Salamence EX (PK)

prenceofdarkness

NeoGenesisRevo
Well I was posting this giant post and suddently I accidently hit ctrl A and typed something and it was all gone... I tried ctrl Z but it sucked so oh well....

Okay Salamence is a great card with 160hp and it's double resistance. Right now I have 3 of them. My line is 3-2-3. I tried running salamence with alteria EX. It was working great for a while, until people started using crystal shard to knock either of them out in 1 hit basically. I moved on to typhlosion, and he seems to be working better for me. As of right now I'm averaging salamence ex out by turn 5. This sucks because freaking turn 2or3 empoleons are eating me alive with the stupid 40s everywhere. I tried using dugtrio from CG but it seems to hinder me in the speed department.

I NEED HELP :) Here is my line:
3-2-3 Salamence
3-2-3 Typlosion

For trainers I don't use anything special just 4 TV reporters 4 rare candy 4 bebe's 2 mentors and 2 scotts. I have about 16 Fire energies, and some more standard stuff like warp points.

My biggest problem right now is crystal shard. I tried countering this with delta blastoids from crystal guardians or what ever and it just slows my deck down. Is that anything else that can save me from crystal shard? Also turn 5 is to slow.

So can anyone give me a suggestion?

Yknow the true problem of Salamence Ex?
Previous format, his 150-power shots would OHKO anything, just like they do now. The problem? No Holon Engine slows him down, fast decks kill him before he sets up and if he sets up, he still might KO anything but...
Last format, odds were that each KO netted him 2 prizes. This format, with Pokemon-Ex played a lot less, he won't be able to do that anymore. He might KO 2 pokes before he is KO'd, but those 2 tend to be set up a lot faster. In the long run, Salamence loses out.

Still, what I'd play now would be kinda like...
4 Casty
4 Bagon
3 Shelgon
2/3 Salamence Ex PK
1/2 Salamence Ex DF (Preference, mine is 1)
1 Squirtle/1 Diglett
1 Blastoise/1 Dugtrio
2 Swablu
2 Altaria Ex
4 Candy, 4 Mentor. Muchos Mentor are Muchos Importante. Counter energy problems by playing Mr. Stone, also helps relieving those 5 cards discards each turn. Also play Prof Rowan.

But face it, Salamence will stay slow. Powerful, yes, but slow.

I use that salamence in my HydroFlameDragon deck. With it, I use a regualr salamence and the df sally ex with it, along with suicune ex and moltres ex. It owns.

Basically what McCloud said. He almost always was guaranteed a two prize kill. Now the attack is a bit pricy for format unless you are running Altaria. Still, discarding 5 cards each time you kill something is kind of pricy in itself. By the time you have taken 3 prizes, plus 3 turns of draw and possible extra draw from supporters/powers, you've already taken 18 cards from your deck. Considering how long it might have took to get that far for using other trainers, you might have already gone through half of your deck. In this new format, going through that much is not good.

He's fine as a a tech to guarantee that last prize kill, but if you're gonna run Mence, you probably should run Mence D. I ran Altariamence for fun and I noticed it just can't hold up in format against certain decks.

Let me add up to that.
It's no coincidence that last format it was able to murder decks like Flygon. However, Metanite would almost beat it due to lack of speed. The only way a Salamence based deck can take an early prize disadvantage is if they can KO 2 pokes faster as the opponent can KO 1. Which it could last format if there were exes involved. Now, however, with a lot hitting for consistant 80 or above that ISN'T ex, he ain't cutting it.

Thanks for all the input guys! However, i already know how slow salamence is, and almost all of it's flaws. I'm sure i'm not the only salamence player out there. This thread is aimed at aiding the Salamence EX lovers out there. See i never got 2 use salamence EX in the previous formate due to the fact that i was under 18 and could really get a job anywhere. Now on the other hand with money not being such a problem, I went and bought Salamence PK EX. I also don't want to spend to much more money on getting a completely new set up. I just want to fix this one up as much as possible.

All I'm saying is lets stick to the pros, and maybe figure out ways to dump the cons.

@McCloud
I really like your set up. It's almost exactly like mine. I tried:
1 Squirtle/1 Diglett
1 Blastoise/1 Dugtrio
But alot of the time their only crystal shard out with castaway long before blastiose appears on the scene. That's why I'm trying to speed up. I was also thinking about going just salamence and blastoids. See since salamence comes out turn 5 on average, I realized that extra boost and firestarter aren't helping out anyway. They only help getting out a second salamence. Also if they 1 hit my 1st salamence 98% of the time I end up losing.

So here is what i was thinking of doing... dropping alteria EX all together and going with:

3-2-3 salamence (maybe 4-3-4 but probably not, since I never need the 3rd)
3-2-3 blastoids (wont really be used, only for it's body to stop crystal shard)
2-2 Dugtrio (anti-empoleon)
If i run say 4 mr stones, I can be set up in 5 turns like usual. I was thing 4 mentors and 4 elms as well. Instead of rowan I'll go with TGW. And of course 4 RC
20pkmn and the rest energies.

Bulbasaur... I dont really need all those salamences. Thing is I never get out a 3rd one so that is the reason I have 3-2-3. The DF one would need water energies. He's cool and all but I don't know...

Maybe I'll go with ferrow as well.
2-2 ferrow(d)
2-2 Alteria(d)
4bagon(d) + 3shelgon(d) + 3 salamence(PK) + 1 salamence(d)
2-2 dugtrio
2-1-2 blastoids(d)
28PKMN

4 Professor Elms
4 Rare Candy
2 Mr Stones
2 Holon Mentor
2 TGW
2 windstorm
16 Trainers

12 fire energies
4 Castforms

What do you guys think? I will probably drop the salamence(d) since i just don't like him

Know that if you play the d, you have one heck of a nice secondary strategy.
Snping for a consistant 40 and hitting the active for 40 is no joke. If you're also able to (with aid of Altaria) consistantly hit the bench for 30 using his Hydro Wave attack, you have some massive sniping going on. Works wonders against anything that relies on a setup.

The deck you suggest wont work. Too bulky, too big. Playing Salamence is taking choices.
From what I saw, it usually is:
4 Casty
11 Salamence cards (BagonShelgon included)
4 Altaria cards (Swablu included)
That's 19 already. Casty does double as energy, but still. I'd say you got room for up to 4/5 techs here. You really need to take priorities here. You could opt for 2-1-2 Nidoqueen line, but that adds to the bulk that is this deck.
I know a guy who played 3-3 Altaria Ex. Seemed to work rather well, but having no techs to combat specific threats did him no favors in the end.

Anyway, playing 3 Sally PK and 1 DF works. I would squeeze in some more Water energy in that case though, specially since you play Delta Bagon and you dont want them powerless. Remember that secondary sniping strategy.
Oh yeah, play 4 Salamence for consistancy. If you got some prized, you'll be glad for having more. More chance of drawing them is no bad thing either.

I am of the belief that Mence D is far superior since he can pick off benched pokemon if he really has to. I dont like the possibility of just losing 5 cards, and it runs decently with Altaria, so if you HAVE to attack with Alt, you can instead of getting stuck.

When I ran Mence, I ran a 2-2 Altaria line and a tech of Mantyke/Mantine with a Blastoise D line to get rid of weakness and retreat cost. That way you can run if it gets too hairy.

The thing about Sally ex d is that there is still a ton of delta supporting stuff even without the holon engine. Fearow d to search them out. Pinsir d or Holon Lake to set them up. Flygon d to power them up. I think that you could have a reasonable & consistant Sally ex d deck.

A Sally ex deck is harder. My suggestion would be to take advantage of all that delta support and use the delta basics and stage 1s. Use some of that other stuff I mentoned for consistancy. Instead of Dugtrio use Cloyster d. He's far better at protecting a delta bench. Don't evolve to Sally ex until you have a Bagon d or Shell d active, then just evolve or RC them. Use Altria ex d for energy acceration. Play 4 Windstorm.

vanderbilt_grad said:
The thing about Sally ex d is that there is still a ton of delta supporting stuff even without the holon engine. Fearow d to search them out. Pinsir d or Holon Lake to set them up. Flygon d to power them up. I think that you could have a reasonable & consistant Sally ex d deck.

A Sally ex deck is harder. My suggestion would be to take advantage of all that delta support and use the delta basics and stage 1s. Use some of that other stuff I mentoned for consistancy. Instead of Dugtrio use Cloyster d. He's far better at protecting a delta bench. Don't evolve to Sally ex until you have a Bagon d or Shell d active, then just evolve or RC them. Use Altria ex d for energy acceration. Play 4 Windstorm.

Well said. I think it will be popular when Garchomp Lv.X comes out, but that's just me.

Back