Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh I talked with bb about this before and I did a bit of research into it. It turns out that the quote people always use (the one along the lines of "man shall not lie with man as he does woman") is actually in Leviticus, which is in the Old Testament. This is important because when Jesus came down to Earth, who is, let's not forget, God incarnate and thus his word is final, he actually disregarded the Old Testament, more specifically all of the random laws spread throughout there. This is why Christians ignore all of the things talked about in the links spread throughout this thread, like not shaving, going to church testicles or no testicles, and not eating bacon. This means that that quote in particular isn't even relevant any more.

Also during my research I found out two more interesting things:
1) The Bible has two gay couples in it -- Ruth x Naomi and David x Jonathan. I don't know a huge lot about them, but Ruth has her own chapters in The Bible somewhere, and David was a king. This proves that Christianity was always at the very least tolerant of gays, but I would go as far to say they advocate it...

2) There is a story in The Bible of Jesus meeting a roman soldier. This roman soldier was actually really nice, modest etc., and he talked to Jesus about one of his servants, saying that he was sick. Jesus questioned why the roman soldier cared for this servant -- after all, romans saw servants as disposable at the time. The soldier explained that he was in a relationship with this servant. Jesus then healed the servant and actually commended the roman for following his faith and beliefs despite it going against his "honour" as a roman soldier. Jesus literally praised a guy for being gay (and for approaching Jesus about his servant being sick). God, the whole point of Christianity, wants gays to follow their urges. If Christians want to be like Jesus, hating on gays is going against their faith. It's kinda funny, really.

I just found it interesting, so I thought I'd post it. n~n
I hate to rain on your parade, but if you read the standard english translation of the Bible, neither of those things are mentioned in the bible. It is correct that the Catholic translation of the bible is the closest to the original out there, other churches and religions tend to warp the words for their church (not saying other churches are bad, it's just how it is often times). there are about 10 - 20 different translations of the bible, it just depends which translation you are reading from.

Here is the English Standard Version from Matthew 8
5 When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, 6 “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” 7 And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” 8 But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you as you have believed.” And the servant was healed at that very moment.

I hate to rain on your parade, but if you read the standard english translation of the Bible, neither of those things are mentioned in the bible. It is correct that the Catholic translation of the bible is the closest to the original out there, other churches and religions tend to warp the words for their church (not saying other churches are bad, it's just how it is often times). there are about 10 - 20 different translations of the bible, it just depends which translation you are reading from.

Actually, I think you might have it a bit backwards. Apparently, the Roman Catholic Text is the most furthest away from the original. The majority of the text present in the Roman Catholic portion of the religion is considered man-made. For example, the original text never says anything about the following which Catholics do teach: apostolic succession, worship of saints or Mary, prayer to saints or Mary, the pope / papacy, infant baptism, transubstantiation, plenary indulgences, the sacramental system, and purgatory.

The original text is meant to be, "If you accept Jesus as savior, you're saved."
Catholic text says, "You may only be saved if baptized, Obey the degrees of the Roman Catholic Church, Not die with any mortal sin (Homosexuality by catholic law considered.), receive the Eucharist, AND accept Jesus as savior."

CLEARLY there is a big difference, and shows how the Catholics have made up several man made Christian Laws. Some of which are note worthy towards those self proclaimed "Christians" believing that Homosexuality will be punished. Who made this law? The original text didn't.

Basically... Catholicism is considered a false religion in Christianity sense.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post sources on this site, but I can provide where I've gotten this information from if requested. A google search yourself would probably just speak a thousand words alone.

Now am I saying other areas of ministry are correct like Methodist? No, I never looked into those groups as thoroughly yet, however I can say the Catholic translation is VERY far off.

Actually, I think you might have it a bit backwards. Apparently, the Roman Catholic Text is the most furthest away from the original. The majority of the text present in the Roman Catholic portion of the religion is considered man-made. For example, the original text never says anything about the following which Catholics do teach: apostolic succession, worship of saints or Mary, prayer to saints or Mary, the pope / papacy, infant baptism, transubstantiation, plenary indulgences, the sacramental system, and purgatory.

The original text is meant to be, "If you accept Jesus as savior, you're saved."
Catholic text says, "You may only be saved if baptized, Obey the degrees of the Roman Catholic Church, Not die with any mortal sin (Homosexuality by catholic law considered.), receive the Eucharist, AND accept Jesus as savior."

CLEARLY there is a big difference, and shows how the Catholics have made up several man made Christian Laws. Some of which are note worthy towards those self proclaimed "Christians" believing that Homosexuality will be punished. Who made this law? The original text didn't.

Basically... Catholicism is considered a false religion in Christianity sense.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post sources on this site, but I can provide where I've gotten this information from if requested. A google search yourself would probably just speak a thousand words alone.

Now am I saying other areas of ministry are correct like Methodist? No, I never looked into those groups as thoroughly yet, however I can say the Catholic translation is VERY far off.

To add to this, if the Mormons are correct, all forms of Christianity are wrong as both God and Jesus came to J.Smith and told him that all are wrong and that he should reestablish the one 'true' church. On top of that, its the most recent Jesus faith so that has to mean something, right?

By definition, Christianity is simply just the belief in one Deity, and acceptance of Jesus Christ. It's just that there are many different split groups and teachings which make up their own laws, make actual translations but misword things here and there, or, as the group I'm apart of, simply do not accept any teachings, but rather focus on simple mortal standards and accept Christ as Lord. We have "some" translations.. there will never be a perfect translation from the original text.. Catholics just take that further step not mistranslating, but making things not even there.

By definition, Christianity is simply just the belief in one Deity, and acceptance of Jesus Christ. It's just that there are many different split groups and teachings which make up their own laws, make actual translations but misword things here and there, or, as the group I'm apart of, simply do not accept any teachings, but rather focus on simple mortal standards and accept Christ as Lord. We have "some" translations.. there will never be a perfect translation from the original text.. Catholics just take that further step not mistranslating, but making things not even there.

But whats new? Things like Hell and some other stuff was never mention either. Of course this can all be fixed if God comes down and give clear directions as to what he wants.

I think you misunderstand what I was trying to explain. There is a huge difference between the bible and the rules of the Catholic Church. It seems a lot like nitpicking between rules when you look at the bible, but the fact is, the bible was not made as a rule book, but rather as a book of teaching. Catholics don't use the bible to make the rules. As well as the fact that the Catholic church does not accept homosexuality, it doesn't hate it with a burning passion. This is said in the bible that Jesus gave the first Pope (Peter) the direct authority in the church because he knew that he would make the correct choices for the church in both laws and in tradition. Jesus does not directly control the church laws and neither does the bible. True the laws are made by Catholics but they are made by the Cardinals and Popes that have been blessed with something called Holy Orders which is what Jesus gave to Peter. It gives them the right and the blessing to both spread the word of Christ and convert others to the Christian faith. You are correct that there will never be a perfect translation, but the best way to understand the bible is to read it in it's original dialect. If you believe in the bible, then you should agree that Jesus did give men the authority to make changes and rules over the Church. Christianity follows the idea of a supreme deity and the belief in Jesus Christ, how is it considered a false Religion? Another thing to remember, don't let a few people speak for the church itself, just because a couple of people claim that homosexuals are going to burn in hell doesn't mean the church agrees with this right? Another thing to remember, the bible isn't exact in what it means, most of it is in the form of metaphors or is not clear in english.

I'm not going to read any of the previous posts, I don't want to end up disliking someone for having a stupid opinion. I'm just happy I'll be able to marry my boyfriend of three years, so we can get the same benefits as everyone else. Us getting married shouldn't affect your marriage, and if it does, your marriage sucks.

Are they really/officially using fake unofficial words (lazy to check and wants a converation) it should be Heterosexual not straight, Homosexual not gay, smile/laugh not LOL, etc.
I remember when I was registering my MySpace profile/account and it asked me those fake words so I had to ask my friends that were around what did those words meant :p

Just did a quick Google search and found "same sex marriage" much better.

Guys, why does everyone have to fight about this? To so many people it is such a happy time, yet you seem to be proud to go and rain on their parade. Imagine all the gays and how overjoyed they are right now. How happy they must be. How happy would you be if you were declined the rite to marry for so long, and finally, all of a sudden, you can marry? I know, though I am still young, I would be just ecstatic. Can we all just put away our hate, and be happy for them? There is really no need to fight, because honestly, no opinions that I see are changing here. So I think we can be happy for everyone.
And to those who say it's a matter of religion, Jesus died 2,000 years ago. Who knows, maybe he's changed his mind!
After all, The Lord loves everyone, correct?

The catholic church has been raping children for thousands of years and this is socially known and most royalty or nobility was the start of high end prostitution which is the oldest known profession next to war and famine. Want to blame someone for why the world is the way it is, it's nonsensical beliefs like religion or etc blame us. Dude Jesus spent 7 years with 12 guys in seclusion, what's to say he's not gay? The things we think we know versus what we don't know is more powerful then what we can comprehend when we find the truth, when the bible is no longer the truth (it's been openly remarked as edited works, so what's to say that it's not just edited propaganda to ensure that people stay in the religion?).

This coming from someone who studies history over religion.

Edit: personally idc, and if it's your thing fine but don't go pushing it onto me because I don't do the same thing to you, just be real about it.

Straight, catholic male here. I don't care what skin instrument you're playing, nor does most people that I associate with. We even had a gay man recently join my church, so that's pretty cool. Unlike in previous years, newer generations of parents and current media are teaching us to be tolerant of gays.

Dude Jesus spent 7 years with 12 guys in seclusion, what's to say he's not gay?

tumblr_nr15thWaQe1tmldg6o1_500.gif

Guys, why does everyone have to fight about this? To so many people it is such a happy time, yet you seem to be proud to go and rain on their parade. Imagine all the gays and how overjoyed they are right now. How happy they must be. How happy would you be if you were declined the rite to marry for so long, and finally, all of a sudden, you can marry? I know, though I am still young, I would be just ecstatic. Can we all just put away our hate, and be happy for them? There is really no need to fight, because honestly, no opinions that I see are changing here. So I think we can be happy for everyone.
And to those who say it's a matter of religion, Jesus died 2,000 years ago. Who knows, maybe he's changed his mind!
After all, The Lord loves everyone, correct?

Um...well, there's an old saying, "Love the sinner; hate the sin."

Besides the obvious repercussions this has for people like me (Christian here), I think we won't have problems until someone starts thinking that your actions define you permanently (and He knows how many crazy people have done that)...

Straight, catholic male here. I don't care what skin instrument you're playing, nor does most people that I associate with. We even had a gay man recently join my church, so that's pretty cool. Unlike in previous years, newer generations of parents and current media are teaching us to be tolerant of gays.

tumblr_nr15thWaQe1tmldg6o1_500.gif

As for what Yo-Yo's said, I grieve with you.

The catholic church has been raping children for thousands of years and this is socially known and most royalty or nobility was the start of high end prostitution which is the oldest known profession next to war and famine. Want to blame someone for why the world is the way it is, it's nonsensical beliefs like religion or etc blame us. Dude Jesus spent 7 years with 12 guys in seclusion, what's to say he's not gay? The things we think we know versus what we don't know is more powerful then what we can comprehend when we find the truth, when the bible is no longer the truth (it's been openly remarked as edited works, so what's to say that it's not just edited propaganda to ensure that people stay in the religion?).

This coming from someone who studies history over religion.

Edit: personally idc, and if it's your thing fine but don't go pushing it onto me because I don't do the same thing to you, just be real about it.

Spending time with people doesn't constitute romantic love...ugh. The Greeks had words for different kinds of love so they wouldn't be having these stupid arguments ugh

If I came up to you on any random day and you were with your mother, could I accuse you of being incestful?

If I came up to you on any random day and you were in the vicinity of a bunch of girls at your school/college, could I accuse you of being a creep?

If I came up to you on any random day and you were listening to a lecture from a pediatrician on the human reproductive system, could I accuse you of being a pedophile?

Well as for what he said, is there any evidence to prove he wasn't? Not saying there is a good point of it but I dont think there's ever been a 7 year bro hang out without some male urges coming out at some point. epididymal hypertension is a thing, which according to the bible is a sin.

Ok so, this thread is getting seriously off topic again. I don't think it's about Jesus being gay so please keep things related to MARRIAGE and the SCOTUS decision.

Its ok to discuss these things in your posts but remember the posts need to be central to the topic at hand! This is the last warning before I lock this thread for good.

It concerns me that most of the discussion here regarding the Bible seems to be based off Google searches of small portions rather than any actual understanding of the text. It's a massive book and the easiest thing in the world (apparently) to misinterpret. I know that Christians you've hypothetically gotten into arguments with on the Internet before probably blabber on and on about 'context' and it sounds like a weak argument, but seriously, there comes a point where you actually have to give the Bible the benefit of the doubt and try to look at the big picture.
I'm going to be honest and say I don't have as much knowledge of the actual text as I ought, but... even I cringed at all the misinformation I saw last time I read through here. I would try to remedy that, but despite the amount of time I'm spending on this post I actually have other things to do. Yes, I realize that's kind of hypocritical; I'm sorry.

Oh, and as for this-
But whats new? Things like Hell and some other stuff was never mention either. Of course this can all be fixed if God comes down and give clear directions as to what he wants.

First, Hell is never mentioned by name, but- actually, it is; there are several references to Hades. Also a lake of fire Satan gets tossed in and, in one of several 'heaven-as-wedding-feast' analogies, the darkness outside God's 'house' that many are left in because they all were "busy" that day. Sounds like hell to me.
Second, that's what the Bible is for. Yes, there are plenty of nuances that people disagree over, but I think the basics are quite clear- at least when people aren't preoccupied with mastering the form of religion rather than its substance. "Love your neighbor as yourself", anyone? To paraphrase (and add to) C. S. Lewis, we don't necessarily feel any love for ourselves, but we (generally) forgive ourselves, look out for ourselves and try to improve ourselves. We can also acknowledge that we are not always good people but (generally) not hate ourselves. I suppose not even that is readily apparent- I hadn't really thought of it that way until I read Lewis' Mere Christianity- but even if you don't think through every implication, "love your neighbor as yourself" sounds like having a great amount of patience, forgiveness and good intentions.
On that note, I apologize if this post tends towards being inflammatory at one point or another. I don't know if it shows, but I got a bit worked up while typing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back