Discussion Shiny Pokémon

neoshai

Competitive casual O.O
While cleaning up my previous games (x/y and ORAS), putting everything ready for when the pokebank finally receives its update, I noticed that I still have a few shinies that I don't really want.
Personally I don't like shinies. There are a few that look good, like: Mega Gardevoir (not the regular form tho) and Absol. But even with those I still prefer the regular one. I'm a bit disappointed that my first perfectly bred Absol (I think 5IV, not 6) was a shiny. Took me forever so I never tried to breed another one to get a regular one instead. While I do think she looks good in red, I still want that perfect regular one.

I used to trade them for their regular counterpart but for my life pokedex I want all of them to have my gamename as OT. I've been using the same name since the gen 1 games so it kind of pulls that history along with it.

I never really understood the entire thing behind shinies or why people 'freak out' when they encounter them. After B/W, I either defeated them or just ran away. I know that they're rare, really hard to find pokemon but I don't like them. My friend says that their stats are better than regular ones but I'm not sure if that's actually so. I never paid attention to that.

Anyone else in here that doesn't like shinies?

I honestly like shinies, so here are some things about us shiny lovers.

Shinies do NOT have better stats, unless by the off chance I somehow forgot everything about VGC.
We freak out because of the time it takes to get one, and just how they stand out.

And lastly, shinies are just plain cool to me, so if you want, I can take those extra shinies off your hands.

I honestly like shinies, so here are some things about us shiny lovers.

Shinies do NOT have better stats, unless by the off chance I somehow forgot everything about VGC.
We freak out because of the time it takes to get one, and just how they stand out.

And lastly, shinies are just plain cool to me, so if you want, I can take those extra shinies off your hands.

I'll try to breed everything first (so that I at least have the regular counterpart) for my life pokedex. And see what to do with them after that.
The only thing I really like about shinies is the way they pop out of the pokeball in battles. I've always wanted to have those modified intros for when a pokemon gets thrown into battle, like how they have in contests in the series.
One of the things I wish they kept in the games: contests

I love shinies. For most of them, I don't really compare how they look, but Generation 6's and 7's shinies are in my opinion the best shinies Pokemon has ever made. I think back to generation 2, when the first shinies they made had seemingly random colors, and they weren't very attractive. However these shinies have brought me a love of shinies I never really had until X and Y:

X and Y

-Slurpuff
-Hawlucha
-Aurorus
-Greninja
-Trevenant
-Sylveon
-Dedenne

Sun and Moon

-Lurantis
-Mareanie (not so much Toxapex)
-Alolan Ninetales
-Alolan Sandslash
-Shiinotic
-Palossand
-Mimikyu

-Minior
-Togedemaru
-Bewear

I adore the concept of shinies, and I love how they're very rare, and you have to really be trying to get one (well, sometimes you get super lucky :p).

My friend says that their stats are better than regular ones but I'm not sure if that's actually so.
This is only partially true. In G/S/C (Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal), Shinies were only found with set IVs, meaning that Shiny Pokémon could only have a few possible sets of IVs. I don't think they were necessarily better, either, but my memory is off on that.

Anyways, I'm generally a fan of Shinies, but there are some that I don't like, because their colour combination is either too similar to the original, or has a horrible shade (although that's all up to personal interpretation). My least favourites are Garchomp and Sandile, for those respective reasons. I do like a lot of Shinies though, as I've said, and I always love the feeling of looking at your Pokémon in your PC boxes and seeing that blue Rockruff, or seeing it pop up by random in the wild, for instance.

I love shinies. For most of them, I don't really compare how they look, but Generation 6's and 7's shinies are in my opinion the best shinies Pokemon has ever made. I think back to generation 2, when the first shinies they made had seemingly random colors, and they weren't very attractive. However these shinies have brought me a love of shinies I never really had until X and Y:

X and Y

-Slurpuff
-Hawlucha
-Aurorus
-Greninja
-Trevenant
-Sylveon
-Dedenne

Sun and Moon

-Lurantis
-Mareanie (not so much Toxapex)
-Alolan Ninetales
-Alolan Sandslash
-Shiinotic
-Palossand
-Mimikyu

-Minior
-Togedemaru
-Bewear

I adore the concept of shinies, and I love how they're very rare, and you have to really be trying to get one (well, sometimes you get super lucky :p).

Checked out almost every shiny you mentioned and I can't say that I like them to much.
I got a number of shinies in X/Y because I was given a shiny 6IV jp Ditto from some random japanese guy online. I'm about 99% sure it's a hacked one but since it got through the trade online there's still this small chance it's actually legit.
With that I started getting shinies quite often. But still not a lot of luck when it came to IV's :/

This is only partially true. In G/S/C (Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal), Shinies were only found with set IVs, meaning that Shiny Pokémon could only have a few possible sets of IVs. I don't think they were necessarily better, either, but my memory is off on that.

Anyways, I'm generally a fan of Shinies, but there are some that I don't like, because their colour combination is either too similar to the original, or has a horrible shade (although that's all up to personal interpretation). My least favourites are Garchomp and Sandile, for those respective reasons. I do like a lot of Shinies though, as I've said, and I always love the feeling of looking at your Pokémon in your PC boxes and seeing that blue Rockruff, or seeing it pop up by random in the wild, for instance.

That's kind of the reason why I don't like them to much. Because of the colors. Imo, most of them just look better in their original color and rather odd or worse in shiny (with a few exceptions of course).
There's one that I kind of hate for different reasons tho ...Shiny mega Gardevoir. I hate her shiny form because I actually like it but I need a shiny Gardevoir to get to the Mega shiny Gardevoir which I don't really like. In other words, Shiny Mega Gardevoir is A-okay, regular Shiny Gardevoir is not.

Checked out almost every shiny you mentioned and I can't say that I like them to much.
I got a number of shinies in X/Y because I was given a shiny 6IV jp Ditto from some random japanese guy online. I'm about 99% sure it's a hacked one but since it got through the trade online there's still this small chance it's actually legit.
With that I started getting shinies quite often. But still not a lot of luck when it came to IV's :/
Yeah I've got 2 of those things. One from Sun and Moon Wondertrade, and one in ORAS waiting to be sent through Pokebank. Anyways, I guess I just like shinies because of how rare they are (save for Gyarados) and the feeling of finding one (especially in Sun and Moon) after hours of chaining is a good feeling.

About the Ditto, was it holding a Destiny Knot? If not that would explain why IVs weren't great. I also receommend taking the best egg from maybe 10 eggs, replacing it with the Pokémon you're breeding for that's in the daycare. Assuming it has better IVs then the parent, then the chances of you getting a 5 or 6IV Pokémon increase substantiall as you keep doing his until you reach something about 3IV from breeding. From there just keep hatching until you get the optimal Pokémon you've been breeding for. I've bred a 6IV Mimikyu and a 6IV Grimer, both Adamant, on the same day of each other this way (neither one shiny). 5IVs are common as well, no matter which one isn't perfect as well.

Yeah I've got 2 of those things. One from Sun and Moon Wondertrade, and one in ORAS waiting to be sent through Pokebank. Anyways, I guess I just like shinies because of how rare they are (save for Gyarados) and the feeling of finding one (especially in Sun and Moon) after hours of chaining is a good feeling.

About the Ditto, was it holding a Destiny Knot? If not that would explain why IVs weren't great. I also receommend taking the best egg from maybe 10 eggs, replacing it with the Pokémon you're breeding for that's in the daycare. Assuming it has better IVs then the parent, then the chances of you getting a 5 or 6IV Pokémon increase substantiall as you keep doing his until you reach something about 3IV from breeding. From there just keep hatching until you get the optimal Pokémon you've been breeding for. I've bred a 6IV Mimikyu and a 6IV Grimer, both Adamant, on the same day of each other this way (neither one shiny). 5IVs are common as well, no matter which one isn't perfect as well.

At first I didn't really know how to breed because before X/Y I didn't know about IV/EV's. I'm also not a competitive person so I didn't really care about OP pokemons. What got me interested was my favorite pokemon. I wanted them to be the best they could be. So I asked a 'friend' and he kind of explained to me how it all worked. So I did eventually use a destiny knot and some other things that I can't remember. Tbh after X/Y I stopped breeding because I did all the pokemon that I wanted to do. So until you just mentioned it, I completely forgot about destiny knot and what not.

What was it again, destiny knot for IV's and some stone for nature, no? I should probably check it out but there aren't any pokemon that I'd want to do from the new gen. Mimikyu is a maybe and magearna isn't possible to breed. Magearna is so far the only one that really interests me, Mimikyu is somewhat in between, all the others aren't really my thing, from what I've seen so far.

PS: when is pokebank coming? It said january but we're already half way and I'm not really patient XD

Back