Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Don't forget about Little Mac. He seems to be a close combat guy as well as some of the Zelda and FE guys too.:)

Well I guess I plan on using (in order of use) Lucina (I already know how to play Marth decently so why not give a new character a shot), Little Mac (Dat ground game tho and I'm sure we can find a way to compensate air game), Mega Man (after a lot of practice with him I think he can shape up to be a pretty decent fighter), Robin (I don't know why he's just cool), and maybe Mario (I hear he got buffed so yay) or Kirby (same as Mario yay).

I'm also very excited to see how Mii Fighters and Villager hold up.

Can't wait to be maining ZSS and Lucario again like in SSBB. For newer characters, I might try Lucina and Greninja. Robin also looks pretty cute cool.

PMJ said:
Also I'd be more into Lucina if she had boobs. I mean, even assuming she's bound her chest, she's gotta be like a small C at best.

e5KCgeD.png

Too bad they're not as big as her archer model misleads you to think.
(... n-not like I care how big her boobies are. Constricting your chest is a great disguise when pretending to be a legendary male swordsman.:C)

I'll be playing a lot of both Samus and Zero Suit Samus and likely maining them as well. I'm very happy that they both seem to be very good characters in this game and generally better than their Brawl versions. Samus was awful in Brawl but I enjoy using her in Melee. Zero Suit was still very good in Brawl and remains my main, but I'm hoping that her changes work well for me in 4.

I honestly hope some characters will get a boost (looking at you, Ganondorf). It's just sad that some of the most intriguing members of the cast just seemed so subpar in Brawl. Ganondorf would make a great fighter, if only he was given a bit more attention.

Have all the stages and items been revealed yet? If not what other stages and items do we have left to expect?:)

Chaos Jackal said:
I honestly hope some characters will get a nerf due to their godlike status (looking at you, Ganondorf). It's just sad that some of the most intriguing members of the cast just seemed so subpar in Brawl. Ganondorf is a great fighter, if only he was given a bit more sword action and women.

ftfy

What is ftfy? Also with the wide range of characters things will be a bit off balanced unless they add a few more characters that we want to balance the scale. As I said earlier in a post Mario and Zelda/FE characters already weigh down the scale too far. If we had a few more non of those characters things would be more balanced.:)

ftfy is fixed this for you. You'll notice PMJ didn't copy my exact post.

Also, people, please stop complaining about how a franchise gets more attention that others. Mario is Nintendo's signature franchise, used to have many characters anyway, and isn't a surprise it will have many again. Zelda doesn't exactly skyrocket, having 4 characters instead of 3 (unless Sheik and Zelda were different; can someone remind me?) and is again a successful franchise which also happened to launch a game this year. Fire Emblem never had much of a cast in Smash, but with Awakening's success it was only expected. Pokemon also has many cahracters featured, but it's only natural, what with Pokemon being so well-known and widespread. Besides, this Smash's cast is expected to be bigger, so there will probably be room for other characters. What really matters isn't how many characters we get from each franchise-there are characters from many franchises. What really matters is how much of a diversity their styles have. Personally, I could live with 10 Mario characters as long as those characters are different rather than 2 Mario characters and 8 characters from eight franchises that are clones of the two Mario characters or each other.

I think that what people (yes, absurd generalization, I know, but you get my point) don't quite get is that franchises are not equal by any means; not only in standing, but in qualities; mario is the basic one, yes, but how many possible characters could you possibly get away putting in SSB without cloning or introducing useless things (say, toad, baby mario, luigi, etc, dry bones, all those bloody koopalings)?

Or zelda; zelda's main characters are already there: link, ganondorf and zelda; and they threw sheik as a bonus because ocarina is just, THE zelda game; you can't put more without falling into more obscure characters of other zelda games (ghirahim, midna, yuga... I don't know... koloktos? king dodongo? whatever); then, what else? toon link? is he different enough from link to deserve a spot?

Metroid? samus, zero suit samus, and makes sense for them to share a spot, then what? dark samus? clone. Ridley? kraid? too big compared to the other characters; mother brain? has brain in a jar syndrome; the other hunters? virtually unknown. that's it, nothing else.

What else? pikmin? two captains, clones of each other. The pikmin? ha.
Fire emblem? a lot of characters, but heavily customizable and almost clones at that level, right? heavy sword/axe/hammer/tree log, spell, fast sword, not much.
Kid icarus? palutena and pit.
Pokemon, however? you have close to 100 possible characters to choose from; that's after starters and some legendaries.

There is no possible way all franchises are equally represented, especially if you throw pokemon into the mix. Besides, sakurai knows what he's doing (except the part about not giving peach her SPP powers, bloody bastard).

EDIT: Or alternately:
Athena said:
An interesting article where Sakurai talks about his decisions to include Lucina and Robin in SSB while ditching Chrom.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.

Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.

However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.

At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

An interesting look at the behind the scenes process. I was very amused to hear how easy it was to design Robin's movesets, though I'm not surprised.

I don't know why I even bothered... Sakurai had already said the exact same thing, and I hadn't read it until now.

Finally:
that magnificent bastard said:
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Yeah don't forget Mario and Pokemon are pretty much tied for number 1 now. Used o be Mario was number 1 and Pokemon number 2 and Zelda number 3. Now that Mario and Pokemon are tied Zelda is number 2 and Fire Emblem is a close number 3 I think now XD. That all explains why we have so many characters. I don't think we will have any more of those characters other than the others we are expecting. I don't know why I did not think of this earlier though XD.:)

xxashxx said:
Yeah don't forget Mario and Pokemon are pretty much tied for number 1 now. Used o be Mario was number 1 and Pokemon number 2 and Zelda number 3. Now that Mario and Pokemon are tied Zelda is number 2 and Fire Emblem is a close number 3 I think now XD. That all explains why we have so many characters. I don't think we will have any more of those characters other than the others we are expecting. I don't know why I did not think of this earlier though XD.:)

Source? Also fire emblem is nowhere near number 3 it is not even close to as popular or successful as donkey kong or kirby.

Last I heard that was Nintendo's top list. It may have changed within the last year or so though. Last I heard Pokemon was tied with Mario and Zelda was #2 though for sure. Then came Fire Emblem FF series Kirby Mega Man and many others to come too.:)

Back