Struggling through the rediculous price of Mewtwo, and still pwning at Houston Regs.

Brandon Smiley

"Big Tex"
Sup /b/ros?
(this is a senior report, obv.)
Small report over how I did the past weekend at the Houston Regionals.
I'm not gonna talk about my personal life, and how I got down there and such, so I'll just try to remember everything.

By the way, I can't remember most of the names, sorry.
Oh, and for the tournament, I played Mew/Terrakion/Yanmega.

R1 vs. ?
He's playing an Emboar deck, and I actually get kinda scared. The only supporter I played the entire game was a Copycat. Pretty terrible, honestly. I use Mew early and I believe I used See off for Crobat Prime, because I saw the Tepig. After a long game, I came on top because of Terrakion being the big bull he is. <3
1-0

R2 vs. ?
He's a new player, and doesn't know what most of the cards do. Not much to say, other then he set up a Swanna and actually got down to three prizes due to my slow See Off.
2-0
R3 vs. .. ?
I wanna say that this round I played against a kid playing Terrakion. I used Crobat all game, but sadly, it didn't help much. He played a high count of Switch/Lost Remover/Crushing Hammer, so it was pretty annoying. But overally, Yanmega really gave him trouble. Black Belt + Linear Attack on the active ended up pretty much sealing it for me.
3-0

R4 vs. Luis w/ Zeels
Pretty sure I played against Luis this round. I was pretty confident after knowing him from States. (sweeped his Durant up with Zekeels, likeaboss) Anyways, this game is sooo bad for him. He doesn't get out a single Eel, due to Chandelure. If he would have played the 40 HP Tynamo, he'd been much better off. Terrakion also did magic in this game, as well.
4-0

R5 vs. Cameron C. w/ CMT
This kid beat me out of top cut at Texas States, so I didn't really want to play against him, but whatever, right?
I missed the first AND second turn See off, and he whiffed on early pressure. Tornadus just gives me problems as well, so it doesn't go that well. I did get down to 1 prize I believe, from 2 EX KO's, but he's able to steal it with Tornadus.
4-1

R6 vs. Hunter
I love this kid. He's so much fun to play against, and even let me and my cousin borrow cards for the Tourney. He got some harsh luck here and there, but he got down to one prize. This game was literally down to him drawing a Catcher, and luckily, he whiffed after I N'd him. And for the last Prize, I had to snipe a Celebi twice.
5-1

R7 vs. this kid that i felt really bad for. /:
So, he goes first I believe, and I have a trash opening. He uses Sages, takes two cards, puts the other three on top of his deck and starts shuffling.. I stop him right after he did the first shuffle, but sadly, he was still given the game loss. I felt really bad, because the kid ended up in 17th seed.. /:
6-1

Going into top cut, I'm facing a really strange deck, Chandy/Yanmega/Dodrio.

T16 vs. Garret
G1
He goes first, but doesn't have much and passes with an active fire Litwick. I get off the turn one see off, and use Jumpluff. All he really gets out this game is one Chandelure and a Yanmega. He did use a lot of Max Potions, which was really annoying, but I still won.

G2
He once again has a pretty bad start, and I believe I won on the 3rd or 4th turn. Sorry man, luck is a big part of the game. :p
7-1

Top 8 vs. Pearce
He's a local, and I don't think I've ever lost to him. Knowing that he plays CMT, I think over what I should do, and realize that Yanmega is actually very key to the match-up. It's good against Tornadus, and Mewtwo has a hard time dealing with it. So, that was the plan.

G1
I get a dreadful start, and get the See Off way to late. This scares me a lot, but I still get down to about two prize cards. I think if I would've had one more turn, I would have won.

G2
Getting to go first, and having the turn one See Off put me in a very good position. I think he realizes that Tornadus is key for him in the match-up, and he tries to use it more. Luckily though, I'm able to work around them and eventually kill them off. The last prize was really clutch for me though, because he dropped a Shaymin EX so that he wouldn't lose if I knocked out his active. He used Hurricane on my active Yanmega, moved an Energy to the Shaymin. I proceeded to Linear Attack the Shaymin for 40, setting it up for a KO with Retaliate. I believe the Prize count got down to 1-1, which would've been the end of my reign.

G3
He gets godawful luck, and starts with Shaymin. He Junipers, and hits nothing basically. He double tailed a double ball, just to make it worse. I set-up quickly and run him over easily. Sorry man, sucks to beat out a local.

At this point, I was the only North Texas player left in the top cut. (My cousin played the same deck as me, with a few changes, but got knocked out of the Top 8)

T4 vs. Ryan w/ CM
I wasn't aware that he didn't play Tornadus, so i figured it would be a really tough game.

G1
He gets an amazing lead, putting me down 3 prizes before I'm able to see off. But, as soon as I did, I was able to take easy prizes off Mewtwos to seal the game.

G2
I get a better start, and he N's me into god hands, and gives himself terrible ones. I feel pretty bad, because I know he's a respectable player, and deserved the win much more then myself.

T2 vs. Luis w/ Zeels
Well, I felt really comfortable, to say the very least. I knew the match-up, and knew the player.

G1
He tried to get out an Eel, but I was able to take a cheap prize off the Tynamo because I had a switch. Everything I needed fell into my hand when I did need it, and I took game 1 very easily.

G2
He starts Mewtwo, but whiffs the DCE for a KO. He didn't bench any Tynamos, so when it came to my turn, I saw off a Jumpluff. Doing so, put in me great shape because I was able to take an easy two prizes on his Mewtwo, as well as put his Eel's back a turn. I set-up my Terrakion on the bench, just in case, and took game 2 as well as first place.
10-1

So guys, that tells you that in a terrible format, you don't have to play what everyone else does. I didn't use Mewtwo, and yet I still won the event.
And I didn't even playtest the deck before the tournament, so that tells you how much you need to know to win a tournament. (Of course, I did have prior knowledge of how to use the deck, but not with the way i played it the day of)

Another thing was dropping the Vileplume in my deck. That was a trumendous help, and I would've failed if I would have kept it in.

To wrap it up,

Props:
Mew for being orignal
Christine for being an amazing person <3
Jose for being an awesome friend and letting me borrow pretty much the entire deck
Payton for being a boss, and of course, Fuddruckers, son.
My girlfriend for being, my girlfriend..
My cousin, for being a noob and playing the same deck as me (still love you tho <3)
Hunter for letting me borrow cards
And Robby for having an awesome voice and inspiring me to win the event (Not really, but whatever)
Not playtesting

Slops:
Mewtwo for being a stupid clone
Eating Pizza for 6 meals straight, and paying way too much money for all of it

THANKS FOR READING GUIZE <3

LegosLock said:
Eating Pizza for 6 meals straight, and paying way too much money for all of it
Hey! Pizza is nice! Don't do that D:<.
Any way, good work on winning at Houston Regs. You are going to Nats now (trying to convince my parents(it's a go to event in aus))!
Also <3 your usage of <3

I love pizza, but not when it costs me $30 to feed me and some friends, about 6 times. xD
Good luck if you end up going to nats. :3 Just tell them you can win a trip to Hawaii. :p

Hey great job without mewtwo! Maybe if I can make it to Nationals Ill see you there!

Yo man great job, and because you went rogue, even better! Were your see off cards only Chandelure/Crobat/Jumpluff? And why do you use Crobat if Yanmega can deal 40 and Chandelure does 30/30/30, did you use it for poisoning...? And would you mind telling me your Pokemon lines? (; like, 4 Mew/4-3 Yanmega/3 Terrakion? Man, Mew is such a great Mewtwo counter...hasn't anybody seen Pokemon: The First Movie...well yeah anyways great job beating those CMTs and ZekEels!

Back