Shoddy Sandstorm (Remade)

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
After lots of thought I've remade my Sandstorm team. It's better now.

Tyranitar M + Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/168 Atk/88 SDef
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Low Kick
-Protect
Necessary for starting the sandstorm and KOing Trick Room inducers who would really mess up my plans.

Garchomp M + BrightPowder/Haban Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Fang/Stone Edge/Substitute
-Protect
Usually accompanies Tyranitar to the field and attempts to get free turns with Sand Veil + BrightPowder. While the nature provides power, the speed drop lets Garchomp fall prey to others of its kind. Togekiss' Tailwind remedies this if it happens to be in battle at the same time. Should I try Double Team on this set?

Rotom + Absorb Bulb (to switch in on Water attacks that would KO the others - this is a rain abuser, after all)
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 168 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk/80 SDef
-Thunder
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder Wave
-Protect
If Tyranitar is struck down by a rain-boosted Water attack (which is highly unlikely), Rotom turns the tide with Thunder and Hydro Pump. Thunder Wave slows things down.

Heatran F + Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP?/252 SAtk/252 Spd
-Heat Wave
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power/Dark Pulse
-Protect
Heatran keeps the team from being walled by physically-oriented Pokemon. While the Life Orb leaves her open to Fighting attacks, it saves Heat Wave from mediocrity and makes up for other attacks' lack of STAB. Earth Power exploits weak points allied Earthquakes miss, but Dark Pulse potentially KOs Trick Room users. Not sure which to use.

Gliscor + Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 208 HP/24 Atk/136 Def/140 Spd
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Tailwind
-Protect
A defensively-oriented partner for Tyranitar in case it's a bad time to use Garchomp. Ice Fang removes dragons that would threaten Garchomp, Earthquake is for STAB, and Rock Slide is a spread move. Tailwind, however, would take some pressure off Togekiss by creating an alternative speed boost.

Togekiss + Razor Fang
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/168 SAtk/80 SDef
-Tailwind
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Charge Beam
-Roost/Protect
Togekiss is meant to fall somewhere between the rolls of attacker and supporter. Tailwind makes up for the team's only decent speed, Air Slash keeps Fighting-types (including Intimidate Hitmontop) from running amok, and Aura Sphere deals major damage and always hits. Charge Beam, while not very powerful, pairs well with serene Grace. Roost wins out over Protect for the moment since the latter does nothing about Sandstorm damage.

Also, I have a possible replacement for Gliscor:
Excadrill + ???
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spd
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor
-Protect
When time is of the essence and there's no threat of rain or Trick Room, Excadrill outruns all threats right out of the gate. The first too moves offer STAB and spread damage and X-Scissor KOs Cresselia & co. While Excadrill fills a similar role to Garchomp, it would replace Gliscor since its speed is unreliable if I'm faced with a rain team - although in that case the Swift Swimmers would probably get me anyway.

Thoughts?

RE: Shoddy Sandstorm

I've also decided to create a Sandstorm team and looking around for some inspiration. Have you given Gliscor any thought over Mandibuzz? It has a x4 weakness to Ice and x2 weakness to water but those threats could be countered with a well built Rotom-W from what I've looked at. For the last 4 EVs on your Garchomp, maybe HP? The base idea of your team is very similar to what I've considered for myself, the difference is I haven't got Excadrill, Madibuzz, Heatran or Ferrothorn in mine or at all for that matter, instead I have Gliscor, Reuniclus (Trick Room & Magic Guard) and Rotom-W (Counter Water & Ice) and a free slot as I decide what else to use, that Excadrill is looking very tempting.

I know it may not be much help but I hope you find something in it that could help you.

Protect is good, it's definitely mandatory on the Pokemon you have it as an option (imo), also, Heatran should have Magma Storm probably over Flamethrower.

Jamesie: I briefly considered Gliscor. I'll have a better look at it, though, and Wash Rotom as well. Thank you!
grant: Yeah, Protect is apparently a VGC requirement (especially when you're running Earthquake!). And that's a second recommendation for Magma Storm... I don't like Magma Storm. I do not simply train one of my Heatran thirty to fifty levels for a move with sucky accuracy (even if that can be fixed). xD Buuut, I'll do it if I have to, I guess. Thanks!

Back