News 'Sun and Moon Strengthening Expansion Pack'

D-did either of you even read the part where I said it was a mixture of best and worst case scenario where you could get the card into play but couldn't accelerate it faster than that? Of course there are scenarios where you can get it powered up in a turn or two, but that scenario is just as likely as my scenario where you just dead draw and have a 240 hp target that took 4 turns to get powered up. I bet the both you just skimmed over it and wrote angry fanboy responses because I'm not on the vikavolt GX bandwagon.

Now, since the fanboys clearly are not listening to the voice of reason and just looking at the GX attack and wetting themselves of the thought of getting 6 prizes off 3 benched shaymins, I'm going to list the pros and cons of this card.

Pros:
* First attack costs 1 lightning energy and attaches 1 energy from your discard to itself if you have any.
* Can get played on the first turn with Forest of Giant Plants.
* GX attack hits every pokemon your opponent has on the bench for 60 damage (With wide lense against things with 120 or less hp and lightning weakness, they're now in danger of being OHKO'd by this attack)
* Good synergy with vanilla vikavolt
*Second attack hits for 180, knocking out Stage 2 and lower pokemon, BREAKs, big basics, and most EXs. Takes huge chunks out of Megas and GX cards.

Cons:
* Stage 2 pokemon, so without FoGP, rare candy, or Wally, it takes 2 turns to get in play. (Same with vanilla vikavolt)
* Second attack discards two energy from it in a 4 energy attack. (One could argue that it's not that big of a problem with vanilla vikavolt, but you need vikavolt in play to minimize the effect of it. Oh and you need to make sure you have both lightning and grass energy in your deck to take full advantage of the ability)
* Second and GX attack both require 4 energy to play. (See above parenthesis statement for why this is a problem)
* Forced to share an evolution line with vanilla vikavolt which can cause issues of not having enough 'chairs' for both cards to 'sit' on.
* 60 damage is just that, 60 damage. If your opponent has a bunch of 60 and less hp on the bench, cool you get a prize or two. If not, you just put useless damage on pokemon that can potentially get it healed off or not see the 'active position' ever.
* Without Wide Lens, anything that is weak to lightning attacks is not in danger of being KO'd by the GX attack.

You get the point, there are good things about this card, and there are bad things about this card. And what gets me is that everyone thinks the cons are all negligible. I mean, what if your opponent runs garbodor in standard before it gets rotated to expanded? "Oh? What's that? You want to use vanilla vikavolt to power up your GX? Hang on, let me get my garbotoxin on."

If fanboys want to ignore the cons and repeat the same line of "Hurrdurr forest of giant plants+rarecandy+wally means I can get it powered up in one turn because I'm the king of top decking and have everything I need in my opening hand, and anything that I might need later on, I'll just top deck like a boss."

Then we're done here, there is nothing I can say to get you to put your super rod away and actually look at what this card does.

I wouldn't call it fanboying or some kind or bandwagon. No one is sitting here and saying "this is the BCIF" or anything like that. You are judging the card against current EX Pokemon and you can't say that. No one is saying this card wrecks Shaymin EX and can take 6 Prize cards. That is a unrealistic scenario and I made sure to not say Shaymin-EX. If we are going to give Vikavolt-GX the worst possible start ever, then we can just say the opponent missed every card they need for those turns and allowed it to setup since they too can brick.

What you need to do is take a chill pill bro. You are being very aggressive for no reason at all.

I'll put aside my spectator popcorn for now...

I like this new card! Im probably not gonna pair it with GFoP since its only a 1 step boost at best, rather just chance it with rare candy and balls, lots of balls...
I think the GX attack has potential, the first attack being able to charge with special energy (DCE) is pretty nice as well.

I have been really liking how Sun and moon has slowed down. Made a DecidueyeGX deck and an UmbreonGX/Sharpedo deck, only using new cards and they have been really fun to play(I play in Japan btw). Granted I havent been able to play in a card shop against a bunch if people, Ill probably lose a lot right now haha.

Everyone seems to be writing off the Absol straight away, but combined with SM1 Tsareena you can look at the top of their deck and ensure they don't find anything for the next few turns on the top of their deck with the first attack. Once you know they're not drawing anything good, you can Doom News them and you know there's nothing they can do unless they have free retreat (even then running Team Aqua's Secret Base or Servine can solve that).

Too bad it doesn't seem like it'll have much relevance for now in standard, except maybe some Volcanion decks (although even then Hoopa is a better choice)

I'll likely throw this in Volcanion as a one-of. Oriocrio is one of my favorite Pokemon, so seeing as a somewhat viable card makes me happy.

This card would work great with Incineroar GX. I really like its design and I've always liked having setup pokemon, hopefully it will find some niche in the meta.

Call for Family-type moves always have their uses, wish it had free retreat though. I miss Emolga.

I don't think Hot Blooded Dance can be used with Steam Up effect though since it doesn't do damage in the first place. :/

The 2nd attack "Kindle" could be very useful in late game to discard energy as well as do some decent damage in a Volcanion deck.

I wish this thing had a Lightning weakness... I'm surprised Oricorio isn't a Pokemon they mainly view as a Flying-type, seeing as its movepool is basically entirely Flying.

The card itself... Probably won't see any play. Setup attackers are simply too slow in this day and age, and this thing offers no other utility. (Kindle is not a good move.)

My experience with small birds is that they taste good so I'm sure this one does as well. In a slower format, this card is worth it.

I think we're underestimating how good this card could be. The better fire decks are almost entirely basics, and Hot Blooded Dance is N immune. The format is about to slow down significantly–not saying it's essential, but in a slow format this card could actually accelerate Fire decks nicely.

At any rate, it still warms my heart (with great fiery Spanish passion!) that there's a flamenco bird. Inspired design, really.

I think we're underestimating how good this card could be. The better fire decks are almost entirely basics, and Hot Blooded Dance is N immune. The format is about to slow down significantly–not saying it's essential, but in a slow format this card could actually accelerate Fire decks nicely.

Unfortunately though, "about to" probably means in two years, once things like M Mewtwo are out of rotation. Unless Choice Band really makes a VERY significant impact.

Unfortunately though, "about to" probably means in two years, once things like M Mewtwo are out of rotation. Unless Choice Band really makes a VERY significant impact.

Hah. True. Also, I thought I was pretty in the loop but Choice Band? Are they printing that as a card? I just Googled to no avail.

I kind of think it is a bad assumption that the format is about to slow down. It certainly looks like a lot of the staple speed cards are going to rotate, but it only takes one reprint to bring cards back and they haven't been shy about reprinting a lot of the staple trainers. Given how hard some of the GX cards hit along with the fact that there are more than a few basic versions AND the stage 1 GX cards don't require a spirit link, I personally am not expecting the power creep to ease off anytime soon.

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Fire Oricorio - The first attack is good for Volc but it consumes 1 turn to do that plus it is vulnerable to both N and Ilima.
EDIT: Because I'm blind to comprehend, I'll change my evaluation.
Fire Oricorio was perfect for Incineroar and Volcanion, period. Sets up faster. I wish it was an ability instead of attack

Last edited:
MY EVALUATIONS
  • Fire Oricorio - The first attack is good for Volc but it consumes 1 turn to do that plus it is vulnerable to both N and Ilima

N doesn't affect Oricorio's first attack because it puts the Pokemon on to the Bench, not in to the hand.

-Asmer

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Fire Oricorio - The first attack is good for Volc but it consumes 1 turn to do that plus it is vulnerable to both N and Ilima
You clearly didn't read the card at all. It says to play them straight to the bench.

Back