• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Shocking TurboRay

H0GGZ1LLA

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 4 Rayquaza-GX CES 160
* 2 Shuckle LOT 16
* 1 Tapu Bulu LOT 37
* 1 Tapu Bulu PR-SM SM61
* 3 Zeraora-GX LOT 201
* 2 Jirachi TEU 99

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Thunder Mountain {*} LOT 191
* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Volkner UPR 135
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lillie UPR 125
* 3 Acro Bike CES 123
* 2 Switch CES 147

##Energy - 14

* 8 Lightning Energy 4
* 6 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Any suggestions?

I'd include Tapu Koko Prism Star for sure, as that is a great energy accelerator. Not sure I would include Jirachi, it seems like it's not that important to get trainers out here compared to the bench spaces.

Given you're not running escape board, I'm not sure Jirachi is useful in any event - you can't use it and still retreat it. If you're thinking of using Switch for that, I'd just replace it with escape board.

I tried it with escape board and it still wouldn't let me retreat while it was asleep! Even tried it with ZeraoraGX ability and an electric energy!

I tried it with escape board and it still wouldn't let me retreat while it was asleep! Even tried it with ZeraoraGX ability and an electric energy!
Then there's a bug. Escape board definitely works that way (allows Jirachi to retreat when asleep).

Is it possible you had already retreated (into Jirachi) for that turn? That's something a lot of people don't know as it rarely comes up - you can only us the retreat action one time per turn (though you can change through other mechanisms unlimited number of times, such as Switch, Guzma, etc.).

Do Escape Board and ZeraoraGX ability not do the same thing?

No. Zeraora GX makes it so there is no retreat cost (meaning not only that it's free, but that if your opponent tries to add to the retreat cost, it doesn't). Escape Board reduces the retreat cost by 1, and allows retreat when asleep or paralyzed. Normally a Pokémon that is asleep or paralyzed cannot retreat.

No, Zeraora won't let you retreat a sleeping Pokemon. You'll have to run escape boards with the Jirachi engine.

I would drop 1 Zeraora, both Tapu Bulus and run Tapu Koko Prism and Shaymin Prism. Shaymin is a great backup one prize attacker.

I've opted for wishful baton over choice band in my own list to keep energy on the board. I'm using 7/7 grass lightning energy split.

Is it possible you had already retreated (into Jirachi) for that turn? That's something a lot of people don't know as it rarely comes up - you can only us the retreat action one time per turn (though you can change through other mechanisms unlimited number of times, such as Switch, Guzma, etc.).

Yes I knew that I'm talking turn 1 as the starter

No, Zeraora won't let you retreat a sleeping Pokemon. You'll have to run escape boards with the Jirachi engine.

I would drop 1 Zeraora, both Tapu Bulus and run Tapu Koko Prism and Shaymin Prism. Shaymin is a great backup one prize attacker.

I've opted for wishful baton over choice band in my own list to keep energy on the board. I'm using 7/7 grass lightning energy split.

What do the ♢pokemons attacks do? Both Bulus hit for 120 and have been useful in my testing.

And yes I contemplated Batons instead of Bands

What do the ♢pokemons attacks do? Both Bulus hit for 120 and have been useful in my testing.

And yes I contemplated Batons instead of Bands
Tapu Koko is more used to reload energies or get a sudden burst. It has an ability that allows you to attach 1 lightning energy from the discard to 2 different pokemon. It definitely helps hit some numbers or set up early game.

Shaymin has the exact same attack as Rayquaza, not it is for 2 grass energy. It also has free retreat which helps as a pivot.

I think the Bulus are decent techs against some non-gx decks, but in my experience they don't move the needle enough to make those match-ups to a 50-50 chance of winning. I would drop them and add in the prisms to help speed up the deck to more consistently beat the popular Gx and Tag Team heavy decks in the format. With that you just have to hope the non-gx decks can't keep up with Rayquaza's speed.

Koko only works once then you put it in the lost zone correct?
Yes. It's an accelerator - it gets you a couple of energy right then on the board, so you're able to hit (say) 180 turn 2 instead of 120.

Say turn 1 you start with Ray, Ray, 3 energy, Ultra Ball, Cynthia. You start Ray. Turn 1 you ultra ball for Koko <>, put out Ray, do the energy attach ability, attach an energy to benched-Ray, put out Koko, play Cynthia, maybe find another Ray there, put it out. Then turn 2 you attach an energy to the other benched-Ray, use Koko <> ability, which puts two energies (one on the benched Ray one on another, so both have 3 now). Then you somehow switch into one of those, and you're doing 180 damage right away.

I'm starting ZeraoraGX, looking for a shuckles and an UB, UB is normally for Jirachi to bring in Lillie.or Cynthia then turn 2 you have possibility to hit 210 or 240(w/ choice band), so adding in koko would push it to 270 or 300 turn 2!

Zeraora GX is a great turn one/two attack for sure, and if you do start it it's very much a good choice, assuming you have a good way to get 5 energy into your discard. Koko <> is another way to do the same thing - and works even if you go first to have a good turn 2 attack, note (since you can't use Zeraora GX's gx move turn 1 going first) as well as working if you can only get a few energy into the discard. My suspicion is Zeraora GX will do better in those cases where you're going second and start with a lot of discard/search cards plus energy, and in those cases Koko <> will be used to restock after you've lost one of your Rays; but that the ideal Zeraora GX conditions will only happen occasionally. (Otherwise, VikaRay wouldn't be the dominant Ray archetype.)

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 4 Rayquaza-GX CES 160
* 1 Shaymin {*} TEU 10
* 2 Shuckle LOT 16
* 1 Tapu Koko {*} TEU 51
* 3 Zeraora-GX LOT 201
* 2 Jirachi TEU 99

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 1 Thunder Mountain {*} LOT 191
* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Switch CES 147
* 2 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 2 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Volkner UPR 135
* 2 Escape Board UPR 122
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 Acro Bike CES 123

##Energy - 14

* 8 Lightning Energy 4
* 6 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Zeraora GX is a great turn one/two attack for sure, and if you do start it it's very much a good choice, assuming you have a good way to get 5 energy into your discard. Koko <> is another way to do the same thing - and works even if you go first to have a good turn 2 attack, note (since you can't use Zeraora GX's gx move turn 1 going first) as well as working if you can only get a few energy into the discard. My suspicion is Zeraora GX will do better in those cases where you're going second and start with a lot of discard/search cards plus energy, and in those cases Koko <> will be used to restock after you've lost one of your Rays; but that the ideal Zeraora GX conditions will only happen occasionally. (Otherwise, VikaRay wouldn't be the dominant Ray archetype.)

Slot of people i talked to said that form is too clunky and prone to bricking

Back