Ruling Ruling regarding Sceptile (GE), Leafeon Lv, X, and Venusaur (Crystal Guardians)

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
This is a ruling I need to try to get across as when I tried to play the combo out tonight, it involves Sceptile (Great Encounters), Venusaur (EX Crystal Guardians) and/or Leafeon Lv. X (Majestic Dawn).

Basically it was believed that with Sceptile on your Bench using Wild Growth it doubles all the Grass Energies attached to all your Grass Pokemon you have Venusaur as your Active and his Green Blast attack does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each Grass Energy attached to all of your Pokemon.

So would Venusaur's Green Blast attack do 20 damage plus 10 x 2 damage for each Grass Energy attached to all your Pokemon since Sceptile doubles all Grass Energies attached to all your Grass Pokemon with Wild Growth?

I was gonna say the same for Leafeon Lv. X whose Verdant Dance supposedly does 30 damage plus 10 x 2 damage for each Energy attached? Again the keyword with this ruling is attached so the Grass being doubled from Sceptile isn't really attached to your Pokemon cause Leafeon's Verdant Dance and Venusaur's Green Blast counts for each individual Energy attached to your Pokemon regardless that it's doubled.

So If you had Leafeon Lv. X out with 6 Grass Energies attached to all your in play Pokemon (Active and Bench total) with Sceptile's Wild Growth Poke-Body kicked then Leafeon's Verdant Dance attack would only do 90 damage total instead of 150 damage total am I right?

Another Pokemon that applies to this ruling though I didn't mention much about it is Tangrowth (Great Encounters), his Power Whip attack does 10 damage for each basic Energy card attached to Tangrowth to that Pokemon.

Attached again is the keyword and even though Sceptile doubles all Grass Energies it doesn't double the amount of damage Tangrowth does with Power Whip, same with Venusaur's Green Blast attack and Leafeon Lv. X's Verdant Dance attack as well.

So what's the verdict?

you are right on all of those. the card says right on it that it does X+all grass enrgy in play and then sceptile says each grass is now 2... so yes, it would make it do 150 instead of 90 and so-on, tangrowth is a different matter. on the card it wouldn't boost damage as it says for each energy CARD and sceptile doesn't make each energy 2 energy cards, they just provide two energy. but there was a ruling made so that tangrowth DOES work with sceptile. hope this clears it up for u!
~Eleki

This is what BJJ763 said at PokeGym.net:

BJJ763 said:
If it does not state "card" it will count twice and do 2 X 10. The Compendium already covers this:

Q. How does the Tangrowth errata affect "Power Whip" with Sceptile's "Wild Growth" in play?
A. Tangrowth does 10 damage for each Energy from basic Energy cards – 1 basic Grass Energy card provides 2 Energy, so it would do 20 total damage. (Feb 28, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

I just wanted to make sure whether If Venusaur and Leafeon Lv. X do with work Sceptile or not, I'm not too concerned with Tangrowth cause I don't run him in my grass deck.

Yeah, Sceptile works with Leafeon and Venusaur, as well as Tangrowth.

Before this gets confusing, it should be noted that Tangrowth has an errata associated with it, which is what allows it to work with Wild Growth (the card as printed does not):

Tangrowth's "Power Whip" attack should say, "This attack does 10 damage for each Energy from basic Energy cards attached to Tangrowth to that Pokemon." (Feb 28, 2008 Pokemon Organized Play News)

When something refers to counting "Energy", you count units of Energy. One card can provide multiple units, such as Double Rainbow, Scramble, or basic Grass under the influence of Wild Growth. So in Tangrowth's case with Wild Growth, 4 basic Grass Energy cards are providing a total of 8 Energy, so the attack does 80 damage.

When something counts "Energy cards", you count cards. Cards like the above mentioned, even though they provide multiple units of Energy, are still just one card. So if you take something like a Charizard that says "discard 2 Fire Energy cards", you can discard a Double Rainbow, but that's still just one card, so you need to discard one more.

Back