• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format (SUM-UNB) Gio's Mill (Rhydon)

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
The milling potential present in the Unbroken bonds Rhydon is astounding, and from what Iv'e seen on this forum already, has potential. However, there are a few key elements i think many are sleeping on in regards to it. Hence, my own version of this list.

Pokemon (16)
  • Diglett (4)
Diglett – Fighting – HP50
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Underground Work
If this Pokemon is discarded by the effect of Giovanni’s Exile, discard the top card of your opponent’s deck.

[F] Hook: 10 damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
  • Rhyhorn (4)
Rhyhorn – Fighting – HP90
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Horn Attack: 30 damage.

[F][C][C][C] Boulder Crush: 80 damage.

Retreat: 4
  • Rhydon (4)
Rhydon – Fighting – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Rhyhorn

[C][C] Dirty Work: Discard the top card of your opponent’s deck. If you played Gionvanni’s Exile from your hand during this turn, discard the top 5 cards of your opponent’s deck instead of 1.

[F][C][C][C] Horn Attack: 90 damage.

Retreat: 4
  • Misdreavus (2)
  • Mismagius (2)
Mismagius – Psychic – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Misdreavus

Ability: Mysterious Message
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may Knock Out this Pokemon. If you do, draw cards from your deck until you have 7 cards in your hand.

[P][C][C] Hypnotic Wave: 70 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1
Trainers (36)
  • Giovanni’s Exile (4)
Gionvanni’s Exile – Trainer
Supporter

Choose up to 2 of your Benched Pokemon with no damage counters on them. Discard those Pokemon and all cards attached to them.

You can play only 1 Supporter during your turn (before your attack).
  • Lillie (3)
  • Lusamine (2)
  • Buff Padding (3)
  • Elm’s Lecture (1)
  • Surge’s Battle (3)
Lt. Surge’s Battle – Trainer
Supporter

You can only play this card if you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent.

You may play up to 3 Supporter cards this turn (including this one).

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Brock’s Grit (2)
  • Ultra Ball (4)
  • Nest Ball (4)
  • Dusk Stone (2)
Dusk Stone – Trainer
Item

If you have a Pokemon in play that evolves into Mismagius, Honchcrow, Chandelure, or Aegislash, search your deck for a card that evolves from that Pokemon (including a Pokemon-GX) and put it on that Pokemon to evolve it. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can use this card during your first turn or on a Pokemon that was put into play this turn.)

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
  • Brooklet hill (4)
  • Pokegear 3.0 (3)
PokeGear 3.0 – Trainer
Item

Look at the top 7 cards of your deck. Choose 1 Supporter card you may find there, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then, shuffle the rest of your cards into your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
  • Counter Catcher (1)
Energy (8)
  • Counter (4)
  • Fighting (4)

The potential that this deck has in combination with the "Counter" type trainer support is amazing. For the cost of a measly prize card, one can maximize the full use of this decks massive supporter pool in order to win, or stall. You see, Lt. Surge's Battle, the main benefactor of being behind in prizes, allows you to use a total of three supporters per turn, instead of just one. This means that you effectively use the two that you want to on any given turn. You also get use of Counter Energy, which enables you to, under the same condition as Surge, use Rhydon's milling attack for 1 Energy attachment. It's brilliant!

To get the full milling effect, you have to execute a turn where you use Giovanni's Exile to discard 2 digletts, for a maximum 7 cards taken off the top of their deck (about a sixth of their deck, feasibly, by T2). This comes from Each diglett discarding 1 as per the ability, plus the secondary effect of Rhydon's first attack making up the other 5. Needless to say, you won't be doing this every turn, but it comes closer when you have access to it and another supporter that refills your hand/resets your board state to some degree. This can only happen, however, thanks to Surge, which you need to be behind on prizes for.

The Unbroken Bonds Mismagius, which could be one of the most meta-defining cards to come out of this set, helps you acheive this. It's ability makes it KO itself at the cost of being a Set Up for 7. Not only does this give you a boost in cards, which can be set up T1 thanks to Dusk Stone, but it also gives you an edge by enabling you to use cards like Surge and Counter Energy way more reliably.

Everything else in this deck is doing its best to add consistency, with Lusamine recovering Giovanni among other things, Buff Padding adding HP to the admittedly low 110 of Rhydon, and Elm/Brock serving as a recycle engine for Diglett.

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
One thing I want to point out is that we could be running Double Colorless energy instead of Counter as Rhydon's attack is only [C][C].

How would you feel about putting in Rhyperior (BUS) and Celebi (SHL)? Rhyperior mills more cards, still benefits from buff padding, and with Celebi can still use Rhydon's attack?

My only concern is being able to effectively search out Dusk Stone, Rhydons (and potentially Rhyperiors). The only way I'm seeing to do that is by draw power alone, which is pretty minimal with 3 draw supporters, Pokegear, and Mismagius.

Man, Lt. Surge, Lusamine, Giovanni's Exile is a dirty combination that works fabulously with Mismagius to help.

Honestly, just getting more draw support in this deck is going to be what makes it incredibly scary and consistent.

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
I think that needing to have another bench space for something I can't grab with Brooklet Hill is not optimal, since I don't want to be effectively required to use a nest ball for it. In addition, Rhyperior is a one-time tick, and makes it harder to KO, which is not great under the angle that I have set up. The angle here is that I am using counter energy when behind, making it count as a DCE, so I won't need to actually run any. It is mildly concerning for Rhydon, I guess I was hoping to be able to thin my deck enough with the Hill and Elm in the early game in order to facilitate a higher occurance rate from a Lillie or something. I actually have more cards, namely Ultra Ball, but I might throw in a timer ball or two.

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all to you for a counter build. My question then, is if you think extra hp on Rhydon as Rhyperior may be a liability, does Buff Padding deserve a place? Or is your rationale for that so you can put Rhydon outside of the typical 120/130 hp range that is pretty targetable?