• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard (SUM-CST) Zoro/Cargo

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Pokemon: 27
4x Zorua SLG (Evolve)
4x Zoroark-GX UPR (Draw/Attack)
4x Slugma CST (Evolve)
4x Magcargo CST (Search)
2x Dunsparce CST (Set-Up)
3x Rockruff FBL (Evolve
3x Lycanroc-GX GRI (Ability + Attack)
2x Buzzwole-GX CRI (Attack)
1x Diancie {*} FBL (Damage Boost)

Trainers: 23
3x Cynthia
3x Acerola
2x Friend Ball
2x Lure Ball
4x Ultra Ball
1x Rescue Stretcher
4x Choice Band
1x Mallow (used if you only have 1 Trade and need 2 cards)
3x Guzma
3x Devoured Field (to KO Slaking if it is popular)

Trainers: 9
4x Double Colorless Energy
4x Fighting Energy

Translations:
Slugma – Fire – HP70
Basic Pokemon
[C] Magma Ring: 10 damage. The Defending Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.
[R][C] Flare: 20 damage.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2
Magcargo – Fire – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Slugma
Ability: Smooth Over
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a card. Shuffle your deck, then place that card on top.
[R][C][C] Combustion: 50 damage.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Retreat: 3
Dunsparce – Normal – HP50
Basic Pokemon
[C] Strike and Run: Search your deck for up to 3 Basic Pokemon and put them on your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. If you put any Pokemon on your Bench, you may switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon.
[C] Sudden Flash: 10 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Retreat: 1
Friend Ball – Trainer
item
Search your deck for a Pokemon that’s the same type as one of your opponent’s Pokemon in play. Reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack.)
Lure Ball – Trainer
Item
Flip 3 coins. For each heads, choose an Evolution card from your discard pile, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack.)

Strategy:
Attack with Buzzwole, Lycanroc, and Zoroark. And use Magcargo and Zoroark to guarentee that you draw exactly what you need.

FWIW I'm not sure it's fair to be making CST lists this early, since we don't know any of the cards coming out of Charisma of the Wrecked Sky yet. Also, there's no telling what a SUM-on format would even look like. However, I'll give some of my thoughts with the assumption that no yet-to-be-revealed cards from CST would be of any use in this list.

I think it's interesting that you chose to include a heavy Magcargo line into an already-established Zoro archetype, since my first impressions of a theoretical Zoro/Cargo deck would be a much more straightforward control-style deck. I think, though, that no matter how the Zoro playstyle evolves after rotation, it will always appreciate a great secondary attacker. However, this leads into what I consider the most prominent issue: too many Pokemon. When I look at the array of Evolution lines in this list, I keep trying to picture what the ideal boardstate for the list would even be, and I just...can't. I also question the inclusion of Buzzwole-GX, since without Strong Energy, Max Elixir (old format) / Beast Energy * (new format), it just seems kind of underwhelming as an attacker.

As for Trainers, only three draw Supporters seems inadvisable, to say the least. I honestly have no idea what Supporter draw engines will look like in SUM-on, but I would at least think that Copycat and/or Judge would be good inclusions in a deck that aims to put anything you want into your hand. The deck could also likely benefit from more switching options - with its heavy 3 Retreat Cost, your Magcargo could be rather easily dragged Active by Guzma and trapped.

Overall, I think this could be a really fun and inventive take on Zoroark in the next format, and it makes me curious whether this kind of combo could work with other established partners to Zoroark (Golisopod, Lucario, etc.) Hopefully you'll keep tinkering with it as we get closer to the release of CST and next season's rotation. :)

Wait, is no Lele intentional?
Considering the combination of Zoroark and Magcargo can get you any card you want out of your deck, this strategy doesn't really need Lele for the mid to late game. The bigger question is whether it can consistently set up in the early game without Lele...

Back