Ruling Sudden Death

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone!

The purpose of this thread is to inform me (and anyone else who doesn't know) about how sudden death works in a legal tournament game :D. To make this more of a competitive thread and less of a card rulings/game mechanics thread, please don't hesitate to spark discussion about strategies to win in sudden death or anything else that is relevant!

I have a few specific questions, however, feel free to add anything you think is important.

1) What happens when time is called and Player A has taken more Prize cards than Player B? Does Player A win?

2) What happens when time is called and both players have taken an equal number of prize cards? I'm assuming you go into a sudden death round. If so, how does it work? I've heard something about three extra turns being played but I'm not entirely sure how they would play out and how you would determine the winner at the end of those three turns.

3) Does sudden death change depending on what type of tournament you are playing in? Would sudden death in a Battle Roads game be the same as sudden death in a World Championships game?

Thank you in advance!

o0Flint0o said:
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think this should be in the "Card rulings and game mechanics" forum.

As for your problem, here's what I'm mainly sure of;
1. Player A wins.
2. Sudden death happens, yes. One prize card, first to get the K.O wins.
3. I THINK it's the same, although I've never been to a single BR yet.
Please don't respond unless you're 100% sure about what you're talking about. 1 is absolutely wrong and 2 is probably wrong (if you're saying what you think).

Pika, I'll help you out. I've actually played in tournaments for many years, so I'll be your credible source of information (unlike the people above me).

Before anything else, let's define sudden death. That could always help. Sudden death is when players play a normal game, but with 1 prize instead of 6. Sudden death can happen for a few reasons. The most common reason is that sudden death happens when time is called before the third game of a match has been decided. If both players have each won a game, they will proceed to play sudden death. For example, if both players have won a game, and time is called before the third game begins, the game is a sudden death game. If time is called on the second game, and the player manages to win a game, making each player 1-1, the third game is a sudden death game. I hope that makes sense. If not, I'm happy to explain. In tournament, when time is called, a judge will almost always run to your table if you're still playing to help you out.

1. When time is called, the player's turn that time was called on is considered "Turn 0". After that turn ends, the players have 3 turns to decide a winner. If no winner is decided, the player with the least prizes wins. If you're playing best of 3, and time is called on game 2, this still holds true, but the game does not have a winner if neither player has taken 4 or more prizes.

2. If both players have an equal number of prizes after time is called (and 3 turns), they play until someone takes a prize.

3. Sudden death is always the same. The only thing to be careful of is to not slow down your play even though time has called. Judges constantly tell people to hasten their play in top tier events. In lower tier events, judges are more lax. I guess that's a small difference.

Once again, I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Just be careful who you trust. As we've seen, some people who have never played in a tournament feel necessary to talk about things they do not understand.

Secret Pikachu said:
To make this more of a competitive thread and less of a card rulings/game mechanics thread, please don't hesitate to spark discussion about strategies to win in sudden death or anything else that is relevant!

While I appreciate the thought, it really would have been better had you post the thread where it truly belongs in order to curb any possible wrong answers (as we have already seen...). This stuff is definitely serious in a tournament setting and is not really up for discussion as there is usually a specific ruleset that is played for these types of situations. I'll move it for you.

*Moved*

I think CodeMonkey's answer was sufficient that I don't have to add anything on to it. (Other Professors can chime in if they have anything additional to add on to the answers.) Please make sure next time to PM a Professor if you have a question on where a specific thread should go if it pertains to these kinds of rulings.

dmaster out.
Thanks for moving it Matt.~KA

Back