Target Pulls Pokemon TCG Products from All U.S. Stores Amid Attack Incident

Soundwave

Aspiring Trainer
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I called it, although I will admit I'm both shocked and disappointed that it's in part due to someone being stupid with weapons.

The guy was carrying a gun legally and used it for it's intended purpose after he was ATTACKED by 4 grown men, AND he didn't even fire it. How is this someone being stupid with weapons?

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Is it just me, or is MTG completely unaffected by this ban?
Not sure if Target stocks Yu-Gi-Oh, but I know they stock Magic The Gathering and it doesn't appear to be on that list.
As far as I know (and I'm not monitoring the MTG situation that closely), MTG has moved a lot of its more scalp-y releases to a direct-to-customer online sale model. They're also releasing a ton of products that are intended for scalpers only, limited editions of expensive cards and such.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I feel awful for the kiddies who just want some Pokémon card packs. I would've just been emotionally crushed if this was going on back when I'd go to the store each week and get to pick a pack of Plasma Blast or XY Flashfire...

Well, it is crushing for the kids, but it's also for their protection, since some people just don't seem to know how to behave civil on the subject of Pokémon cards. As unlikely as it is that any ONE person could be subjected to the same unpleasantness as the aforementioned incident, its still a risk that most parents will be happy not to subject their kids to. Imagine people waylaying other people in Target parking lots just to bypass customer limits by lifting other people's well earned product. And thankfully, most kids don't open sealed product that often (the most common times I imagine are during birthdays and Christmas), and I have a feeling that by the end of the year there will be more product than we know what to do with and the kids for whom this industry was originally intended will have their pick of the lot.
Also, I just want to point out that the only one who we KNOW had a weapon was the person being attacked, who was carrying it legally and only threatened to use it to defend himself.
Anyways, stay safe!

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
If it's getting to the point where adults are getting physical about a children's toy then there are other more pressing issues at hand than just a card shortage.

LOL guess you all forget about the times adults fought over Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo, Beanie Babies and Furbies. This is not the first time dumb fucks fight over kids toys and it sure as shit won't be the last of it.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
This bubble will pop, eventually, and a new trend will attract people’s attention and the riffraff will go away on it’s own.

Just have to wait it out.

professsorpoke

NO 3 S's is not a typo
I think Target is wrong to remove Pokemon cards since the incident in question had nothing to do with Pokemon cards.

That being said I’m not surprised by the scalpers and whatnot. Pokemon adds 5 billion ultra rares to every set now, Charizards worth 1,000’s. Gone are the days of XY and Black and White (when I still purchased Pokemon cards) when you could go and buy single or three packs and had a decent shot at finishing the set.
yeah it's wierd why are they removing Pokemon cards but not MTG when they argument was about none of them.

Malavok

Aspiring Trainer
I didn’t even realize Target carried TCG cards anymore. None of the stores I’ve been to in CO, CA, NM, TX, and OK have had any on their shelves in a couple years. Didn’t realize some stores still had them.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
But remember, scalpers aren't the problem; supply is the problem, right? RIGHT??

Ranger64

Mewtwo Mastermind
There are no Target stores in Canada anyways, so I am unaffected by this lol
I think local hobby stores handle this situation better - read my thread "Where are the Scalpers?"
I saw that thread. Now I'm considering moving.

Johnny2316

Aspiring Trainer
This scalping thing has gone too far. Way too far. It's like Black Friday for Pokemon Cards. People are insane, and I think Target made the right decision to stop selling these cards that adults are going crazy over. Plus, what if the kiddos out there want cards? Now they won't have any because people are absolute jerks over this. It needs to stop. Seriously. I hate how every product is basically almost extinct from stores because of it. STOP THE SCALPING.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
When I was at Target earlier, they still had cards in an empty locked case near the video games.

Probably just temporarily holding them there to remove them when the store closed, but I low key wanted the Battle Styles blister with the galaxy foil Charmander. I hadn’t found that one yet.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
So there are several things wrong with government-issued IDs. Government-issued IDs are a terrible idea because then the government basically controls what you can and cannot do because if you do something they don't like they could suspend you. Say something bad about the president ID, suspended. Vote for a different candidate, suspended. This is an overeach of the governments power and another step toward a country without free speech. If your ID was suspended it would be much harder to get a job, you may or may not be able to leagaly drive, you could be denied access to voting and so on. The stopping grinch bots act is a good thing but the government does not need to be the one enforcing this. They do not have the right to monitor what we do on the internet.
I’m only suggesting it since it’d give stores more identifying information that would allow them to ban bot-equipped scalpers, if you have any other ideas I’m sure we’d all love to hear it
yeah it's wierd why are they removing Pokemon cards but not MTG when they argument was about none of them.
As its been said earlier in the thread MTG has a smaller financial return compared to sports cards and Pokémon cards. I’ve also heard horror stories involving scalpers getting confrontational with vendors, Target employees, and other customers.