Discussion SM1 vs SM2 vs SM3

killrnite

Aspiring Trainer
If you had to chooses the best expansion would it be Sun and Moon Base set, Guardians Rising or Burning Shadows. For all intents and purposes we will pretend that Tapu Lele GX doesn't exist in GR.

Cheers,

Have at it!!

Last edited:
*intents and purposes.

Anyways, it's still Guardians even not considering Lele. Drampa, Garbodor, Metagross, Ninetales, there are quite a few solid GXes in the set and the only super good GX out of SM base is basically dead due to Garbodor ruining FOGP item lock decks and will be even more dead at rotation since FOGP is going straight from standard legal to banned in expanded. Cards like Field Blower, Rescue Stretcher, and Choice Band became new staples overnight, I challenge you to find a good list that doesn't play them.

Honestly I think Guardians, in terms of how much it changed how the game is played, is probably the most impactful set since BW base. I mean almost immediately after the set released Shaymin fell off into the abyss, even before people were rotation speculating Shaymin lost basically half of its value. That's a strong symbol of how much this set has forced us to rethink how we play.

I think it's guardians, sun moon base, and then shadows. Guardians so many GX mons that are so good and gave us many staples like field blower and arguably stretcher. Sun Moon base had decidueye and kukui and a few others i'm probably forgetting but Guardians Rising definitely changed the game way more than sun moon base did I feel. Shadows just has less GX attackers that you actually fear when playing against but Guzma and Garde stick out to me specifically as one of the better cards in the set. Overall though, I feel Guardians Rising is the best set as of now.

I think guardians rising but sun and moon did have big impact. Deciduous gx had massive impact on meta. I hope burning shadows won't over shadow guardians too much. I like the variety of decks at the moment. So wouldn't want Volcanion or Gardervoir to be be only choices.

Personally i agree that Guardians is best because all the cards are so playable!

Back