Discussion So Expanded is a thing - What's your play?

Jorgie

Aspiring Trainer
Expanded looks to be here to stay for the foreseeable future at Regional events at least... This opens up the game to an unbelievable amount of possibilities...

So, let's start the conversation... What's your play? What has newly found potential?

Discuss!

There's going to be a lot of Grass. With Virizion and Genesect back in the format, grass will be really powerful. Sceptile/Genesect, Vespiquen, and Exeggutor/Vileplume will probably all do well.
Then again, with all the grass, some Fire decks could see play. The ones that come to mind are Magcargo Ancient Trait, Camerupt EX/Camerupt Double Crisis, and Charizard Combustion Blast.
My play is probably Magcargo/Bats because it takes down grass types, is a non-EX, and can deal with other EXs with Bats. But it loses to mega decks that aren't grass weak.
For the megas, I don't know what to think about T-Tar. It gets Darkrai and Dark Patch in Expanded, but is that enough? It dosen't really need Dark Patch since Mega Turbo exists. Rayquaza might see some play because of it's speed that can hold up against the Grass decks, but it dosen't really gain anything from Expanded that I can think of. I like Manectric, but Sceptile is better for energy acceleration since it also heals and with Superior Energy Retrieval in Expanded, Manectric is outclassed.

Exeggcutor/Vileplume. Turn 1 Item and Supporter lock is just ridiculous. Whoever attacks first wins.

I tell you what i'm looking forward to - someone coming up with an awesome lock deck or similar. The obvious one is of course Exeggcutor/Vileplume... but i'm sure there's plenty of others!

I will play

Exeggcutor/Vileplume/Ariados (For fun and i like lock decks)

Toad/Jynx/Archeops(ditto)

Pyroar/Archeops(ditto)

Raichu/Bats ( One my favourite decks)

LandoBats (ditto)

Durat (fun)

Last edited:
Eggs/Vileplume/Ninetales-- complete Trainer lock (ha Hex Maniac don't work no more)

Virizion/Genesect

Mega Manectric/Garbodor

Durant

Anything with Safeguard, N, Computer Search and other Ace Specs

Also... STANDARD DECKS

If it works well in testing, Pyroar/Archeops. You have basically no way to be damaged, and if you tech in Keldeo then Laserbank can't damage you.

I'm thinking of a deck weavile/lopunny/eggecute its really fun to play, and or I might run metal rayquaza. Right now i'm running rayquaza/shaymin I was thinking of switching but since keldo was rotation (without expanded) I was going to stick to Rayquaza/Shaymin but hey who knows.

I'm thinking of a deck weavile/lopunny/eggecute its really fun to play, and or I might run metal rayquaza. Right now i'm running rayquaza/shaymin I was thinking of switching but since keldo was rotation (without expanded) I was going to stick to Rayquaza/Shaymin but hey who knows.
I used to run the Weavile, Exeggcute, Lopunny deck when it was standard legal, it really struggles against mega Pokemon though. It is most certainly the most fun I have had with a deck
I am trying to build Pyroar/Archeops, it is slow but once Anciet Origins drops, I think I have a solid decklist for it, although I will want to test with it first

I'll let you think about that for a minute... ;)

If you're implying Virbank is rotating, we're talking Expanded here.

Also, Ariados's ability doesn't affect Grass types. If you're attacking with Exeggutor, you're not poisoning yourself.

I knew I shouldn't have posted early in the morning... I was implying that you couldn't play hypnotoxic laser because of item lock - which he doesn't even mention, haha. Forget I said anything!!

Slapping copies of Super Rod back into my deck and irritating everyone locally who was looking forward to my deck rotating out.

Something with heavy Wobbu to counter Shiftry/Vileplume/Shaymin/other ability shenanigans T1

for the laughs quad heatmor because wynaut. I mean with executor deck heatmor does stand a chance and item lock decks it does ok

Last edited:
I've heard that Some cards suck as Exeguttor and Lugia EX (PLS) Will be banned in Exp. I might be wrong.

I want to run EcoToad/Musharna since i'm used to that kind of rapid speed, but other decks such as Trevgor sound overpowered in next season's rotation.

I have seen two different "ban lists" now.

They're all lies. Unless it's on Pokemon.com or confirmed by a TO there is no ban list

Back