Ruling Stop Ancient Trait vs. Magnetic Warp Metagross

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
This is something I was wondering while looking at the new XYP Celebi and Sableyes. If a Magnetic Warp Metagross uses MW while a Pokémon with Stop is on the opponent's bench, and the opponent player chooses the Stop Pokémon to switch in as Active, does the Stop Pokémon switch?

XY7_EN_85.png
XY7_EN_49.png

First to be noticed is that Magnetic Warp functions similarly like a Escape Rope. If you choose to switch, your opponent switches. You don't get to choose who to promote in your opponent's side, it's their choice.

Now, this works identically like Escape Rope does with Omega Barrier. If the Stop Pokémon is on the Active spot, the effect is blocked, since the direct target of the Ability is the Stop Pokémon. However, if the Stop Pokémon is on the Bench, your opponent may choose to promote Sceptile and the Ability /would/ go through, since the direct target of the switching effect is the Active Pokémon instead of the benched one; or you could force the Sceptile Active if it's the only Pokémon on your opponent's Bench.

Hope I made myself clear! :)

I understand if I'm running the Metagross I wouldn't be able to choose which Pokémon the opponent chooses, but you're basically saying if the Sceptile (/ Stop Pokémon) was benched it could be switched into (as the ability is affecting the Active Pokémon) but not vice versa (as then the ability is affecting the Sceptile)?

Back