Ruling Rules Questions (new player)

nwdm1537

Aspiring Trainer
Daughter started playing a couple of months ago... Started playing to do something with her and surprisingly find myself having more fun than expected. City championships are coming up in a couple of weeks and have a few questions that are pretty basic, but will hopefully keep us from looking completely ignorant should we decide to enter... so here goes.

Q1: Cards refer to "damage counters", like with a pokemon being poisoned. I'm assuming a single damage counter refers to 10 points? Double 20, etc... Please confirm.

Q2: Can you use or place any item/supporter card to benched pokemon? Or do they need to specifically state it can be used on a benched pokemon?

Q3: Your website refers to the standard ruling for playable cards at tournaments.. the Pokémon website talks about expanded formats that are allowable for tournament play. I've contacted a tournament representative, but am having trouble getting a response... Do most tournaments use this expanded format? Or should I plan to be restricted to the standard? I'm hoping to hear back from them, but on the off chance that I don't I'd like to be as prepared as I can be for the most likely scenario.

Q4: Most people use 60 card decks... but have played matches with players in our casual league that have larger/smaller decks. I'm assuming at tournaments you'll need to have a 60 card deck, no exception. Correct?

Q5: Can I have my cards in protector sleeves at a tournament? Or do they need to be naked so they can be inspected, both front and back?

Q6: Pokemons and trainers you can only have 4 of each card... energy cards you can have more than that. I've been told special energy cards you can only have 4 of each; is this correct? Does this include plasma energy and colorless/double colorless energy cards... can I also only have 4 of those?

Q7: Are there age limits for championship tournament play?

Any response is appreciated. And we'd also welcome any tips for tournament play. Thank you, very much!

-J&S

RE: Rules question (new player)

Q1: Correct. Just take into consideration that "Placing Damage Counters" isn't the same as "Doing Damage".
Q2: I think that the question is worded a bit weird, but: as long as it says "1 of your Pokemon", Items/Supporters can affect any of your Pokemon in play.
Q3: Most common is Standard. Expanded is mostly used for Regional's Day 2.
Q4: Correct. 60 cards, no more, no less.
Q5: Sleeves are highly recommended, to avoid cards getting damaged.
Q6: Correct. You can only have up to 4 of each Special Energy.
Q7: Not at all!

Hope I could help! :D

RE: Rules question (new player)

Q7 - just to clarify, there are no limits, but there are usually age-based divisions, based on the year the player was born.

Back