Ruling Taking back

TDA

I know gliscor's future :P
Suppose i have a hippo with an energy on the field,and i attach an upper energy to it,then i level it up,but i want to take back the upper energy,is it allowed?

No.

Unless of course you ask your opponent permission to take back the energy play. (I think most would say no anyways).

If you let go of a card, the opponent has the right to prevent you from taking it back, unless your move was illegal, which you obviously have to take back.

Same rules as chess basically. Same thing goes for verbally. Even if you say "Fainting sp.... never mind", the judges will probably make you do it.
Also, if you declare an attack, and have insufficent energy, you must use an attack that you can attack with instead. You can not attach energy to enable that attack. Try to avoid these mistakes, as it's cost me, and many other players crucial wins.

Juliacoolo said:
Same rules as chess basically. Same thing goes for verbally. Even if you say "Fainting sp.... never mind", the judges will probably make you do it.
Also, if you declare an attack, and have insufficent energy, you must use an attack that you can attack with instead. You can not attach energy to enable that attack. Try to avoid these mistakes, as it's cost me, and many other players crucial wins.

Just clarify I always believe you where allowed to attach an energy if your opponent allowe it and you hadn't already used the attachment for this turn

The Pain said:
Juliacoolo said:

Just to clarify, I always believe you were allowed to attach an energy if your opponent allowed it and you hadn't already used the attachment for this turn

yes that is true, but I can't think of many opponents who would allow it...

In almost EVERY case, it would be more beneficial for your opponent to block the attachment and force you to use a lesser attack.

this cost me at worlds. I was playing flygon and needed to do 100 dmg to my opponent for my final prize. I had a flygon out with 2 energies and 3 evolved pokemon on my bench, and a basic. I ended up using TWO cosmic powers, and an Uxie set-up in order to get the cards I needed to evolve the other basic for my fourth evolution. The entire turn I was repeating in my head, "once you're done with everything else attach this energy and use power swing", over and over again. I looked down at my flygon and saw two fighting energies, and the little tiny fighting symbol on the top right of the trapinch underneath my flygon, I thought was an energy. so I announced power swing for the KO, without attaching. he forced me to use sandwall and on the next turn ko'ed my flygon for his last prize.

that was the match that made me go 4-4 instead of 5-3, just barely missing topcut in my flight.

Frodus said:
The Pain said:
Juliacoolo said:

Just to clarify, I always believe you were allowed to attach an energy if your opponent allowed it and you hadn't already used the attachment for this turn

yes that is true, but I can't think of many opponents who would allow it...

In almost EVERY case, it would be more beneficial for your opponent to block the attachment and force you to use a lesser attack.

this cost me at worlds. I was playing flygon and needed to do 100 dmg to my opponent for my final prize. I had a flygon out with 2 energies and 3 evolved pokemon on my bench, and a basic. I ended up using TWO cosmic powers, and an Uxie set-up in order to get the cards I needed to evolve the other basic for my fourth evolution. The entire turn I was repeating in my head, "once you're done with everything else attach this energy and use power swing", over and over again. I looked down at my flygon and saw two fighting energies, and the little tiny fighting symbol on the top right of the trapinch underneath my flygon, I thought was an energy. so I announced power swing for the KO, without attaching. he forced me to use sandwall and on the next turn ko'ed my flygon for his last prize.

that was the match that made me go 4-4 instead of 5-3, just barely missing topcut in my flight.
Worlds?you mean nats dont you?

Back