Ruling Starmie 31 EVO Help

jix99

Imagine if Pichu was in splatoon :D
Starmie's ability space beakon says: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card from your hand. If you do, put 2 basic Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand. (You can't choose a card you discarded with the effect of this Ability.)

It says "(You can't choose a card you discarded with the effect of this Ability.)" so let's say you discard a basic water energy could you grab a different water energy from your discard or does it mean all water energy's cannot be grabbed.

(Thanks in advance for the help!)

I believe you can grab the other Energy. As long as there's already one or more in your discard pile, I believe it's fair game. The wording is specifying the card you discarded, not all cards by that name. I think they'd mention if that were the case ^ v^

@jix99

Backing up the others here:

The card text is meant to prevent you from immediately reclaiming an Energy card if you used it to pay for the discard cost of Starmie. You can grab it later, using another card effect or using "Space Beacon" on a subsequent turn, but you can't effectively ignore the discard cost by immediately reclaiming a basic Energy card you used for the effect's discard cost.

Back