Discussion Solgaleo GX, Gardevoir GX, and mild Ultra Prism analysis (Standard Post-ULP)

Sal Fontana

Glaceon GX hype!
Hello pokebeach! This is my first time posting in the PTCG Competitive thread, although I have been flitting around the deck garage here and there. There are a few things on my mind when it comes to the competitive format. The first thing is Solgaleo GX. This card is such a beast, and I feel that it's vastly underrated. In a standard format ruled by two prize attackers with 230 or less HP, Solgaleo can just eat up anything that comes its way. With the release of Ultra Prism right around the corner, and with it a Solgaleo Prism star that is astounding, what better time to start theorymonning about potential meta-dominating Solgaleo decks!

I have been playtesting my own vanilla Solgaleo list that is very, very potent. I am not ready to share it just yet (there are a few kinks that I have to iron out), but I can tell you about the general strategy: use Sol Bust GX turn 2 to accelerate FIVE energy onto your board and proceed to sweep the game in the next 3 or 4 turns. One point of nitpicking for this deck is what support Pokemon to run. You NEED some energy acceleration/retrieval for that one turn where you have no energy on the board because you discarded it all. Rayquaza GRI seemed to be the play, but I found it a little too clunky, and way too easy to KO. An obvious solution is to play the Solgaleo Prism Star, who, for one metal energy, accelerates up to SIX basic energy from the discard to your Pokemon! It seriously feels like cheating when you use it... However, you can only play one of these bad boys, so we need a fallback. This is where Registeel/Mt. Coronet comes in.

Registeel has 10 more HP than Rayquaza, but accelerates one less energy than Rayquaza. It also requires one less energy to use its attack. However, the extra HP is essential for a few reasons. Zoroak GX cannot one hit you, and this alone makes Registeel worthy of consideration. Golisopod cannot one hit you, neither can Silvally. Buzzwole has to have two strong energy to two hit you (a strong energy and a Regirock EX doesn't cut it). This subtle prize denial against many of the strongest decks at the moment is crucial to keeping your opponent struggling to catch up. A Rayquaza may be faster, but it is an insane prize liability (Buzzwole can one hit it so easily!). You can accomplish the same feats with a Registeel that you can with a Rayquaza at a lower cost, and with less risk.

Enough about nitpicking Solgaleo strategy, it's time to discuss the death of Gardevoir (or the lack thereof). I am of the opinion that Gardevoir will not be nerfed as hard as people think when Ultra Prism releases. All of the big metal heavy-hitters have a base of 230 damage (or close enough to it) that weakness barely matters. Dusk Mane Necrozma hits for 220 without a choice band, a single dhelmise secures the KO without weakness. My point is this: Gardevoir does not suffer any more than every other meta deck. The meta is metal, but Gardevoir is still a contender. At first, it will seem like the card is dead, but it is rather dormant, biding it's time for a strategy to be discovered that cements it as the BDIF once again.

One final thought before I close: Garchomp needs more support. We know it is definitely going to receive some support, but I don't think it will be enough. Perhaps one of the coolest archetypes to emerge from Ultra Prism, Garchomp seems a bit lackluster in my eyes. Sure, that Lucario is REALLY good, and hitting for 230 every turn (at the cost of playing a supporter other than Cynthia) seems amazing on paper, but the deck doesn't seem strong enough to break into the meta. However, we are getting a fighting type reprint of Garchomp. Brooklet Hill, Strong Energy, and Buzzwole GX can bring so much to the archetype, but I am still dubious. A stage two deck that needs to play a specific supporter each turn to OHKO GXes just seems a little bit too much to ask, even with an amazing stadium, an early game attacker in Buzzwole, and strong energy to help edge out numbers early or against huge metal-types.

If you've read this far, congradulations! Thank you for reading my ramblings all the way through, and I am anxious to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
I like Solgaleo. I've never been a fan of Stage 2 lines in general, but I'll take a shot at building one with the drop of ULP. Maybe try something involving Dhelmise, as a mere 2 on the bench makes Sol OHKO anything w/o needing C Band. Just another Sol variant that will get a little cooler with the new set coming out.

I’ve been playing Solgaleo with Rayquaza and it has been working out pretty well for me, being able to attach 2 energies instead of one is a big deal in that deck. The new prism star Solgaleo will be a game changer though.

Back