Discussion Steven's Decision after Rotation

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
Is anyone else plan on giving this card a try after rotation? It seems like the perfect card for any deck that relies on evolutions. You get to pull any 3 cards from the deck at the cost of your turn, which means you can easily have Rare Candies, DCEs, or even just whatever Pokemon or Supporters are needed ready by your turn 2.

I'll mention the obvious first: This card is a no-brainer for any deck using CTS Metagross, esspecially if he's the main attacker since with him out, that huge drawback is gone and it becomes the number 1 card in that deck to increase consistency. I might be able to say you could combine that Metagross with just about any partner to ignore the downside and help any deck with consistency like a Zoroark engine, but that's untested and purely theoretical. I might try it out, searching for 3 specific cards is pretty powerful.

On it's own without the Metagross, I could see people using it on the first turn, mostly if they already have a bench setup to evolve next turn. Steven's Decision (like you said) can search rare candies, the stage 2 pokemon it evolves from, and a draw supporter if you need it, but it's similar to Kiawe in the sense that it'll be great when you can't attack on your first turn anyway, but past that turn I don't think it'll do much when it'll cost you your attack for the turn. And you'd probably want a bench setup before you use that card. Bonus points for post-rotation since N, the main hand disruption card, will rotate.

I mean the card's worth like $3 to $5 right now, it's got to be a very playable card.

I've been playing around with it a little bit in Gardevoir-GX, since it's the deck I've had the most interest in recently and I've had the time to test post-rotation a lot.
It certainly has quite a bit of potential. I love the concept of the card since it gives basically every Stage 2 deck the ability to hand-pressure incredibly strongly going into your opponent's turn 1 or 2, in a format that's lost N.

At the start of 2017-2018, I picked up Gardevoir-GX as soon as it came out and played it for Vancouver Regionals, where quite a lot of the meta happened to be Gardevoir-GX/Sylveon-GX. The Sylveon-GX variant was a popular option due to its ability to use Plea GX and start the game off with Magical Ribbon, which has the exact same effect as Steven's Resolve. Just mentioning that it should be an obvious choice to at least start testing it in Gardevoir-GX. I've been playing the deck ever since, so I hope my experiences can at least be a decent basis.

The obvious benefit from this card (which has been mentioned twice before in-thread) is the ability to search for Rare Candy, Stage 2 Pokémon, and an out for your hand next turn, such as a draw Supporter or a Tapu Lele-GX if you need the supporter flexibility. This allows you to set up an amazing board position on Turn 2 that your opponent has to answer to for the rest of the game. Now that the format has shifted and lost major cards like N, hand disruption isn't going to be played as much. This makes the current at its point a very strong time for cards like Steven's, as their direct counter has disappeared, and the player base now has to consider other possibilities such as Judge.
On this topic, I've had the honour of playing some test-games in the post-rotation format where I've been able to drop 3 Gardevoir-GX on my second turn, as well as having an out for my hand that turn due to a Steven's Resolve dropped on Turn 1 that my opponent couldn't play N to disrupt out of. No other card in the current format is able to make a play like that, and while it obviously won't see the board very often, it should certainly be considered in every Stage 2 deck due to the previously stated fact that a board state can't be replicated that fast by any other card.

While it'll take a little while for the format to set after the rotation, I've enjoyed playing this card a lot and I'm excited to say that I have high hopes for it in the coming format. On a side note to that, I believe that this card's performance might be directly linked to the common Supporter skeleton for the format, seeing as Judge can be seen as a counter to it, and we'll have to see how much play that card sees.

Hope this helps!

I'll mention the obvious first: This card is a no-brainer for any deck using CTS Metagross, esspecially if he's the main attacker since with him out, that huge drawback is gone and it becomes the number 1 card in that deck to increase consistency. I might be able to say you could combine that Metagross with just about any partner to ignore the downside and help any deck with consistency like a Zoroark engine, but that's untested and purely theoretical. I might try it out, searching for 3 specific cards is pretty powerful.

I agree entirely with this if you're thinking of playing it with Metagross CES, I wouldn't say it any other way.
However, as purely a joke, I'm very amused by the thought of being able to play Steven's without ending your turn, then switching into a Metagross-GX and using Algorithm GX to search your deck for eight cards.

Back