September's XY8 Set

Anything that makes evolution cards (particularly attackers rather than support for big basics) easier to get out is very, very welcome.

Giant plant forest, wally, delta evolution, ... are all helpfull cards/ mechanics to boost stage 1 and 2 pokemon, so im really excited what else they have up their sleeve to help evolutions :)

Looks interesting to me! I'm going to be wondering for the next few months how they are going to top the epicness of the bandit ring set. Shiny primals and megas? Still hyped for those leaks/previews. It looks like the XY Era of TCG is going to be very long- maybe it can be one of the first generations to be as long as ex series? I sure hope so.

I was hoping for a Broken Time Space reprint but my dreams got shattered when the Grass Stadium came out.

It's interesting that we have even some inkling of the next Japanese set when we haven't even gotten everything from the Bandit Ring set and its associated Emboar EX/Togetic EX deck and the Legendary mini set. Of course it's left vague so we have no clue what it means and if it will even be useful.

I think this set will have a lot of skipping from basic to stage 2. i hope there's an Alakazam in this set. it would be perfect, no need to have Kadabra.

How great would it be, if it was somewhat similar to legend cards? However, upon evolution, it splits into multiple Pokemon. Or perhaps, "Break Evolution" is going to be a screwy trainer, that lets you play a
Stage 2/Stage 1/ Mega straight down. Like this:
TRAINER Item
Break Evolution
You may place any evolution card from your hand onto your bench. Place 2 damage counters on that Pokemon.

(The "Place 2 damage counters on that Pokemon" part is to ensure the card isn't so busted)

Ooooh, interesting. I'm really hoping this is a new mechanic of some kind, since I kind of feel like EXes have been around forever now and I'd like to see a switch. If it's a switch to a move evolution-based game, then all the better! :D Of course, I hope that FAs will stick around no matter what mechanic/card changes might be happening, though...

Well the first three sets of BW proved we can have full arts without having EX's. Though as far as I see it EX's will always be around. It's become a basic integral part of the card game since they linked mega evolution to it. And since right now I think the game will be sticking with mega evolution beyond generation 6...

Well I believe EX are the greatest thing ever for the tcg. It makes the game easy to play and give us great artworks. But if there were some changes that led to 2010 format I would be fine. Also I'm a bit BORED of the whole EX drama. What's the problem of it? Mega Evolution is already AN EVOLUTION. We DON'T HAVE OP BASICS anymore just GOOD AND BALANCED Megas. Yes! Balanced. The only broken card is seismitoad and NOTHING ELSE. Want to hear something broken? Starting your game with item lock! That's something broken. (Wally trevenant) or turn 1 blockade with the new stadium in expanded. That's broken! EXs are fine and I can't understand people saying "whoo" EX are stupid because I can't play my deck with plasma espeon. The game is EX = Attack & Support (90% of time) Basics or Stage 1-2 = SUPPORT (9%) and Attack (1%) and there is absolutely nothing broken with that.

If the game wants Slow decks with evolutions there and there... OK no prob.

Break Evolution might be "SP" pokemon or LV.X pokemon which where fine. But with giving us more evolution cards the deck is getting thinner on every other kind of card :/

Though as far as I see it EX's will always be around. It's become a basic integral part of the card game since they linked mega evolution to it. And since right now I think the game will be sticking with mega evolution beyond generation 6...

They could very easily do Mega Evolution with a different mechanic if they chose to, just like they've done different mechanics with regular evolution throughout the years. It could be done with a similar mechanic to the old Lv. Xs, or something entirely new. Just because Mega Evolution has only been in an EX-based format so far doesn't mean it will always be that way forever.

For the record, I don't have any specific problem with EXes from a gameplay perspective; hell, I hardly even play at all these days. I just like seeing innovation and different types of card mechanics and the new, fun things they bring to the TCG.

For the record, I don't have any specific problem with EXes from a gameplay perspective; hell, I hardly even play at all these days. I just like seeing innovation and different types of card mechanics and the new, fun things they bring to the TCG.

no no no! I was referring to you. I was referring to some people in the Ptcgoforums, who are beginners, can't find EXs and play with crappy stage 2 pokemon and have started a trend "EXs are Bad" :p

Also the company ALWAYS brings a new mechanic with the release of new games... so that pretty much confirms them... :p Correct me if i'm wrong

There's been a topic already on megas without EX's. I for one think the Lv. X mechanic would be a great idea for it...they just have to rotate out the current way of doing megas then.

Of course, if this new evolution thing that is supposed to be in XY8 is that good then maybe mega evolution could be handled as a special form of regular evolution.

maybe we'll be getting a lot more evolution card support. Wally and GPF are good starts so far, but we could get more cards with attacks and/ or abilities or stadiums that prevent all damage from attacks from basic Pokemon, like Pyroar, or Mewtwo lv. X in the D/P/PL sets. or go one step further and say if the Pokemon is not an evolved Pokemon, it can't attack, or use it's abilities and/ or ancient traits.

it could mean the decline of Pokemon EX cards, or just another experiment to make the game seem fairer, since EX cards have been dominant for a long time.

You will get to evolve a pokemon during your opponents turn.

Last edited:
I think a card that completely shut down all Basics with no difficulty (Pyroar at least was a stage 2 and not bulky at all, and only did damage negation) is far too format breaking. You're essentially deciding that you want to play a game that isn't Pokemon TCG anymore.
If there really was a single card, which seemed really game braking it should or must have some huge draw back, or take quite a bit of effort to pull off. Weather it being putting damage on your side of the board, or allowing your opponent to take a prize.
An example, while not relating to Pokemon at all, was a card (Or cards) in the Yu-gi-oh card game called "Exodia" where one must have all 5 different card parts in your hand in order to play those cards, to win the game.
The closed Pokemon got to something like this was the Legend cards in the Heart gold and soul silver sets, where you had to have the 2 parts of the card to play it down from your hand. When I completed Suicune/entei legend I was so happy.

A complete lock down however does seem really stupid however. But still... The expanded Format has Pyroar, Archeops.
Get Pyroar on the field first then get Archeops into play (this is really easy now with Maxies hidden ball trick) and you can say GG to your opponent... Until they use a Lysandre, and the strategy falls apart.

Break evolution huh, do you get 10000 power and a skill when a pokemon of the same type evolves on it?

The evo-break could be on specific cards, or it could be a new universal mechanic. If it's a universal mechanic, there should already be hints in the evo pokemon we have. Like Dimensional Valley/Strong Energy and such cards, I'm sure they knew they were going to release the card eventually and make sure the cards don't get too powerful for too long with the future buffs.

Will this evo-break still let cards like Maxie/Archie/Wally be playable in their own right or will it outclass them?

Back