Contest September 2019 CaC: Bug Pokémon! (All Results Up!)

Pone

Delta Species is best species
Things have been really chaotic for me for the last month or so, but I think I should be able to enter this month, so count me in for image.

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
My entry:

Pheromosa&Ninjask Tag Team GX[
Pheromosa&Ninjask Tag Team GX
Basic Pokémon
[G] Type
200 HP

Ability: Scampering Draw:
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand. At the end of your turn, draw or discard cards until you have 3 cards in your hand.

[.] Ultra Jolt
You can only use this attack if you have no other Ultra Beasts in play. Return this card and all cards attached to it to your hand. Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Poisoned.

[G]+ Silver Wind GX 60+
For the rest of this game, draw an extra card from the top of your deck at the beginning of your turn. For each additional [G] energy attached to this Pokémon, flip 2 coins. For each heads, this attack does 10 damage for each card in your hand to one of your opponent’s Pokémon. For each tails, place a trainer card from your hand into the Lost Zone. If you cannot place a card into the Lost Zone, put 5 damage counters on 1 of your Pokémon.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]]

[
References:
Dedenne GX (UNB)
Shaymin EX (ROS)
Hugh BCR
Pheromosa & Buzzwole TTGX (UNB)
Latios GX (UNM)
Giratina LST
Dewgong UNB
]

[Similar to Silver Wind’s randomness in the video games, the GX attack has the potential to swing a match (in either direction :D). Ultra Jolt is similar to Sky Return from Shaymin EX and allows the player to remove the TTGX from the board if need be, and helps limit the stacking potential of the card, as it is unable to be used with other Pheromosa&Ninjask TTGX. The lower HP is to balance the insane draw power this card provides (including the extra card a turn from the GX).]

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
giphy.gif

Just over a week remaining to submit your entries! Don't get left behind - try not to leave it to the last minute ;)

ThePigThatCriedRii

Aspiring Trainer
My entry here. (Scolipede actually has no [G] type cards)

Scolipede GX - [G] Pokemon - 260 HP
Stage 2 - Evolves from Whirlipede

Ability: Speed Boost
This Pokemon's retreat cost is decreased by [C] for each Energy attached to this Pokemon.

[G][C] Ramming Speed 250-
This attack does 70 damage less for each [C] in Scolipede GX's retreat cost.

[C] Speed King's Call GX
Look at the top 8 cards of your deck. You may reveal as many Pokemon and Energy cards you find there. Put all Pokemon revealed this way onto your Bench and attach all Energy cards revealed this way onto your Pokemon in any way you like. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C][C]

Last edited:

Nyan

She/They
Scizor_GX.png
Yes, it is.
So yea, I've recently finished the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime and I've become obsessed with the series as a whole. As a result, it's had me feeling inspired in multiple ways, this being one of them. The poses, the visual style, it's all in here somewhat. As for the card itself, I really wanted a distinct effect that wasn't like anything else we've had, and I think I made something interesting. The issue with multi-attacks is that having any type of damage boost scales very quickly, and I didn't want that. What I did want, however, was for it to have the potential to KO multiple Pokemon in a single turn and/or KO 1 and attack another. I can't thank @The Ωmega One enough for the render he made for me and how fantastic it came out. After a little bit of stretching and warping, the pose I was able to make with it exceeded even my visions for the card, which I rarely do. Adding the filters & visual effects was the icing on the cake, though.

Wording References:
- Omega Barrage for the multi attacks
- Leafeon-GX: For each of your Benched X, search your deck for a Y and put it onto that Pokémon to evolve it. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)
- Sawk BUS 72: This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Resistance or any other effects... {I felt like it was important to specify tools because of damage boosters like choice band.}

Wording Discrepancy: Omega Barrage, the most recent example of a multi attack I know, words as follows: This Pokémon may attack twice a turn. (If the first attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.)
This phrasing simply can't work for a Pokemon that can attack more than twice, so I've rearranged it a bit. I believe this is as good as I could possibly do.

chico

Aspiring Trainer
What a way to start the competition, @Nyan ^^;

Question: Is the CaC symbol the same as the previous contest? I was under the impression the symbol changed every contest (or perhaps every year?)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Question: Is the CaC symbol the same as the previous contest? I was under the impression the symbol changed every contest (or perhaps every year?)
Yep, it's the same symbol every round. Possibly you're thinking of the one from the 2015-and-previous contests; when we brought the CaC back after a hiatus in 2017, we held a symbol design contest, and we've used the same one since then. :)

chico

Aspiring Trainer
That's a nice history lesson :D

Here's my humble card then:
Kricketune

FLAVOUR TEXT: It is said that Kricketot and Kricketune inspired the first musical instruments known to mankind.

[G] Delele Swoop: 30+. If this Pokémon was on the Bench and became your Active Pokémon this turn, this attack does 60 more damage. Before doing damage, move a Pokémon Tool card attached to the Defending Pokémon to another of your opponent’s Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokémon Tool attached to it.

[G][C] Shattering Screech. Flip a coin for each Pokémon Tool card attached to all Pokémon. For each heads, discard the top card of your opponent’s deck.
  • I wanted to give some love to the less popular or likeable 'mon this time around. Kricketune has a really weird design but it's become a meme so I decided to go for it.
  • The pose and the coin flipping is a throwback to this beautifully illustrated Scyther card.
  • Tried to make a 3D scene in Unreal/Unity but it's so complicated in comparison with Clip Studio Paint. I thought it was more "plug-n-play" but turns out you have to make everything from scratch? So I ended up using CSP instead. In any case, I learned a bit more about handling 3D models.
  • I painted over the modified 3D mesh because it was pixelated in some parts and the lighting was a bit strange.
  • This card is a non-Owner's Pokémon so I had to adapt the set's template a bit. Also made the null retreat cost graphic.
  • Instead of placing the attack cost at the beginning of the line. I just didn't like so much space between the cost and the attack's name. The attack orbs are like billiard balls now and the attacks seem more centered.
  • As for the attacks text, I think it's a better idea to grab wordings from any era as long as it is shorter than to circumscribe to a specific era. We can all agree more space for more attacks is always a good thing.
  • I struggled a bit with the numbers of attacks. I wanted to give it 3 but I had to settle down for 2 with a somewhat complex effect. I also don't want to get too close to the WRRC section of the card.
Delele Swoop:
Yanmega
Hydreigon
Mr. Mime

Shattering Screech:
Doublade
Conkeldurr
Bisharp

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
We're unable to see that card, chico; seems to be something up with the viewing permissions. Should be fixable without editing the post; lmk if it isn't and we'll work it out. :)

chico

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm, that's odd @Jabberwock. It has the same permissions as my last card. Everyone should be able to view it :/

EDIT: I tried in incognito and the image indeed has an issue. Might be Chrome though, it's been acting a bit funky lately. But I'll try to fix it.

EDIT2: Apparently I used the wrong link lmao I changed the permissions so it should be fixed now.

Last edited:

The Last Shaymin

Floof
ok here is my cool card:

[G] - Basic - Illumise GX - HP 170

Ability: Aroma Beacon
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Volbeat and put it onto your bench. If you do, your [G] Pokémon do 20 more damage this turn (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Then, shuffle your deck.

[G] [C] Light show - 10+
This attack does 30 more damage for each Volbeat on your bench.

[G] Dancing Duo GX
Put all Volbeat in your discard pile onto your Bench. For each Pokémon put onto your Bench in this way, put 5 damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [R] 2x
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

idk its kind of boring but for reference here is the other cool card:
[G] - Basic - Volbeat - HP 70

Ability: Dance in the Night
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may put a card in your hand in the Lost Zone. If you do, shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

[G] Tail Glow - 10+
You may return a [G] Energy from this Pokémon to your hand. If you do, this attack does 20 more damage.

Weakness: [R] 2x
Resistance:

It emits light from its tail to communicate. It loves the sweet aroma given off by Illumise.

So the idea of these cards revolves around them revolving around each other. Got it? Good, because I don't.

it can be a one prize deck or 2 prize deck. I think i might have made it too overpowered, but idk whatever

at least it doesnt ohko reshizard or pikarom? volbeat hits for 110 max damage, so its kind of balanced. you need to bronks though so it's fair. also putting 4 cards in the lost zone every turn is kind of rough.

wow I missed a lot of stuff. take an edit from me.

references:
Lost blender
Zoroark GX
Greninja
Espeon deyoxys GX

Last edited:

Pone

Delta Species is best species
I guess I better post this. I've been out of my mind the last couple of months after having moved and now looking for work, so I've had a hard time focusing on my card for this month, but this is what I've come up with. As always, it's balanced for HGSS as it is an Omnium card.

If you're crazy about the blanks, I've made a thread for them over here. They do require Photoshop.

CaC_03_-_Anorith.png

Anorith – Fighting/Grass – HP80
Restored - Evolves from Claw Fossil
This Pokémon is both [F][G] type.

Ability: Thrive in Entropy
Whenever your Active Pokémon discards a basic [G] Energy for its Retreat Cost, you may attach 1 of those Energy cards to this Pokémon instead of discarding it.

[G][C] Claw Anomaly 20+
If there is more [G] Energy attached to this Pokémon than basic [G] Energy cards in your discard pile, this attack does 20 more damage.

Weakness: Water +20
#347 Old Shrimp Pokémon HT: 2’ 4” WT: 27.6 lbs.
Ultra Sun: When restored Anorith are released into the ocean, they don't thrive, because the water composition has changed since their era.

Illus. Steffenka - ©2019 Pokémon/CardPone - CaC 03

There isn't too much to say about the card this time around. Obviously you can see that I've combined elements of the dual typing from both the EX era and the Steam Siege era, mainly because, without the white box around the attack text they had in the EX era, making a dual-type card with Darkness as one its types makes it really hard to read with the clouds effect. Splitting the background this way makes it consistent and readable for all types. If you're wondering, the Bisharp Effect (where the text is both black and white) is present with a Darkness dual type Pokémon. I rather like the effect, but the sentiment certainly isn't universal among the faking community.

As last time, and with all future cards I make with the Omnium Template, the following is true:
  • The wording is SM or the latest syntax of a specific effect if no such effect exists in the SM era.
  • The layout for the attack area is based off of the classic/Neo era. Following that, "Ability" is written in the same red text as the ability name.
  • All Omnium cards are meant to be balanced for the 2010-2011 Standard Rotation, or slightly more broadly any set from Diamond & Pearl base set to Noble Victories.
  • Fonts and placements should be pixel-perfect as they were made using my templates, which places all the fonts exactly where they should be.
  • Restored Pokémon in Omnium are treated the same as regular Stage 1 Fossil Pokémon from blocks like Base Set and Sun & Moon. They are Stage 1 Pokémon in all but name and still evolve into Stage 2 Pokémon.
I had thought about using a few different bug types for this entry, with Yanmega narrowly missing out. I knew from the beginning I wanted to use a type that hasn't been represented by that Pokémon yet, so when I found out that Anorith, one of my favorite fossil Pokémon, has yet to appear in the core TCG as a Grass type, I knew I had to go with him. Originally he was going to be just Grass type, but I just can't pass up an opportunity to make a card with two types. It's a mechanic that is simply underused in the TCG. I did make sure to focus heavily on the Bug typing with the attack and Ability, though. The Rock typing comes in mainly for (obviously) the type on the card and for the Water weakness.

The idea for an ability to trigger upon a certain kind of energy being discarded while retreating was an idea that was mentioned in the Discord server some time ago. I can't remember exactly who brought it up or even the original idea, but I really liked that idea for an Ability trigger, so I worked out a way that it would work on a bug type and used it for this.

The attack, on the other hand, I came up with on the spot while thinking of how I wanted to approach the card. I see this card as an early-ish game attacker with a built-in way to keep its attack relevant, even if it may end up meaning stacking energy on it that doesn't necessarily do anything else but keep that energy out of the discard pile. I imagine that 1) whatever Armaldo card I make for this will have a four-[G] Energy attack that does something fancy and 2) it can also be used in tandem with some energy mover in the form of an Ability or Trainer card to make it so you can recycle energy that would otherwise be spent retreating.

As for the Water weakness, that's a sort of umbrella for all "Rock" Fighting types in Omnium. Rocks sink in water, etc. I reserve the Grass weakness for "Ground" Fighting types as I think that makes more sense. Moreover, for Anorith specifically, his type combination actually neutralizes both his Grass and Flying weakness ("Bug" Grass types are normally weak to Flying in Omnium), so Water really is the most logical weakness in my opinion. I find it slightly bothersome that every official Anorith card is weak to Grass.

Another kind of trivial thing I wanted to mention was that, since I see CaC cards as more of "promos", I've opted to leave off the rarity. The presence of rarity on my entry for July is just going to be a case of early installment weirdness because honestly I didn't think of it (and it does feel kinda weird for a LEGEND card to not have a gold star on it).

General:
  • Anorith LA 46 (80 HP / 1 retreat cost / Attack damage. Originally I was going to leave it as 30+20, but I ended up going with 20+20 since it is much easier to control than a standard coin flip.)
Thrive in Entropy:
  • Toxapex SUM 63 ("Whenever your opponent's Active Pokémon...")
  • Dashing Pouch CIN 92 ("...discards Energy for its Retreat Cost...")
  • Lanturn CES 50 (Honestly, I don't remember. Like I said, it's been a hectic month, but it's in my notes, so I'll put it here.)
Claw Anomaly:
  • Frankly I didn't know what to reference for this kind of wording. I thought maybe Lucario FCO 63 might be something to use, but ultimately I didn't find it particularly helpful. I don't think any effect like this has appeared in the card game, so I winged it. I hope it's still all correct. :p

• The Anorith artwork is a custom piece made just for this card by @steffenka, because he rocks.
  • Everything else, save for the fonts and the Create-a-Card symbol, are by me.
Special thanks to the PTCG Faking Community Discord Server and friends from my Pokémon League for all the input they provided as I made this card!

Hopefully I didn't drop the ball too hard on this one. If I could have focused enough to devote more time to the contest this month, I would have. The real MVP for this was definitely @steffenka, though. I was super close to asking to be moved to the text-based fakes section since I couldn't do the art myself and anyone who had art I think suited the card hasn't been active on their sites for 8 million years, but Steff jumped in with this fantastic artwork in exchange for helping him with some of his fakes and completely saved this contest for me. So thanks much, Steffenka! You're a hero!

I wish everyone the best of luck in this contest!

Thanks so much to the judges and PokéBeach for making this possible! I'll be looking forward to the next one!

Gabs Kazumi

Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
Hi guys!

This time I left my entry to the last minute hoping my computer would be back to work, but it's still broken and I couldn't make and image-based entry. So I guess I'll be sticking with text-based again T-T

Please consider my card for the EX-series! It's my first time attempting a card from another era, so I'm very excited about the judging!

Volcarona - Fire/Water - HP80
Delta Species
Evolves from Larvesta

(This Pokémon is both [R][W] type)

Poké-Power - Frozen Monarch
Once during your turn, you may choose an Energy card attached to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. That Energy provides [W] Energy instead until the end of your opponent's next turn. This power can't be used if Volcarona is affected by a Special Condition.

[R][W][C] Frostflare Dance 40
You may attach a [R] and a [W] Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon. If you attach a [R] Energy card this way, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned. If you attach a [W] this way, the Defending Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness: [R]

I went with Volcarona bc it's one of the strongest bugs in the game, and I've always imagined it being an ice-type mon if it was a Delta Species. In my mind, the card would look nice bc of the colors (and bc I like the Delta Species feature in the TCG, it was a nice spin to the game).

Volcarona is meant to be a supporting card (again, my attempt is a supporting card, after the failure of my last card e.e). The attack has a dual cost, but is able to accelerate 2 extra Energy cards in your turn. Also, it has a disrupting-focused Poké-Power - by turning your opponent's Energies into ice, they may not pay their attack costs in a turn. A Volcarona-focused deck could work wonders, because 1: one Volcarona may accelerate the other, as long as you have energy cards in your hand; and 2: each Volcarona may turn 1 of your opponent's energy in ice, "freezing" up to 4 energy cards in a turn!

It could also works in pair with a Salamence ex deck too, speeding up both of its attacks.

In my mind, it's a very versatile card, and I hope you like it!

That's another card I'll try to make a image-based entry when my computer is back :)

Thanks fot he contest, till next time!

Nyora

A Cat
Shedinja HP 30 Psychic
Stage 1 - Evolves from Nincada

/Ability/ ~ Traitor Swarm
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, and the sum of the total HP of your opponent’s Pokémon in the discard pile is equal to 1600 or more, you may use this Ability. If you do, you win this game.

[P] Dead Ring
Reveal the top 3 cards of your opponent’s deck and discard any number of Pokémon you find there. Your opponent shuffles any remaining cards back into their deck. For each Pokémon discarded, your opponent puts 1 damage counter on your Pokémon in any way they like.

Weakness: None
Retreat: 0
I didn’t double check this because I don’t care too and I know if I don’t submit now I won’t later. Balancing Traitor Swarm is difficult as heck.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I forgot about this contest. I am shooting for top 3 at minimum.

lq6zRMM.png

I chose Ribombee for several reasons:

1. Ribombee is nauseatingly cute. This flies directly in the face of the typical bug archetype since most bugs are not cute, or even feminine in appearance. Just look at how cute it is! Aww.
2. All of Ribombee's existing cards are Fairy. I wanted to do a Grass-type card specifically for this contest to reinforce the fact that yes, Ribombee is a bug. I figured a lot of people would be like 'lol I made a Fire-type Volcarona card, but it's still a bug lol!" and I didn't want to do that, which is ironic because that is exactly what I'm doing. With that said, I feel like the Grass-type better evokes that Bug Feeling (TM) than any other type of card, despite the Pokemon depicted on it, so I'm off the hook.
3. All of Ribombee's cards are awful >:[ Ribombee only has 3 cards and all of them are low-HP support mons that never saw any real play. I once again prove I am a master in irony by making a low-HP support mon. The difference is that my card has decent HP and a kick ass Ability that actually warrants its use.
4. c u t e s t

HP: Ninety is sky high for a Ribombee and average for Stage 1s in general. Ribombee isn't exactly the type of Pokemon you want to build around, but I also didn't want it to get sniped out before you could parasite yourself.

Parasitism: Did you know that Ribombee is based on the bee fly? Their larvae are parasitoids of the eggs and larvae of other insects, and that is pretty badass. Because no matter how cute you are on the outside, nothing says disgusting-ass bug like being reminded that its babies survive by leeching off of and eventually killing your babies. Brutal. The Ability itself is very strong, allowing you to swap out the Weakness of any Pokemon your opponent has in play, which will let you follow up with a KO depending on who you are swinging with. To balance it, it costs your a Prize every time you use it; the Ability first discards all cards attached to you in order to prevent Life Dew, Shedinja, or any other cards like it from allowing you to stream Ribombee endlessly. Additionally, it counts as a Tool while attached (like Head Ringer), so you can't use it on anything that already has a Tool attached to it.

Overall I am a huge fan of this Ability. It is stronger in a format with Tool removal, and makes multi-Prize threats a liability since Ribombee is capable of tipping the Prize trade in your favor so easily. In my opinion, it is a much-needed nerf for such cards.

Silver Wind: Nothing special, but it does do enough damage to OHKO Grass-weak one-Prizers, but not Grass-weak two-Prizers. Of course, considering you can just go in with a stronger attacker, this is moot, but that is how I balanced the attack.

Bottom stats: Nothing flashy here. Fire Weakness to remind you again that Ribombee is a bug and not just the cutest little fairy pancake maker in the world, Fighting Resistance because no Resistance is the worst Resistance and I gotta rep that double Resistance, and a Retreat Cost of 1 because 0 is too low and 2 is too high.

I fought with the holo. I got help with it and then decided to use a different background anyway lol. Still looks okayish.

The W/R/RC symbols are centered. Nothing hanging out of my corners this time. Enjoy.