Spiritomb (Legendary Treasures) Discussion Thread

grantm1999

VileGar
87-spiritomb.jpg

Don't even look at it's attack (yet). I'm here to talk about this guy's weird and annoying ability. Locking Ace Specs for both sides! Talk about a hard counter to Genesect. For decks like Darkrai, Blastoise, and Virizion / Mewtwo, the only way Genesect can win against them is by using G-Booster at least one time. Since neither of those decks rely on their Ace Spec, Spiritomb is a very good tech to consider if you think you'll encounter Genesect in any given tournament. It also trolls all decks anyway. Although it locks your Ace Spec as well, you do control when you want to play it down. (unless you start with it, in which case you can always use its attack if you want to.

Since Darkrai has room, I think it might be a good idea to run two or three Spiritombs in that deck and no Ace Spec. Since Darkrai really doesn't need an Ace Spec thanks to things like Sableye, you can use Spiritomb to really hurt your opponent. How about this trollish scenario:

You are playing Darkrai against Genesect. Genesect wants to use G-Booster, so they Red Signal and Megalo Cannon to KO the Spiritomb thinking it's a 1-of tech. Then you play down another one! (to add, you can repeat this scenario for each additional Spiritomb you play!). They just wasted their precious Red Signal, especially if that allows you to force a 7th prize.

It can also function as a Tropical Beach in the late game with its attack! I think this card is much better than people are giving it credit for, what do you guys think?

grantm1999 said:
http://pokebeach.com/scans/legendary-treasures/87-spiritomb.jpg
You are playing Darkrai against Genesect. Genesect wants to use G-Booster, so they Red Signal and Megalo Cannon to KO the Spiritomb thinking it's a 1-of tech. Then you play down another one! (to add, you can repeat this scenario for each additional Spiritomb you play!). They just wasted their precious Red Signal, especially if that allows you to force a 7th prize.

NO! You can't waste 2-3 slots on a tech Pokemon for one Deck. What happens if YOU start with it? Darkrai plays an Ace-Spec too! I could see a possibility of a one of.... but then the Red Signal comes into play along with the possibility of a Catcher heads.
All in all, not worth the bench spot or the deck space in my opinion.

Honestly the only reason I could see it being played is in a brutal bash deck where you NEED to have six dark pokemon on the bench and even then I would run at most 1 in a deck. Since you would want 2-3 zorok 1-2 sableye and 1-2 darkrai EX on the bench.

I agree; this is a very nice tech against Vir / Gen. Without G Booster, Genesect is a very slow, less versatile version of Darkrai. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some Genesect decks started playing Garbodor to stop Spiritomb's ability. I don't think cutting your Ace Spec is worth it, especially in Darkrai decks; being able to Junk Hunt for Computer Search to get a crazy fast set up, or to Junk Hunt for Dowsing Machine to recycle Frozen City is just too incredible to pass up. Even in other decks, having 1 dead card in your deck isn't that big of a deal.

Speaking of Frozen City, Blastoise could use Spiritomb to stop Darkrai from using Dowsing Machine to get it back. I also imagine a lot of scenarios where your opponent's only way to get a Supporter is Computer Search or Dowsing Machine, and you play down Spiritomb and they draw dead for the rest of the game.

As for the attack, it's too easy to prepare against. If you N your opponent down to a low hand, and they have a Spiritomb out, just make sure to play a lot of cards down. Against decks with Tropical Beach (which will be a lot of them after the rule change), it's a very good attack early game. But then again, if Beach is out, you can just use Beach...

I wouldn't be surprised if Spiritomb joins the ranks of Mr. Mime as a really good tech in pretty much any deck.

I am surprised how well this card preformed in my testing, a bit limited but still. I think it is a card that you will see a lot of, but it can be played around if you know how to build around it.

Back