• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format (SUM-SM8) Escargot aux Epices (Magcargo GX)

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
Pokemon (15):
  • Slugma (4)
  • Magcargo (3)
Magcargo – Fire – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Slugma

Ability: Smooth Over
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a card. Shuffle your deck, then place that card on top.

[R][C][C] Combustion: 50 damage.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3
  • Magcargo GX (3)
Magcargo-GX – Fire – HP210
Stage 1 – Evolves from Slugma

Ability: Crush Charge
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard the top card from your deck. If that card is a basic Energy card, attach it to 1 of your Pokemon.

[R][R][C] Lava Flow: 50+ damage. You may discard any number of basic Energy cards from this Pokemon. This attack does 50 more damage for each card discarded in this way.

[R] Magma Burn GX: Discard the top 5 cards from your opponent’s deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Retreat: 3
  • Tapu Lele GX (2)
  • Victini Prism Star (1)
Victini Prism Star – Fire – HP90
Basic Pokemon

You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

[R][R] Infinity: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of basic Energy cards in your discard pile. Then, shuffle those cards into your deck.

Retreat: 1
  • Turtonator GX (2)
Trainers (31):
  • Cynthia (4)
  • Sightseer (3)
Sightseer – Trainer
Supporter

Draw cards from your deck until you have 5 cards in your hand. Before drawing, you may discard any number of cards from your hand.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Energy Recycler (3)
  • Guzma (4)
  • Blaine’s Explosive Battle (1)
Blaine’s Explosive Battle – Supporter

You can only play this card if it is the only card in your hand.

For each of your [R] Pokemon in play, draw 2 cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Ultra Ball (4)
  • Acro Bike (2)
  • Steven’s Decision (1)
Steven’s Decision – Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for up to 3 cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. Your turn ends.

You can play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Choice Band (3)
  • Field Blower (2)
  • Pokemon Fan Club (2)
  • Tate and Liza (2)
Tate and Liza – Trainer
Supporter

Choose 1:

– Shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 5 cards.

– Switch your Active Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.

You can play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
Energy (14):
  • Fire (14)

Magcargo GX has almost perfect synergy with the "baby" form of it from Celestial Storm. So much so that I thought I could build a whole deck around it. The main strategy, with an ideal setup of 2-2 of each Magcargo, goes as follows:
  • Use Smooth Over to put an energy on top of the deck
  • Use Crush Charge to attach it to the Active Magcargo GX
  • Repeat the first two steps twice, so you have attached two energies to the Magcargo, leaving it with three (since you ideally have one on at all times)
  • (Optional) Attach a third energy from your hand.
  • With a Choice Band, discard 2-3 energy from the Magcargo, which hits 150-200 without a Choice Band, and 180-230 with one, which it should have.
To accomplish that, we have to have a constant flow of our Fire energies, which for the purpose of differentiation, will be referred to as Lava from now on. Now our lava should flow very quickly, from the magmatic pit that is our deck to the explosive spout that is Magcargo GX, and then flowing back into the pit from the outside terrain that is our discard. Now, as that metaphor might suggest, getting it from the discard to the deck is the hardest part, which is why any card not focused on attacking is focused on putting energy back into a usable location. To supplement the deck, we have a fairly bulky count of Energy Recycler as well as the Victini Prism Star, which is a nice "Gotcha!" type attack that comes out of nowhere and completely refills the deck after it starts to peter out. To attach the energies more directly or just stall out opponents, we have a pair of Turtonator GXs, whose GX attack does exactly that.

Trainers are fairly standard, with a playset of Cynthia and 3 Sightseer, which seems to be the new type of staple draw support, and then 4 Guzma, Because having three retreat is bad. Very bad, especially, after the rotation, which is when we actually get it. It such a problem that I included 2 Tate and Liza, in order to accelerate the snail from it's natural pace. Blaine is a do-or-die type of card, fit for the deck in a pinch. Steven is my T1 Supporter of choice just so I can practically guarantee I have all the cards I need to get that explosive start.

Then finally, we are going to need a ton of lava to keep the amount of times it flows back into use to a minimum, since there are only, like, five shots that exist to refill, and it's only about five at a time, barring the one attack from Victini (even though there could be more, it's just unlikely). That's why there are fourteen separate pockets of lava, which is the standard maximum for a competitive deck.

There you have it, Magcargo GX. I think it'll work pretty well, if my prediction on Water not being BDIF still holds, and if it is i can just play something like Zeraora or Rayquaza, which this deck should be able to beat, in theory.

Back