Strategy Question (Drapion)

jstar21

Team Froakie & Goomy
Hey everyone, I'm kinda new to the competitive scene as X and Y made breeding and EV training a lot easier, and I have a question on strategy for using one of my favorite pokemon, Drapion.

I was thinking of using a Drapion (31/31/31/0/31/31 in IVs) with a Careful Nature and the Sniper ability and the held item being Assult Vest. EV training - 252 Def, 252 SDef and 4 Att

Its attacks would be:
Cross Poison
Night Slash
Fire Fang
Fell Stinger

The strategy would be to have a Speed Boost Ninjask to use Swords Dance and get the speed at the end of the turn and then Baton Pass it to Drapion. Since Drapion's only weakness is Ground I won't have to worry about the opponent using Earthquake since Ninjask is part Flying type. I know Ninjask can be an easy knockout for opponents but I just wanted opinions from people that have been battling longer than I have.

jstar21 said:
The strategy would be to have a Speed Boost Ninjask to use Swords Dance and get the speed at the end of the turn and then Baton Pass it to Drapion. Since Drapion's only weakness is Ground I won't have to worry about the opponent using Earthquake since Ninjask is part Flying type.
This is sound logic, but X&Y brought along with them a Baton Passer far better than Ninjask - Scolipede. With a boosted 100 Atk and Megahorn at its disposal, Scolipede is more threatening than Ninjask and can still play the SDPass game excellently. You have a point with the Earthquake distraction of Ninjask's flying type, but Earthquaking Scolipede is only for neutral damage, so it's a moot point in this regard.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Spikes
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Onto Drapion, I don't think a full-on defensive set would do much for you. Instead, I'd suggest either an Assault Vested special set or full-out offensive set. Drapion has a plethora of resistances to use on switching in from Baton Pass and just enough bulk to tank things easily.

Assault Vest:
Drapion @ Assault Vest
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 SDef
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail (post-PokéBank)/Pursuit

This set takes care of Gengar and Aegislash in particular quite easily if using Pursuit, but it requires Wish support.

Offense:
Drapion @ Black Sludge/Lum Berry
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail/Pursuit

The item choice largely depends on if you want durability while sweeping or status protection. It's all up to preference.

You have a good idea here, so here's my two cents on the matter. Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot! I completely forgot about Scolipede's hidden ability.

I do have one other question though. If I use the Sniper set on Drapion, shouldn't the 2 STAB moves be Cross Poison and Night Slash since Sniper ups the damage of critical hits from 1.5x to 2x plus the fact that those two moves have high Crit Hit Ratios?

jstar21 said:
Thanks a lot! I completely forgot about Scolipede's hidden ability.

I do have one other question though. If I use the Sniper set on Drapion, shouldn't the 2 STAB moves be Cross Poison and Night Slash since Sniper ups the damage of critical hits from 1.5x to 2x plus the fact that those two moves have high Crit Hit Ratios?

Even though critical hits are higher on those two, they lack a consistent base power and instead rely on a 30% (iirc) chance. Normally, Cross Poison and Night Slash won't deal as much damage as Poison Jab and Knock Off (Knock off has 97.5 BP if the opponent holds an item). Consistent damage is generally favored over luck factors in today's game, so I gave you the standard choices. If you're feeling lucky with taking that chance to do 2.25x damage, go on. Choices are what make the player after all. :)

If you truly want to abuse Cross Poison and Night Slash, use a Scope Lens. That's the best way to increase your luck.

I just have to make 2 different ones and test out the ideas. Thanks for the help!

Back