News 'Sun and Moon Strengthening Expansion Pack'

I feel 70 damage between turns would be more balance but the cost seems about right for such damage. The card seems solid overall. One energy for a possible 120 damage is fun. I think the thing people are missing here is its a Stage 1 Pokemon.

MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Toxapex-GX - I really love this card! 10 dmg. counters = 100 damage per turn is Absolutely superb. It iwas easily countered but, it can be a handy. The GX attack is decent but like what I said, it was easily countered. I'll run this deck, if it is released in English by May or August, with the Moone Altar. Às a side note, Max Elixir, Lunala-GX, Water-type Mareanie, and other energy accels that will pair up to this Corsola-eater.

Last edited:
The Issue with that example is you assume the opposing player sets up Toxapex-GX that way, when it can get rather complex real quickly in practice:

-The player can easily just place an alternate attacker like Hoopa or their own Tauros-GX to develop a benched Mareanie, as well as add an Assault Vest for more protection.
-The Player can use Wally to get it up and running turn one.
-The player, if faced against Tauros-GX as the active pokemon, can easily use this card's own Z-Move to prevent damage done to it.

Of course, I wouldn't exactly try a 1-Turn setup just for the Poisoning attack either - I would rather do careful development at the start, and deal some preliminary damage with the first attack. Max Potion and other healing could work well here, while averaging 60 damage each turn with spike cannon.

Either way, I won't count off its viability just yet - It just needs testing first.

That is not the issue I was assuming, in fact, I simply stated it cannot be set-up that way.

-Alternative attackers, as I said, will require setting up of their own; and the Mareanie can easily die to Lysandre, wasting your efforts.
-Yes, this is true. However, as I explained in my previous two comments, this cannot fight very well without energy. You're leaving it up to luck.
-You cannot use the Z move without 3 energy. I hardly call that easy, as this is the weakness being discussed in the first place. Also, as someone else mentioned, Pokemon Ranger removes that effect.

And in fact Tauros Gx cannot Sevrive at ALL. he can kill him with the Gx Attack ones, but at least the poison count and is a Trade 2 price from 2 price

He survives by curing the poison, which is fairly easy, as I stated in my comment.

I'm not trying to build a damn perfect list I was just informing you people of this cards potential power. I could care less if tauros GX one shots Mareanie and toxapex because it won't be played.

I believe you mentioned... "this card is way too broken," in your original statement.
I'm simply giving proof that it's not.
Getting solo'd by a card that you say people won't even play... doesn't seem very broken to me.

Sidenote: the Tauros comparison was simply a matter of showing what makes a card viable, and less about saying the card counters it.

If you look back to my original post, I have "counters" listed there.

First and foremost, this card is OHKO'd by M Gardevoir, and... being that it's one of the most popular decks... things don't look good for Toxapex in the competitive scene.

Why is this so hyped? This is a BAD card, and won't see any competitive play. It dies to Greninja, Yveltal, Volcanion, Gardevoir, Tauros GX, anything with Pokémon Center Lady, probably Mega Ray if that becomes good for whatever reason, etc. Yes Max Elixir helps speed this up, but Max Elixir only applies to basics, and if you evolve it, you can't use Elixir for the THREE psychic cost to attack. There's a reason cards like this don't get played, and it's too much energy, that is too hard to get out. If you don't evolve Mareanie in order to use Elixir, there's a free Lysandre KO and you go another turn without anything to do. Even if you get 1 set up, it's not exactly going to survive long. It really is just a HORRID version of Primal Groudon, which still doesn't see play.

I hope people realize that in expanded, Keldeo is a staple in most decks and Archeops completely destroys this card. And since expanded is even faster than standard, this card has literally ZERO competitive value. Not to mention in expanded Trevenant will start KOing before you can do anything because, you know, item lock and weakness.
EDIT: And Crushing Hammers

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="gumball51321, post: 2849030, member: 107940"There's a reason cards like this don't get played, and it's too much energy[/QUOTE]

I thing that this card is playable. (of course no on tournament) but is at least very fun to tryed some times. the posion 10 damage is quite enought to try this card (from fun) anyway. Ok this card is no very strong, but at least if opponent is stacked he can give some fun wins...

Not playable. Just like Cheren or Tierno.
Art work is awesome though.

Definitely collectors item.

Very bad card. 4 Energies for a coin flip or a GX attack that does not let you take a Prize card. Nope.

What are you having out as a body to take on your opponents Pokemon, as you set this up?
Don't blindly play the card out in your head, think about what your opponent has to answer it.

The much more viable TaurosGX, solos this card. Easily.
OHKOs Mareanie with a DCE attachment.
OHKOs ToxipexGX with Mad Bull, still just one DCE... forcing you to set up again.

So if you can't have Toxipex up front, what are you running with it as the body?
Hopefully it's not something you have to set up... or else your Toxipex is going to take even longer to be effective.

Do not forget, there are ways to remove Poison, and ways to prevent Poison; thus doing no damage at all.

Best case scenarios are not how TCGs work. It's about consistency.

I'll add to @Lanstar 's post by stating a couple cards I was theorizing as partners for Toxapex-GX.
First and foremost, and I'm extremely sad no one has mentioned this yet... the new Rayquaza Promo from SM1 helps set this card up so much. For a DCE, it attaches 2 Basic Energy from your Discard Pile to a Benched Pokemon. Any Benched Pokemon. Granted, I would probably toss it in to something that utilizes Basic Energy much better (Hint: M Mewtwo-Y), but that's not the point since we're currently discussing Toxapex-GX.

Secondly, most decks will most likely be running Tauros-GX at a minimum of a 1-of. The card is too versatile and strong to not run. That means that you also have the ability to use it as a front liner for Toxapex. Fighting Fury Belt becomes much more useful with both Rayquaza and Tauros-GX in the deck, meaning it can go in too. Heck, you can run the good Mewtwo-EX in this as well considering you have a bunch of Psychic Energy that can now be accelerated, meaning you can Scale Shatter Shot fairly easily (and actually use Damage Swap fairly easily as well). There's 3 Front Line Pokemon all ready and I'm sure we can find more.

Finally, and most importantly... I feel like Toxapex is being misjudged. This isn't a Pokemon that's meant to be an All-In "Sweeper". This is an extremely tank-like Pokemon that, much like in Sun and Moon, can spread a lot of damage over the course of the game and allow something else to bring in the KOs. If you look at its attacks, it's all about damage spreading. First attack? 4 Coin Flips, but for an extremely efficient energy cost and really good damage considering. Poison ticks for 10 damage counters, which is insane during the mid/late game when your opponent is running lower on options. Heck, even its GX attack is all about stalling. 150 damage and your opponent's Pokemon cannot TOUCH Toxapex-GX without some sort of Pokemon Ranger or Lysandre play, and even then, 150 is not Instant KO range. So then, what does that make Toxapex-GX? It makes him good, playable, and very solid if you utilize him in a deck that likes having assistance with damage. What cards like that kind of thing? Taurox-GX, Mewtwo-EX, and Rayquaza SM1 all seem to fall in to that category.

By the way, did I mention that they were all Basic Pokemon? xP

Regardless, I think Toxapex-GX has a few places it can call home (even more than my obvious ploy to get people to play Mewtwo-EX/Tauros-GX/Toxapex-GX/Rayquaza) and given enough time, someone, somewhere will find something we aren't thinking about right now that works very well (much like a LOT of cards in Sun and Moon. Set is seriously full of good tools). I seriously can't wait to see all the brews this year.

Either way, have fun and enjoy more theoretical brewing, ya'll!

-Asmer

Earlier this morning when Toxapex was announced I commented hoping for more 7th gen GX cards like Bewear. I can predict the future. So, using my futuristic hindsight, we should be getting a Rowlet GX tomorrow. Not Decidueye, but a Rowlet GX that is playable

Oh and for the Hay full art, if you bring out the Malsaldas Supporter card, youre able to draw 5 more cards

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if you bought through amiami if the promo will be included when they are released and shipped??

Nope. AmiAmi does not appear on the list of "selected reatilers" on the page about the promo, and they only get these kind of Pokémon box promos very, very rarely anyway (only once in my experience of buying cards from them since the beginning of the BW era).

With so many GXs popping around like mushrooms, one can only expect useless GXs like these.

P.S. : There are more to come.

Toxipex GX.. Looks great! But if it really becomes a popular card in competitive play, I think Bent Spoon will find it way back to those decks ;)

Bewear-GX seems pretty not-good. Its first attack is underwhelming, though Anti-Retreat effects do have potential. His second attack is abysmal at best, especially in a Meta where HPs seem to be higher. Finally, his GX attack is... well, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like that it Auto-Kills anything in the game that it can actually attack, but it doesn't actually KO it, which bothers me. I suppose that's a good balance considering, but I really do wish they made his other attacks a bit better. Heck, if its first attack did 90 damage, we could give it a passable "playable" but... oh well I guess.

-Asmer

Bewear is an odd one.
No retreat can be fun. As you can do damage with Bewear -> and then (hopefully) do enough after your opponents turn with something else for the KO.
His GX is also intresting. As you can just get rid of any mon with high set up. Granted you don´t get the KO but you will cripple him nothertheless.

It´s definietly not a "Must have" but it can be used in some decks. I see him possibly having a space in a few a bit more experimental deck combinations.

I think Bewear's GX move could be very disruptive, and preventing retreats can be very useful with so many EXs like Shaymin, Hoopa, and Dragonite, but the 3 and 4 energy costs are mediocre... I think it has potential though honestly, not on its own but maybe a 1-1 in a deck with DCEs and no other GX attacks already being utilized could be pretty deadly. Needs retreat assistance though.

Also, I like how many GX we're seeing this early on. I hope they keep up with this rather than just using it to establish a "base" for them. Fingers crossed for Vaporeon?

Back