Discussion Some basic play rules

JeremyR

Aspiring Trainer
Im not a regular here so I’m apologising in advance for my lack of etiquette. I play in isolation with my son and daughter and don’t get the opportunity to play online or go to meets at all to learn the rules effectively.

Just a couple of simple TCG rules I’m not clear on.

1. If one of my Pokemon has evolved and then is knocked out, can I use rescue stretcher to rescue that Pokemon’s Evolved state and play it as an evolved Pokemon again?

2. When asked to count the amount of energies attached to mine or my opponents Pokemon, does a double energy count as 2 or as 1 (single special energy)?

3. If my active Pokemon is poisoned for example, is the damage applied before I flip a coin between turn?

4. and do I flip a coin between my turn and then my opponents turn?

5. Also if I fail to throw a head for any special condition in between my opponents turn and mine, there’s nothing stopping me from switching or evolving that Pokémon on my turn and removing the special condition?

Im not a regular here so I’m apologising in advance for my lack of etiquette. I play in isolation with my son and daughter and don’t get the opportunity to play online or go to meets at all to learn the rules effectively.

Just a couple of simple TCG rules I’m not clear on.

Welcome to PokéBeach! Let's see if we can help you out. I'm trying to stick to simple answers, so I won't worry about obscure exceptions (like you often find with a nearly 20-year-old game).

1. If one of my Pokemon has evolved and then is knocked out, can I use rescue stretcher to rescue that Pokemon’s Evolved state and play it as an evolved Pokemon again?

Rescue Stretcher lets you shuffle up to three Pokémon from your discard pile into your deck, or to return one Pokémon from your discard pile to your hand. Once something leaves the field, it doesn't "remember" anything about being in play. You must meet any requirements for the Pokémon to enter play again, like Evolving from the appropriate lower Stage. There are some cards that allow you to play an Evolution directly to the field, like Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick; I mention it because it isn't that obscure, and to give you an idea of the kind of costs that tend to go with such a powerful effect.

2. When asked to count the amount of energies attached to mine or my opponents Pokemon, does a double energy count as 2 or as 1 (single special energy)?

If the card effect says to count the amount of Energy, you count the units of Energy provided e.g. a Double Colorless Energy card provides and counts as two units of Energy. If the effect specifies "Energy card", then you count the number of cards e.g. Double Colorless Energy only counts as one Energy card. So it is all about whether you need to counter "Energy" or "Energy cards".

3. If my active Pokemon is poisoned for example, is the damage applied before I flip a coin between turn?

When multiple effects apply to a Pokémon between turns, I believe the person who controls that Pokémon determines the order of effect resolution. So if you needed to flip for a Sleep Check between turns, you can choose to do it before or after. I am a bit confused by your example, though, as Poison alone does not involve coin flips; it simply places a damage counter on the Poisoned Pokémon between turns. Burn places two damage counters on the Burned Pokémon between turns, then you flip to see if Burn goes away (Burn did not always work like this).

4. and do I flip a coin between my turn and then my opponents turn?

Again, not sure where the coin flip comes into play, but Burn and Poison apply between turns. Period. After your turn ends but before your opponent's turn begins, all Poisoned Pokémon have a damage counter from the Poison placed on them. After your opponent's turn ends but before your opponent's turn begins, all Poisoned Pokémon have a damage counter from the Poison placed on them.

Exceptions aren't so rare that I can ignore them entirely, but cards, where it works differently will say so.

5. Also if I fail to throw a head for any special condition in between my opponents turn and mine, there’s nothing stopping me from switching or evolving that Pokémon on my turn and removing the special condition?

Correct, the Special Conditions that may go away on their own (Burn and Sleep) can still be removed the way all Special Conditions can be removed even if you fail the check between turns:
  • By being sent to the Bench
  • By leaving play
  • By Evolving
  • Through card effects that say they remove Special Conditions (like Full Heal)
I hope these help. Feel free to ask more, or for clarification on what I just said. You didn't ask, but based on some of your questions I wanted to make it clear, only Burn and Sleep have checks between turns to see if they go away on their own. Confusion, Paralysis, and Poison do not, though Paralysis usually goes away at the end of your (the player with the Paralyzed Pokémon) next turn.

Rescue Stretcher lets you shuffle up to three Pokémon from your discard pile into your deck, or to return one Pokémon from your discard pile to your hand. Once something leaves the field, it doesn't "remember" anything about being in play. You must meet any requirements for the Pokémon to enter play again, like Evolving from the appropriate lower Stage. There are some cards that allow you to play an Evolution directly to the field, like Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick; I mention it because it isn't that obscure, and to give you an idea of the kind of costs that tend to go with such a powerful effect.

If the card effect says to count the amount of Energy, you count the units of Energy provided e.g. a Double Colorless Energy card provides and counts as two units of Energy. If the effect specifies "Energy card", then you count the number of cards e.g. Double Colorless Energy only counts as one Energy card. So it is all about whether you need to counter "Energy" or "Energy cards".

Thanks that cleared those two issues up for me :)

When multiple effects apply to a Pokémon between turns, I believe the person who controls that Pokémon determines the order of effect resolution. So if you needed to flip for a Sleep Check between turns, you can choose to do it before or after. I am a bit confused by your example, though, as Poison alone does not involve coin flips; it simply places a damage counter on the Poisoned Pokémon between turns. Burn places two damage counters on the Burned Pokémon between turns, then you flip to see if Burn goes away (Burn did not always work like this).

Opps! That was not a typo but the way I have been playing the game incorrectly by flipping the coin for a poisoned Pokemon. Thanks for clarifying that one I can now change that and play it properly.

Paralysis usually goes away at the end of your (the player with the Paralyzed Pokémon) next turn.

6. Can I still switch my active Pokemon even though it is paralysed?

7. At any stage can I replace a tool card on my active Pokemon with another different tool card? (This is not how we currently play)

8. Can I put a tool card on one of my benched Pokemon? (more as a reminder rather than a strategic play, although putting something like Dumb Bells to increase HP could be useful in some circumstances)

9. If a card allows me to move a Pokemon from the bench/active to my hand, does that Pokemon still retain all of its original damage counters?

10. Also just to confirm, Abilities work whether Pokemon are active or benched?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can switch it using a Guzma or other switching card (switch, escape rope, etc). BUT you can't retreat it.

7. At any stage can I replace a tool card on my active Pokemon with another different tool card? (This is not how we currently play)
No, you can't remove the tool just because you want to do so. You must play a card like Field Blower to remove it. Once there is no tool attached, you can attach a new tool.

8. Can I put a tool card on one of my benched Pokemon? (more as a reminder rather than a strategic play, although putting something like Dumb Bells to increase HP could be useful in some circumstances)
Yes, you can attach tools to your benched Pokemon. Some decks even require this to function properly.

9. If a card allows me to move a Pokemon from the bench/active to my hand, does that Pokemon still retain all of its original damage counters?
Yes, damage counters always stay with the Pokemon, unless you play a card that specifically says differently (e.g. healing cards, GX attacks that heal, attacks that move damage counters around).

Thanks in advance
Generally, yes. Cards like Octillery and Oranguru can use their ability whether active or on the bench. Other cards like Tapu Lele GX have abilities that only fire one time, at the exact time that you bench Tapu Lele. Still others only fire while the Pokemon is in the active and they will say so (Glaceon GX). And still others have specific situations where they fire (several, for instance, have abilities that only come into play if they are attacked).

You may use a switching card effect, but I think the only way you can manually retreat is thanks to a very recent Pokémon Tool called Escape Board. Escape Board specifically reduces the Retreat Cost of the Pokémon to which it is attached by [C] and allows that Pokémon to retreat while Asleep or Paralyzed.

Nope, once a Tool is attached to a Pokémon, it remains attached until a card effect removes it or the Pokémon in question leaves play. There are card effects that can allow you to return a Tool from one of your Pokémon to your hand, as well as those that can discard Tools from in play.

Yes. This is even an important part of certain strategies. Gee, wonder if you've heard that before. ;)

If a Pokémon leaves the field, it loses everything that was attached to it, as well as any effects that were placed on it. This is why I went ahead and reanswered everything; I think @JGB146 misread your comment and thought it was talking about when a Pokémon moved from the Active position to the Bench. A Pokémon returning to your hand resets everything about it.

Depends on the Ability, actually. It should say where it works. Sometimes they work whether Active or Benched, sometimes only one or the other. Some Abilities only work in the hand or the discard pile!

11. If a card says "Look for "n" number of pokemon in your deck and put them onto your bench", if I dont have enough room on my bench, can I put them into my hand instead?

I think Ive run out of questions for now! Thanks for your help :)

11. If a card says "Look for "n" number of pokemon in your deck and put them onto your bench", if I dont have enough room on my bench, can I put them into my hand instead?

Nope. You do as much of the effect as you can, but in this case, that means you look for and Bench the amount of Pokémon for which you have room.

For example, if you use Brigette and you only have two spaces open on your Bench, and you do not elect to simply grab one Pokémon-EX, then you may search your deck for up to two Basic Pokémon and Bench them. The fact you could have gotten three if you only had more Bench space is simply "wasted potential".

Glad you're getting your questioned answers. I've noticed a common theme with at least a few of them is hoping for far, far better effects than what the card actually does. This may sound odd, but you might want to be a bit more... pessimistic? XD

This may sound odd, but you might want to be a bit more... pessimistic? XD

:D I think you are right there and its good to know that I ought to err on the side of pessimism. But when one is playing with kids who love bending rules and everybody is learning at the same time, well I think you get where Im heading with this.

:D I think you are right there and its good to know that I ought to err on the side of pessimism. But when one is playing with kids who love bending rules and everybody is learning at the same time, well I think you get where Im heading with this.

Yeah, I do. :D Just be careful not to overindulge that; my sister's in-laws play Scrabble with a dictionary.

I don't mean they reference one when a word is challenged; I mean when they play, you're allowed to look words up in the dictionary to use on your turn. O_O

Yeah, I do. :D Just be careful not to overindulge that; my sister's in-laws play Scrabble with a dictionary.

I don't mean they reference one when a word is challenged; I mean when they play, you're allowed to look words up in the dictionary to use on your turn. O_O

Hehe, yeah that kind of defeats the purpose of playing the game Scrabble.
Actually we do have one golden house rule when playing Pokemon, and that is any player is allowed to "undo" the last move as long as they have not attacked, if there is a more efficient way of doing something. I find this a good way to learn and teach my kids how to play.

For example, if my son switches his pokemon and then does a max potion to heal it, well then I might say that he could save his switch card and retreat instead since that pokemon will lose all its energy anyway. And every now and then we even break the golden house rule?! by allowing a player to put an energy card down even after they attack if they forgot to do so during their turn. This one doesnt sit well with me because its such basic game play but sometimes even a golden rule should be broken for the sake of having a peaceful game ;)

Also Im a lot harder on my girl friend than I am my kids as I probably wouldnt let her get away with breaking the golden house rule. :)

Back