• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Suggestions for a Infernape (Steam Siege ) deck

Mooblast

Aspiring Trainer
Im working on building a Inpfernape deck and I have all the staples down but there are things im unsure of and I thought this would be the best place to ask about it...
So far I settled on:

POKEMON
4x Infernape
4x Monferno
4x Chimchar
3x Entei (AOR 15/98)
3x Volcanion
2x Shaymin EX

ENERGY
2x DCE

TRAINORS
4x Ultra Ball
1x Ninja boy
4x Trainors mail
4x Prof. Letter
3x Psychics Third Eye ( I use these to get the fire energy into the discard pile..)
4x VS seeker
4x Rare Candy
3x Scorched earth

So far thats it...
Im thinking about the amount of energy I should put in because Infernapes attack needs many in the discard...
49 cards so far and im pretty sure 11 energy isnt enough for this deck.
I could take out things like the Ninja boy, one or two monferno because of rare candy...
If anyone has any ideas on what I could change to make this deck work i'd gladly hear it.

A few thoughts/comments for your consideration:
  • Running 4 Rare Candy and 4 Monferno is very excessive to me.
  • I suspect Volcanion is your preferred starter; if so, those should be maxed-out.
  • Psychic's Third Eye is your primary card-draw support; so, these should also maxed-out.
  • Why no Lysandre????
  • IMO, running no Tools for Entei will significantly make it less effective.
  • Running no other card-draw Supporter, like N, will be more of a disadvantage than advantage.
  • I also suspect you may not be able to consistently "stream" Infernape's Flare Up attack since you will need to shuffle 10 R energy back into your deck after the attack. Then getting 10 R energy back into your discard pile again and again... may not be consistent.
Suggested deck changes:

-1 Monfero
-1 Entei
-1 Rare Candy
-1 Trainer's Mail

+1 Volcanion
+1 Lysandre
+1 Psychic's Third Eye
+1 R

I hope you find these comments helpful.

This deck badly needs battle compressor. It is a much better alternative to Psychic's Third Eye. Also, remove the Entei.

scale back on the rare candy to 2 and only 3 infernape line.
try 2 octillery line instead of shaymin, and if so try to fit in a few N.
would also add in some level ball and wally.

Why is there Double Colorless Energy in this deck? The only Pokemon that would actually be able to use it is Shaymin EX. No other Pokemon would be able to use it at all, from what I can tell.

I'm not sure Volcanion will have the effect we want. You're pulling energy out of the discard pile 2 at a time, which is the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. It doesn't work well in terms of charging your Infernape because you have to split the two energies between two Pokemon. Since Infernape only wants two and you really don't want more energy than necessary so you can fit other things in your deck, Volcanion doesn't do what this deck needs it to do.

That being said, if you need to recharge Infernape quickly after a Flare Drive in a post-Blacksmith world, I don't know what to do. Run 2 Burning Energies? His one retreat is actually helpful, so maybe Volcanion will work?

Oh, and ideally, it should be possible to use Flare Up every other turn if you can get efficient with energy discard.

EDIT: I'm also trying to build an ideal Infernape deck. The link is right here if you need more ideas, but this is for current standard, not future standard. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/xy11-infernape-deck.133638/

Last edited:
I think the ideal partner for Infernape is Typhlosion from Breakthrough. Play a high energy count, Typhlosion should be able to discard discard lots of energy, and get some high damage doing it. Once you get to 10, Infernape cones out to take a big shot, shuffles them back in, and now Typhlosion can come back up with a now increased chance to hit the energy on the discard. It's definitely a high-risk high-reward sort of deck, but I just think they fit well together.

I think the ideal partner for Infernape is Typhlosion from Breakthrough. Play a high energy count, Typhlosion should be able to discard discard lots of energy, and get some high damage doing it. Once you get to 10, Infernape cones out to take a big shot, shuffles them back in, and now Typhlosion can come back up with a now increased chance to hit the energy on the discard. It's definitely a high-risk high-reward sort of deck, but I just think they fit well together.
Hmm... that sounds pretty cool, actually. The problem, of course, lies in that the deck would revolve around two Stage 2's, so a good chunk of the deck would have to be dedicated to getting those guys out pretty fast. Wallys, Rare Candies, maybe Evosodas. Not to mention at least 10 cards worth of the Typhlosion line.

Hmm... that sounds pretty cool, actually. The problem, of course, lies in that the deck would revolve around two Stage 2's, so a good chunk of the deck would have to be dedicated to getting those guys out pretty fast. Wallys, Rare Candies, maybe Evosodas. Not to mention at least 10 cards worth of the Typhlosion line.

Like I said... High-Risk but High-Reward. Haven't tested it since I haven't pulled any Infernape. But if you can get them both in play, and have some switch cards at the ready, this could hit hard. It could also absolutely flop if you either A) can't them them in play in the correct order, or B) get awful discards with Typhlosion. If you're have the right sort of luck though then not much will stand up to those kinds of hits. From non-EX Pokemon to boot.

Just a quick note - if you run 11 Fire Energy, you won't be able to use Infernape's Flare Up attack. You need 2 Fire Energy to use the attack and at least 10 in the discard pile. So, basic maths, you need to run a minimum of 12 Fire Energy. However, that's not even accounting for any that may be prized, so I'd argue the case for 13 or 14.

That's Theme Deck levels of Energy cards!

Another one to bear in mind - Burning Energy doesn't count as Fire Energy in the hand or discard pile, so you won't be able to discard it with Scorched Earth or attach it from the discard pile with baby Volcanion; plus it won't count towards your Energy count for Flare Up.

I'd use Charizard Ex's instead of volcanions to get rid of the energies. By using stoke, you can build up fire energy by threes, and then use the attack to discard all of the energies. And yeah, you should use more energies. Maybe 15-20 fire energy. I hope this was useful.

Back