Target Pulls Pokemon TCG Products from All U.S. Stores Amid Attack Incident

unknown.png

We are even getting a new set

I get what you're saying but I think that's basically why theme decks were discontinued lol
Possibly. Another key reason is that it’s a real feels-bad if you’re a kid to spend 3 on a Pokémon TCG pre-constructed deck with no V’s and many, many duplicates, trainers, and basic Energy in it when you can get a $20 box with a V Promo and up to 40 unique cards, most of them featuring Pokémon, and the possibility of pulling one or more extra Vs or other similar cards. By putting a V in the decks, they make it much more appealing to children, who are more satisfied with their purchase (or more likely, their birthday/Christmas present). Besides, a kid who is actually PLAYING with a theme deck isn’t going to care if the deck isn’t the most consistent or balanced, but is just going to enjoy playing it and make whatever changes he or she wants to (which sometimes means crippling the deck by replacing all the duplicate Pokémon with other Pokémon and creating an abundance of 1/1-1/1-1-1 lines). The point of a theme deck is to teach young players how to play the game by giving them a simple deck with an enjoyable selection of Pokémon. Putting Vs in the theme decks wasn’t just a cash grab; it is a way of showing that they care about kids (even if it also made theme decks scalpable for the first time in Pokémon history, which was unfortunate but which is already in the process of being remedied).
EDIT: not the first time Theme Decks have been scalped. I was forgetting the Vivid Voltage Charizard deck.

Last edited:
Possibly. Another key reason is that it’s a real feels-bad if you’re a kid to spend 3 on a Pokémon TCG pre-constructed deck with no V’s and many, many duplicates, trainers, and basic Energy in it when you can get a $20 box with a V Promo and up to 40 unique cards, most of them featuring Pokémon, and the possibility of pulling one or more extra Vs or other similar cards. By putting a V in the decks, they make it much more appealing to children, who are more satisfied with their purchase (or more likely, their birthday/Christmas present). Besides, a kid who is actually PLAYING with a theme deck isn’t going to care if the deck isn’t the most consistent or balanced, but is just going to enjoy playing it and make whatever changes he or she wants to (which sometimes means crippling the deck by replacing all the duplicate Pokémon with other Pokémon and creating an abundance of 1/1-1/1-1-1 lines). The point of a theme deck is to teach young players how to play the game by giving them a simple deck with an enjoyable selection of Pokémon. Putting Vs in the theme decks wasn’t just a cash grab; it is a way of showing that they care about kids (even if it also made theme decks scalpable for the first time in Pokémon history, which was unfortunate but which is already in the process of being remedied).
EDIT: not the first time Theme Decks have been scalped. I was forgetting the Vivid Voltage Charizard deck.

For sure, I definitely think the V battle decks are a lot more satisfying products overall! I did like the cracked ice holo pattern for the deck exclusives, I hope they find some way to bring it back.

Back