Supreme Court strikes down Prop 8 & Defense of Marriage Act

Elite Stride

♫ I'm on the road to Viridian City ♫
The Supreme court made historic rulings this morning regarding California's Prop 8, which for those of you who don't know, was a law passed by CA voters back in 2008 that made gay marriage illegal. They also ruled against the Defense of Marriage Act, a U.S. Federal law that was passed in the 90's that defined marriage as strictly between a man and a woman and basically denied gay couples state recognition and certain marriage benefits straight couples received.

Naturally, there are supporters and dissenters of the ruling. Personally, I would have seriously questioned our country's integrity if the court had ruled in favor of the laws. I think it would have been very interesting to see how it played out if the court had ruled in favor of Prop 8 and the Act because President Obama has taken a supportive stance on gay marriage, and as we all know, the Executive Branch is responsible for executing and enforcing Supreme Court rule. As I have expressed to people here before, there was really nothing more unconstitutional than the laws against gay marriage. It's pretty ridiculous that freedom of marriage was ever under question when you really think of it; it imposes on human equality sooo much.

How do you guys feel about this ruling? How will the population react over the coming weeks? Will it be enforced without any issues? Have we heard the last on gay marriage, or do you see a long ass future in the controversy of the debate? What are you thinking?

It disappoints me that things like this qualify as news. This should be happening already, it shouldn't be such a big deal that the Supreme Court needs to make a ruling on it.

More freedom is good. It upsets me that we need more.

I have a friend who believes this ruling violates the 10th Amendment in the US Constitution, which I find hard to argue with.

Personally, I'm okay with this ruling. I mean, it is, more or less, just telling States to acknowledge ALL citizens who are legal and not just those they choose to. In other words, for homosexuals, this is a big step, but not, say, illegals.

I have a friend who believes this ruling violates the 10th Amendment in the US Constitution, which I find hard to argue with.
When you say "hard to argue with" I hope you mean because of the arrogance in the statement, not because you agree with it.
I'm glad to hear this. It's good progress, not detrimental to society's movement forward as a whole.

Today I am free...
I am allowed to be me.
For this is the day of equality.

So seize the day.
The opportunities await...
Be proud to be gay,
Because we are born this way.

It's not the last we'll hear of it by a long shot, but it is a huge step forward. Here's hoping they don't try to pass the same bill over and over under different names (looking at you, SOPA...)

YAAAAAY
America is the country of freedom and if that freedom is blocked that blockage must be undone. This is a great day for the nation.

The fact that the American Government has wedged itself into marriage at all is sad in itself. I say it shouldn't really bother religious or straight folks, it's not like gay unions are doing traditional christian/catholic marriages. They are doing marriage their own way and so I don't think it should offend anyone. As long as everyone respects other's beliefs whether you agree with them or not. For example; I was born Catholic, raised Christian, but I am planning to marry my fiancee using her belief system. She's a Wiccan (Neo-Pagan) and so we will do a Handfasting. I have the utmost respect for both my Christian and Catholic upbringing although I do not follow either religion now. I also have respect for my fiancee's religion although I do not follow it either.

On that note I'd like to also say it's folks right to agree or disagree with the ruling so let's not try to bash each other even if we don't agree with it. Otherwise we turn into the oppressor, the bigot, the tyrant just because we all don't share the same views.

Yes because yelling "God hates (you know the word)" is perfectly ok and we should respect anybody who says that and their opinion.

If you personally disagree? Ok, that's fine I suppose. But if you force your WRONG opinion on everyone and that affects their rights, whether it be homosexuals or not, you're just a complete and utter prick.

I was very happy to see this news come down yesterday afternoon. I don't live in the US anymore, but it always saddened and disappointed me how my LGBT friends were basically treated like lesser members of society in a country that supposedly prides itself on freedom and opportunity. Striking down DOMA and Prop 8 are only small steps on the road to full LGBT rights in the US, but they are important ones, and the publicity for these rulings should do wonders for the LGBT community as a whole, especially for those still fighting for their rights in states like my own home state of Illinois, where civil unions are allowed but full marriage rights are currently being discussed/tabled by the state government.

I can't wait until 20-30 years from now and Americans look back at how the US used to be in regards to LGBT rights and just shake their heads sadly, the same way they do now with minority rights and interracial marriages back in the 60s and 70s. People are people and love is love.

Glad to see this happen. It's a big step forward in the fight for equality. Hopefully state legislatures will see this as a sign to start up talks of legalizing gay marriage and getting rid of anti-LGBT policies again in their states, if they haven't already done so.

I feel inspired to pull a similar stunt in my home state of Georgia. Our archaic laws regarding SSM are unconstitutional.

Really excited for my gay friends and excited that something this good was allowed to happen, especially after the Supremes dropping the Voting Rights Act. but still, a lot of people are saying "LGBT" but...

hU8ZkfO.jpg

It keeps happening

Back