Discussion Standard Meta Tier List

So what variants of Garb will be tier 1 post rotation? Volcanion is gonna have a rough time if Greninja comes back so I'm in the market for a new deck. I just don't know anything I'd like to play. Gardevoir seems good but I don't like it.
Garb/Drampa will be the best by far. Volcanian will more than likely be traded out for the Ho-oh GX decks. And Gardevoir GX will be tier 1 just because of its match-ups against everything not named Metagross GX.

Garb/Drampa will be the best by far. Volcanian will more than likely be traded out for the Ho-oh GX decks. And Gardevoir GX will be tier 1 just because of its match-ups against everything not named Metagross GX.

Yeah but Drampas best attack is so hard to set up. It takes 3 turns of attachments. 1 DCE, 1 Psychic, 1 Rainbow. Maybe I'm a noob but I don't know the correct way to get that set up fast.

...make that "Volcanion" "Turtonator" until September 2018(when the format will likely shift to SUM-On), as Ho-Oh-GX is a Basic Fire w/ a different weakness than Fire's normal weakness to Water: Electric, in a similar vein to Yveltal-EX back in the day, only that unlike Yveltal, Ho-Oh can take advantage of Volc's Steam Up, and w/ 2 Steam Ups, you only need a Fighting Fury Belt attached to make its Phoenix Burn attack deal 250 damage--enough to KO any card printed outside of Wailord-EX w/ attached Fighting Fury Belt(290 HP w/o tool removal) and Crystal Wall-holding Black Kyurem-EX(300 HP w/ said Wall attached, again w/o tool removal)--but since you can remove their tools w/ Field Blowers, no problem there outside of the necessary two Steam Ups and Belt, not to mention that they removed Fire resistances after the RSE TCG sets, which are not legal in Expanded outside of select reprints for Trainers, basic Energies, and select special energy cards, so you don't need to go Choice Band to go for the damage you would need to KO everything printed had Resistance been a concern nowadays--since there isn't a card in Expanded, or even Standard, that is resistant to Fire...

^ Thus, Turt had its time in the sun, and now I believe it's Ho-Oh's turn to take its place in the spotlight... and when Steam Siege rotates, Turt will resurface in Volc's place for Shell Trapping purposes in Standard, but again, I believe Turt will see less play in Expanded in favor of Ho-Oh and its unique weakness, and most of all, Phoenix Burn for 180 base(before any additions, including those from Steam Up and/or tools)...

Last edited:
How does Turbo Darkrai do against the other tier 1 decks?
It's hard to say for now, because the Darkrai GX ratios are still up in the air as to what is best. You have problems here and there against the Tier 1 decks, but i'd say it's mostly break even matchups, maybe slightly unfavorable for Dark. It loses hard to Gardevoir GX. It's mainly down do Darkrai GX's impact on the speed of the deck.

How does Turbo Darkrai do against the other tier 1 decks?
With burning shadows the only match-up It has trouble with is Metagross-GX and Garbodor (If they run the Dumbell Build it's a 50/50), Gardevoir is not a problem its a 60-40 matchup in favor of darkrai in most cases. Without burning shadows it has a 50/50 vs most Tier 1 Decks except garbodor I think the match-up is a clear 80-20 in favor of Darkrai I have yet to have a problem with that match-up. Other than that the deck you should have trouble with is Zoroark list.

So what variants of Garb will be tier 1 post rotation? Volcanion is gonna have a rough time if Greninja comes back so I'm in the market for a new deck. I just don't know anything I'd like to play. Gardevoir seems good but I don't like it.

Greninja's not coming back. No Dive Ball is kind of a deal breaker IMO.

With burning shadows the only match-up It has trouble with is Metagross-GX and Garbodor (If they run the Dumbell Build it's a 50/50), Gardevoir is not a problem its a 60-40 matchup in favor of darkrai in most cases. Without burning shadows it has a 50/50 vs most Tier 1 Decks except garbodor I think the match-up is a clear 80-20 in favor of Darkrai I have yet to have a problem with that match-up. Other than that the deck you should have trouble with is Zoroark list.

What do you think of darkrai/ darkrai? is that just kinda of the way to go with turbo dark now or do you think it's gimmicky?

Greninja's not coming back. No Dive Ball is kind of a deal breaker IMO.

What do you think of darkrai/ darkrai? is that just kinda of the way to go with turbo dark now or do you think it's gimmicky?

Everything in Greninja is replaced by something else.

Everything in Greninja is replaced by something else.

The only good replacement I can think of for Dive Ball is brooklet hill which isn't a good replacement at all. Not being able to search for Greninja of Frogadier hurts a ton. Plus losing splash energy is no bueno. I don't think it's garbage now or anything, but competitive? Lets just say it doesn't really scare me all that much and I've been running Volc since Steam Siege.

The only good replacement I can think of for Dive Ball is brooklet hill which isn't a good replacement at all. Not being able to search for Greninja of Frogadier hurts a ton. Plus losing splash energy is no bueno. I don't think it's garbage now or anything, but competitive? Lets just say it doesn't really scare me all that much and I've been running Volc since Steam Siege.

Everything it loses can be replaced by another card.

Splash Energy is in Breakpoint. It's staying.

This sounds ghetto, but I'm willing to test Timer Ball >_>

Leave no stones un-turned!

I think the easiest fix for Greninja decks is just to play Alolan Vulpix, Ninetales and GX with it. It fills up the Pokemon slots quite a lot but the fact that Vulpix can search any two Pokemon is just amazing in itself. There is always N offcourse but ideally that hand isn't filled with cards anyway if your running well. Searching out that Greninja BREAK early makes things very interesting in my opinion. As a Water Pokemon I believe A. Vulpix synchs up so well with the deck that you even have a more consistent and usefull Pokemon to start out with as Talonflame tech that in the end is very hit or very miss. With A. Vulpix you don't only gain a good secondary attacker due to GX but also a fantastic soft lock that can make the difference with Water Shurikens.

I think the easiest fix for Greninja decks is just to play Alolan Vulpix, Ninetales and GX with it. It fills up the Pokemon slots quite a lot but the fact that Vulpix can search any two Pokemon is just amazing in itself. There is always N offcourse but ideally that hand isn't filled with cards anyway if your running well. Searching out that Greninja BREAK early makes things very interesting in my opinion. As a Water Pokemon I believe A. Vulpix synchs up so well with the deck that you even have a more consistent and usefull Pokemon to start out with as Talonflame tech that in the end is very hit or very miss. With A. Vulpix you don't only gain a good secondary attacker due to GX but also a fantastic soft lock that can make the difference with Water Shurikens.
what? no. you can play vulpix, but why on earth would you play ninetails? I'm sorry but that is just bad. Greninja loses its two search cards, but you can mitigate that with things like Starmie+Ultra Ball or Octillary. Its not going to be as consistent, but nothing will make it that consistent.

Timer Ball
Octillary+Mallow
Starmie
Ultra Ball
Alolan Vulpix
Those are the cards people will start playing to help the deck stay alive.

what? no. you can play vulpix, but why on earth would you play ninetails?
Feel free to miss out TheDude133, your losses are your choices.

Why you should consider Alolan Ninetales is simple:
- For Safeguard, in a meta dominated by EX and GX
- For Ice Blade, in a deck that can benchsnipe with Shurikens
- For Blizzard Edge and Ice Path so you can deal with oppossing high HP GX

As before you don't have to do it, believe me or see where the format is going. I'm just here to inform.

Why would you giant water shuriken, then retreat into a Mon that needs 2 energy attached in order to do 50 to the bench, when you could switch into another ninja and snipe for 60 again while also attacking?

Why would you giant water shuriken, then retreat into a Mon that needs 2 energy attached in order to do 50 to the bench, when you could switch into another ninja and snipe for 60 again while also attacking?

Because your set up might not be complete and keeping your Froakie based line on the bench is the safest way to ensure there will eventually be a Greninja BREAK on it in the first place. We are talking BREAK stage 2 Pokemon here and I really don't know how Ninetales' Safeguard somehow is left out of the discussion here.
When I'm going into Alolan Ninetales I'm not only covering the GX side but also the regular one from BUS.

As before, if your not willing to try it, explain why you deem it to be bad? Is it because it does not assist in the set up? (Because it clearly does) Or is it because you don't feel you need time to complete the Greninja BREAK evolution line? (Because you do). Alolan Vulpix assists in the set up, Alolan Ninetales gives you the time...

Back