Discussion Salazzle GX: Bad Card or Not It's Time.

ginganinja9294

Aspiring Trainer
Is Salazzle GX completely outclassed by Volcanion EX? I like the card but I have a feeling it's not even worth testing until Volcanion rotates. Any thoughts or a list on how to play it now?

Yes it completely outclassed by Volcanion. I don't have a list, but all of its attacks aren't really much good, it doesn't really have much synergy with much other cards, and it's not a basic, meaning Volcanion can't power it up. These reasons are really why its rarely brought up because it really just isn't any good. I think in the far future it might see play but for now I think it's not really worth testing. Hope I helped! :D

I feel like a 1-1 line could work in Volcanion. Being able to swing for 230 (if you're using Choice Band) with two prizes left for two energy isn't bad at all. I mean, yeah, you could just Steam Up twice and use Bright Flame, but still.

Yeah it's a 1-1 line. Like one youtuber says, Salazzle won't be useful until you have 3 prize cards left, but it might be all you need to take all of three of those prize cards.

It's basically also just waiting for a good Salandit in my opinion. If we had a Salandit (for example) with Beacon ala Alolan Vulpix I'd be a whole lot more excited for Salazzle GX. The fact of the matter is that it's still very fast but Kaiwe basically allows otherwise slower pokemon to be faster as it and not have a significant disadvantage in HP either.

There are basically a few GX Pokemon who are working with clunky evolution lines where others are not. As to why this design was chosen I don't know (yet) but it is what it is. Unfortunatly the Promo Salandit is actually worse as that in Guardians Rising...

I have a Salazzle GX deck in expanded, and I would argue that it isn't nearly as bad as some other GXs in the set.

Salazzle GX can heal completely with Max Potion and then recover all that energy with Blacksmith, or I can use Scramble Switch to set up a new Salazzle GX and either use Max Potion or Acerola on the benched Pokemon. For any deck that can't OHKO a 200HP Pokemon (or 240HP with Bodybuilding Dumbbells), they need to wait until I run out of Max Potion or Acerola. By then, I would have taken enough prizes to start taking OHKOs of my own with Diabolical Claws. Queen's Haze GX completely undoes Kiawe and sets any energy-reliant deck back a lot. Sure it doesn't have support in Standard, but I would argue that this card is better than Golisopod GX in Expanded.

Why are you comparing it to a completely unrelated card? Volc is a main attacker main focus kind of deal (well I guess now it's more like Turt support, but whatever). Salazzle is almost a tech late game attacker. Swinging for 150 or 200 off two energy is nothing to joke about. I could see it do well in a fire toolbox type deck.

Back