Rotom Pokedex - What do you think of it?

98Greener

tree noises
So, surprised there's isn't much discussion on this guy.
if there is, mods pls delete
thank you

It's exactly what is says on the tin: A Rotom has infiltrated your Pokedex. There isn't anything saying that you can battle with it, but it will help you with your journey. Professor Kukui gives it to you, and it's stated that a not a lot of other trainers have this kind of Pokedex. Sure, it'll give you info when you catch a Pokemon and whatnot, but it also shows your current location, shows where you need to go next, AND gives you all sorts of advice. Oh, and it talks.

officialr-dex.jpg

What do you guys this of this lil' dude? Anything else you think it can do?

Last edited:
Here's to hoping our little RotomDex won't be too Navi-esque. I'm looking forward to a Pokedex that may kind of be a little bit like Dexter from the anime :)

It would be neat if it ACTUALLY had a voice and read off poke'dex entries. Likely though, the major contributions from your Rotom not mentioned will be to alert you if trainers call for a rematch, navi-esque reminders, newflash alerts (for hordes or streetpasses), or a tool for plot convenience like "Hey [Trainer]! I'm picking up some odd activity coming from that power plant! Why don't we investigate it?" or "Oh no [Trainer]! You're trapped! Plug me in and I'll access the computer systems to let you out!". Like a personal poke'mon R2.

I'm really excited to see what this new pokedex will be like. I'm hoping it will help guide you on your journey without limiting you too much, still allowing for some free player exploration. Having it talk will be very interesting! Completely new!

Here's to hoping our little RotomDex won't be too Navi-esque. I'm looking forward to a Pokedex that may kind of be a little bit like Dexter from the anime :)
Yeah, I would be a little weirded out if I was walking through Route XXX and then, suddenly, heard "Hey, Listen...!" :eek:

An interesting concept...I actually hope it doesn't talk to you with a voice because, that's just not normal, and a Digimon direction annoys me >_> I could see it being able to talk to you via message because it's a Rotom possessing an encyclopedia and computer.

I like the little guy, it's probably one of my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon so far.

I'm really curious on if it'll be able to battle though, it'd be odd if it can't imo, especially since the other forms can.

An interesting concept...I actually hope it doesn't talk to you with a voice because, that's just not normal, and a Digimon direction annoys me >_> I could see it being able to talk to you via message because it's a Rotom possessing an encyclopedia and computer.

To be fair, the Pokedex has been able to talk in the anime since Generation 1, so it wouldn't really be a new concept and it'd just be using the Pokedex's voice to talk. Talking Pokemon isn't a new concept either, it's just something rarely used in the games.

I looked back over his information, and one of the lines stuck out.

"A whole new way for people and poke'mon to communicate, woo!"

What if Rotom acts as sort of a translator/middle-man for your pokemon to communicate with you? Say, during pokemon-amie you can ask your pokemon questions about their likes and dislikes and rotom translates, or he simply gives you more in depth updates about how they are feeling.

So if all my Pokemon faint, and I want to keep battling, whats the in-game explanation going to be for not allowing me to throw my Pokedex at the opponent's Pokemon and keep battling with Rotom?

Also, will we be able to actually get a playable Rotom in this form? Maybe aside from the lawn mower, dish washer, etc., one of the electronic items we find will be an old pokedex that Rotom can inhibit.

I love the idea of having a Rotom inhabit your dex and act as a traveling companion, and I think there's a lot of potential in the idea. It's described as being "a new way to communicate between people and Pokemon", so maybe it'll have Pokemon speech translation, video communication (in one clip we do see Professor Kukui trying to video chat), and the usual PSS/Super Training/Pokemon Amie. It also seems like they're setting up to have Dexnav functionality, which would be a welcome return. In general I think it could be an extremely useful feature in the game.

Also, since it can tell you where to go, can we please have less linearity now? The "kids are getting lost" excuse kind of falls apart now that we have a help function.

It is a shame, but I don't believe this Rotom will actually be playable in battle. You'd have to either a) always have Rotom in your party and lose a teamslot or b) have your 6 usual slots plus Rotom. I don't see GF doing something along those lines.

Well, maybe if Rotom isn't on your party, your Dex behaves like a plain old Pokédex but when you have Rotom on your team it transforms?

It is a shame, but I don't believe this Rotom will actually be playable in battle. You'd have to either a) always have Rotom in your party and lose a teamslot or b) have your 6 usual slots plus Rotom. I don't see GF doing something along those lines.

Well, maybe if Rotom isn't on your party, your Dex behaves like a plain old Pokédex but when you have Rotom on your team it transforms?

Yeah, I'd very much like the idea of having the Rotom Dex be a new form that you can use in battle, but it'd be hard to make that work. How do you add it to your team? What happens if you put it in the PC? It'd be neat to use it in battle, but I just don't see it happening.

Back