[Smogon OU] Les Révolutionnaires

Professor Palutena

The Queen
w4QGaPV.png

300px-Prise_de_la_Bastille.jpg

fRg3JJS.png

Hello everyone. It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? My last RMT, Fortissimus Unus, was posted way back in January 2013. I’ve come and I’ve gone a lot since then, and Pokemon itself has changed a lot since then as well. We’ve been given a new set of games, X and Y, to work with, and we’re still in the developing stages of what can be called a metagame. I’ve been using this team for around two months, and it’s a bit of an adaptation of what I built Pre-Bank as well. So needless to say, this team and I have a lot of history together. While I haven’t particularly enjoyed the X/Y games as video games, this new metagame is unbelievably enjoyable and laddering has become a great way to spend my free time (and a bit more).

Before I get any further, I’ll tell you that anyone expecting some anti-meta team is going to be disappointed. This is a fairly standard OU team. I just liked the sound of my title. However, half of the team members currently reside in either BL or UU, which may make you feel better. : P Given that X and Y take place in an idealized France, I figured it made sense to make the team French themed, while also fitting in my love of History. Thus, this is a team themed on the French Revolution.

J34KkYc.png

127-m.png
I love Mega Pinsir. It’s easily one of the best setup sweepers, if not the best one, in the metagame right now. Aerilate is a fantastic offensive ability, as the Flying-type is one of the best offensive types in Pokemon. It also makes up for the lack of a Life Orb that Mega Pinsir can’t hold. While it isn’t as strong as the golden arrows Mega Medicham and Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir makes up for it with a solid base speed stat of 105, outspeeding the very populated base 100 speed tier. The fearsome power of Mega Pinsir leaves it with very few counters: Skarmory, Zapdos and Rotom-W as well as the rare Bronzong and Rotom-H.

127-m.png
646-b.png
Those guys that counter Mega Pinsir? They all happen to get beat by this guy. While Kyurem-B’s legitimacy in OU is controversial (it’s a Pokemon with a BST of 700 and it can hold an item), there’s no denying that it’s a fearsome attacker. As with Mega Pinsir, Kyurem-B boasts only few a handful of counters: Clefable, Conkeldurr, Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir, and all four of them, excluding Unaware Clefable, lack the ability to stomach blows from Mega Pinsir. It’s a match made in heaven!

127-m.png
646-b.png
380.png
An unfortunate aspect of this core is the Stealth Rock weakness among the two of them. Obviously, this made Defog or Rapid Spin support a must. Defog Latias is a great support partner because it counters several of the top OU Pokemon, such as Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, Thundurus-I and Rotom-W, while also checking Mega Charizard-X, Kyurem-B and Garchomp. Unfortunately, this brought with it a big weakness to Bisharp and Scizor.

127-m.png
646-b.png
380.png
647.png
Keldeo gets a bad rap for the nerf it got in the transition from BW2 to XY (it’s currently residing in UU alongside Latias). The introduction of Fairies, Talonflame and the lack of permanent rain are definitely problems for the pony. But Keldeo’s Hydro Pump is still a strong attack, and it can win games by just pressing Hydro Pump. It’s perhaps the best counter to Bisharp in the game, given that it resists Knock Off, Sucker Punch and Iron Head, while also resisting most of the moves in Scizor’s arsenal. Really though, just click Hydro Pump and watch things die.

127-m.png
646-b.png
380.png
647.png
681.png
Aegislash is one of the best new Pokemon that’s been given to us in X and Y. The ability to simply switch between offense and defense at will is a phenomenal trait that I think some people fail to acknowledge. Is it looking like Talonflame is going to sweep your team? Throw up the King’s Shield and force it to retreat. Need an iron nuke to break down walls? Spam that Shadow Ball. This type of versatility is unheard of in OU until now, and many Pokemon are jealous of the flexibility that Aegislash brings to the table.

127-m.png
646-b.png
380.png
647.png
681.png
645-s.png
For my last spot, I needed something to deal with Mega Mawile as well as provide Stealth Rock support. This left me with two options: Landorus-T and Hippowdon. Landorus-T proved to be the better choice due to Intimidate and Knock Off, which are two decisive advantages for Landorus-T. It also hits harder and is much faster, which allows it to fit perfectly.

Gfk1puZ.png

127-m.png

Bonaparte (Pinsir) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

”The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies”.- Napoleon

Mega Pinsir may only have one viable set, but it’s an incredible set. A Swords Dance set turns its new STAB moves into incredibly powerful moves that few can muster, and it is bulky enough that it can frequently find time to set it up. I went with Frustration due to the ability to screw over Ditto, as people tend to leave Happiness alone. Thus it means that Ditto sweeps happen rarely, due to Ditto’s Frustration being very weak. Quick Attack is priority, which is pretty much essential in today’s offensive metagame. A +2 Quick Attack can easily sweep teams, as it can OHKO Latios without hazard support. Yeah, it’s that good. Earthquake is a better move in the last slot than Close Combat is. While both hit Steel-types, Earthquake edges out due to hitting Mega Mawile and Aegislash for super effective damage. I went with Mold Breaker on the base Pinsir due to it deterring Rotom-W from switching in, which makes setting up easier.

646-b.png

Sieyes (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 200 SAtk / 252 Spd / 56 HP
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

”Gentlemen, we have a master; this young man does everything, can do everything and will do everything” – Emmanuel-Joseph Sieyes

Substitute Kyurem-B is an incredible set that is notoriously tough to counter. Hitting 405 HP, which is enough for 101 HP Substitutes, Kyurem-B can launch its assault while protected. 125/100/90 Defenses are very bulky, and so Kyurem-B is able to set up on many Pokemon, including Mega-Venusaur and Rotom-W. Teravolt is an incredible ability for an offensive Pokemon. You bypass all kinda of defensive abilities, with the important ones being Sturdy, Thick Fat and Levitate. This makes stopping Kyurem-B difficult, as you have to stomach its attacks. Uninvested Fusion Bolt still hits hard, and is capable of breaking Skarmory without a second glance. Ice Beam is main offensive move on the set, and it is a very potent tool in Kyurem-B’s arsenal when it comes to hitting Venusaur and Zapdos. I still wish it got Freeze-Dry though. Earth Power is the last coverage move on the set, and is very useful for nailing Rotom-W and Gengar.

681-b.png

Louis (Aegislash) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Spd / 252 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- King's Shield

”There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself” – Louis XVI

Life Orb Aegislash, otherwise known as the CRUMBLER, is considered to be the best wallbreaker in OU, and for a good reason. It has the strongest Shadow Ball in the game, and Ghost is easily one of the top offensive types in the metagame now. With Shadow Ball, it can 2HKO many of OU’s finest walls, such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Shadow Sneak is a great move to get some chip damage on threats like Charizard and Gengar. Iron Head is my team’s sole way of breaking through Clefable, which is why I run it instead of Sacred Sword. King’s Shield is a very useful move due to triggering the forme change. It’s a very useful move to lower the amount of prediction, and I frequently use it to scout Charizard mega stones.

647-r.png

Robespierre (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]

“Terror is only justice: prompt, severe and inflexible; it is then an emanation of virtue” – Maximillien Robespierre

Choice Specs Keldeo certainly packs a wallop. Water has always been a solid offensive type, and I think Keldeo really showcases that. Very little can handle taking Hydro Pumps, and those that due are beaten by one of the other offensive move, with Secret Sword for Chansey, Icy Wind for Latias and Hidden Power Flying for Venusaur. But really, just click Hydro Pump and win. You’re in a solid speed tier that you have little to worry about outspeeding you, other than Thundurus-I or Latias.

380.png

de Gouges (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

“Whatever the barriers set up against you, it is in your power to overcome them; you only have to want it.” – Olympe de Gouges

It’s terrible how Latias is so ignored in this metagame. She’s a phenomenal Pokemon in OU due to the roles she plays. In this role, I have her playing a supporting Defog user. Dragon Pulse is for STAB, and allows Latias to check Mega Charizard-X and other Dragons that roam around OU. Thunderbolt is my coverage move of choice, as it nails Azumarill, Keldeo and Mega Charizard-Y. I think it’s more valuable to check these Pokemon rather than limit myself with Surf or Psyshock. Defog is great due to removing hazards, which opens up for a big Mega Pinsir sweep. Hippowdon is bulky enough that it doesn’t mind having to set up Stealth Rock multiple times. Roost is recovery that is essential on Latias, as it keeps her in top form.

645-s.png

Voltaire (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.” - Voltaire

When one wants a bulky ground type, one has a lot of choice. Garchomp, Landorus and Hippowdon are all very good ground types who can fill the role. Garchomp wasn’t an option due to being weak to Fairy. I chose Landorus-T over Hippowdon due to a few decisive advantages, namely Intimidate, higher speed, higher Attack and Knock Off. Knock Off is such an important move in the metagame right now, and I advise everyone to try to fit it in their teams somehow. It’s a very easy move to spam, and you’ll remove numerous important items from Choice items to Leftovers to the most important item, Eviolite. Stealth Rock is another very important move as so many top Pokemon, such as the Mega Charizards and Mega Pinsir, are weak to rock. Earthquake is the STAB move of choice due to its reliability, while Stone Edge beats Talonflame and compliments Earthquake for coverage.

j1HPU6b.png
I’ve been playing competitively since Summer 2009 and Shoddy Battle. I can safely say that X/Y has been the most fun metagame that I’ve played in. The lack of an overall power creep makes this a great metagame for a lot of playstyles, and I think we have a very balanced metagame right now (of course, I thought Genesect was okay so you might not agree with me). To the rest of you playing X/Y competitively, I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I am. And if you aren’t playing X/Y competitively, you should give it a try. You might surprise yourself and discover a new hobby.

Pyrv7JZ.png

“Let them eat cake” – Marie Antoinette

Here’s your cake, all you RMT stealers. : P

Code:
Napoleon (Pinsir) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration