+{Sky's Art}+ New Drawing!!! Comment away!!!, By Schuyler (aka Grumpigfarmer.

What do you think?

• Total voters

Grumpigfarmer

Gonna arty like it's my birthday(Cuz it was)
First I cut out the shape on some reclaimed Plywood that we got from a house remodel. Then I painted it white.
SANY0015.jpg

Then I painted in the color and shading, I wanted to make it look like the card art on my card:)
SANY0025.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

Hi everyone! I would like some comments on this drawing I did.
SANY0064.jpg

SANY0060.jpg

Feel free to comment!

RE: +{Sky's Art}+ PlyWood Poliwag Painting, By Schuyler (aka Grumpigfarmer.

Impressive, I respect people that work with wood. Especially reclaimed materials. It's always great when something old can find a new use. It's really cool that you used a Pokemon card for your inspiration too, even if it is Ken Sugimori's art, Pokémon cards are great reference material to use for artwork. Even if you're just figuring out a pose.

The paint looks good as well, did you use acrylic, oils? I like how you can faintly see the brushstroke in the final piece, it gives some nice roundness and form to Poliwag you wouldn't see if those strokes weren't there. The only fault I can really find is that the left eye and nose looks a bit off compared to the actual card art, and the belly circle could open up some. But I think you did a good job translating this into a 3-dimensional piece.

Overall, I give it an 8/10. Thanks for posting your work for us to see!

Wow, magnificent job on the painting. I've got to say that I wasn't expecting the end product to look like that when I viewed the first image. This clearly shows that you have experience in this field.

I would like to say firstly, that your shading on various parts of the piece really impressed me. Because of the shading, the entire piece comes alive and makes the overall quality very dynamic. What I also liked about this piece was that the shading had created emphasis on various areas on the artwork and made the surrounding colors come into unity.

The values of the colors, size of the overall board, harmony of shades, and slight traces of gradients help keep the piece balanced. That is what truly caught my attention.

One thing that I would recommend, however, would be using more color values in the eyes. This will cause more attention to be diverted there and give the entire piece more dynamic characteristics. Also, make sure that the eyes are proportional to one another. There is a slight difference if you look very closely.

Using the Pokemon card as a reference can really be helpful when doing this type of activity for the first time. I hope to see you continue creating more of these beautiful pieces and hopefully more people will try this out!

Great job!

Nice job, Grumpig! I have to give you credit for being able to copy art off of a card. I find copying art to be too tedious for my taste, but if it is something you enjoy, that's awesome! That is such a good skill to have, especially since you were able to copy it with paint, which turned out to look fantastic.

SR mentioned some proportions off on the left eye, and I can see it too. Scaling & proportions is something you have to deal with since your art is usually enlarged onto wood, which is a medium that I am a HUGE fan of, so I'm glad to see a good bit of your art on wood.

The composition is nice. You've matched the colors really well, good job mixing those. The only thing that I would like to see more of is a wider variety of values. It would be nice to see blacker blacks and whiter whites. It might just be the photo that is throwing me off, but I think the tail could be lighter and where the spiral is, the difference between the whites and the black could be more contrasted, after all, the spiral is what draws the eye in on this piece. It should have some stark contrasts to keep it interesting.

Overall, some great Pokemon fan-art, keep it up!

Wow! This is a great wood art with poliwag! It must have took a lot of time and effort, since the paint had to dry. I'd like to see more wood works of pokemon!

Update!

RE: +{Sky's Art}+ Bunnygril! Comment away!!!, By Schuyler (aka Grumpigfarmer.

Bunnygirl's really cute :3 the only thing that's kinda odd to me is the brown design on her forehead...
You seemed to have done a wonderful job on coloring, shading, anatomy, and all those other fun details. Reminds me a bit of Cream from Sonic the Hedgehog.
I'd say the only other thing you could work on is the fact she seems a bit cross-eyed, and the ears..I feel like they're too fat. Make them taller or thinner next time, I'd say.

RE: +{Sky's Art}+ Bunnygril! Comment away!!!, By Schuyler (aka Grumpigfarmer.

New drawing I did!!! Her name is...uhh...I...I don't have a name for her yet! I just come up with these things in my head and doodle them out real fast!!! Then I paint them on gimp and fix any mess-up"s And then I forget to name them!

sncg1.jpg

Feel free to comment!

Back