Discussion SM4: Greninja techs?

ZephyrFox12

Aspiring Trainer
So while looking through the whole set list this morning I kept thinking about what could help Greninja, as it's the deck im currently trying to build and play irl. Honestly the set seems to be kinda lackluster for me but there's definitely some viable stuff in here like every set, I guess.

•Milotic- This was the card that really had me thinking for Greninja synergy. Coming from Yugioh I know first hand that in a a game where cards can literally benefit from being destroyed, shuffling things back into the deck can be one of the most effective ways to get rid of a card (behind maybe banishing but I digress). Recently I've been testing Tapu Fini in Greninja and honestly it's been pretty good, being able to shuffle a Kiawe'd Ho-Oh or something that has a lot of resources invested into it can give you so much leeway in the early game where setting up is crucial. Fini just tend to fall apart the moment after, it's a 2 prizer that can only hit for 20 after unless you take the time to attach to it turn by turn. I see Milotic as a card that can secure things you're about to kill don't escape. While I understand it dosent take prizes I think in a format of Stage 2s and bulky Basics being able to literally just go shuriken, retreat and shuffle can be so good against decks that hold or swap the same energies between each other. The real negative to this card would be the retreat cost of 2 and it loses a lot of value if Promo Giratina gets dropped on your head but there's always a bunch of odd switching plays (whether it's Guzma or Catcher) that could still make the situation a bit more playable I suppose. Milotic might honestly be better in a deck where you can just spread damage like the Koko promo but in a deck like Geeninja it's not really your main focus as it would serve as your secondary attacker in place of something like Starmie.

•Counter Carcher- This one is pretty obvious to be honest, I think almost every deck either will or attempt to run this card but decks like Greninja can just abuse it so easily. Greninja as an archetype almost always falls behind in prizes and before rotation this let the deck use other cards like Ace Trainer. While counter Catcher won't limit your opponent's hand it does let you use a supporter for that turn such as a Sycamore or N or some someother consistency supporter.

•Mincinno- This one is more of an oddball one and I think it's success is very limited, because your opponent picks the option to either do 80 damage or Junk Hunt it seems like it really dosent hurt them especially in the early game or even the late game if they're set up. The reason it could semi work is that before there was blower Mincinno from fates collie was used as an anti-Garbo toxin tech because it could discard items for one energy. I don't think Cincinno is really that great for the deck but it wouldn't be that bad either, I just think there's better options for the deck.

Sorry for the wall of text, I tried to bullet everything so no one so of have to squint reading it. I didn't do like a full evaluation of the entire set, I kinda just browsed through it while reading them. Anyways let me know what you think cause feed back is always amazing :)

Back