Discussion Standard Trainer Set for Competitive Stage 2 Decks

Hippydude

Aspiring Trainer
Recently I have been interested in coming up with a base stage 2 trainer list for a competitive deck to take to some league challenges. So far this is what i've come with.

4x Professor Sycamore
2x Shauna
2x Evosoda
1x Wally
4x Ultra Ball
3x level ball
3x Trainers Mail
2x acro bike

This is kind of what i came up with in class so let me know what you guys would want to add or take out!

Last edited:
Speed is the name of the game. I reflexively would maximize the trainers mail count. If a fighting type, obviously you want to try and use a semi-korrina engine (like Gallade Octillery did/does), sycamore has the unfortunate effect of discarding useful stuff and with the degree that speed is currently important makes stage 2 decks difficult (you still need sycamore of course, its just that its an unfortunate negative with stage 2s). I don't see any rare candy in here, but I am assuming you are considering that as a given though?

Depends on the deck, for frogadier

2 birch
3 sycamore
4 trainers mail
2 wally
1 fanclub
3 battle compressor
4 vs seeker
2 fisherman
(techs)

The concept is to wally's turn 1 and the drop 3 frogadier on the bench turn 1-2 (depending on when you can attack), this is more item based.

For magnezone

2 birch
4 sycamore
3 trainers mail
4 rare candy
2 fan club
2 Skyla
3 battle compressor
1 fisherman
4 Vs seeker
4 ultra ball

So with this it's an aggressive fan club start, turn 2 Skyla/candy magnezone, this is more supporter based.

This is a consistent look at how blastoise was played in 2014, reshi/emboar, etc, if you were to modify for standard.

Speed is the name of the game. I reflexively would maximize the trainers mail count. If a fighting type, obviously you want to try and use a semi-korrina engine (like Gallade Octillery did/does), sycamore has the unfortunate effect of discarding useful stuff and with the degree that speed is currently important makes stage 2 decks difficult (you still need sycamore of course, its just that its an unfortunate negative with stage 2s). I don't see any rare candy in here, but I am assuming you are considering that as a given though?

I knew i was forgetting some stuff, i was just thinking about it while i was waiting on class to start and thats what i could remember.

Depends on the deck, for frogadier

2 birch
3 sycamore
4 trainers mail
2 wally
1 fanclub
3 battle compressor
4 vs seeker
2 fisherman
(techs)

The concept is to wally's turn 1 and the drop 3 frogadier on the bench turn 1-2 (depending on when you can attack), this is more item based.

For magnezone

2 birch
4 sycamore
3 trainers mail
4 rare candy
2 fan club
2 Skyla
3 battle compressor
1 fisherman
4 Vs seeker
4 ultra ball

So with this it's an aggressive fan club start, turn 2 Skyla/candy magnezone, this is more supporter based.

This is a consistent look at how blastoise was played in 2014, reshi/emboar, etc, if you were to modify for standard.

Definately a good way to look a draw engine. I really need to get some rare candies lol

Back