Skyrocketing Card Prices?

MiLoTCG

Aspiring Trainer
I was trolling around on PokePrices and I found that some cards have just gained a massive price jump.

M Mewtwo EX 160 from BREAKthrough went from $14 to $40.
Shaymin EX (RA) from RS just jumped above $70 from $50.
Hoopa EX FA from Ancient Origins went from about $20 to almost $40. The Shiny M Rayquaza also is that price now. Giratina EX FA from AO is almost $30 from about $10 and the RA version went from $6 to $12

I know Worlds just happened, but I didn't hear any major news about these cards. What's happening?

Shifusansou

Aspiring Trainer
I guess people just predicting the new Meta Decks.
M-Mewtu Y / Garbodor will be a thing
M Ray will come back and Darkrai/Giratina/Garbodor will have a good time aswell, and since Shaymin and Hoopa are major parts of those decks, they rise in price aswell.
But that's just my assumption

Gelato

Aspiring Trainer
The very high prices are likely due to people trying to stock up before the new season. Yes, those cards are very good, but once the buying frenzy subsides a bit, the prices should fall back down to fairly reasonable levels (with the exception of perhaps Shaymin).

Jaymz76

Aspiring Trainer
I assumed also that the jump was due to the cards from that set, when I went looking into product, all Roaring Skies product has skyrocketed. Like the Elite Trainer Box for $80, crazy. Are they not printing Roaring Skies anymore? And should I pick up whatever I can before it climbs higher or wait?

StriatonIsMagic

I'll Never Forget This Day
I assumed also that the jump was due to the cards from that set, when I went looking into product, all Roaring Skies product has skyrocketed. Like the Elite Trainer Box for $80, crazy. Are they not printing Roaring Skies anymore? And should I pick up whatever I can before it climbs higher or wait?
Roaring Skies still exists, but because it's an older set, it's harder to find. I'd wait a little bit and see if the card prices drop any.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Well, Im glad I've got 5 RA Shaymin (and 2 FA). Time to make MONEY!!!!

Anyways, it's probably people predicting what's gonna do well this season, and those selected cards have skyrocketed because of the demand. That's all it is.

StriatonIsMagic

I'll Never Forget This Day
Well, Im glad I've got 5 RA Shaymin (and 2 FA). Time to make MONEY!!!!

Anyways, it's probably people predicting what's gonna do well this season, and those selected cards have skyrocketed because of the demand. That's all it is.
How did you get 7 Shaymin EXs? That's worth about $300!

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
How did you get 7 Shaymin EXs? That's worth about $300!
The Roaring Skies set is what got me back into the TCG. That whole summer was pretty much nonstop collecting of the set, and I ended up collecting quite the collection of card in that set. And Shaymin and Mega Gallade were just everywhere for me.

DandoK

Aspiring Trainer
The Roaring Skies set is what got me back into the TCG. That whole summer was pretty much nonstop collecting of the set, and I ended up collecting quite the collection of card in that set. And Shaymin and Mega Gallade were just everywhere for me.
Remember If you sell on Ebay take 12% both for paypal and Ebay fees then whatever amount for shipping and yes ROS is out of print and is a solid set hence the high price.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Good thing I got my shaymins when they were less than $50-plus... I mean, look at the prices now, according to TCGPlayer:

$80-$100 for one...

^ Mega Mewtwo-EX FA is now $50, and showing no signs of stopping going up in price, w/ RA Mewtwo roughly half of the FA...

^ Hoopa-EX FA's price went over $40 to $42...

^And those prices are for the near mint versions...

^ Not a good sign for those who don't want to settle for a significantly-played card that shows slight signs of wear... Surely, developments like those could scare people into thinking "these are sad signs that tournaments could become a luxury that very few players can afford unless someone does something to lower cost of cards..." Then again, card prices may be getting high, but the prices surely won't rise as much as a game that only millionaires can afford...

^...Or will they???

Time will tell, but in case you don't want to pay too much, I suggest that if you want a popular EX, you may have no choice but to pay for that card now, at the listed price, before such prices rise even further, to the point where you may or may not be able to afford it... :(

Last edited:

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
Shaymin's just getting ridiculous, I'm not spending $70 on a Pokemon card, I guess for the first major tournaments I'll be running Volcanion-EX instead of my favorite deck M Rayquaza-EX, because that's just insane how much people will try and bring up the price to squeeze as much money out as possible and the PTCGC is just idly standing by not reprinting it or giving us a tin promo, bloody ridiculous.

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Didn't Hoopa EX get a reprint?
Yeah most likely people want their full arts instead but I would think the Tin is the better deal. I prefer not playing full arts unless the card is too good to not play like Shaymin.

I also got curious and checked out the Pokecenter site still has Hoopa Tins. Most likely local stores will have them as well.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Yeah most likely people want their full arts instead but I would think the Tin is the better deal. I prefer not playing full arts unless the card is too good to not play like Shaymin.

I also got curious and checked out the Pokecenter site still has Hoopa Tins. Most likely local stores will have them as well.

I also checked the prices of the promo Hoopa EX and they still go for about 10 bucks and thats about the price of the tin I think so even if Shaymin EX did get a tin, its entirely possible that the promo would still be about 50 buck considering they would also make 2 or 3 other tins with it and they would sell out, putting us right were we are now.

Full Art Shaymin EX is almost 100 bucks now. If things keep the way they are now, Shaymin could hit 150 bucks before Evolutions drop.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Shaymin's just getting ridiculous, I'm not spending $70 on a Pokemon card, I guess for the first major tournaments I'll be running Volcanion-EX instead of my favorite deck M Rayquaza-EX, because that's just insane how much people will try and bring up the price to squeeze as much money out as possible and the PTCGC is just idly standing by not reprinting it or giving us a tin promo, bloody ridiculous.

Yeah, TCGs in general tend to have ridiculous prices; I mean card scarcity is engineered - it isn't like Shaymin-EX (ROS) is made from some unobtanium that drives up its price. At the same time I understand the primary market includes the profit margin for those who make (including design!) the game, then various other vendors before many of us get to the final product.

The downside of a Shaymin-EX (ROS) reprint, outside of something like a Battle Arena Deck or as a last minute XY: Black Star Promos card is that it would keep it in the format longer. Printing another alternative or two might be better.

awesomeMSG

Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
What sucks is that right when my bro looses his deck (toad/Tina with MY 3 Shaymins) the price goes up insanely so it's hard to get my hands on them again. At least I still have 2... RIP playing mega ray... :p

RedT

Aspiring Trainer
Ha, the only product I bought from the entire X&Y era (up until yesterday anyway) was 12 Breakthrough boosters in the Celebi XY93 blister, (which I bought only for Celebi) and my three EX pulls from them were both RA and FA M-Mewtwo Y as well as a regular Mewtwo EX, so this'll finance cards I actually want. Good thing I didn't sell them off yet. (Those blisters were 30% off as well :D )
-I also got a holo and a reverse holo Octillery in those

PS: Hopefully versatile Mew-EX makes a splash as well, as the new Super premium collection box with Mew and Mewtwo was the thing I bought yesterday :p