• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Speed Healing and Power (Venusaur EX / Sceptile)

AwesomeElephant8

Aspiring Trainer
Here's a fun Expanded deck for you guys, with an unconventional main attacker!

Pokémon (16)
  • 3 Venusaur EX
  • 4 Treecko
  • 3 Grovyle
  • 3 Sceptile
  • 1 Virizion EX
  • 1 Jirachi EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (31)
  • 2 Giant Plant Forest
  • 2 Virbank CIty Gym
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 2 Professor’s Letter
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Switch
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 1 Teammates
  • 1 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
Energy (13)
  • 9 Grass Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

What do you guys think of this decklist? It's very fast, hits quite hard, and is an auto win against Seismitoad EX decks and Kyogre decks. It can also deal with Vespiquen and Raichu. I don't know how well it will do against Accelgor/Trevenant or Trevenant/ Shaymin, but I think it is a really cool deck. For those of you that don't know, Venusaur's first attack does 60 damage and poison's your opponent's active Pokemon much like Gengar EX for [G] [C] [C]. Sceptile's Ability lets you attach an extra grass energy card from your hand to one of your pokemon and heal 30 damage from that Pokemon. Combined with Venusaur's second attack (90 and 30 heal for one more [G] energy), you could shrug off 90 damage in 1 turn! If you get a Sceptile up and running quickly, Not only could you get a Turn 1 Poison Powder, but you can also pretty much shut out the game, with a constant stream of healing and new attackers. Anyway, I haven't playtested this too much, so please give me feedback about the decklist. Thanks!

You should consider Super Potion -- you'll find you will have an excess amount of Energy attached to you, and when you do, you can always discard it with Super Potion to heal 60 damage. I played a Heracross deck similar to this a while back, so trust me when I say that it will be very advantageous for you if you play Super Potion. That way, you could theoretically heal 120 per turn for one use of Sceptile's ability, a Super Potion and an attack.

Also, have you considered Herbal Energy?

You should consider Super Potion -- you'll find you will have an excess amount of Energy attached to you, and when you do, you can always discard it with Super Potion to heal 60 damage. I played a Heracross deck similar to this a while back, so trust me when I say that it will be very advantageous for you if you play Super Potion. That way, you could theoretically heal 120 per turn for one use of Sceptile's ability, a Super Potion and an attack.

Also, have you considered Herbal Energy?
There's no room in my deck for Super Potion, and even if I did have space, I wouldn't run it, because my deck isn't so reliant on healing to do damage like Mega Heracross is. Regarding Herbal Energy, It only provides Grass Energy while in your hand, and therefore cannot be attached to your Pokemon with Sceptile's ability.

You can still attach it from your hand though. It heals 30, Sceptile's Ability heals 30, and if I recall correctly, Venusaur's attack heals 30. So that's 90 total; with Super Potion, you can heal 150. Nothing to scoff at. It might not be the strategy you were going for, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

You can still attach it from your hand though. It heals 30, Sceptile's Ability heals 30, and if I recall correctly, Venusaur's attack heals 30. So that's 90 total; with Super Potion, you can heal 150. Nothing to scoff at. It might not be the strategy you were going for, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.
You cannot attach Herbal Energy from your hand with Sceptile's ability; again, it doesn't provide Grass Energy in your hand. Also, I still think that there's no room in this decklist for Super Potion, which is especially useless with all the OHKO decks and Item Lock running around. I'll try it out, but I'm quite certain that there's no way to make this healing strategy work without sacrificing a lot of consistency.

How about if you put 1 or 2 M Venasaur EX's if you are worried about OHKO's. Because if you have GPF (Giant Plant Forest) and a Venasaur EX out then you could turn one Mega and you would not loose a turn of attacking (if you went first of course). Also it has 230 HP and its Crisis Vine attack leaves them Paralyzed so you probably won't take damage next turn (unless you OHKO them). Over all I think it would be a good addition to the deck even if OHKO's are not a problem.

You cannot attach Herbal Energy from your hand with Sceptile's ability; again, it doesn't provide Grass Energy in your hand.

I know how the cards work; I'm saying there's nothing stopping you from attaching the Energy from your hand as in independent of Sceptile's Ability.

AwesomeElephant8 said:
Also, I still think that there's no room in this decklist for Super Potion, which is especially useless with all the OHKO decks and Item Lock running around.

Not trying to be rude, but if you agree that a lot of decks will OHKO anyways, what's the point of tanking and healing as your strategy would suggest?

AwesomeElephant8 said:
I'll try it out, but I'm quite certain that there's no way to make this healing strategy work without sacrificing a lot of consistency.

Like I said, it's something to keep in the back of your mind. If you're finding that your healing is coming up a little short of being relevant, remember that as an option. I'm not saying you should absolutely play it. How would I know? I've never played the deck. That is all.

Here is a question. With stage ones on the rise, what about pyroar? This deck would die horribly to pyroar as only sceptile would be able to attack and promptly would be one shot.
I understand there are 2 lysandre but that may not be enough. you need more evolved pokemon for GPF and to counter the wrecking machine pyroar. Just saying. this may be a tier 2 deck, but it has a HUGE weakness. As I said, stage ones are on the climb and I have a feeling pyroar will be seen more often. Not to mention all of your pokemon have fire weakness and would get horribly dissected. Healing against a fire deck is not going to work with this.

But wouldn't Stage 1's and other evolutions gaining popularity inherently be bad for Pyroar?

Here is a question. With stage ones on the rise, what about pyroar? This deck would die horribly to pyroar as only sceptile would be able to attack and promptly would be one shot.
I understand there are 2 lysandre but that may not be enough. you need more evolved pokemon for GPF and to counter the wrecking machine pyroar. Just saying. this may be a tier 2 deck, but it has a HUGE weakness. As I said, stage ones are on the climb and I have a feeling pyroar will be seen more often. Not to mention all of your pokemon have fire weakness and would get horribly dissected. Healing against a fire deck is not going to work with this.
I'm just really counting on not running into Pyroar. While he can get poisoned by Venusaur's Poison Powder Attack, and can get hit hard by Sceptile, I've decided not to tech against it and forgo VS Seeker. I might want to put another Lysandre in for Garbodor and for Pyroar, but I'm not sure it can beat Pyroar at all. Good call though, I'll try to tech it if I can.

Not trying to be rude, but if you agree that a lot of decks will OHKO anyways, what's the point of tanking and healing as your strategy would suggest?
My strategy is in no way about healing. It is only a perk of Sceptile's ability. There is no card in this deck that would stray from the strategy of getting Sceptile(s) out as fast as possible and using Venusaur's first attack to hit for up to 110 damage quickly. This deck is built around that strategy and only that strategy. The rest of the cards are consistency (though I would like to find room for 2 VS Seeker) and to deal with Mega Rayquaza decks. Healing is just a second tool for beating Seismitoad. Not the central strategy of the deck.

Back