• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Speed Darkrai EX

alstoneman83

Pokemon Master
Backstory

After watching the replay of the 2013 Pokemon TCG World Championships, it was love at first sight when I watched Darkrai demolish the Juniors and Masters divisions. I am rather new to competitive TCG, so this is the first deck list I have ever created. Actually, this is almost a version 1.1, as I took this to my League and went 3-0 with this deck with one minor difference. (literally one or maybe two cards) Anyway, after play-testing on PlayTCG, I changed just a few things to help my deck out. This is my current deck list that I will be bringing to my league on Tuesday! (or as of now)

Current Deck List

Pokemon (11)
  • 3 Darkrai EX (DE 107)
  • 3 Sableye (DE 62)
  • 1 Mr. Mime (PF 47)
  • 3 Absol (PF 67)
  • 1 Keldeo EX (BC 142)

Trainers (37)
  • 4 Professor Juniper (PF 116)
  • 3 N (NV 101)
  • 4 Colress (PS 135)
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
  • 2 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
  • 2 Level Ball (ND 89)
  • 2 Ultra Ball (PF 122)
  • 2 Tool Scrapper (DR 116)
  • 3 Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
  • 4 Dark Patch (DE 93)
  • 3 Dark Claw (DE 92)
  • 1 Computer Search (BC 137) *Ace Spec
  • 1 Energy Switch (LT 112)
  • 2 Skyla (BC 134)

Energy (12)
  • 12 Darkness Energy (BW 111)

Strategy

Attackers

Darkrai EX (DE 107)

Darkrai EX is the main attacker of the Darkrai deck. Who would have guessed? In my opinion this is one of the top 10, or maybe even top 5, cards in the format right now. In this deck, it is used mainly as an attacker, but its ability plays a major role in this deck as well. Night Spear, its attack, hits for a solid 90, (110 with Dark Claw) which 2HKOs every card in the format that is not holding an HP-boosting item. Along with the good Active damage, Darkrai also attacks one of your opponent's bench Pokemon for 30, which doesn't seem overwhelming, but can be game-changing. Next, Darkrai has a massive 180 HP, making it very hard to take down in one attack. One might say, "Well, Darkrai has a big retreat cost (2 energy) so once it's in the Active spot, it's stuck there!" If someone says that, they need to learn to read the whole card! You see, Darkrai does indeed have a two-energy retreat cost, but its ability allows it, as well as all of your other Pokemon, to retreat for free, as long as it has a darkness energy attached! That helps this deck a lot, as this deck retreats many times to accomplish its goal. As you can see, Darkrai EX is the main Pokemon, as well as attacker, in this deck.

Absol (PF 67)

Our secondary attacker in this deck is Absol. At first glance, this card seems subpar, if not absolutely terrible. Many might say this, but you cannot find a better partner for Darkrai than Absol! If only people would read text once in a while... Mind Jack, Absol's first attack, does 20 damage plus 20 for every Bench Pokemon your opponent has in play. With a full bench and a Dark Claw equipped, that's a total of 140 damage! That's enough to knock out an Empoleon in a single attack! Why might this be a good partner for Darkrai? Think about it. Darkrai's 30 Bench damage plus 140 from Absol gives you a grand total of 170 damage. That's enough to knock out almost every card in the game! To top it all off, Mind Jack only costs two energy, so it can easily be set up in one turn with a Dark Patch. Due to Absol being a non-EX, it only gives up one prize card, making it possible for this deck to make your opponent earn 7 prizes. Absol is the secondary attacker in this deck that compliments Darkrai EX very well.

Support Pokemon

Sableye (DE 62)

Sableye is the starter Pokemon in the Darkrai deck. It dramatically helps you when setting up, as its attack, Junk Hunt, allows you to choose two item cards from your discard pile and add them to your hand. I normally use this to recycle Dark Patches and Hypnotoxic Lasers, and when I'm lucky Computer Search. As if it wasn't good enough, Junk Hunt only requires one energy, so you can have it ready on turn 1!

Mr. Mime (PF 47)

Mr. Mime is overall a great card. It only has one use, but it surely is a good one. Its ability, Bench Barrier, prevents all damage done to your bench Pokemon. I always try to get this out on turn one or two, as this card dramatically helps you get the edge in matches against Kyruem Plasma, Genesect, and mirror matches. Best of all, if you don't get it in your opening hand, you don't have to use an Ultra Ball if you don't want to, because Mr. Mime has 70 HP, which means you can search for it with a Level Ball! Overall, Mr. Mime is a major support card that will help turn the tides in your favor in many different matches.

Keldeo EX (BC 142)

Keldeo EX is in this deck for one solid reason. To prevent status conditions! As many of you know, Keldeo has an ability called Rush In, which allows Keldeo to 'rush into' the Active position, therefore removing the status condition on the Active Pokemon. Due to Darkrai's ability, all you need to do is attach an energy and Keldeo can retreat right back to the bench, allowing a status-free attacker to be promoted back to the active spot. This single card will almost guarantee a win against Gothitelle/Accelgor decks, as well as render Hypnotoxic Laser useless when playing decks that use it. Some Darkrai decks don't run Keldeo, but in my opinion, Keldeo is a must for many different decks!

Major Trainers

4 Professor Juniper, 4 N, 4 Colress

All three of these cards are musts for every deck. I was considering running only 2 or 3 N, but there was almost nothing else to add tot the deck! They are the 3 best draw supporters currently in the format, and when played correctly, all three are extremely powerful.

4 Hypnotoxic Laser and 2 Virbank City Gym

This deck lives and dies by the laser! Think about it. Empoleon, my personal enemy, has 140 HP. Darkrai hits for 110 with a Dark Claw, but who wants to wait two turns to knock it out? The answer is this ultimate combo! Hypnotoxic Laser automatically poisons your opponent's active Pokemon, and if you flip heads also puts your opponent's Pokemon to sleep. Normally, poison only does 10 damage in between turns, but when Virbank City Gym is in play, that 10 turns into 30. 110 from Darkrai plus the 30 from poison equals 140 damage, enough to KO many prominent Pokemon in the format, including Empoleon!

2 Tool Scrapper

I put two copies of Tool Scrapper into this deck. I feel as if it's just the right amount to do its job. I don't need it to get rid of Mirrors, Bangles, or Float Stones, even though that's what it is used for more often than not. I solely put these in here to nullify Garbodor's ability. Garbodor's Garbotoxin (try to say that 5 times fast) only activates when a Tool is equipped to Garbodor, which means Tool Scrapper prevents that ability from shutting you down. Ironically, some Darkrai decks actually use Garbodor, but with this deck being more offensively-based, I need to tech against it!

4 Dark Patch

Dark Patch is this deck's main form of energy acceleration. It helps to discard energy early, use Dark Patch to attach those energies, use Junk Hunt to get the Dark Patches back, and then repeat the process until you have a fully-powered Darkrai or Absol. Not too much to write about this card besides the fact it is extremely important to this deck!

3 Dark Claw

Dark Claw is the only Tool I run in this deck. Float stone is not needed due to Darkrai's ability, so there aren't too many other routes to go. Dark Claw boosts the power of your Dark Pokemon's attacks by 20, which might not seem like much, but can be game-changing. As I have mentioned many times throughout this post, Dark Claw can close the gap between a 1HKO and a 2HKO very easily. If I had room, I would run 4!

Actual Strategy

With this deck, you would preferably like to go second. If it is not in starting hand, try to get a Sableye out by using either Ultra Ball or Level Ball. Attempt to get Mr. Mime and Darkrai EX onto the bench by the end of turn one or two as well. By using Sableye to recycle Items such as Dark Patch, try to get a fully-powered Darkrai EX by turn 2, and start pounding away! When affected with status conditions, use the strategy under Keldeo EX to remove them ASAP. When you are hitting away with one attacker, make sure you have a Benched Darkrai EX or Absol that you are setting up to replace your Active Pokemon either when it is knocked out. When in a jam, try to set up an Absol in a turn, as I have done it many times before. When given the option of going aggresive versus going safe, always go agressive! Trust me, I've made that mistake more times than I can count!

Conclusion

This deck will be the one I bring to my league until I obtain the cards to build another! In my opinion, this deck is pure Speed Darkrai, with nothing special about it. Besides running one or two more Absol than some other Darkrai variants, this is the meat and potatoes of any Darkrai deck. Due to its success in my league matches, I believe this deck can be a contender due to its speed of setup, which is faster than a good majority of popular decks currently. All in all, I believe my Speed Darkrai deck list can be a major force in my league, as well as yours!

Pokemon (11)
  • 3 Darkrai EX (DE 107)
  • 3 Sableye (DE 62)
  • 1 Mr. Mime (PF 47)
  • 3 Absol (PF 67)
  • 1 Keldeo EX (BC 142)

Trainers (37)
  • 4 N (NV 101)
  • 4 Colress (PS 135)
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
  • 2 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
  • 2 Level Ball (ND 89)
  • 2 Ultra Ball (PF 122)
  • 2 Tool Scrapper (DR 116)
  • 3 Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
  • 4 Dark Patch (DE 93)
  • 3 Dark Claw (DE 92)
  • 1 Computer Search (BC 137) *Ace Spec
  • 1 Energy Switch (LT 112)
  • 1 Skyla (BC 134)

Energy (12)
  • 12 Darkness Energy (BW 111)

+1 Skyla
-1 N

Hi alstoneman83,

Nice deck. Not sure you want to start with Colress in the opening hand. I personally like to have some more Skyla to search out the item cards and Dark Claws. Maybe also consider to loose the one Energy Switch for a fourth Dark Claw. I know Sableye can get items back but it costs and attack. Since Pokémon Catcher involves a coinflip now you might also want to consider Escape Rope instead but I am not sure on this one.

Trainers (37)

4 Professor Juniper (PF 116)
3 N (NV 101)
3 Colress (PS 135)
4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
2 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
2 Level Ball (ND 89)
2 Ultra Ball (PF 122)
2 Tool Scrapper (DR 116)
3 Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
4 Dark Patch (DE 93)
4 Dark Claw (DE 92)
1 Computer Search (BC 137) *Ace Spec
3 Skyla (BC 134)

Other than that the deck looks fine. Speed darkrai is indeed nice and will become better once Pokemon XY is released.

Thanks Dark Espeon!

I completely agree with you about not wanting to start with Colress, but it is more powerful than both N and Juniper during the late-game. You are guaranteed almost 6 cards any time after turn 5, which is still a good draw once the prize cards start being drawn! I don't know if it's just me, but I just don't see the whole fascination with Skyla! I know what potential it has, but I just don't see it being a major piece of a fully-Basic Pokemon deck. I believe I said above, but I am definitely going to try to find space for a fourth Dark Claw now that you have mentioned that. Out of curiosity, why would it become more prominent after the release of X and Y Collections? Those sets will be the first new sets since I began playing TCG so I am intrigued! With this being my first deck list ever created, I am glad that you liked it for the most part! Try to get back to me about the X and Y Collections!

Thanks for reading!
-alstoneman83

Hi alstoneman83,

Have similar problems to find a good draw supporter line. With your considerations in mind how about 3-3 on both N and Colress? Pokémon XY will add Yveltal Ex to the deck, which is a more powerful version of Mewtwo Ex in Darkness decks. It also provides Yveltal non-Ex, which has an attack for one Darkness Energy that deals 30 damage and attaches a Darkness Energy from the discard to the bench. Combine that with one dark Patch and you have a consistent turn 2 Darkrai Ex if you managed to get two darkness energies into the discard pile. You can check either the Pokebeach front page or my deck for spoilers if you want.

I think your list is pretty good as is. I would drop the computer search for a Dowsing machine (that way you can bring it back with junk hunt, and then reuse to pick up Stadiums and supporters that couldnt be picked up through junk hunting) and maybe drop 1 Absol for 1 more skyla. 1 Skyla isnt quite enough especially without a dowsing. other than that, you have an ideal SpeedRai deck

Thank you both Dark Espeon and JungleBeatz!

-Dark Espeon

Wow, now I see how this deck will benefit! I will definitely be attempting to acquire those cards as soon as I can! As soon as I finish typing this, I will be sure to take a look at the X and Y Collection cards! Also, I was thinking about taking your idea with a 3-3 N and Colress, but I just don't know what else to add besides a fourth Dark Claw! Any ideas?

-JungleBeatz

Due to this being Speed Darkrai, I am running Computer Search no matter what.
JungleBeatz said:
(that way you can bring it back with junk hunt, and then reuse to pick up Stadiums and supporters that couldnt be picked up through junk hunting)
By saying this I believe you are implying that Computer Search cannot be recovered by Junk Hunt, which is not true, as Computer Search is an Item. I will take into consideration all of your suggestions for my deck, which I thank you for giving me!

Thank you both so much for replying, because this is my first major post on PokeBeach! I will continue to check on this thread daily, so try to get back to me sometime! Happy New Year!

Thanks,
alstoneman83

alstoneman83 said:

-JungleBeatz

Due to this being Speed Darkrai, I am running Computer Search no matter what.
JungleBeatz said:
(that way you can bring it back with junk hunt, and then reuse to pick up Stadiums and supporters that couldnt be picked up through junk hunting)
By saying this I believe you are implying that Computer Search cannot be recovered by Junk Hunt, which is not true, as Computer Search is an Item. I will take into consideration all of your suggestions for my deck, which I thank you for giving me!

Thank you both so much for replying, because this is my first major post on PokeBeach! I will continue to check on this thread daily, so try to get back to me sometime! Happy New Year!

Thanks,
alstoneman83
I never said or implied that computer search cant be junk hunted back (it is an item so it can)
It seems like you will be spending a lot of your resources quickly and will end up in the discard pile. I still think you should reconsider Dowsing Machine that can be picked back up just in case something doesn't go your way and can retry again, or the game ends up going for longer than your speed/resources will allow.
trust me, I played (before catcher rule change) Lugia Plasma decks where you knock out EX's for 3 prizes and the game ends quickly, there are some decks that will just make it hard on you to speed through them.

Also if you want to go through your deck quickly, i highly recommend bicycles, going through 1-4 cards (a couple of times) can speed you up quickly.
And with dowsing machine, [usually having a small hand most of the time] can keep reusing bicycles

Hi alstoneman83,

No problem. Got a lot of help on my trainers too on this forum and I hope that my Pokémon XY version works fine now. did not have the chance to test it thus far.

Beside the fourth Dark Claw I would also like one or two more Ultra Balls. My deck usually attempts to start with ultra balls to discard and rsearch for the attackers. Those energies can be reattached with Dark Patch and/or Deathwing.

Guess Computer search vs. Dowsing Maschine is a matter of perference from my point of view. I assume JungleBeatz wanted to say that the latter can return Dark Patch or any other trainer to your hand without a need to waste an attack for Sableye. If one returned card (e.g. Dark Patch) suffices this works out fine and all you want to search for are Pokémon and trainers anyway. Use 3-4 Skyla to get Dark Patch and Dark Claw out turn two. You can off set the lost supporter with Bicycle if you tend to burn your hand and deck like me.

Happy New Year

Once again, thanks to you both!

-JungleBeatz

To be perfectly honest, now I see why you would say that! I'm not familiar with Dowsing Machine, but now that you explained why, I am going to consider using Dowsing Machine! Thanks!

-Dark Espeon

All good suggestions as usual!

Tomorrow, I will be bringing the list that I originally posted, except I dropped 1 N for 1 Skyla. If I had a fourth Dark Claw, I would use it, but of course, I don't! Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Happy New Year,
-alstoneman83

Hi alstoneman83,

No problem. Nice to help out another Darkness player. Pmed you the spoilers from Pokémon XY that you requested ;). Let me know how the deck did.

Dark Espeon said:

Guess Computer search vs. Dowsing Maschine is a matter of perference from my point of view. I assume JungleBeatz wanted to say that the latter can return Dark Patch or any other trainer to your hand without a need to waste an attack for Sableye. ...
The function of Dowsing Machine is to bring back trainers that couldn't be brought back with Junk Hunt. Aka Virbank City Gym, Skyla, N, etc. and THEN bring Dowsing back with junk hunt. Dowsing machine is not an alternative to junk hunting, it should be used along side it. Junk hunting is NOT a waste of an attack. I can not stress enough how good it is to be junk hunting when you need to during the game.

To Dark Espeon, JungleBeatz, and anyone else who happens to be reading this,

Greetings! I just got back from my league, and I was VERY pleased with my result! As I said before, I went 3-0 on the 17th.

Today, I played 5 games, two of which were against the same player, so we considered it a match.

Game 1, against Darkrai/Hydregion/Mewtwo/Genesect (Weird deck) --- Win 1-0
Game 2, against Same person --- Win 2-0

Both of those matches were kind of a blur, as I blew through this combination of 20 decks. There were Mewtwos, G Boosters, Fighting energy, and who knows what else. Anyway, two easy wins for me, which gave me a little bit of confidence.

Game 3, against Garchomp/Altaria --- Loss 2-1

Okay, where do I start here? It takes 5 words to tell why I lost. I STARTED WITH MR. MIME. Good enough? My matchup is already bad enough, and then I have to start with that monstrosity, Despite my horrific start, I recovered fast, but lost 1-0 in the end. First loss of my career. Dang it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, this guy was arguably the best player there, and he was a Professor. Yeah, kind of sucks.

Game 4, against (insert 15 different Pokemon here) --- Win 3-1

Once again, blew through this is 7 turns, and I went first. Nice player, though.

Game 5, against Mewtwo/Giratina/Crobat --- Win 4-1

Second closest game, as this deck was well-made. Might not have the most popular names, but this was a good deck. He could never get started and I rode a T2 Night Spear to the win. GG.

Final Record: 4-1

Conclusion

All in all, I had a great time! I got an N League promo, which is awesome, but more importantly, I am extremely happy with my deck! Everything went well, and if I got a few more flips in the Garchomp/Altaira game, I would have won. Overall, I was glad to see my deck was capable of winning! Keep this thread active, as the more tips the better!

Happy New Year to everyone,
-alstoneman83

You only need 3 ultra balls in the deck since when playing 11 Pokemon, your going to draw into the pretty frequently and anymore will just act as wasted space in your deck. Also, add in 2 more energy switch since in this current format, the dark patch/energy switch combo is really strong and allows your deck to quickly power up both active and benched darkrais on a single turn. Energy switch is also great for getting energy on and off keldeo ex.

Finally running 3 absol is too many, despite is good attack, it's a very situational card and will not work in every situation. I would personally play only 1 or 2 absol since it can be usefull late game but it's a huge liability early game and lowers consistency within the deck.

Joltic,

Thanks so much for the input! Based on your accomplishments in your signature, I see how experienced you are in the TCG. I only run two Ultra Ball and two Level Ball, which I find adequate for the amount of Pokemon in my deck. If I had more Energy Switch, I would definitely include them, but unfortunately I don't. I might consider playing two Absol, but I don't know what else I would add due to my lack of Energy Switches. Thanks once again and Happy New Year!

Thanks so much,
-alstoneman83

You might want to run some enhanced hammers and crushing hammers (maybe a 2-2 split) instead of the energy switch since they too are very good, especially against plasma and can really help against other decks by being able to slow you opponent down. They work really well in this deck since you have the ability to abuse sableye's junk hunt attack to keep getting the hammers back to keep slowing your opponent down even more and to stop some big attacks late game.

If you like the idea of abuseing sableye's junk hunt, I would suggest running one or two silver mirrors so Sableye can be protected against plasma pokemon, thus slowing there game down even more and forcing your opponent to have a non plasma attacker or a tool scrapper to KO the Sableye. This can extend the 'sableye lock' in which they can't KO you but you can keep getting back hammers and other item cards to disrupt your opponent even more. Hope this helped, happy new year!

Joltic,

Good suggestions once again! In my collection, I currently have 1 Enhanced Hammer, 2 Silver Mirror, and 0 Crushing Hammer. Yeah, I told you I was new. If I had more hammers, I would definitely use them, but of course I don't. Anyway, I might tech in one or both of my Mirrors, to do what you said. I normally only use Sableye to set up and to not waste an attack if your opponent's Active was poisoned and was going to die, so I don't know if it will be useful to me. Keep the ideas coming, because the more the better!

Happy New Year,
-alstoneman83

Hi alstoneman83',

If you can trade for one energy switch do this:

Pokemon (10)
  • 3 Darkrai EX (DE 107)
  • 3 Sableye (DE 62)
  • 1 Mr. Mime (PF 47)
  • 2 Absol (PF 67)
  • 1 Keldeo EX (BC 142)

Trainers (39)