• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Setup Issues (Arcanine / Zoroark / Houndoom EX) #hellhounds

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone,

I've been working on this deck for a bit and have been experiencing some great results. I've already beat a handful of metas (more wins than losses against them in aggregate) but really have some trouble in the early game. I got wiped out in turn two from a Darkrai EX / Giratina EX deck due to an aweful opening hand on my end and an AMAZING opening setup by my opponent. My matches against the metas usually run down to the wire where it can be a 2-1 prize for the win on either side - this makes for some really exciting battles for me. This is my first deck build after getting into the game about a month ago, so whether or not you think this is actually "competitive" would be welcome feedback. I like the challenge! Anyways, setup for me can either be great or a crap-shoot. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

##Pokémon (16)
* 4 Growlithe EVO 17
* 3 Arcanine EVO 18
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Octillery BKT 33
* 2 Zorua BKT 89
* 2 Zoroark BKT 91
* 2 Houndoom EX BKT 153

##Trainer (12)
* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 3 N
* 2 Lysandre
* 2 Giovanni's Scheme
* 1 Brock's Grit

##Tool (6)
* 2 Bursting Balloon
* 2 Float Stone
* 2 Exp Share

##Item (14)
* 3 VS Seeker
* 4 Max Elixer
* 2 Ultra Ball
* 2 Level Ball
* 1 Super Rod
* 2 Switch

##Energy (12)
* 12 Basic Fire Energy

Known Considerations
- Primary Attacker: Aracanine
- Utility & Secondary Attacker: Zoroark (stand-in + float stone make b2b Arcanine attacks possible)
- Disruption & Energy Acceleration & Tank: Houndoom EX
- Giovanni's Scheme is a game winner. This is the reason I can OHKO 170 hp 'mons
- Bursting balloon for protection if no float stone on Zoroark for Arcanine between attacks
- Brock's Grit has saved my hide a few times late in the game when I'm at risk of decking out or need resources
- Exp share on Octillery to preserve energy so I can effectively use Arcanine's ability when he's ready.
- Shaymin - I've thought about it but I don't have one. I just bought a BKP booster box so I have codes to trade if you think it is necessary.

Biggest Problems
- Greninja... b/c Greninja. Also Water > Fire

I apologize for the length but this deck and community get me excited. I really enjoy the game and like everyone, I'm "trying to be the very best..." I can take criticism so rip it apart if you think it needs it. I can't get better unless my faults are brought to light. Thanks in advance!

IMO, when you start to build a deck around a strategy and "core" Pokemon to support that strategy, then the focus should then be placed upon getting the right Pokemon into play as fast as possible on a "consistent" (i.e., 80%+ of the time - my standard) basis. Afterwards, tech cards can be added.

So, if I were to apply my principle to your deck, then cards like: Bursting Balloon, Exp Share and Switch would have lower priority vs. more Level and Ultra Balls.

Secondly, your Arcanines require RRRC energy cost to attack; so some type of energy-attachment acceleration (EAA) would be quite helpful, as well. In this case, you have Houndoom whose 2nd attack provides some EAA, but that attack costs RR - which is "slow" and Houndoom EX is a 2-prize target. However, 'Doom's 1st attack can be helpful at times too, I would imagine.

You currently have 9 slots devoted to card-draw Supporters, as well as a 2-1 Octillery line. In most cases, having that many card-draw Supporters would not need supplemental support from Octillery and vice versa. Thus, you have a few options to utilize some overlapping cards.

Why no Stadiums, like Scorching Earth?

Following are some suggested changes for your consideration:

-2 Houndoom EX - can be replaced by a more efficient EEA Pokemon, and in doing so, eliminates a 2-prize target
-1 Octillery - overlaps existing card-draw Supporters (plus, a minimum 2-2 line provides greater consistency)
-2 Remoraid
-2 Bursting Balloon - "low" priority
-2 Exp Share - "low" priority
-1 Max Elixir - 3 should be sufficient
-2 Switch - overlaps Zoroark+Float Stone

+3 Volcanion - preferred starter that can provide EAA onto 2 of your benched Pokemon
+1 Judge / N / Prof. Birch / Shauna - more card-draw support
+1 Level Ball - more Pokemon search capability
+1 Professor's Letter - to search and get R energy from deck
+3 Scorched Earth - card-draw support that also dumps R energy which can be retrieved and attached via Volcanion
+2 Ultra Ball - more Pokemon search capability
+1 VS Seeker - should be maxed-out for best flexibility

I hope you find these comments helpful.

IMO, when you start to build a deck around a strategy and "core" Pokemon to support that strategy, then the focus should then be placed upon getting the right Pokemon into play as fast as possible on a "consistent" (i.e., 80%+ of the time - my standard) basis. Afterwards, tech cards can be added.

So, if I were to apply my principle to your deck, then cards like: Bursting Balloon, Exp Share and Switch would have lower priority vs. more Level and Ultra Balls.

Secondly, your Arcanines require RRRC energy cost to attack; so some type of energy-attachment acceleration (EAA) would be quite helpful, as well. In this case, you have Houndoom whose 2nd attack provides some EAA, but that attack costs RR - which is "slow" and Houndoom EX is a 2-prize target. However, 'Doom's 1st attack can be helpful at times too, I would imagine.

You currently have 9 slots devoted to card-draw Supporters, as well as a 2-1 Octillery line. In most cases, having that many card-draw Supporters would not need supplemental support from Octillery and vice versa. Thus, you have a few options to utilize some overlapping cards.

Why no Stadiums, like Scorching Earth?

Following are some suggested changes for your consideration:

-2 Houndoom EX - can be replaced by a more efficient EEA Pokemon, and in doing so, eliminates a 2-prize target
-1 Octillery - overlaps existing card-draw Supporters (plus, a minimum 2-2 line provides greater consistency)
-2 Remoraid
-2 Bursting Balloon - "low" priority
-2 Exp Share - "low" priority
-1 Max Elixir - 3 should be sufficient
-2 Switch - overlaps Zoroark+Float Stone

+3 Volcanion - preferred starter that can provide EAA onto 2 of your benched Pokemon
+1 Judge / N / Prof. Birch / Shauna - more card-draw support
+1 Level Ball - more Pokemon search capability
+1 Professor's Letter - to search and get R energy from deck
+3 Scorched Earth - card-draw support that also dumps R energy which can be retrieved and attached via Volcanion
+2 Ultra Ball - more Pokemon search capability
+1 VS Seeker - should be maxed-out for best flexibility

I hope you find these comments helpful.
Thanks for the feedback! I used to run Scorched Earth but for some reason, I stopped (possibly because of the "slow" EEA from Houndoom = less than favorable results). I cut it so I could make room for an extra Gio and Exp Shares. I'll try adding it back in to see how it does. Arcanine's Burning Road ability requires me to play him on the bench and switch him into play to gather energy from the other pokemon. I like to store energy on everyone else to keep him from being Lysandred off before I get to switch. I inevitably end up losing at least one Arcanine every game so I've been using the exp share to keep half of the energy in play for another Arcanine. I see your point with the Volcanion though - I'd instantly get the same energy back if I used him. I will definitely try this out.

I used to run Prof Letter as well but I found that it was conflicting with the Max Elixers. I guess if I had it in combination with the Scorched Earth, I could use Volcanion to attach it to the bench.

With regards to the 3 VS Seekers - I only have 3 so that's what I use. I could try trading for an extra one.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
Back