• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Sceptile-EX / Ariados

6osh

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (13)
  • 4 Sceptile-EX
  • 2 Spinarak
  • 2 Ariados
  • 1 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Jirachi-EX
  • 1 Virizion-EX
  • 1 Jirachi (promo)
  • 1 Bunnelby
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (37)
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 AZ
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Weakness Policy
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Professor's Letter
Energy (10)
  • 10 Grass Energy
Strategy:

I want to run this in the Virginia regionals. What can I do to improve it?

Last edited:
For awhile now, I've been running a Sceptile-Manectric deck which has proven to be very solid; and most likely, I also will run this deck at the Midwest Regional tournament. Let's hope Sceptile EX will be the "right play" for our respective tournaments.

After carefully reviewing your deck list, I offer the following thoughts/comments for your consideration. IMO:

Lugia EX does not seem to fit "well" in this deck since F decks are not a major concern for Sceptile EX, nor can you power it up easily in 1 turn with your current list (No DCEs included)

I suspect many players will run Virbank City Gym in order to again take advantage of Virbank City Gym. So, I believe you can reduce your VCG Stadium count by 1 and fill that card slot with another Stadium, like Parallel City (I found this Stadium to be very helpful in some matchups and game situations)

Although Acro Bike helps you "thin-out" your deck, I have not found it to be more critical than another key Tool, Supporter (AZ) or a 4th VS Seeker.

Given the relatively low Retreat cost of your Pokémon, I think 2 Switch seem "excessive."

Given the above comments/thoughts, I'd suggest the following deck changes:

-1 Lugia EX
-1 Virbank City Gym
-2 Acro Bike
-1 Switch

+1 Bunnelby (PRC 121) - there are a variety of mill decks that, I believe, will be popular at Regionals; so, this Pokémon is a great counter, as well as being a good starter and retriever of your discarded resources
+1 AZ - allows you to recover and reuse your Pokémon (e.g., Shaymin EX)
+2 Level Ball - helps to get your Spinarak and/or Jirachi EX our faster without discarding cards
+1 Parallel City

I hope you find these comments helpful and good luck at your upcoming Regional.

For awhile now, I've been running a Sceptile-Manectric deck which has proven to be very solid; and most likely, I also will run this deck at the Midwest Regional tournament. Let's hope Sceptile EX will be the "right play" for our respective tournaments.

After carefully reviewing your deck list, I offer the following thoughts/comments for your consideration. IMO:

Lugia EX does not seem to fit "well" in this deck since F decks are not a major concern for Sceptile EX, nor can you power it up easily in 1 turn with your current list (No DCEs included)

I suspect many players will run Virbank City Gym in order to again take advantage of Virbank City Gym. So, I believe you can reduce your VCG Stadium count by 1 and fill that card slot with another Stadium, like Parallel City (I found this Stadium to be very helpful in some matchups and game situations)

Although Acro Bike helps you "thin-out" your deck, I have not found it to be more critical than another key Tool, Supporter (AZ) or a 4th VS Seeker.

Given the relatively low Retreat cost of your Pokémon, I think 2 Switch seem "excessive."

Given the above comments/thoughts, I'd suggest the following deck changes:

-1 Lugia EX
-1 Virbank City Gym
-2 Acro Bike
-1 Switch

+1 Bunnelby (PRC 121) - there are a variety of mill decks that, I believe, will be popular at Regionals; so, this Pokémon is a great counter, as well as being a good starter and retriever of your discarded resources
+1 AZ - allows you to recover and reuse your Pokémon (e.g., Shaymin EX)
+2 Level Ball - helps to get your Spinarak and/or Jirachi EX our faster without discarding cards
+1 Parallel City

I hope you find these comments helpful and good luck at your upcoming Regional.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I don't know why I'm running Lugia. I really like having 2 switches though. When I run two I don't feel as guilty about discarding one early due to sycamore. This deck is just very inconsistent so I included acro bikes but I guess I can do without them. Maybe add another trainers mail too? Thanks for the suggestions!

Back