News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Ah come on almost every other pokemon excluding the really tiny ones are getting HP boost but Primeape is stuck on 90? Should be at least 110 or 120HP.

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
I'm fine with stage 1 Pokemon remaining as 90HP, it makes them accessible via Level Ball. However, this Primape needs to step up its game though - either via an ability or better attacks

ZMonsBRUH

Darkrai
an attack like this should at least cost a dce, for such a negative effect for 2 fighting energies, the artwork is good though

croagunk crew

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, the only baby pokemon we've seen printed since the gen 4 sets are Togepi and Riolu, although their evolutions weren't previously basic pokemon (I am aware Lucario was in Japan, but it was never a basic in English), so printing those are necessary.

Wait, when was Lucario, other than as an owner's Pokemon, been printed as a basic in Japan?

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
An interesting attack purely because I certainly can't think of any that previously increase your opponent's attack the following turn...

Is there ever a time you'd want to do that? I doubt it.
In the real thing, there are a lot of attacks that lower your own stats after use. Close Combat lowers your Defence and Special Defence by one stage each.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
In the real thing, there are a lot of attacks that lower your own stats after use. Close Combat lowers your Defence and Special Defence by one stage each.
But, Close Combat does a lot of damage; even OHKOing at times.

This does 90. Which OHKOs... Primeape.
Honestly, there isn't a lot 90 damage will knock out.

Unless we're sticking with the game reference, and it's a Choice Banded Primeape...!
Nice 120, for an attack that takes 2 turns to set-up, and can be revenge killed by most basic Pokemon...!

I just want a good Primeape card.
It's my favorite fighting type mon, but it's cards are never playable.

JonnyO2

Aspiring Trainer
But with weakness this OHKO's many pokemon EX and GX who often have right around 180HP. Wouldn't be a bad option in that case... and a Fighting Fury Belt or Dumbbells could keep it in play. (I'm not trying to say it's an amazing card though, just that it could have its uses.)

(And thinking about it some more - with Choice Band against Weakness, now you're hitting for 240 - really not bad at all if you can KO and the opponent brings up something that can't attack that turn.)

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
If I were to use a stage 1 Fighting type, I'd definitely rather go for Crabominable from BUS. 140 HP, 80 for one energy, and the recoil is easily nullified.

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
But with weakness this OHKO's many pokemon EX and GX who often have right around 180HP. Wouldn't be a bad option in that case... and a Fighting Fury Belt or Dumbbells could keep it in play. (I'm not trying to say it's an amazing card though, just that it could have its uses.)

(And thinking about it some more - with Choice Band against Weakness, now you're hitting for 240 - really not bad at all if you can KO and the opponent brings up something that can't attack that turn.)

The problem isn't the damage, it's what the attack requires.
2 attachments, evolution, tool card.

This is not something you can consistently set-up every turn... which quickly becomes a problem, since this card will be revenge killed by nearly anything in the meta.

Even Tapu Lele with just a DCE will knock it out, due to the +30 side effect.

Also, Drampa is run with Garbodor.
This card is weak to Psychic, and Garbodor costs 1 energy to set-up.
Another popular Psychic type, Espeon-GX, OHKOs this with the side effect... again, for 1 energy.

The risk vs reward is heavily imbalanced on this card.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Ugh people the damage increase for your opponent is just a downside of a the rather low energy and high damage attack similar to recoil or energy discard it isn't supposed to be useful in any way

Scoop

Literally a sheep
These clay cards always give me Pikmin vibes honestly, and I really do like that. Especially this one with the plants in the background.