Talonflame BREAK, Captivating Pokepuff Promos!

I do not like this talonflame because it is a reprint of a card we already have, Mega houndoom! The difference is one is a stage 3 that does 10 less damage and 40 less hp while the other is a mega and gives up 2 prize cards. Greninja break is hard enough to get out so good luck making a deck around it...and mega houndoom struggled against other mega pokemon that could 1 shot if you went first and got 2 burning energy on the houndoom a link and the mega doom but the beauty of it was it could be possible to get a 160 atk, while this thing...good luck. Maybe if it did 200 damage for 3 energy then discard all energy it might see some play...

Pokepuff I am not sure why you would want to play this card since you will hardly want to fill their bench with opponent's pokemon...maybe part of deliquent and some mil decks have another tech card to add. Maybe it can be used after you hex maniac them they empty their hand to nothing then you play this and they can't use shaymin's ability?

Last edited:
The heck? Where'd this come from? I wouldn't doubt if we saw Talonflame BREAK in XY11 here or in that BREAK Evolution Box (the second one). And they made a Pokepuff card? I honestly thought they woulda done this by XY4. However now that it's coming up so late, I kinda forgot about its concept. However I see it being a great combo with Sky Field and Mega Rayquaza EX. I doubt this will be used to frequently but hey I may use it. As for the Talonflame BREAK? Come on it's a STAGE 3. Not a convenient choice for competitive play.

Captivating pokepuff will work well with shiftry from flash fire to power up his deranged dance faster. Also this might work well against night march to bench the opponents pokemon so they can't discard them to power up the damage output

Uh... since when did Mega Doom turn into a weak bird? a stage 4 bird, at that. No, thanks. I'll pass and keep my pretty Doomy deck.

I can't say that it doesn't look pretty nice, tho.

Poke puff for Shaymin EX sans effect, lysandre/escape rope, KO that thing. B) other than that, I'm not sure poke puff is all that great.

Pokepuff will be used the same way Erika's Perfume was used - namely to shove basics on your opponents bench in order to delay their damage (cramming a bunch of night march basics on their bench) or prevent them from using on-play abilities like Shaymin. Seriously XY has all of my favorite cards back in it, we have Pokeflute (target whistle), Clefairy Doll (robo substitute), Secret Mission (Psychic's Third Eye) and Erika's Perfume (Pokepuff). If we can just get in another Recycle reprint that would cover all of my pre-neo favorite trainers.

Pokepuff! I like that card!

Zoroark from Breakthrough will certainly like it too. (30+ for every Pokémon on your opponent's bench) It also counters all the abilities from basics that are activated when played from the hand. Like Shaymin's Set up.

I see scary Shaymin-EX first-turn dropping shenanigans with that Pokepuff and Delinquent! o.o

This Pokepuff can counter in T1 :

- Night March (instead of discarding, you pull all you can in bench)
- Shaymin EX
- Vespiquen deck (instead of discarding)

Or giving more power to Zoroark Mind Jack.

pokepuff is a very interesting mechanic, i don't think it will see play over target whistle due to the random factor

need to see the rest of the Talonflame line to really judge this card, the attack seems fine with burning energy or blacksmith, but if it's on an effective stage 3 its gotta be completely insane like greninja

Captivating Pokepuff will work great with Buddy-Buddy Rescue, Lass' Recommendation, Lucario , Zoroark, Shiftry, Trevenant BREAK, Mega Audiono EX, and Mega Alakazam EX.

The official Pokémon blog which revealed Captivating Poképuff also offered a pretty complete and much-needed FAQ about its effect (they have to, considering they're releasing this card just a few days before this year's biggest tournament series in Japan). The main points being :
- If you use Captivating Poképuff to force a come-into-play-ability Pokémon (such as Shaymin EX or Hoopa EX) from your opponent's hand to their bench, they get to decide whether or not to use the ability.
- If you pick several Pokémon with such abilities (let's say, one Shaymin EX and one Hoopa EX), their owner decides in which order to activate them.

Although that means you can't deny the abilities' effects, you are still able to mess with your opponent's plans by forcing them to activate their abilities at a less-than-optimal timing (you'd usually want to play your hand a bit before putting down that Shaymin). As mentioned by someone else previously, there's an extra mean combo in Hex Maniac + Captivating Poképuff. I also like the prospect of grabbing the Poképuff from an early N, and deciding for my opponent what to do with their new hand.
Funny how this new card seems to weaken both of the current format's most expensive cards (as already proven with the infamous Escape Rope + Lysandre trick, Jolteon EX doesn't enjoy having uninvited guests on the bench).
And I do agree that it will hinder Night March more than it will help it (it will help it a bit though) : Night March is all about resources management, and they won't like it one bit if you start managing their resources for them.

pokepuff is a very interesting mechanic, i don't think it will see play over target whistle due to the random factor

Target Whistle always has effect, that is if you are able to use it. Target Whistle is useless in multiple situations. For example during the first turn when there are no Pokémon in the discard Pile. Or when your opponent adjusts their playstyle so they don't get any basics in their discard pile. And even if you do knock-out a Pokémon, it might very well be a big basic EX you don't really want back in play. With Captivating Poképuff you get a fair change to get multiple Pokémon on the opponent's bench, sure a certain one with Target Whistle may sound more consistent than a possible zero. But currently discarding a Pokémon from your hand is not easy. (You can with Ultra Ball but you have to search another Pokémon, and with Sycamore/Juniper you might very well get another hand with 1 or 2 basic Pokémon) Everyone has about 5 to 10 basics in their deck. Or else you will suffer from mulligans.

Also the ability to disable your opponent's Shaymin EX during the first turn is really something. (Edit: scratch that, why would they ignore the ruling on Shaymin EX and Hoopa EX etc :( well, at least you get some control)

Pokepuff almost sounds like the "Erika's Perfume" card from Gym heroes, which was used to combo with Dark Hypno's "Bench Manipulation" attack, back when Wizards of the Coast held the rights to the Pokemon cards.
However, Erika's Perfume only let you choose one basic Pokemon in your opponents hand, not as many as you like, so that's a huge change right there.
It was an extremely gimmicky deck, and didn't see much play at all, but hey it was a fun concept.

How a pokepuff deck could be used is with the Empoleon card with Diving draw, and sky field stadium, in Expanded, or one of the Rayquaza ex cards. (can't remember which one), but it was one in Roaring skies.
and I'm pretty sure you can use this card to bench your opponents Shaymin EX they might have in their hand, and the ability wouldn't take affect. Same goes for other EX cards that you don't use to attack with, but have an ability that only activates if put on the bench like Hoopa and Jirachi.

I like the idea behind Pokepuff, but giving that kind of disruption to every deck is going to be really frustrating. I'll hold off on my opinions about it until I see it played. If Turn 1 becomes even more important for using Pokepuff for Shaymins, Night Marchers, or Lysandre targets, it'll be real annoying.

Back