• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Sparkling Regi's Gengar Punch (Wobbuffet / Regice / Gengar EX)

DadthatStats

Aspiring Trainer
STANDARD FORMAT

Hi all, I have been playing with numbers and tackling a harsh deck I built for my son that deals with M Tyrannitar Ex and Malamar Ex as their main attackers. Which I made because Rayquaza was over taking the local events. I changed an old deck list and got this new list. The idea obviously use Regice w/ Sparkling Robe against Ex's to wear them down. Gengar Ex scatter damage across the field and get KO's on basic Pokémon. All the while Lugia Ex is there to take the stadium crazy Rayquaza and Florges Decks down. AZ will keep your prize cards safe only for EX's, this is important because if you waist them on Poliwag or Regice you might get caught in a bad situation.

Pokémon: 15
  • 3 Wobuffet
  • 3 Unown
  • 3 Regice
  • 1 Poliwag
  • 2 Lugia EX
  • 2 Gengar EX
  • 1 M Gengar EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 4 Tierno
  • 3 Shauna
  • 2 AZ
  • 2 Maintenance
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Sparkling Robe
  • 2 Exp. Share
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Energy Switch
  • 1 Gengar Spirit Link
  • 1 Level / Repeat Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Weakness Policy
  • 1 Dimension Valley
  • 1 Rough Seas (this plus sparkling robe and Regice is really harsh against ex heavy decks)
Energy: 12
  • 4 Water Energy
  • 4 Psychic Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy
  • 2 Mystery Energy
Strategy:

As you may be able to tell by now, this deck can twist, turn and burn your opponents not only with their own attacks but by taking their energy and self healing all the way to glory. Also I find that if you go first it is best but going second allows allows you to attack right away allowing you to build pressure from turn one. Tierno's should be used first and then into Shauna's for best pulls. Additionally, please considerusing stadiums only when you need to and the energy recycler after the loss of the first two basic pokemon. This, couple with switch ensures your energy can be used on the player you need when you need. I love the look on someone's face that just placed M Tyrannitar against a five energy Lugia and then I switch two more energy on that Lugia for my turn for the OHKO. Or if you like play it sweet and switch in that Sparkling Robe Regice and force them to retreat or just take the beating. If they do get past those two for some reason, then just use M Gengar's attack to lay waist to anyone else. Especially since the Mystery Energy or AZ, your choice, allows for a minimal penalty retreat.

Basically Robes keep the bats/ abilities at bay while, Wobuffet ensures it. Poliwag is there to keep you from the unlucky pulls with Regice in your Prize cards. It is not uncommon for this deck to also get 2 Shauna and a Tierno for the first four pulls either, which with Unown, really makes it possible to fly safely through this deck! Enjoy!

Last edited:
This a very interesting deck you have DadthatStats.

While I enjoy the deck, I do have a few questions I'd like to ask before I gave some suggestions.

Why did you choose Tierno over other staples like Professor Sycamore? I understand the intentions behind it, but wouldn't Roller Skates provide a better option? While it is a coin flip, it still will grant you three cards if heads and will not use a supporter for the turn.

What made you go with such a low stadium count? I know you're running two technically, but you're only running one of two kinds of stadiums so I'm rather curious why on those choices as well.

I'm surprised to not see Shaymin EX in this list as everyone opts to put at least one in to their deck. What made you opt to not put this in since you're running AZ?

You talked about Poliwag as well, but I don't see the card in the deck list either, would you care to elaborate a bit more please?

I do have a few more questions (possibly) but I would like to see what you're strategy behind the deck is a bit more from just what you'd put down.

Pokémon: 15
  • 3 Wobuffet
  • 3 Unown
  • 3 Regice
  • 2 Lugia EX
  • 2 Gengar EX
  • 1 M Gengar EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 4 Tierno
  • 3 Shauna
  • 2 AZ
  • 2 Maintenance
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Sparkling Robe
  • 2 Exp. Share
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Energy Switch
  • 2 Trainer's Mail
  • 1 Gengar Spirit Link
  • 1 Level / Repeat Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Weakness Policy
  • 1 Dimension Valley
  • 1 Rough Seas (this plus sparkling robe and Regice is really harsh against ex heavy decks)

Energy: 12
  • 4 Water Energy
  • 4 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 2 Mystery Energy
First of all, your deck counts are not accurate; you have listed:

14 Pokémon, not 15;
34 Trainers, not 32; and
14 Energy, not 12.

This is a total of 62; so, 2 cards need to be cut.

Secondly, with only 1 M Gengar EX, chances are getting this into play may prove difficult. IMO, this slot, along with its Spirit Link, can be replaced with other cards that can better serve the deck.

There are only 7 total card-drawing Supporters which seem woefully insufficient, especially when you are not even using Professor Sycamore (perhaps the "strongest" card-drawing support in the deck) nor Shaymin EX.

2 AZ seem excessive, plus you'll lose all of the attached energy and/or Tool and the time you'll need to re-attach the energy.

There are quite a few Tools (3 Sparkling Robe, 2 Exp. Share, 1 Weakness Policy, etc.) being utilized. These 6 Tools, for this type of deck, seem excessive to me and would clutter the deck hindering you from drawing into needed cards.

No Lysandre?

No Ultra Balls which to help search and get needed Pokémon to setup your bench??

There are only 2 Stadiums which would be woefully insufficient should you need to leverage either Dimension Valley or Rough Seas more than once instance (given your opponent replaces your Stadium).

No VS Seeker??

Following are some suggested changes for your consideration:

-1 Mega Gengar EX - not as helpful as Gengar EX, IMO
-2 Maintenance - not that good for card-drawing purposes, IMO; plus, if you are Item-locked, you can't play this card
-2 Exp. Share - Sparkling Robe would seem more important; plus, your opponent can Lysandre and KO your Pokémon with the attached Exp. Share, thus nullifying its effect
-1 AZ (1 of 2 cards to cut?)
-1 Trainer's Mail (1 of 2 cards to cut?)
-2 Energy Switch - 4 seem excessive (IMO, opponents won't give you the opportunities to play 4 of these)
-1 Gengar Spirit Link - not really needed
-1 Weakness Policy - not really needed as a "1 of," IMO

+2 Level Ball - to help setup your bench faster
+2 Ultra Ball - to help setup your bench faster
+1 Lysandre - promote opponent's benched Pokémon to active position
+2 Professor Sycamore (or Professor Birch's Observations) - more card draw power
+2 VS Seeker - to recover and resue discarded Supporter

I hope you find these comments helpful.

This a very interesting deck you have DadthatStats.

While I enjoy the deck, I do have a few questions I'd like to ask before I gave some suggestions.

Why did you choose Tierno over other staples like Professor Sycamore? I understand the intentions behind it, but wouldn't Roller Skates provide a better option? While it is a coin flip, it still will grant you three cards if heads and will not use a supporter for the turn.

What made you go with such a low stadium count? I know you're running two technically, but you're only running one of two kinds of stadiums so I'm rather curious why on those choices as well.

I'm surprised to not see Shaymin EX in this list as everyone opts to put at least one in to their deck. What made you opt to not put this in since you're running AZ?

You talked about Poliwag as well, but I don't see the card in the deck list either, would you care to elaborate a bit more please?

I do have a few more questions (possibly) but I would like to see what you're strategy behind the deck is a bit more from just what you'd put down.

I chose Tierno over the rest because honestly I am the worst roller in history. Sycamore to me has proven too efficient at handing your opponent the win. When running numbers on twitched events, regional/national/international, yes Sycamore will get you to the top but you will also more times than not discard vital cards. Meaning you will need more cards to get them back. Most players don't see this as a problem if they can win in three to seven turns as opposed to the normal ten turns. Shamil Ex is too easy of a kill in today's non expanded format. Sure the free switch is great but what if you have an under powered Ex on your bench, Lugia Ex, and you are facing Tyrannitar/Rayqauza/Toad/Trevenant? Trading one prize card instead of two is always the way to go for me. I find that most players, peak too early and this allows for stalling as well as slow best downs with Regice and Wobuffet. Again, most people ability lock so trading a bad situation for a worse one where two Ex's are now in peril seems unwise. I have edited the list and Poliwag is back on there but honestly this is the one free prize card in the deck. It is meant to make your opponent lament. If I must give up a prize card this guy will make the fight for Regice/Wobuffet easy as can be. Still leaving them enough to take on the heavy hitters. Also, at one energy retreat and energy switches by your side, you still can do 10 damage and setup Lugia or Gengar or even Regice. Poliwag uses any type of energy for his main attack.

Almost forgot Stadiums! Okay, so everyone in my local league and abroad teased my son for this, until he reached third place. One or two Regice's and Wobuffet may get knocked out, that is okay, because the rough seas is meant for the second and third Regice. Dimension Valley is simply not useful for Wobuffet and Unown because their attacks won't get you very far, maybe a free switch from the opponent but that is all. More times than not they will put a stadium to replace your current one unless it works for them as well. Bats is currently the issue with this deck except in a Wobuffet situation. Then simply switch (Switch+Energy switch) for poliwag for the easy kill. And since you have robes on all your important pokemon. In the case of a two total stadiums and running a 1-1 lineup, think of all the different obstacles you gave the opponent up to this point and I gurantee you the last thing they will be thinking about is stadiums. Especially since they are running just as low a number if not lower. In the case of the jerk who decides to go three, probability states that one is likely to end up in the prize cards or the bottom of the deck. Add in constant shuffling and good luck finding that stadium, ever if at all within ten turns.

Last edited:
First of all, your deck counts are not accurate; you have listed:

14 Pokémon, not 15;
34 Trainers, not 32; and
14 Energy, not 12.

This is a total of 62; so, 2 cards need to be cut.

Secondly, with only 1 M Gengar EX, chances are getting this into play may prove difficult. IMO, this slot, along with its Spirit Link, can be replaced with other cards that can better serve the deck.

There are only 7 total card-drawing Supporters which seem woefully insufficient, especially when you are not even using Professor Sycamore (perhaps the "strongest" card-drawing support in the deck) nor Shaymin EX.

2 AZ seem excessive, plus you'll lose all of the attached energy and/or Tool and the time you'll need to re-attach the energy.

There are quite a few Tools (3 Sparkling Robe, 2 Exp. Share, 1 Weakness Policy, etc.) being utilized. These 6 Tools, for this type of deck, seem excessive to me and would clutter the deck hindering you from drawing into needed cards.

No Lysandre?

No Ultra Balls which to help search and get needed Pokémon to setup your bench??

There are only 2 Stadiums which would be woefully insufficient should you need to leverage either Dimension Valley or Rough Seas more than once instance (given your opponent replaces your Stadium).

No VS Seeker??

Following are some suggested changes for your consideration:

-1 Mega Gengar EX - not as helpful as Gengar EX, IMO
-2 Maintenance - not that good for card-drawing purposes, IMO; plus, if you are Item-locked, you can't play this card
-2 Exp. Share - Sparkling Robe would seem more important; plus, your opponent can Lysandre and KO your Pokémon with the attached Exp. Share, thus nullifying its effect
-1 AZ (1 of 2 cards to cut?)
-1 Trainer's Mail (1 of 2 cards to cut?)
-2 Energy Switch - 4 seem excessive (IMO, opponents won't give you the opportunities to play 4 of these)
-1 Gengar Spirit Link - not really needed
-1 Weakness Policy - not really needed as a "1 of," IMO

+2 Level Ball - to help setup your bench faster
+2 Ultra Ball - to help setup your bench faster
+1 Lysandre - promote opponent's benched Pokémon to active position
+2 Professor Sycamore (or Professor Birch's Observations) - more card draw power
+2 VS Seeker - to recover and resue discarded Supporter

I hope you find these comments helpful.
I thoroughly enjoyed them!!!

Updated the list and I am at 60 cards now. My son played with it at a local tournament and it did real well, 3rd place first time out, as posted without revisions.
M Gengar is there as a last resort, not a main attacker. If anything he is there to push the opponent's mental capacity as now in this late part of the match their heavy hitters are now all gone. Example being my son dropped a malamar ex + Tyrannitar Ex combo with Regice and a sparkling robe. Could you imagine their face when they got the next Tyrannitar up and he had to go up against M Gengar when he was already damaged from Regice? So yes the spirit link stays because most opponents will assume you don't have one if you haven't used it by the third prize card taken.
Most matches last, 7-10 turns, so adding more actually makes your probability of usability extremely low. This deck will never deck out and never discard a much need EX or evolution in place of a new hand. Same goes with Ultra ball, if you have something vital or even helpful currently. It is best just to place what you can, add pressure and get the new hand to really turn on the heat.
Two AZ, probably my favorite part of this deck. If, I start with useless cards such AZ and an Ex I simply can't power up. AZ will save your game, forgo adding anything to that ex or even basic pokemon and get your next guy up. Sure the opponent will have their attackers lined up but so will you and the cost was AZ, not prize cards.
Lastly, I see where you are going with the tool cards but there are 15 i item cards as well so I don't follow your logic. I understand it as, because I have one Mega Gengar I am going to pull it and nothing else. My path of logic is, 3 of 15 for sparkling robes to item cards or even 2 of 15 for exp share. I don't need them but I can use them to rip through the deck, protect against most anything and at the end of the day be able to either switch Pokémon/energy, or discard it. Item lock is not prevent in my area but if it is in yours than I would replace 1 Wobuffet, 1 Poliwag, 1 Unown with whatever deletes that. That is actually the best option for this deck as it eliminate most combos playing on one side or the other. Also this is the reason for M Gengar, if he goes up against a Toad deck unleashing a deck worth of pulls and item cards when they have used most if not all of theirs seems like an easy comeback. Lysander not needed, as in either situation, the opponent's, is a bad one.

Competition decks, 1rst-8th place are at most 82%-79% efficient. Higher than that and if your strategy gets tampered with, then you are all but done. Up to 5% lower than that you won't have a strategy at all and most likely be pulled apart at the stitches.

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed your suggestions, I just would rather not deck out if some jerk has one Poliwag and keeps sleeping my pokemon at the end of the game.

Back