• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Spiritomb/Marshadow-Gx

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I wanted to share this deck list. Very powerful attacks being able to OHKO anything, using only 1 energy and has a bonus you have price denial from Black Market to last longer. Can OHKO anything if you can get a few counters on your Marshadow-Gx.

4 Spiritomb (UNB 112)
2 Tapu Lele-GX (GRI 60)
1 Buzzwole (FLI 77)
2 Marshadow-GX (BUS 80)
4 Dedenne-GX (UNB 57)
1 Marshadow (SMP 85)
1 Diancie Prism Star (FLI 74)
1 Mew (UNB 76)
1 Nihilego (LOT 106)
1 Beast Energy Prism Star (FLI 117)
4 Rainbow Energy (SM 137)
4 Unit Energy FDY (FLI 146)
2 Rescue Stretcher (BUS 165)
1 Black Market Prism Star (TEU 134)
3 Escape Board (UPR 167)
1 Professor Kukui (SM 148)
3 Guzma (BUS 143)
1 Field Blower (GRI 163)
1 Erika's Hospitality (TEU 174)
2 Choice Band (BUS 162)
4 Ultra Ball (SM 161)
2 Lillie (SM 147)
3 Pokémon Communication (TEU 196)
2 Nest Ball (SM 158)
2 Martial Arts Dojo (UNB 179)
3 Damage Mover (SLG 58)
2 Mallow (GRI 145)
2 Shrine of Punishment (CLS 143)

The idea here is to start with Spiritomb and try putting damage counters up on the board. Then later you can use Marshadow-Gx to delete anything. Let me know what you guys think of it and if you see any possible tweaks.

Last edited:
First of all, you need Giovanni's Exile in there. You can't afford to have key basics on your bench, much less amass Dedenne-GX/Tapu Lele-GX for Guzma takeouts.

Following up, I don't know how's your experience with the deck been so far, but I don't see Marshadow-GX being able to use Spiritomb's attack in this current meta. Any Tag Team attack currently seeing play will drop Marshadow-GX like a feather. But I guess that's what you're rolling with.

With that said, some other easy-to-use attacks, especially for early game, where Spiritomb can't really function: Buzzwole-GX / Dusk Mane Necrozma (baby promo) / Alolan Meowth (that's zero energy, so...)

The main drawbacks I see are using so many GX pokemon and put much weight on only 2 attackers which doesn't do much damage quickly, with so much GX's your opponent only need get 3 KO's, pretty easy against those GX's (especially if you play any of your 4 shrines); Marshadow would need either to take damage (and survive) or you to have the proper Pokemon in the discard pile, which won't happen always, and Spiritomb require some turns to be able to do a lot of damage. By the time you're set, your opponent might have already take 3 or 4 prizes.
Also I don't even mention black market as part of the strategy: it usually is either on prizes or countered immediately, it would works only for one of your pokemon and moreover, when you're playing Pokemon GX, is not rare that your opponent ends winning taking 7 or more prizes, so you would need to take advantage of its effect more than once to be worth it.
Rather than Giovanni's, like K-Genesis suggested, Acerola should be better (because of shrine, often you might not be able to discard the GX's, but with Acerola you can recover them and even play them again to use their ability). The alolan Meowth he mentioned could be nice to take some early prize and delay a little bit your opponent; several other cards may help to change them as well, since doesn't help too much to the overall strategy.

Anyway, it could be fun to play, but I won't expect much success of it :-(

I revamped the list. I felt like there was a few flaws but mainly:

- Spread damage (decided to include Mew)
- Slow to get running (included 3 Damage Mover)

While I understand concerns about Guzma, I feel like playing 3 Dedenne-Gx/Tapu Lele-Gx has just about the same downside as playing 4-5-6-7. So I either go all in with that or I switch to some other sort of draw engine. But I feel like most decks nowadays cannot afford to play Guzma every turn because they are reliant on something else like wielder for example. Having damage movers means that you don't need to wait for Marshadow-Gx to accumulate damage counters on the bench only using Shrine of Punishment and does help avoiding Guzma before he can stack enough damage to OHKO something.

I have played a few games and it feels very nice and works very well so far. I would like to have a bigger sample to make conclusions but it is worth the try and the time. I won games against the best decks. Obviously it has a good matchup against Pikachu&Zekrom and Zoroark-Gx (Muk can be a problem tho) because it hits for weakness and it can make use of a powerful 1 prize attacker to win the prize trade. Now with Mew it can hold up it's own against Weezing spread. Wall stall is not a problem because you can just put enough counters up to OHKO anything that comes up. Reshizard-TTGX can be taken out in 2 shots kinda quick if you manage to bench a lot of Spiritomb early and you get Damage Mover. Also, if you get down to 2 prizes, you can copy or straight use Nihilego'S attack to take it out.

Zapdos is the one that I feel like has the better chances here from what I can tell but if you manage to get Black Market up and don't get countered to fast, you can switch the prize trade to your advantage. And you can also put Buzzwole to good use. I did not play against Blacephalon and Quagsire but I am guessing it would be similar to Zapdos as win% goes.

While the list might need some more tweaking, I believe it has some serious potential. The fact that it only needs 1 energy and that it can reach very high damage numbers makes it a winning recipe. And against 1 prize attacker decks, Black Market can often turn things around.

Back