Writing Rose Quartz And Onyx- Part 1 Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Rose Quartz And Onyx- The Revival

Here's fine, unless you wanna be anonymous or something. >> I'm just running outta PM room again, haha...

Okay, six questions then. 1. Who did Blaze have a fling with? 2. Will Kira and Ryouo make an apperance? 3. Will Crystal catch Kokomo? (I hope so.) 4. Why does Eru/Aeron have so many fire Pokemon? 5. Why don't you like PMJ? (You made him evil and now you will not let him ask any more questions.) 6. How big will the bang be when the story is done?

I like the Charmeleon for some reason. Anyways she got an egg! I really don't know what it is at the moment since the mother Pokemon wasn't revealed, but I will find out!

~NZ

Woo yeah, Charmeleon gettin him sum

Also random dude, it's not that she doesn't like me, it's that I have already given her a bunch of questions, so she does not need any from me.

Kinda short chapter, but still perty good.

Mannnn it's not like I don't care for this now I swear D:

I've just been kept really out of things because of the whole moving back to my parent's place and seeing what recent events have caused up here... it's not a pretty sight, but that isn't something to concern you with.

POINT IS I did read this and as always it's super cool :). I always did like the whole Charmeleon love story thing, since it really does sound so... human I guess is the word for it. Like I could totally see that happening in real life as well, just obviously minus the whole "father takes the egg" thing :p

I also like how personalities seem to have changed somewhat from the first one. It's hard at times to remember that things HAVE changed that way, but reminders like Aeron's lack of people skills really bring that home again.

So, questions that I never got round to before... I don't know if you already have these or not, but hey, let's give it a go:

• Whilst many changes are apparent to those who read the first version, clearly these would be lost on somebody who didn't read your original version of the fic. Care to explain the changes thus far, for those not in the know?
  • How hard is it for you to write the battle scenes and such? Although there isn't that many of them right now, surely with the depth you put into the REST of the story it's hard to make them "fit in" and whatnot?
  • General question, from writer to writer - where does your inspiration come from most of all? Because clearly your story has a LOT of depth to it, especially with that teaser length you've given to us at the end. So where do all those ideas come from?
  • Speaking of length, it's no secret that some stories (published or otherwise) outstay their welcome by dragging on and just being too long (biggest personal example being Harry Potter 5). Not that this SHOULD go down that way, but given the scale that you've hinted at before do you have any thoughts regarding it possibly being TOO long?
  • Not really related to the fic as such, but since you've had ample experience on both sides of it now, opinions on hax in matches? ;D
  • On a more realistic question, how much do you think battle experience in the games (specifically competitive, but in-game works too) shapes the way one writes battle scenes in fiction?

That'll do for now ;P

Teehee. Nao for responses before I deliver some niceties! :3

eevee: Like PMJ sed I already have like 10+ questions from him lol :3 Thanks for the questions! I shall address em at the end of Part 1.

NZ: Teehee Blaze. :3 And I thought you'd have remembered but oh well! I guess we'll have to see what happens next hmm?

PMJ: Oh you know it |3 Also only you would say that it was a short chapter. >.> Ten pages is plenty for me lolololol

gamercal: Oh I see how it is you hate my story and you just didn't wanna hurt my feelings and slice my heart anymore well I'll take care of that anyways *shot* XD
Also yeah, I like making things human. It makes the Pokemon that much easier to understand. I mean, overexaggerating personalities doesn't hurt tooooo much I hope, but it's the same with pets, I find. Each animal has a nearly humanesque personality unique to themselves, and I kinda wanted to make people realize that through my story too. Whoo subliminal message of sorts!
But yeah, some personality changes. I felt the need to try and make it more realistic for the story itself...It'll be coming up within the next two parts, but it'll start to show why everything has been changed as it is. I dunno...to me it just feels better.
Also awesome questions sir! :000 I shall add them to the list of things to address. :3

Bit late on this chapter. I still haven't been able to write anything new, so I dunno how long it'll be before 9...yeah. Just keep that in mind. But! I do have a sneak peek of a side project that will (hopefully) go along with my lil podcast type thingy. I know it's been requested before, as well, so yeah, the first of 16 for Part 1, Character artwork of Ms. Aeron Gunnar!

You know you wanna click this. :3

She is a bit difficult to imagine just based off of a short description, but yeah that's her standard outfit that she's most known for. She'll change her pants and the long-sleeves, but she typically has that windbreaker on her. So yeah Eru! :3

ANYWAYS! Bit of a 'filler' chapter, mainly used for background information and a bit of character development. I feel at this point it's necessary, so bear with me! There won't be a TON of chapters like this.. but yeah, 9 will have its fair share of excitement. I'm more than ready to write a few EXTREEEEEEEEEME BATTLES. 8D

So yeah here it is, Chapter 8!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8: The Beginning

Gentle splashes were heard as Crystal and Aeron rested by Dawndew Lake. A picnic had been spread, and although the younger ate ravenously, the elder could hardly share the same appetite. Resting nearby were a few of her teammates; Arcanum, Freya and Umbree all rested comfortably in the late morning sun. Dragola, too, had been released, and busily drank a can of lemonade. As soon as the sweet drink was demolished, she moved onto a nearby apple.

“…Aeron? Aren’t you going to eat?”

“Huh? Oh,” Aeron mumbled, lamely looking at her apple. She returned to her thoughts, raising up her knee and resting the arm holding the whole fruit on it. “Just thinking…”

“About what?”

“Team Missile…or Team Rocket, I should say,” she darkly began. The mood dropped from famine to fatale. Crystal continued to gaze at her, and she started to eat her grapes far slower. “I took some time to do a little research on them, and I didn’t like what I found.”

“You did? W-what did you find?”

“It was what I didn’t find that was what I found.”

“Huh?”

“Team Rocket, before, when it was in Kanto…it was just another criminal organization that rose to the top,” she began, staring at her Pokemon. Umbree, thought to be fast asleep, perked an ear and rose his head. He meandered over, eyeing both his trainer and Crystal before lying down between the two. The elder was swift to move her apple to her other hand before petting him gently on the head.

“Yeah, that was all over the news when they took over Silph’s main building,” the blonde nodded. Dragola, watching Umbree wander over to his trainer’s side to receive affection, followed his example and cuddled up to Crystal. With a small smile, she ran her fingers over the smooth, cool scales of the Pokemon.

“I was in Kanto at the time. Silph building, to be exact. I…was one of the trainers trying to help out, but it seems I wasn’t strong enough.”

“You? You were in the Silph takedown?”

“Tch, hardly a takedown. A Self-Destruct caught me from behind and they managed to lock me away, if that tells you anything on how powerful they were, back then.” A chill ran up and down Crystal’s spine as the mentor’s pensive look turned to slight disapproval of herself. “I was still young then. Young and still inexperienced. But, that’s not the point. Before I went in to try and help all I could, I did have enough sense to try and get the information about the stronger members of the team. It worked out fairly well. It’s all in the public databases of the Kanto Police Co., so most of the criminals and their records were up there.”

“I see…”

“But this time…nothing.”

“Huh?”

“In the Beghta Police files. Hardly a single trace of any Team Missile member. Whomever’s heading them is definitely making sure that this is all untraceable. Aliases are definitely being used here. ‘Christopher Johnson’ is a perfect example of this; Johnson is a popular last name, just as much as Chris is being a first name. Whomever that Junior Admin is, he’s making sure to cover his behind and cover it well. Cocky jerk,” she added, crunching into her apple fiercely. Freya glanced over, before stretching on her side in the sunlight.

Crystal was left without words for a moment. Dragola glanced up as she removed her hand. The young girl smiled, before handing over the remainder of her grapes to the Pokemon; her appetite had died as the subject came up.

“So…uh…what does that mean for us?”

“We’re pretty much powerless as it is right now,” Aeron bluntly stated, before tossing her apple to Arcanum. The beast had tilted her head up at the sound of the crunching and kept her eyes on the Macintosh since. The Arcanine barked and easily caught the apple in her massive jaw. The fire trainer sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. “Knowledge is power. I don’t even know who the leader of this whole thing is, if it’s Giovanni or someone else or…”

“Kinshayti?”

“Always a possibility at that,” she growled. “Gah, it’s just so frustrating! Especially since they’ve gone and repeated history again. They’ve taken over the Silph Building in Sunrise.”

“Wha…what makes you think that?!” Crystal snapped. A small question disappeared from her mind completely at the startling conclusion.

“Think about it, Crystal. Team Missile grunts and members. Silph Co outfits. They know we’d be coming through Sunrise for the first badge. Prime target area, given they’ve wormed their way into Silph before. It’s obvious. They’re in Sunrise.”

The younger gulped. Even the Dratini hesitated, sensing something was desperately wrong in the air. She gently nudged Crystal’s hand. She didn’t respond.

“Which makes our lives a heckova lot more difficult, also obviously.” Eru stretched, finally rising to her feet and packing up her bag. “We have no choice in the matter, but we’ll have to free Silph this time. No doubt an Admin or Junior Admin will be waiting there for us.”

“W-wait, we’re heading right into the city and trying to go and take down Team Missile?!” Crystal leapt to her feet. The Pokemon curiously watched her drastic reactions. “But, seriously! Once they catch sight of me, they’ll use Stun Spore and Sleep Powder and everything else like that! We can’t step a foot near that building without them knowing who I am, right?!”

“Shut it before you continue. I have a plan,” the mentor grunted, shoving the remaining food away. Soon she was pulling at the blanket Crystal stood on; in a moment of sheer grace, the younger fell flat on her bottom and tumbled onto the grass as the picnic quilt was pulled out from beneath her. Aeron cracked a smile as she busily folded it. “But first, we need to travel to Sunrise.”

“That hurt a lot, you know!” Crystal growled as she twirled her hair. Dragola had slunk over, attempting to make her trainer feel better by nuzzling her.

“Looks like,” the fire trainer coolly retorted. “Come on, guys, back to your balls. Umbree, stay out. We’re going to need a good watch that can sneak in and out of dark brush easily.”

“Oh, of COURSE he gets to stay out,” Freya coldly motioned to the Umbreon, before sitting in front of her Pokeball. “I can be stealthy, too.”

“Haha, love you too, Freya,” Umbree offered. Arcanum said nothing, though her large ears dipped at the sound of the command. Soon they had been recalled. The dark Pokemon rested calmly on the earth, gazing up to his trainer with cool, blue eyes.

“Well, you goin’ to come with us or not?”

“Breeee,” he yawned loudly and flopped over onto his side like a cat. Eru rolled her eyes.

“This is what I get for having an Umbreon apparently,” she groaned. Done playing his cruel trick, he rose to his feet and ambled to her side. His rings flashed for a moment, before he glanced over at Crystal and Dragola. The new pair, too, followed over to the teenager’s side. “Ready to really begin this time?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Might want to go home then.”

“What?!”

“There is no gray area in training. Do, or do not. There is no ‘I think so’.”

“Isn’t that ‘try’?”

“You want to learn how to battle and be strong for your family or not?”

Crystal opened her mouth, yet she fell short on words. Once, she had been very excited to be a trainer like the many others of her family; now, after the events of Team Missile, that excitement had turned to something else. She swallowed gently, still searching for words. …is this really what I want, after all…?

Eru frowned. “I know that look. Seriously, it’s not an issue if you want to have me move you and your family away…”

The girl gazed down the semi-tame forest road. She knew that after some curves and a few miles, Dawndew could be seen. Home could be seen. She glanced down the other direction. Sunrise was a good few miles away. Team Missile awaited them there. So did the first gym, and the true start of most adventures. The beginning of everything. The primary thing that lingered there was change; beyond Sunrise, there was the unexpected. The wild. The new. And it was all waiting, whether she headed down that way or not.

“Okay, you little chicken, let’s go…”

“To Sunrise,” Crystal nearly whispered, taking a few steps towards the city. Dragola beamed.

“Yay! We get to see more new places, right Crystal?” the dragon babbled, keeping close to her trainer.

“Haha, yeah. I’m not giving up that easily,” the younger smiled. Umbree chuckled softly.

“I’d be worried if you did,” the dark type offered, before stretching out and yawning again. “Come on, before …Aeron makes fun of you for it.”

“Whenever you’re done, o Gifted One!” Eru hummed, starting up the hill with a sing-song attitude. The Umbreon hesitated, shaking his head.

“Too late, it seems. Hope you’re prepared for whatever she has up her sleeves with Team Missile…”

Crystal nodded, hurrying up the hillside. True, they were rushing into danger, yet there was a certain ease in knowing that she wouldn’t be alone.

* * *​

Contrary to the name, the sun slowly sank around the western part of Sunrise City. The small town marked by nature and a single towering building shone bright orange in the evening light. A chilly breeze whipped through the area, especially since both Crystal and Aeron rested upon a small hilltop overlooking the city. The former immediately shivered, grasping at her bare arms for some sort of comfort. While Eru made no drastic movement, she did shove her hands tightly into her pockets as she emptily stared down at the city.

Moving about in the city were little black dots, all like ants. “Pests,” the elder muttered. “A buncha lowly cockroaches, clearly…”

“It got pretty cold,” Crystal added. “I can’t wait to get to the Pokemon Center.” She began hastily making her way for the city, yet one smooth move from Aeron made her stop in her tracks with an ‘urk’. The teen yanked back on the young girl’s near-empty bag, her stoic expression moving to disbelief and disapproval.

“Uh, are you stupid? Were you not just listening to what I was saying?” she reprimanded, pulling her closer. Crystal stumbled back as she was released from the grip. Somewhat gently, Aeron locked her student’s head forward and down onto the city with both hands. The ‘pests’ were still crawling about. “Look. Lots of pests. Too many to just go barging in head on. Unless you wish to, you know, get caught again.”

“Oough,” Crystal embarrassedly muttered, watching the grunts mill about. “…I keep forgetting about this…”

“You are such a typical blonde,” Aeron groaned, releasing her pupil and grabbing her temples. “God, never mind you saying ‘what have I gotten myself into’, what the heck have I gotten myself into?!”

“Hey! Take that back!” the blonde roared, attempting to take a futile swing at her mentor. Aeron didn’t even bother looking; she simply extended her hand and arm and blocked the punch in one smooth grip. The younger gasped in surprise as she was unceremoniously released from the counter. “W…wha?!”

“Don’t mess with me, alright? I wasn’t expecting half of this…this insanity when I made this pact with you. I wasn’t expecting a complete and utter newbie to Pokemon to be gifted with the ability to talk to Pokemon, who is then chased for her ability by none other than Team Rocket. God this is so ridiculous! As soon as you help me find Inari, you are…”

Her words faded at that, and she grabbed at her chin, turning away. Umbree immediately perked up at the sound of the name, and trotted around to his mistress’s side. The gifted girl hesitated.

“…Inari…?”

“…Yes, because knowing you, you’re one of those annoying children that will bother me until I tell you about it. Inari. If she’s out there, she’s a baby Vulpix of a different color, as I mentioned over at your house.”

“You…make it sound like you know her.”

“Somewhat. It’s difficult to explain it all. I’m…not even sure she exists. But I do want to look for her. It’s…very important that I do.” Aeron gazed away into the fading sunlight. A hint of seriousness clouded over her muddy brown eyes. At that, Umbree gave a short sneeze. His eyes narrowed, his gaze cast on Eru again. "So you obey me and help me out with this."

“What, am I a dog, now?”

“Yep, so you better behave well,” Aeron coldly smiled, waving her hand in the air. “Come on. We’ll head around the east side; it’ll be the easiest way to avoid detection. Heel, girl…”

“And what if I say no?” Crystal grumbled, folding her arms.

“Oh, fine, you can stay here if you want. Without a fire, with tons of Missiles hanging around,” she sarcastically continued on, slowly making her way into the surrounding forest. The new trainer bit her lip and hastily trotted after her mentor.

Aeron’s plan worked; the duo snaked around the city on the eastern boundaries and had made it to the Pokemon Center without being detected. All the grunts they passed seemed luckily preoccupied with bossing another civilian around. As they approached, though, the elder was hasty to pull them off to the side, whip out a hat and secure it on top of Crystal’s head.

“Ow, ow, ow! Aeron, what are you-”

“Shush. We can’t go walking into the Pokemon Center with your bangs showing. It’s probably a dead giveaway for most of the grunts looking for you,” she whispered, making sure her bangs were successfully tucked away. The younger grunted, fiddling with the baseball cap. “And don’t mess around with it, unless you want to be captured.”

Reluctantly, she stopped trying to fix it. Her sky blue eyes fell on Aeron as she removed her jacket and stuffed it into her bag as well. “…Thanks,” she weakly offered, returning to her mentor’s side.

“For being marginally smart?” she coolly returned. Before Crystal could retort, she spoke again, waving her hand. “Come on. Let’s check in for the night.”

“Alright…” the blonde sighed, following her mentor. Her eyes fell to Umbree as his rings flashed; as night took over the sky he stretched about and became more active. Saying nothing about it, the two found themselves in front of the Pokemon Center.

Standing on either side of the door were two grunts, one female and one male. Although they didn’t make any sort of movement to stop the pair, they did turn their complete attention to the two as they entered the building. Crystal nervously gazed back. Aeron gave a sidewards glance and a hint of a sneer before she ushered the younger inside.

In contrast to how Crystal remembered the center, it was quiet and lonely. Only a few trainers sat in the local booths and sofas. At the sound of the door opening, all looked up, paranoid, before their eyes sunk back down to whatever they were doing. Aeron hastily directed them towards the courtesy counter. The nurse there, fiddling nervously as she typed away at her terminal, weakly greeted them.

“Welcome to Sunrise Center,” she offered, before her dark brown eyes darted towards a man sipping at a mug of what appeared to be coffee. He had removed his cap and wig, but it was obvious that he was still a grunt. “Can I help you?”

“Yeah, a room for two, provided you have it, please,” Aeron politely muttered back as she handed over a thick card. The nurse glanced over it, typing in the information. At one point she frowned, yet she handed the card back and pulled out a card key.

“It seems that your card’s not registered in Beghta, or hasn’t been in a long time. I’ll allow it for this one time, seeing how you two seem so tired, but you really ought to re-register your trainer card.”

“Ah, of course. Sorry ‘bout that, haha,” Aeron nervously chuckled, stowing away the trainer card with great speed. She took the card key slower. “Thank you…”

“Of course. …may I suggest locking your door tonight?” the nurse added, glaring out of the corner of her eye at the grunt.

“Didn’t have to even suggest it,” the elder bitterly growled, sharing the same distaste for the grunt with a glance. “Thank you,” she repeated, and gently nodded to her student. With one last conspicuous look at the Missile peon, she shuffled off towards the rental trainer rooms in the back of the Pokemon Center, Crystal in tow. She paused at the seafoam green door marked with a golden ‘14’, and easily swiped the card through. Beep! The lock audibly clicked open and with haste the duo shuffled in. The teen hastily shut the door, then dashed over to the single window and dragged the curtains together. Only after a moment of darkness did the lamp go on in the room.

It was a simple enough room, being of a light teal color. Two bunk-beds occupied most of the room, with two nightstands being the other major furniture. The hardwood floors were scuffed and worn, though still shone from the caretaker’s hard efforts. The smell of many Pokemon and humans gently filled Crystal’s senses. She paused, sitting down gently on the bottom bunk of the nearest bed; the bed itself was a touch firm, yet it was more than a welcome feeling after all the walking they had done that day.

“Ugh, my feet hurt…” the younger openly whined, taking her shoes off at once and rubbing the aching body part. “I’m hungry, too. Can we get some-”

“Keep your voice down,” Aeron hushed, as she casually leaned against the door. “Team Missile’s everywhere. They don’t need to hear your voice. I’ll go out to get some food in a bit, but I do NOT like that grunt just waiting outside. He could notice who we are.”

“Wait, what do you mean, who we are?” Crystal glanced up.

“Tch…let’s just say that my battle against…Mr. Johnson or whoever that loser was probably didn’t go over well with Team Missile. Protecting you was a big no-no. Haha, they probably think of me as a Class-C perpetrator at the least. Yeah, I don’t want to go and get in a big ol’ fight with Mr. Grunt if I can stand it. Hopefully some complete dumb-bumb vigilante will take a stand against him and knock him out, or at least boot him out of the center for us.” At the thought, she gave a sly smirk. “Well, that and as I’ve said, I was never too fond of Team Rocket back in the day. Still probably have some sort of record with them.”

“Ah, I see…” Crystal muttered, still holding one foot in one hand. “What are the chances, you think?”

“Ehhh, half-half some dude does it. With all the people here there has to be some sign of revolt. Maybe a Gym Leader trainer snuck out and will get the guy good. That’d be nice for us…”

“Oh, yeah! Why couldn’t the Gym Leader-”

“Shhh, I said,” Eru interrupted, pausing to listen outside. Her eyes returned to focusing on the girl after footsteps passed. “Why can’t the Gym Leader kick their pitiful selves, is what you mean to ask?” Although wincing from the teen’s sharp tongue, she nodded. “First thing they do when they head into a town or a new place is they lock down the gym. They overwhelm their numbers and use dirty tactics. Worse comes to worse, they literally lock them inside their own gym and guard all exits. It’d be real trouble for them for the Gym Leader and their posse to take war against them in their city.”

Once again the fire trainer rose her finger as more people walked past. Her deadpan expression lit up as garbled conversation could be made out on the other side. “…looks like we’ve got ourselves some dummy wanting to take that grunt on. Hometown hero, something like that. I’ll go out to watch the carnage. You stay here, and stay with Umbree so you’re not completely defenseless.”

With a flick of her wrist, the most aged Pokeball broke wide open and revealed the dark type once again. His eyes winced shut gently at the brightness of the room, yet trotted around on the floor to face his trainer. He gazed up, flashing his golden rings curiously.

“Umbree, stay here with Crystal. Keep your guard up for any trouble. Don’t say anything too loudly if you wish to have conversation. I’ll be back with a meal shortly.” As though perfectly understanding her, the Pokemon nodded and leapt up onto the bed beside the gifted girl. Quickly he laid himself down, giving a curious glance to the girl, before looking to his mistress again. She gave a small smile, then opened the door. Sluggishly, as though truly tired, she made her way out of the room.

As soon as the door clicked shut, Crystal glanced down to the Umbreon. He glanced back, shuffling up to his paws and stretching gently before yawning. Once again his silver eyes fell onto the girl.

“So…I take it you can understand us, then? From the way Skai kept chattering in his Pokeball, it’s the real deal,” he offered gently as he continued to stretch.

“Yeah, I can,” she replied, and waited. Oddly enough, Umbree showed no sign of surprise in the fact. “Oh, I wanted to say thanks again for saving me back at Team Missile’s base. I’m Crystal Hikara.”

“Pleasure,” he yipped quietly, offering out his paw sideways. Crystal stared at how awkward the motion seemed to be for the Pokemon, before taking his handshake. He angled his head to the side, but then softly chuckled to himself. “Hahaha…you’re probably wondering why I’m so calm about your gift.”

“A bit,” she admitted.

“While I may not understand English entirely, I know enough to hear all around me from my Pokeball. I will admit, there was some surprise in learning for myself, but…well, I don’t surprise very easily.”

“Yeah, I guess not. …I take it you’re close to Aeron?”

He stretched a moment further, elongating the silence before responding with a simple, “Mmmhmm.”

“You’re pretty powerful…were you her starter?”

“No. Freya was.”

“Really? You seem so close…”

“Yes…she did adopt me. She’s always been very kind to me.”

“Adopt?”

“Yes. It’s…kind of a story I don’t want to get into.” At once, his rings flashed and his eyes darted to the ground, as though ashamed. “Neither does she, for that matter...”

“Wha, but-”

“A…Aeron has a lot of secrets, Crystal,” the dark-type seriously muttered, sitting down next to her again. “She prefers to keep those secrets. She hides secrets even from us, her Pokemon. We are her closest family, the one she depends on most, yet…there was a time she even abandoned us. She prefers to keep to herself. If she trusts you, she will tell you some of them, but only when the time comes. Be lucky she told you her name.”

Crystal closed her mouth at that. True, it was unexpected from the Eeveelution, yet he had a point. Everyone has their hurtful secrets. She gazed up to the ceiling, taking in all of the paint-daubed patterns that it had to offer. “I guess that’s true,” she whispered.

Suddenly there was the sound of screeching from afar. Even Umbree leapt up as heard something heavy fall. The sound of more horrendous shouting echoed through the normally quiet halls and sound-resistant walls. Some applause could be heard before everything faded back to its quiescent self. The dark-type relaxed gently as there seemed to be no further trouble.

Beep! Crystal leapt as the door opened suddenly. Aeron had returned, two trays of large, steaming soup bowls on one arm like a practiced waitress. Again, she was quick to close the door behind her. Before one tray could fall, she grabbed it hastily with her free hand.

“Ahhh, this’ll do as a snack before we go to bed.” She beamed. “There should even be enough in there for Dratini to share with you.” With efficiency, she handed it to Crystal.

“What about your team members?” the young girl questioned, letting her eyes fall to the soup. Noodles swam and curled around the bowl amongst vegetable pieces. The warm smell of chicken filled her nostrils.

“Ahhh, the great science of the Pokeball,” she began, sitting down on the other bunk-bed. Umbree was quick to leap over and push his face over into the gargantuan bowl. “There’s technology on the ball that offers adequate nutrition if they can’t get fed in a while. Great if you’re travelling in the air for a while or if you’re in an otherwise bad place for feeding. It only works a few days though, and it drains the ability to keep the ball small.”

“But…we’re at a Pokemon Center. They can’t rest here?”

“What, you wanna meet the team?” Aeron glanced up. Some weird twist of disbelief and humor covered her face. “Yeah, okay. You can totally say hi to Jormy, then.”

“…Jormy?”

“My Gyarados, of course. Thought Freya filled you in on that,” she coolly mentioned as she grabbed her spoon. She practically pulled the Umbreon far away from her bowl and shielded it with her body. Upset, he whined and pawed at her shoulder.

“You have a Gyarados with you? Right now?” Crystal whimpered. “B-but, Gyarados are known for being some of the most ill-tempered Pokemon of anywhere! It’s so powerful, too! What are you doing with a Gyarados and saying you have one like it’s nothing?!”

“Hahaha…you really don’t know anything about trainers, huh. Gah, no, Umbree, back off for now! My soup! No soup for you yet!” she grumbled as the Umbreon tried slinking over her arm to get at the bowl. He whined more as he was pushed back again. Playfully he nipped her arm. “…regardless, like I said, I have training with dragon-types under my belt. Ragnarok, my Dragonair, served me as my water specialist until I rescued lil’ Jormy from one of my mentor’s wrath. When he evolved…hoo boy he gave her a run for her money. He was tough to train, yeah, but well worth it. He’s a beast now.” Gently she nudged down to the teal-colored Pokeball with black lines running across it. “Still wanna meet the team in this little room-”

“I think I’ll pass...” The gifted girl hastily shook her head, and turned to her soup. Little curls of steam still rose from the bowl, although there weren’t as many as before. Gingerly she unclipped the singular Pokeball from her waist and held it in front of her face. At last she could really truly examine the markings of the black ball; it almost seemed like two wings sprouted forth from the sides of the capsule. Almost. Keeping a wary eye on her mentor, she attempted to call her out with, “Come on out…Dratini.”

She waited for a moment. Nothing.

“Try tossing the ball to the ground,” Aeron noted nonchalantly as she began to eat her soup.

“No way! Last time I tried that Breeze said she was nearly gonna hurl from being tossed up and spun like crazy. I promised I wouldn’t do that anymore and I’m sure the other Pokemon wouldn’t like it either.”

“Oh, please. Pokeballs have anti-centrifugal technology in them.”

“I doubt Breeze would just complain about it, especially if she didn’t know how I threw the ball.”

“Whatever,” the elder coldly shrugged it off, scooping more of her soup. Umbree had finally backed off, yet he looked pleadingly at her.

Giving a short sigh after a few more futile attempts, Crystal finally dropped the ball from her hand with the command, “Come on out, Dratini…please?” The ball broke open, yet strangely as soon as the dragon’s form began to materialize, it burst back into a bright red light and disappeared into the capsule. The orb flew unexpectedly back into the girl’s outstretched hands, nearly making her lose her soup. Aeron glanced up for a moment, and sighed.

“She’s not listening to you because you don’t have enough badges, apparently.”

“I don’t think it’s that. I told you, she only listens to me when I call her by her real name.”

“Don’t get attached, Crystal, I warned you…”

“It was her mother’s name for her! How do you think she feels, being taken away by from her mother by some trainer she didn’t want to go with?”

“Tough luck. That’s the nature of Pokemon and trainers.”

“But Aeron-!”

“She is my Pokemon, understand Crystal? Mine. I’m loaning her out to you for now because you’re too stubborn a child to get another Pidgey and just start over again.”

Umbree glanced up at that. His eyes narrowed. At once he leapt down and clambered over to Crystal’s side. She was fighting back tears.

“W-what if you lost your best friend? What if you lost your only friend, the person you were closest to, and you don’t know if they’re alive or dead? How can you say such things…?”

Aeron was nearly about to say something, but instead caught the discerning eyes of the dark type. He shook his head gently, before settling down on the bed beside the silently crying girl. The elder tried to refrain eye contact, guilt riddling her glances. At long last, she let out a long sigh, gripping her head and burying her face into the palm of her hand.

“I’m sorry.”

Crystal glanced up.

“You’re not the only one in this world…” she trailed off, her gaze fixed on the curtained window. “…to lose someone very close to you. I know that pain myself. ...I guess I’ve been a little too harsh on you since we’ve started. I’ve forgotten what it’s like…”

The teen’s eyes now feel to her soup bowl. She took up her spoon again. “…I guess if she only responds to Dragola, you can call her that. But do remember not to get attached. Don’t. Because then you may cry over something you knew would happen. …we should really eat before this gets cold. We have to get ready to wake up really early in the morning.”

Crystal silently nodded, looking back down at the Pokeball still resting in her hand. The tingly feeling from the surprise smack to her hand had begun to die down. Once more, she offered out the orb. “…Dragola, come on out?” She caught a brief twitch from Aeron, but she didn't remark on the issue. The fire trainer sat deep in her thoughts. Crystal’s attention shifted as the long serpent emerged from the Pokeball at last. Dragola glanced up and over to Crystal, somewhat sadly.

“Miss Crystal? Why were you calling me Dratini?”

“…I’m sorry, Dragola. Aeron wanted it at first but…well, she seems a little more at ease with me calling you Dragola. Sorry about that. You want some soup?”

At that, the Dratini fervently nodded her head and sprung up onto the bed besides Crystal. “Okay!” she sung, before attempting to stuff her face with the soup.

“H-hey, come on! Lemme eat first!”

“I thought you said I could have some soup!”

“After I’ve eaten a little bit!”

“Please?”

The blonde stared into those shining violet eyes. She couldn’t help but to succumb to the gaze.

“Okay, but just don’t eat it all…”

“Yay!” Dragola sung, and immediately started sipping away at the soup. Crystal forced her spoon in and managed to collect a few noodles with it. There were a few times the two chattered, but otherwise they were mainly silent, yet pleased with the turn of events.

Aeron guiltily looked on. Rolling her eyes, she pet the bed. Umbree immediately leapt back to her side, the mooching gaze returning. He gave a small yip. “Go ahead, Umbree…” she groaned, and pushed the bowl gently his way. The dark type dipped his head and began lapping away at most of the remaining liquid. The teen sighed, rubbing her eye. “We’ll be up first thing in the morning, remember.”

“Y-yeah, what’s going on with that?” Crystal paused, mid-giggle.

“We’re going to sneak into Silph building.”

“But…how again?”

Eru rose her finger to her lips. “Remember, little ears abound. You’ll see. You’ll need all the strength you can get so eat till you burst. …okay come on leave some soup for me you pig,” she growled the last as she attempted to get her spoon past the Umbreon.

Suddenly Crystal felt a lot less hungry.

Great chapter. What sort of dark secrets does Eru/Aeron have? I can't wait to find out. Whee, intense battle scenes are coming up. Yeah, violence. * In Oliver Twist voice* Can I have some more chapters, please?

NO YOU CANNOT HAS MOAR CHAPTERS AS THERE ARE NO MOAR CHAPTERS FOR ME TO POST. >0 NO SOUP FOR YOU.

I read this chapter last night (this morning) on my PSP! Booyah!

Also I didn't really realize that the last chapter was ten pages for you. I guess since I read through it so quickly, it seemed short :3

SO IF CHRIS JOHNSON ISN'T MY NAME... WHAT IS IT? D:

Also you should so join the chat room~

Well I read it last night on my cell phone! WAPPPAAAA! (No lie, did.)

I just realized, they are none of those Pokepun things in here! D: (PMJ, you remember those?)

Good chapter, looking forward to more. And nice artwork, Shiny Pokegear is shiny.

I like the way you are developing Eru. She is as stubborn as a mule, but I can see a lot of character development potential. I can tell you are pulling off the tragic past thing well, most people these days can't pull it off correctly.

~NZ

1000_14569_32020_pancakes.jpg

(*pancake of approval*)

I love how it turned into a 'OH YEAH LOOK HOW DEDICATED A READER I AM I READ IT ON THIS!' kinda deal. XD

PMJ: Pffft it was a little shorter. I seemingly have been getting into the habit of hitting 15 pages now. Slightly problematic.
Also YOUR name? o_O

CA: Yeah yeah I got rid of the Pokepuns for the most part. Aeron may crack one or two to be witty from time to time but yeah otherwise they are GONE. I think this is for the better methinks; RQO is far more serious now and it really benefits from the lack of them. (I'm bad at humor anyways...)
And yay someone knows that it's a Pokegear yayyyy. :D

NZ: Oh yes. Aeron debateably gets more character development than Crystal. She's a much better character in RQO, whereas normally at least they have similar character flaws and development. And less emo. :X But that's a whole 'nother story on its own.

bacon: I die of laughter a little bit each time you post. XD

...Hoooo-o-o-ly toledo, I had no idea I had made this chapter this long. It wasn't even MEANT to be this long but WHATEVER. (IE, 15 1/2 pages or so.) Eh he he! Oooooooops. Ah well, there's plenty of behind-kickin' action in this next chapter. We get to see another one of Aeron's Pokemon, as well...Midori may not be an oftenly used Pokemon, but he is definitely one of the most bad-to-the-bone as they come. He is awesome. He's so awesome, in fact, that after a serious round of kicking Missile behind, he probably wound up kneeling down on a tatami mat, drinking foamy green tea elegantly. Oh yeah. He's that awesome.

Oh, yeah. 'Nother introduction! Some may remember the other Administrator from before, Yoramatu. He's just undergone a slight namechange. :3 I think it's more fitting. That is all.

So prepare yourself for the next action-filled episode of RQO, people! Ready or not, here it is!

Disclaimer: Contains somewhat violent scenes between the characters, including minor blood, punching other humans, etc. Read at your own risk, younger folks. >D

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 9: The Infiltration

The small bicycle that Crystal had rode to Dawndew Lake had been completely abandoned.

Panting, the young girl fought for breath as she sprinted back down the way she came, back to Dawndew. Cradled so carefully in her arms was the wounded Pidgey; various feathers had been burned off the bird and it seemed to be in a state of shock. Soon a fellow Pidgey swooped down, sensing the urgency of the situation.

“B-Breeze!” Crystal managed through heavy breaths to the bird floating beside her. “T-this Pidgey’s been…been badly injured! G-go on ahead and…and get Uncle Kiwori please!”

“Kuu!” the bird nodded, and caught the updraft. Soon she was out of sight, presumably shooting forward towards town with Quick Attack.

An eternity later, the small village came into view. In nearly as much as a hurry as the girl, a man in his early sixties hobbled forward towards her. Although slightly balding, he still maintained a vast majority of his silvery hair. His worried frown deepened the wrinkles on his face as he followed Breeze towards Crystal.

“Crystal, dear, what’s the matter? Oh……oh dear, what happened here…?” Kiwori peered down onto the poor Pokemon Crystal still held.

“U-uncle Kiwori, there was a Charmeleon, and it was attacking her, and it even tried to attack me, but Kokomo was there, and-”

“Slow down, Crystal. It’s been burned, then?”

“Yeah, it doesn’t look good for the poor thing! Please tell me there’s something you can do for it!”

He hesitated, gazing down into her faded blue eyes. “…I’m unsure…” As cautious as the girl, he took the creature gingerly into his hands. The tiny bird cooed feebily, shivering as it traded hands. “I’ll take the Pidgey for now and see what I can do for her. Crystal!”

“Y-yes?”

“I’ll tell your mother where you went; I need you to go to Sunrise and send for an ambulance, posthaste!”

“M-me?!” The girl’s heart leapt a beat. She had never gone that far on her own. “B-but, Uncle Kiwori, that’s like a full day’s journey away from here-!”

“If you casually walk. This is a dire situation, so…I’m sure that it will be alright if I lend you Ven.”

She froze as he nodded to one of the large pockets of his coat. As though what she was doing was taboo, she lifted the single Pokeball out of that pocket; it shimmered a deep red in the sunlight and was marked by three star seals.

“Just be wary of Quist; he has a short temper, as I’m sure you know. Go on…release them. Under my order they’ll take you to Sunrise in little time flat.”

Crystal frowned. Last time she had a meeting with the Dodrio, it ended in a near Drill Peck accident from the angered head, Quist. Yet as her eyes fell on the suffering bird, she couldn’t stop herself from tossing the ball forward onto the ground…

* * *​

As though the light from the Pokeball of her dreams was a portal to the other side, Crystal’s eyes blinked open. Aeron’s hand rested on her shoulder as she shook her.

“Ah, good, you’re up,” the teen whispered, backing off. Dizzily the young girl blinked, giving a long yawn to accompany her grogginess. Dragola lightly rose her head, giving a feeble ‘Draaaa’ before hitting her metaphorical snooze button and resting back down onto the mattress besides her ‘trainer’.

“W-what time is it?” she fought to mutter, stretching lightly in the top bunk of the bed.

“Four in the morning sharp. Come on, let’s get up and ready to go…”

“Oh, oka- wait, four in the morning?!” she nearly shrieked, but not before Eru forced her hand over her mouth.

“Shhh, keep it down. We can’t have Team Missile knowing that we’re up yet. We can’t really have them knowing that we’re here and up at all!” the elder hissed. “If we’re going to take them by storm, now is the time to do it. Otherwise they’ll get to us first. Now, come on. Get dressed quickly.”

As Crystal fought with sleep and attempted to do as she was told, something peculiar seemed to be going on with Aeron’s eyes; before she could place her finger on it, however, Aeron turned away, preparing herself for battle. Quietly the fire trainer stuffed various things into her massive bag, only to take different things out and stash them away in the small pouch hanging slightly below her trainer’s belt. Still curious, the gifted girl watched what she was doing as she changed into a light blue top with a white Pokeball at the bottom of the shirt with denim shorts to match. One of the last things her mentor did was stuff her jacket away, once again revealing her slightly feminine form.

“You’re not wearing your jacket?”

“Nope…” she muttered, then finally removed the card key from the giant bag. It was stored away with the other few things she had removed. “And I’m certainly not bringing my bag with me, either. It’ll get in the way. You’re leaving yours here too.”

“Wha- but why?”

“Trust me, with the plan in mind, it would be more hindering than help. Just bring your bare necessities. You could probably get away with just the Dratini right now.”

“…a-are you sure?”

“What, you wanna doubt me and stay here, all alone, where Team Missile can happily find you?” Aeron smirked as she pulled the curtains of the singular window apart; soon she was quietly budging the window and storm screen open.

“…no, but-”

“Nope, no buts here. Come on. We’re busting outta here through this window. Keep close to me, and don’t make a sound.”

As much as she didn’t like the plan, Crystal swallowed her comments. After recalling the still slumbering Dratini from her bed, she lifted herself up and out of the window.

Only a peek of teal light could be made out on the horizon. A few birds chirped, though had yet to break out into full song. The city was otherwise dead quiet; only a small handful of Missile Grunts patrolled the streets. Two grunts had positioned themselves in front of the Pokemon Center; one was gently snoring whereas the other was fighting to keep awake, though she was losing the battle.

Aeron stealthily climbed down and landed more nimbly than the younger girl had, Umbree following just as quietly. Straightening her shirt and belt, she crept silently towards the two guards. The mentor waved to her student without a word. The small party soon crouched behind a large trash container. Curiously the elder peered towards the slacking grunts.

“…okay Umbree. Take ‘em on, but try and leave their clothes intact. Don’t make them scream or anything if you can…”

“Umb,” he near-silently returned, rings flashing momentarily before they turned black in color. The agile creature crept forth, completely hidden in the lackluster night and shadows. Soon he reached the post completely unnoticed. Aeron nodded, and pointed Crystal’s attention away from the scene of the crime that was about to be committed.

Only one very feeble yell could be heard amongst the sounds of various Psychic and Faint Attack strikes. With each blow to the grunts, the younger cringed. Hard to believe I almost feel bad for them… Eru simply gave a small smirk as the chaos unfolded.

And, as soon as the attack had started, it ceased. The sound of something being dragged along slowly in slow bits and pieces could be heard. Peeking out, Umbree had brought both grunts into the alleyway. One was being levitated rather close to the ground while the other was subject to the Eeveelutions physical strength. Aeron beamed and dashed over to help. Both grunts were fast unconscious.

Within a few moments the grunts lay in front of the duo and Pokemon. Eru gave a small chuckle as she looked them each over. “Hmm…yeah…might be a little big, but this should do…” she whispered to herself as she began closing down in on the two grunts. “Keep a steady look out for me while I do this, will you?

“What are you talking about? We’re not gonna…we’re not gonna kidnap them or anything, are we?” Crystal nervously began fiddling with her hair again, though did as she was told.

“Psh, naw. Nothing of the sort. That sort of plan’s got too many holes when concerning Team Missile. They don’t care about their peons that much.” She soon turned her attention to the female grunt, and after a long sigh, continued her work.

“So, what are we going to do, then? …how are we going to break into the Missile base…? And why do we have to do this, again…?”

“Break in? Hardly. We’re going to let them let us in. It’ll only work if we’re in a pair, mind you…” she grunted. “…ah, okay. We’re good. You take these now.”

Crystal briefly turned around, only to find her hands suddenly full with a Missile Grunt uniform for females. She stared in disbelief as to what was just given to her, but not before she spotted the two grunts stripped down to their underwear. Blushing lightly at the sight, she quickly turned her attention to the outfit again.

“A-Aeron…You…” she stuttered, picking up the cap as though it was defunct, “Y-you’re joking, right…? We’re not going into the base like…”

“Which other way can we go in?” Eru managed as she pulled the male grunt’s top over her head. “Umbree, keep watch, will you?”

“But, Aeron-!”

“Hi, I’m Crystal Hikara. Please kidnap me and throw me in the cage now, please?” the elder sarcastically retorted, adjusting her top so that it wasn’t all bunched up. Crystal flinched, as though she was hit by a dead-on bullet.

“I-I’m getting changed now…” she whimpered. Again she looked to the clothes with nothing but distaste in mind. The worst of it, she decided, was the fact that she had to remove her shirt and shorts in order to fit into the uniform. That, and the outfit revealed stomach. Reluctantly she began to become a Missile Grunt. “… …It kinda smells funny…”

“Ah, suck it up, you big baby,” Eru groaned as she fiddled with her wig.

“I’m showing stomach!”

As the pair dressed, the Umbreon looked away with a heavy sigh. There was some sort of exasperation, more than likely caused from the unnecessary drama.

“Shut it, we gotta get in there somehow…”

Slowly, the rustling of clothes began to die down. The sky slowly grew brighter, yet sunrise was still far off. The Eeveelution offered a long yawn towards the dawn as he shut his eyes and allowed his rings to flash. His nocturnal habits were slowly taking over.

“Okay. Okay, I think we’re good to go. Umbree? We’re good.”

“Umb?” he lazily grunted, forcing his eyes open and turning around. Seeing that the duo were finally done, he fully turned around and appeared alert and at the ready.

Standing before him were Aeron and Crystal, though they were completely in cognito. The younger squirmed in the large clothes; it was especially baggy in the upper chest region, given her lack of maturity. Subconscious of her stomach, she folded her arms in front of her in a futile attempt to hide her skin. Only a strand of her pink bangs could be made out from beneath the plain brown wig.

“Alright, now we’re styling.” Eru gripped her cap and fiddled with her wig a touch more before she appeared fully ready as a male Missile Grunt. Not a single inch of her skin except for her face was revealed by the thick black garb, long rubber gloves and matching boots. “Remember, we’re Missile Grunts. We show respect to our elders, and treat everyone else like dirt. …To the Silph building.”

With the last order Aeron motioned Crystal to follow silently out into the strangely still city. Few cars patrolled the streets and the sounds of people and Pokemon could not be heard. The eerie silence pressed down upon the pair’s shoulders. Each time they passed a Missile Grunt or a pair they would simply give a small nod their way, before looking forward again. Through the corner of her eye, the younger couldn’t help but to glance a touch more nervously towards the grunts they went by.

“So what exactly is the plan?” Crystal murmured as the only building illuminated by lights at the time, Silph Co. Beghta Technology Branch, soared into the sky with its massive form. It was the only ‘skyscraper’ in the city, and was most definitely a landmark for the community that lived there.

“One, we sneak in. Two, we find out where the boss of this operation is lying in wait. Chances are, as I’ve stated before, there’s a Junior Admin at the least waiting for us.” Crystal gulped. She means ‘Chris Johnson by that… “…either that or one of the admins themselves…” Aeron’s words ended in a fierce growl as she somewhat winced at the thought. “If it’s an Administrator other than Kinshayti, I think I may have a tough time.”

“Why?”

“Knowledge is power…I’ve met Kinshayti before in battle. Not that I’m comfortable battling her whatsoever at all, yet that is the regardless fact of the matter…” She cast her muddy eyes sharply to the building. “…I still know of a few of her Pokemon from my encounter with her when I busted you out. If there’s another Administrator…well, it’s going to be a very difficult matter. Still…we have the element of surprise with us. Whilst in disguise, they have no idea who exactly we are. And, by using some of my other team members, they won’t be able to trace them back to me.”

Somewhat confidently, she pulled up a sleek orange ball with a yellow s-shaped zigzag pattern on top of it. She spun the ball lightly on her finger before minimizing it and storing it back on her belt. “Been a while since Midori’s gotten a bit of the spotlight, and I’m still slightly angered with Blaze for that incident…so, hey, why not? He’s probably itchin’ for a kickin’-butt love-fest.”

The last compound words failed to connect together as something plausible for the younger, mainly due to the swear the elder included. With a short sigh, she stared emptily at the building before them. Neither said a word as they exchanged knowing glances with each other. Their eyes soon fell onto the rather formidable guards before them. Curiously, they peered down onto the pair, though suspicion was the last thing they had on their mind.

“Done with your shift?”

“Yeah, we just got back from our shift from the Pokemon Center,” Aeron managed in her lowest, roughest voice possible. Crystal dared a glance to her mentor; she would have never guessed she was not male if she hadn’t known.

“Ah, that was quick,” the other muttered.

“I guess you guys want some rest, huh…alright, you know the drill. Boss wants to hear about all the details. Go on,” the first stepped out of the way as his comrade followed suit.

“Will do,” Aeron nodded and made her way through the double-doors. Crystal was short to follow. I…I can’t believe that actually worked, she thought to herself in slight shock. Cautiously she peered around the Silph building’s lobby; easily more than fifty grunts rested or lulled about. Most were sleeping, but some fought for consciousness, as their assumed shifts would begin soon. The sight greatly unnerved the younger; she found herself fiddling with the wig.

“…that was bad news for us, when they said ‘that was quick’. Our available time for a strike will not be so plentiful as I thought it would be,” Eru whispered to her student.

“Why?”

“They had just sent another pair of grunts to relieve ‘us’, and we probably had passed them on our way here. And that would mean they’re going to know that ‘we’re’ not at our posts, then they’ll find the bodies…and one will surely come running back here and accuse us. Bad, bad news…” she ended with a groan. “Well, we still have some time. Let’s see if we can find where the ‘boss’ is. That way we can head right up to him and destroy him…or her.”

At that, Aeron nudged off in a direction towards two grunts playing a small game of cards, before heading towards the stairs. Nervously, Crystal kept glancing over to her mentor, though she refused to look back in return. Giving a small whine to herself, she soon slunk over to the two men. They were young enough, barely in their twenties, if even that. They had removed their wigs and caps, and casually looked up towards the girl.

“Oh, hey. Just getting back from your shift?” the first answered. His skin was tanned, and his short jet black hair seemed flattened from its normal curly state.

“Uh, y-yeah,” Crystal began slowly, unsure of where to really begin with the whole ‘asking’ business. “Just got back from the Pokemon Center…I…take it you guys got your shift soon?”

“Tch, yeah. Man, that’s a rough shift. Feel bad for you and your partner,” the other replied. He tossed down another card onto the growing pile. His hair had blonde highlights and was dyed a brown color. His skin was pale, yet of a different shade than Crystal’s. “Gonna report in?”

“Yeah…Uh, this may seem like a dumb question, but…where do I sign in? Haha, it was my first night as a grunt…” she lied through her teeth, hoping and praying they would buy it. Well, it’s not a complete lie…this is my first night in a grunt outfit…

Both men glanced up from their game. Crystal felt a sickening jolt run through her body. However, an easy smile graced both of their lips. “Haha! Ah, good to see another newbie besides me,” the dark-skinned man chuckled. “Man, Yosuke, you remember when I was like that, right? When I first joined?”

“Haha, yeah I do, you big oaf. You thought you were the man, and then you whimpered and nearly wet yourself when you met the division boss. A woman, and you were peeing yourself-”

“LIES!” he cried, rage gathering in his veins. “You were the one with the brilliant idea, ‘hey, let’s join Team Missile and get paid millions of Pokedollars so we can pay off college!’ Uh, yeah. Dummy, look what you’ve gotten us into now. And don’t you even LIE, you were the one pissing his pants from Ms. Nersu’s aura…”

“No, you!”

“Augh, like it even matters which of us actually wet ourselves, although it was totally you… …what I don’t get is why we’re stuck here on this mission. I mean, Ms. Nersu’s not even in charge right now of this expedition.”

“Yeah…yeah! I wonder why they mixed our divisions up. Man, the men of his division scare me.” Yosuke tilted his head. “…oh, sorry. We kinda went off in some rambles there. Forgot to introduce ourselves. I’m Yosuke, and this is my partner, Matt.”

“Ah, nice to meet you two…” she shot a nervous glance up and over towards Aeron. Apparently she was having slight difficulty with a man that towered over her. He seemed displeased as she tried to shrug something off. “I-I’m sorry for being so rude, but it seems my partner’s gotten he-himself into trouble,” she hastily corrected herself, before giving a short wave.

“Oh, miss! Wait. One last thing…sixth floor, last door at the end of the hallway.”

“Man, come on. At least give us your name. We’re all in this together…”

Yeah, you may be, but… “Ah, I’ll er, tell you when I’m done checking in, okay? We can talk more then…” she quickly lied as she shuffled off. Some of the grunts were awakening from their slumber as they heard the argument escalate between the real and phony grunt.

“You oughta know exactly where the check-in lodge is by now! We had that pounded into our heads at the beginning! You’re extremely suspicious!”

“Oh, please, don’t humor me. God forbid I daydreamed a little when I was notified of the mission,” Aeron coolly noted. “I’m sure you’ve done the same, huh bro?”

“Don’t you dare call me bro…”

“Ah, is there something the matter?” Crystal whispered to her comrade. Aeron jumped slightly as the girl returned to her side.

“Just big oaf won’t remind me where the check-in point is. Calling me suspicious…” The elder narrowed her eyes dangerously his way. Before she could open her mouth, the younger pat her shoulder hastily.

“Oh, you silly boy…how could you forget it was on the sixth floor?” slyly the young girl laughed, albeit nervously. “I’m sorry, mister, my partner’s awfully forgetful. He really likes daydreaming about that one administrator, Ms. Nersu-”

“I do not!” Aeron defensively gripped at Crystal’s shoulder. Whether or not she was genuinely insulted by the remark or if she was just playing along-

The guard continued to eye the pair dubiously. “…never seen either ones a yah before, anyways…”

Before the elder of the pair could retort, a yell from the doorway outside caught their attention. The younger winced as she heard her mentor let out a low cuss. The grunt busted inside, panting from presumably sprinting from the Pokemon Center to the Silph building.

“There…there are intruders here! The Center grunts…they…were knocked out…”

Immediately eyes fell onto the pair. Crystal gulped, inching a touch closer to Aeron as all grunts that were awake began walking towards them. The burly grunt before them cracked his knuckles.

“Aw, yeah, action time…” he smirked, before charging headlong towards Aeron. She ducked barely in time to miss his raging fist, and scooted close in. With all her momentum, she swung her fist up perfectly into his chin. That was more than enough for the man; his head tilted back at some unpleasant angle and he staggered back before collapsing on the ground.

Before there could be more reaction, Aeron let one of her Pokeballs slip from her hand. “Freya, support move Smokescreen, right away!” she ordered firmly, yet with a sense of urgency. The brilliant flash immediately died down to nothing but smoke as the Flareon was released and she let loose the smog. Before the entire room was covered, Aeron gripped Crystal’s hands and tore up the stairs. At the top, she quickly uttered her return call and Freya disappeared back inside her home.

As they began their ascent, the elder hastily questioned the gifted girl. “So sixth floor?”

“Y-yeah,” Crystal panted as she fought to keep up with her mentor. “Last door at the…the end of the hallway, app…apparently…”

“Tch! How typical…you get any other good info from those two?”

“…I don’t…I don’t think it’s Kinshayti waiting up there for us…They said…they said the other division admin is in charge, if I’m right…”

At that, Aeron stopped dead in her tracks at the third floor. She stared for a moment, glaring deep into the younger’s eyes. “You’ve…got to be kidding me.”

“N-no, unfortunately.”

Fury and exhaustion bubbled up in Eru’s face. Breathing in deeply, her frustration was taken out in one long sigh. “Perfect,” she groaned, gripping her temples.

“They couldn’t have gone too far! Come on!”

The sound of approaching footsteps made both of the faux peons leap. Aeron swore heavily again as she pushed Crystal onwards towards the stairs. It wasn’t too long before they spotted the mob of Missile Grunts behind them.

“Go on ahead to the sixth floor, Crystal. Come on, get a little ahead of me…I’ll block em on the stairwell.”

“Wh-what?! G-go right up into where the boss is waiting?!”

“You’ll get in the way if I have to protect you in the immediate sense. Just wait up there and find someplace to hide, okay? I’ll block their progress as best I can…”

Unwillingly Crystal was shoved upwards still as Aeron stood at the top of floor four and five’s staircase. Stumbling from her tiredness, she heard the sounds of two Pokeballs breaking open, followed by a dozen or more. Shouts echoed through the stairwell as the wannabe grunt catcalled her opponents and attacked them with her Pokemon.

At last, the large yellow ‘6’ greeted her eyes; the final floor of the building awaited her patiently. Still hearing the cries of battle a floor below her, she nervously gripped the doorknob and entered the main hallway of the president’s floor. As the large door closed behind her, only the hum of electricity could be heard from the hallway. The eerie silence made Crystal’s stomach turn into knots. Her stomach then plummeted a few more inches down into her body as she noticed that there were only two doors in the hallway. The first was, as noted by the strange grunts, at the end of the hallway, but the other lead to the secretary’s desk. A door could be seen connecting the two offices together. There was nowhere to hide.

That sinking feeling worsened if it was possible as the door leading to the Missile head of their ‘expedition’ began to open. The young girl hastily glanced left and right, trying to think of some sort of way to escape. Her breath was still labored, and she prayed that the two intruders had not been radioed in to the main boss. She dipped her head, exhausted and not so willing to see what was going to happen.

“…hey, you! Grunt!” Crystal reluctantly glanced up. A man with red rings on his grunt suit peered over at her. “Are you here to report about the intruders?!”

“U-uh, yeah,” she nodded slowly, kicking herself for such a poor mental response. Then again, certain trouble awaited her down in the stairwell. It was a matter of picking which evil… “Th-they were phonies that took down the Pokemon Center team…”

“Come inside immediately. Admin Morovich wishes to hear about this in more detail at once.” The grunt wasted no time in opening the door abruptly and holding it wide open. Still kicking herself, Crystal managed to stand straight and wander in. Under the higher-up grunt’s eye, she was still walking relatively fast, yet each moment sluggishly continued onwards.

The CEO’s office was designed in a stereotypical fashion; the major feature of the room was the abnormally large mahogany desk. A few chairs had been pulled in front of the desk. A large shelving unit towered behind the desk, holding all sorts of awards, certificates and degrees for the company. A massive, open window carried in the morning breeze gently. The young girl chanced a nervous glance out the window; the entire city of Sunrise was visible from the looks of it, she decided.

The most notable part of the room was not the actual features or furniture, but the burly man standing behind the desk. As soon as Crystal jogged in, the man turned around. Morovich stood at an easy six foot, perhaps more, easily towering over the phony grunt. His pale, icy blue hair was kept neatly trimmed. Only a few hairs were longer, which covered the back of his neck and the highest part of his broad forehead. He darted his hazel eyes over; Crystal slunk nervously back at the piercing cool blue and gold eyes. They reminded her every bit of Kinshayti’s eyes. Yet, still, there’s something familiar about him…maybe he’s a cousin of hers…?

After fixing a small crease in his jet black administrator suit, he hastily began. “Grunt, what is the matter? We’re busy undergoing preparations to hold the target here.”

The target…he must mean me, Crystal gulped. Sweat rolled down her face as she found it more difficult to breathe. “S-sir, two phony grunts have infiltrated the b-building, and I-I was told to tell you immediately about it…” she offered meekly, hoping and praying that he would take that as a viable answer.

Instead, a queer look came over his eyes, as he rushed out from behind the desk. “What do you mean, there are intruders? Are you all so stupid as to let in some fools that just dress like us?!”

“I-I’m sorry, sir!” she hastily stuttered automatically.

“Where are they now?”

“T-there was one stationed at the top of the stairwell on floor five, sir. We are unsure of where the other is…”

At once, his eyes turned sharper as he continuously glared at her. “They were blocking the stairwell…?”

“Y-yes, sir…”

“What sort of Pokemon did the intruder have?”

“Ah, I’m…unsure, sir…” Crystal’s heart pounded in her throat. It was the truth, but something told her that was the wrong thing to say. “I managed to get in front of her before she blocked off the stairwell…”

“…I see…quaint, though…” he began, moving closer to the girl. She had to force herself not to play with the wig. “…how you claim the figure on the stairs is female, even though I’ve heard from countless radio reports that ‘she’ was a ‘he’, and one of the intruders is missing.” Crystal nearly felt herself becoming dizzy. “Furthermore, not a single grunt managed to get in front of the intruders…so…my question is…”

With a swipe of his hand, Morovich easily batted the phony grunt down and away. She yelped, adrenaline pumping faster as her cap and wig came off with the motion. She found herself unable to breathe as her diaphragm paralyzed up from the rough impact. Hastily she crawled away with a weak cough, trying not to look back.

“As I thought,” the administrator gave a cold chuckle. At that, Crystal couldn’t help herself; she flipped herself onto her back end, attempting to scurry to her feet. At once he hesitated, seemingly surprised by the fact that their victim was, in fact, one of the intruders. Somewhat cautiously, he looked her over. “…Crystal Hikara…that’s one bit I didn’t expect…”

“S-stay away from me,” she whimpered, her hand reaching down for the singular, odd Pokeball clinging to her belt. She rose it up, quivering gently. “I-I’ll paralyze you all…!”

“…Cute,” he hummed apathetically. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for a while. I’d like to see what you can do, girl.” Somewhat nervously, the gifted girl continued to hold the orb in front of her, as though it was a loaded water pistol.

“Dragola! I need your help to get out of here!” Crystal eagerly whispered, and within a moment the Dratini materialized. Anxiously the creature gazed around the room. She appeared confused as she noticed Crystal was in a Grunt outfit, amongst other Team Missile members.

“…Miss Crystal, what’s going on…?”

“Quick, use your Thunderwave so we can get out of here…!”

“I don’t think that will be necessary. Ensure they don’t escape, Amazon.” Morovich coolly unlatched the only regular Pokeball from his side and dropped it. He took a single step back as a blue creature with yellow gills was released. Golden eyes similar to his master’s peered down onto the little Dratini. With little hesitation he opened his mouth, giving a low growl. His intimidating navy fins stretched up on his head and tail as he rose to his hind legs.

“Thunderwave, quick,” Crystal ushered Dragola, and the little serpent reluctantly followed the command. The weak waves of lightning collided with the gargantuan evolution of Mudkip, yet it simply stood its ground. A sly smirk crossed the Swampert’s face. “W-what?”

“Tch, tch, tch. Pity you don’t know a single thing about Pokemon, girl. Amazon, don’t give them a chance.”

Amazon gave a fierce roar, and took to all fours again. White light began to seep out of his mouth, along with mist. Before Crystal could react, a thin beam of cold air and ice was fired straight into the Dratini. A high-pitched shriek came from the serpent as she was forced into her trainer’s arms, knocked clean unconscious. The force of the attack still in motion slammed the two of them back into the wall. The gifted girl cried as she was pinned to the wall by a thin layer of ice. Feeling numb, she shivered as she fought for breath.

The Administrator was about to say something to the peon nearby, yet he frowned as he heard the door being bashed upon violently. The sound of sheer metal being sliced in two startled him as he turned around. Even Amazon narrowed his eyes towards the door as it bulged in. The white mist once again began pouring out of his mouth. More metal from the hinges fell out of the door, being diced down from the other side as though nothing. Then, at last, the door caved in to one final ram of the shoulder.

Chaos. The second the door fell to the new intruder, the Ice Beam flew through the air at the opening, this time far wider in diameter. Within seconds flames danced upwards and countered the beam with ease. Whilst the dangerous beam was being held off, a green and red creature sprinted in. Leaves spread over his body; the longest leaf, the one on his head, curled in anticipation. Giving a sly smirk, he sped over to the beast with Quick Attack before raising his claws. The once flexible blades of nature on his wrists suddenly snapped and became rigid. As fast as he had lifted his arm, he swiped it down, before following with his other claw.

Amazon bellowed in pain, staggering back as he gripped at where he had been stricken. Slight amounts of blood trickled down past his hands. Angrily, he opened his mouth for another Ice Beam, but not before the grass lizard shot forward in pursuit. Again he swiped at him, leaves piercing his thick scaly skin. He leapt onto him as the Swampert staggered about. With the motion, the water-ground type fell back, completely unconscious. The victorious creature folded his arms impatiently as he prodded the monster beneath him with his hind claws.

As the battle insued between Pokemon, the administrator soon had one angered Aeron up in his face. Within a millisecond she had closed the gap on the two, and gotten a clean strike on his cheek. He only allowed himself a moment of surprise, before gripping her shoulder and driving his fist straight into her stomach. Even the mighty fire trainer couldn’t avoid the punch; she spluttered as she fought for her breath. Attempting to shake it off best she could, the other intruder used the distance she had created to drive her foot straight into the lower stomach of the grunt. His reaction to catch her foot was a second too slow. However, as he collapsed from the just near miss, he dragged Eru down with him.

Sensing his trainer in danger, the Grovyle glanced over after he was done stepping all over his prey. He let out a hiss of displeasure as he darted over. Curling his claws in, he brought his fist down upon Morovich’s tight grasp on Aeron’s leg. The grass type was very swift to gingerly pull his trainer away from harm’s way, before standing with his leaf blades at the ready. He hissed again, daring Morovich to send out another Pokemon.

Freya, after the Swampert had been eliminated, quickly dashed over to Crystal’s side. “You dummy, what the heck were you thinking?!” she growled before opening her mouth just barely. A Flamethrower with the intensity of a candle’s flame soon shot out, beginning to melt the ice.

“I…I didn’t have a choice in the matter,” Crystal weakly muttered.

“Just shut it for now. We know…” the Flareon muttered between her slow attacks. She hesitated as one of the younger trainer’s arms was freed; the Missile Administrator had returned to his feet, along with Eru. Soon a Quick Ball had been risen in his hand. The grass type leaned forward in anticipation, but backed off as he sent it straight through the window with a mighty crash. A giant, purple bat rose from outside of the building, bearing sharp teeth and four silent wings. He floated there, ethereally, as though he wasn’t real from the lack of noise he created. However, within a moment he opened his dangerous mouth. The high pitched shriek caused from the Supersonic broke the rest of the gigantic window away, save for a few shards. All other Pokemon and humans, minus his master, groaned and coiled from the attack, trying to spare their ears the agony of the confusing sound-waves.

Morovich, still gripping his stomach, peered around the room as he recalled Amazon. “I’m…surprised, trainer. I’m surprised that your Grovyle would so quickly attack a human. If I didn’t know you to be a fake, I would surely say you’d have what it takes to be a real member of Team Missile.”

“Keep your flattery to yourself,” Aeron coughed as she gripped her stomach. A small smirk graced her features. “I have no problem kicking in the right place this time…or do you plan on running away, like the cowards you are?”

“Smarter to live another day rather than to die in battle, if you ask me,” he grunted, nearing the window. Both the Grovyle and Flareon neared closer to him, eyes narrowed. He pulled out a small device from his belt, one that appeared to be a small walkie-talkie. He clicked the button on the left side down, and rose it to his slightly stubble-ridden face. “This is Admin Morovich. We cannot succeed in our mission today. Evacuate immediately from the city.” Once again, those peculiar eyes fell onto Crystal, then to Aeron. “…I’m sure we’ll meet again, but next time, prepare your coffin and funeral, bitch.”

“What, for when I die of laughter on how pathetic your team was? Please, go die in a fire. Maybe it’d suit a coward,” Aeron coldly retorted, straightening up. “Now, I’ll give you to the count of two to get outta here before I have Freya roast you to well done.”

“…hahaha. That was a poor move, naming your Pokemon for us. …very well. Farewell, trainer.” At that, he climbed into the window with ease, and leapt, barely avoiding a Flamethrower from the Eeveelution. Knowing what happened, the displeased trainer slowly strode over to the window; the Crobat soon was speeding off, Morovich secure on his back. The once pesky cockroaches that had invaded the city soon scurried off, taking to the woods like frightened prey. Aeron breathed in heavily, trying to sigh, but not before she coughed once more.

“Aeron, a-are you alright?!” Crystal managed, trying to pull more of the ice off herself.

“Yeah, I’ll be…hack! Fine…jerk got me better than I thought he would, that’s all,” she mumbled as she rubbed her lips with the back of her wrist. Her chestnut eyes dropped to the grass lizard. “…and just what the hell was all that about back there, Midori? Attacking him like that! You know how it goes, human to human ONLY.”

Midori, pretending to be deaf, casually tottered along towards the young girl. He peered up curiously, before turning to Freya. “…so, should I slice this bad girl up a bit, or what?”

“Uh, no, Midori, unless you want Aeron to be furious with you for the rest of your life for hurting her student,” the fire type coolly noted.

“Tch…! She took a student under her wing? Why?”

“It’s…complicated.”

“Enough trying to dilly-dally, Midori. I’ll have Crystal talk your ear off after this, but I need you to support move Brick Break her out of there, got it?” As the elder trainer spoke, she distastefully tore her cap and wig off. At once she dug her fingers through her dark hair. The Grovyle peered his mistress’s way, as though about to be disobedient, but he pushed his claws together. In one smooth move without even looking, he pounded the ice in three different spots with incredible speed, shattering it completely. Crystal yelped as she tumbled to the ground, Dragola still in arm. Freya pounced over, eyeing the Dratini, before yipping up towards Aeron. The younger girl couldn’t help but clutch the poor serpent tightly, feeling wholly guilty for what she had intentionally caused.

“…not doing too well, huh…Alright, let’s head over to the Pokemon Center, stat, to get her all healed up.” The fire trainer rubbed her upper stomach a touch more, before recalling her Pokemon. “…a good show of tearing so many nasty peons up works up an appetite, too.”

Crystal didn’t lift her eyes up to even gaze at her mentor. All she could bear to look at was poor, shivering Dragola. I’m sorry, Dragola…it was all my fault…

So, very soon RQO will have Part 1 completed! I have like 90% of Chapter 10 done right now, and Chapter 11 will be very easy to get done at this rate. :3 But man oh man I hate kinda sorta how the chapters have gotten outta hand. >_> I give up trying to make them 10 pages, lololol. Maybe in the next part I can at least bring it down to a more even 12 pages sorta thing. Whatevs.

Anyways, after 10 and 11 are posted (Tuesdays seem to be a good day for me. Hmm...), I will hopefully have the RQOcast ready for the following Tuesday. It may take another week or so at that, to really prepare and get in last minute questions! Oh and sum artzes surprises. Soon we'll be able to get to part 2; Part 2 is more character introduction and development, plus some action, but after that part's done we'll DEFINITELY be getting on towards the more fun chapters with plottwists and the like. But that's only after I get some bizness done. ;D So there may be a break with RQO after the RQOcast.

Feel free to add more questions if you have them! I'll be trying to answer them all in my mini RQOcast thing. TEEHEE.

BTW, show of hands- who would like Kiyo, my co-writer, to potentially make a stop in on the next RQOcast (for part 2) via the phone? >D

Kiyo is an awesome person who should come here more often. So yes, bring on the Kiyo :>

It's hard to post my opinion when we have talked about it so much in the chat room.

I don't feel awesome enough to tell you how your writing is doing. I know it is still a cut above mine--the way you tore up my epilogue is proof of that--and the main part of that is description, which I seem to have no trouble with as long as I am writing about something silly like Crystal being hit on by a hairy Ash.

Uh... uh...

/me juggles

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME

Crystal Hikara said:
BTW, show of hands- who would like Kiyo, my co-writer, to potentially make a stop in on the next RQOcast (for part 2) via the phone? >D

...but...butnooooo... (Also, PMJ, you're too sweet.)

Also, cool chapter, bro. You already received my commentary on that elsewhere. :p

Omgosh this is amazing. I love the story so far and I just read all the chapters. Keep writing I love it so much!

Yo Homey-C, what up?

/me runs

So I haven't posted in here for a while, and I guess I may as well, even though since we talk so much on the chat it's hard to come up with what to say here :S

There were some odd phrases when I read this through (in my mind at least), mostly being one word that was unusual/not used how I would expect to read it in the line. But I forgot exactly where they were, and I don't have time nor patience to look them up again now. So maybe I will do so at some point :S

Regarding your podcast, you HAVE to get some lines from your own character down girl... especially if you tag your "mentor" along too ;D

And I guess at least this time Crystal would have a legit reason to cry! Poor Dragola :(

So yeah, that's my post. Take it or leave it, idc ;D

PMJ: *gets out the sharp razor blades* >0

Anyways, that's one for the co-writer! Your days are numbered now, Kiyo. BWAHAHAHA. Also I guess I should stfu about RQO in the chat for a while huh X3

Kiyo: OH MY GOD YOU ACTUALLY POSTED SOMETHING?!

ALSO YESSSS BUTYESSS. You know how I feel about that but word missy >0 Are you really going to neglect your fans?!
And yes yes I have received your sparse commentary on the subject. :B

Freak: Whoaaaa new reader! Sweet deals. Freak gets a cookie for reading all of that in like a few sittings or something. XD Thanks, and I hope you'll keep reading!

gamercal: BEWARE THE ACID, PARAS! OH NOES! XD

*runs away as well*

Again, I should try and avoid chat just for a little more these days so discussion can be had properly. XD

Anyways, you'll have to point that out; you'll probably be right about it. :B

Hahaha, noted. AN OFFICIAL REQUEST FOR CRAPPY VOICE ACTING IS GOOOOO! Also it seems we have another that wants you to show off your slavedriver self Kiyo or something of the like ;D

Yeahhhh, Crystal has a lot of good reasons to cry for like the first few parts of the story. X3 There will be other parts, granted, but few and far in between. So I promise, bear with this facade for a bit more! Also took the post lololol. :B

-~-

At laaaaast, we get towards the end of Part 1. As should have been expected by now, each end of the many parts will (for the most part) end in important battles, nameably those of the Gym Leaders. Who is the first Gym Leader? Well, before it used to be Forrest Ridgebrook, a fan character submitted by Baigon of ol' POL, but now I can definitely tell you that it won't be him; I've removed all fan-submitted characters for the story.

Also, something seem a little odd to older fans of the series? Hmmm...yeah, a certain weed hasn't been found, huh...? I wonder where this will lead to? >D

Regardless, this chapter [accidentally] got changed a lot. I blame, uh, having to separate Chapter 1 up for this! >> Eh he he! I really tried to take advantage of this chapter for character development...not to mention I wanted to get Crystal closer to her Pokemon this time around. (God I hope I get this right...) So yeah, deal with some less-than-spectatular action this time around. ;D

Chapter 10: The Battle

“Whoa. Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Slow down, you.”

“Nnngh.”

“Where do you think you’re going, now?”

“…to the gym?”

“Uh, no you don’t, dummy. Did you see how quickly you were taken down by your lack of knowledge against that administrator? A gym’s nothing to sneeze at. Take it from someone that lost their first gym battle. You can’t go skipping all happy-go-lucky to the gym, especially after what just happened.”

Crystal hesitated at that, backing up so that her bag wasn’t digging into her lower neck. Her sky blue eyes fell onto the fire trainer holding her back; her smirk had completely disappeared from their lunch session.

“Not to mention it’s not the brightest of ideas to go in challenging the gym when you don’t even have a trainer card yet. You’re gonna need one from now on, you know.”

The gifted girl found herself even less willing to budge from her spot. “…my trainer card…?”

Aeron groaned at that, hiding her head in her hand. Slowly she shook her head. “I’m in continuous disbelief of you, Crystal. Continuous disbelief…that’s it, I’m going to get you a copy of ‘Pokemon Training for Dummies’. It ought to fit you perfectly…or are you going to tell me you can’t read, either-”

“Aeron!” Crystal cried out, her face turning a bright red. “You’re really mean! Of course I can read! I can read probably more words than you can! My mom wasn’t dumb- she sent me to school after all-”

“Man, you can’t take a joke either, huh…hahaha.” Finally the fire trainer submerged from the depths of her hand, her cocky smile returning. “…a trainer card is your lifeline as you journey. It’s your identity. It’s the thing that prevents other trainers from completely copying you and trying to ruin your glory or get some for themselves…”

“I know what a trainer card is,” Crystal huffed, cheeks still stained a heavy pink. “I just…I thought they handed them out to you when you got your first badge.”

Aeron gave a short snicker at that. “Oh, is that what Momma told you, hun? Man, it’s a really good thing you have me around.” Still gripping her by the shoulder, the mentor directed her student back into the center. “…Paperwork, kid. Paperwork. Becoming a trainer is a terrible, painful process. She probably figured that since the paperwork could confuse a grade B defense attorney, you’d go runnin’ home to her in sad, sad defeat after a day.”

“W-wait, but if a lawyer couldn’t understand it…”

“Hyperbole. Relax. I had to go through this myself. My brothers completely forced independent registration on me until I got it right. Selfish jerks, but it taught me all of the sections. I’ll show you the tricks for it. …reminds me, I need to re-register my card. That’s a whole ‘nother story as it is…”

Crystal glumly gazed down at her sneaker-clad feet as they strode forward. Aeron’s voice trailed off, perhaps sensing that the girl was feeling down and needed a moment of non-satirical silence for herself. So…Mom thought that I would fail at the paperwork, so I couldn’t become a real trainer…that was her plan, all along, then…? The marbled tile beneath her feet became stationary as she stopped walking forward. She didn’t want me to go. I know that much. Even Aeron had a rough time of convincing her otherwise. But…is she right to do that? …does she really want me not to let myself down like that…? I…I guess it’s possible…

The black-haired tomboy frowned, turning to the blonde. She scratched her scalp gently. “…there’s that look again…” she grumbled. “Now what?”

“Just…” Crystal began, her hand reaching down to her right side slowly. The sleek, black orb that held the dragon type rested comfortably into her hand. As she plucked the Pokeball off its magnetic strip, her finger nudged against the capsule button and enlarged it to its normal size. Melancholy eyes soullessly gazed back as she looked deep into the reflection of the ball. “…I mean, Dragola was badly hurt because of me…because I was so dumb back there…because…I really don’t know what I’m doing, huh…?”

“You could say that,” the mentor slowly offered to the child. Once again she sighed. “Are we gonna get the papers or not?”

The gifted girl stopped everything. All she could stand to look at was the orb in her hand. Everything was a mixed message. “…I’m…going to go to the room for a bit to think.”

“If I find you crying there, so help me…”

“A-Aeron!”

“I love how you react so strongly to what is supposed to be teasing,” Eru sarcastically waved her hand, before slipping the younger trainer the card key. “Be sure to lock up behind you, and don’t be too long. If we’re going to go through the paperwork to get your trainer card, we’re going to need a few hours to crunch through everything.” Graciously, though without lifting her aquamarine gaze, Crystal received the key and nodded meekly at her teacher. Without another word, she slipped off into the back part of the center. Soon their room came into view, and before she could remember how, she had allowed herself in and locked the door securely behind her.

The room was chilly, with the late morning breeze bringing in the steadily warming air from outside. The blonde twiddled with her hair, before sluggishly moving over to the windowsill and shutting it down tight. She allowed her eyesight to go vague as she stared out the window; she focused on no particular point as she found herself in deep thought again.

Did…that really happen this morning? All of that craziness with Team Missile…? I can’t believe we actually…no, Aeron did all of the work. All I did was get myself in trouble. Me, and Dragola…Solemnly, she darted her eyes down to the singular Pokeball on her belt. …it’s really all my fault for everything that’s happened to me thus far. I’m just having really poor, bad luck.

What are you doing, Crystal?!
her inner monologue countered her angsty ‘voice’. She shook her head, attempting to remove herself of such negative thoughts. As she listened to her voice of reason, she slowly allowed herself to sink down onto the bottom mattress again. Ryouo and Kira would have your head for thinking such negative thoughts. There’s nothing you could have done, in any sort of situation. You would have encountered Team Missile sooner or later, and you most definitely would have fallen victim to them, no matter what happened. If anything, you were lucky to have Aeron help you out. That is something to be thankful for.

But…what about Dragola?
The pessimistic voice proposed. She never had a say in all of this…Once again, she found herself gawking dumbly at her reflection in the Onyx Pokeball. She was taken away from her home, and I haven’t been able to do one notable thing for her yet. All she’s done is suffered by my hands…

Then do something about it!

The last voice made the girl smile. It was not that of her own thoughts, but of a memory of Ryouo pushing her to ask for freedom about a month ago. The shadow of the elder Hikara brother soon became the clarifying voice of reason in her mind.

He’s right. I’m sure there’s something I can do for Dragola to make up for that. I shouldn’t dwell too much on it. Besides, he was a Missile Administrator. There’s no way I should have expected much of anything from a complete newbie as myself against a very experienced man like him…

Shaking the somewhat scary-sounding thoughts of just how experienced this man was from her mindset, she lifted the ball before her. “…hey, Dragola? Can you come on out for a moment?” There was a brief pause. The ball remained shut. “…Hey, I’d just like to talk to you about what happened. …please?”

Reluctantly it seemed, the capsule flipped open. Soon the Dratini with the bizarre genetic hornspot slunk around to face Crystal. Her amethyst eyes held nothing but disappointment.

“…hi Miss Crystal…” she muttered weakly, finding the wall facing away from her trainer to be fascinating. If possible, her wyvern ears drooped slightly.

“Hey, I said you don’t have to call me that…look, I just have to say, Dragola…”

“I’m sorry!” Suddenly the dragon wailed, squirming her way over to her trainer’s side. “Miss Crystal, I’m so sorry! I-I just couldn’t…couldn’t do anything against h-him, and I let you down, and…”

The blonde gawked at that. Upon instinct she rose her hand up to her hair and began nervously fiddling with it. “W-wait, what are you talking about?!”

“A-against that meany man,” Dragola sniffled, face buried deep within her trainer’s side. “Y-you wanted me to paralyze that big blue monster, but I couldn’t…I’m no good at fighting at all…”

“H-hey, stop that right now, Dragola…” Crystal had to force back her tears; her empathy was kicking into overdrive and she felt close to springing a leak just from listening to the serpent. She ran her fingers over her light blue scales, attempting to calm the creature. “It…it was my fault to bring you into that whole mess in the first place. I’m just a complete newbie when it comes to battling. I had no idea what I was doing, and you got hurt because I thought that I could maybe take an administrator on, on my own. I’m the one that should be apologizing…”

“B-but Miss Crystal!” Dragola lifted her head up from beneath her mistress’s arm. Her large violet eyes dangerously watered over. “I still should have been able to paralyze that meany’s Pokemon! I couldn’t even do that! And, down at the small lake, I couldn’t properly protect you…!”

“But both instances I put myself into danger, not you… …god, I cannot believe that we’re arguing about this…”

“…Miss Crystal,” the Pokemon whined, but the trainer had had enough; she rose her hand, attempting to clear her mind.

“Crystal. Just…Crystal. I’m your friend, not your absolute master or anything like that,” the blonde began, still calmly petting the Dratini. “It was both of our faults for being so rash and inexperienced. We both expected too much of ourselves, and I think I’m mainly to blame for that. A trainer’s the one that leads their Pokemon around, right? Well, then I’m responsible.”

“But, but-!”

“No, no buts,” Crystal beamed gently, before calmly rubbing Dragola’s ears. The Dratini cooed, leaning into her touch. “What can I do to help make up for it? For my errors?”

“Mmm, that feels pretty good,” the dragon-type absently noted, leaning into the touch.

“Haha, does it?”

“Yep!”

“So what do you want me to do to help make up for my mistakes, Dragola…?”

“Uhm…uhh…” she trailed off, simply leaning into her hand. “…just reminds me of Mommy, that’s all.”

“You really seem to love your mom, huh Dragola?”

“Yeah…” At last, the little dragon pulled sadly away from the head scratching. She closed her eyes, casting a dim light on the topic. “I kinda miss her, you know? I know she probably misses me, too. Home’s so far away from here. I really miss my friends…”

“…I know. I miss my home, too…I can’t go back for a similar reason to you.”

“Y-yeah? Why is that?”

“You know those meanies, right? Team Missile?”

At that, the dragon slunk back. “…they’re really mean meanies,” she grumbled. “Why do they have to be so mean to us, Crystal?”

“I’m… honestly not sure. I think it has something to do with the fact that I can talk to Pokemon like you so easily.” Crystal heaved a heavy sigh, allowing herself to fall back down onto the bed. Once again, the smell of the many other trainers and Pokemon that had stayed a night in the room flowed into her nose. She dumbly gazed up to the ceiling above her, the bottom of the top bunk. The wood swirled in some ambiguous pattern, as though it was the metaphorical Team Missile they had to face. “I’m not sure why they need me, either, but I know it’s not good. They’re after me, and they’re not going to stop until I’m captured. So if I can help it, Aeron’s going to help me avoid them…but to keep my family safe, I have to lead them far away from there. It’s so I can protect them, you know? And…I want to help protect you as well, Dragola. I wanna help protect you because you saved my life, and I want you to be able to visit home again one day.”

The Dratini froze at those words, as though she had been hit with another Ice Beam. Dangerously her eyes welded up with tears. “W-what? I didn’t…I’m sorry, Dragola,” Crystal hastily began, sitting up and bumping her head in the process. “Ow…I didn’t mean to make you cry…”

“M-m…Crystal,” she muttered, before snaking around her entire body. Soon the dragon had tightly wrapped herself around the girl, cuddling deep into her arms. “Th-thank you! Thank you for helping me like this! I’m…I’m going to try my hardest for you!” she squealed, squeezing her trainer more.

“Ack! Dragola! What did I even…”

“You’re going to promise to make me into a big Dratini, Dragonair or Dragonite that will make Mom proud, right?”

“O-of course. I’ll do anything to help you out if you’re helping me out…”

“Th-then let’s do whatever it is we have to do and give our bestest towards everything!” Dragola firmly nodded. “I’ll fight my hardest for you Crystal! So whenever you’re ready, I’ll be ready for battle, and I’ll give it my all for you!” the dragon finished, cuddling closer into her trainer’s arms. Crystal gasped for air, but couldn’t help but laugh.

“Alright, then, haha…you ready to start a gym challenge, then?”

“Ooooh, a gym challenge?”

“We get to battle the eight strongest trainers known as Gym Leaders throughout the region. We’ll battle them-“

“Oh, you don’t have to tell me anything about Gym Leaders, silly. Mommy already told me everything about her master, who is a Gym Leader, so you don’t need to tell me that.”

Crystal paled at that. …note to self, do not anger Dragola’s mother until strong enough to take her on. “Ah, o-okay. We’ll be going against the Sunrise Leader first.”

“When?”

“Uh…well, maybe this afternoon…I have to fill out some paperwork first…”

“Then let’s go to it!” Dragola boldly noted, unwrapping herself. “I’ll do my best as soon as I can!” Again, Crystal found herself with a contagious, near-never-ending smile plastered on her face as she leapt up towards the door.

“Yeah! Let’s!” the girl cheered, offering out the Pokeball for her Pokemon. At once the Dratini cried out in enthusiasm, before disappearing inside. As soon as Crystal stepped outside, she leapt as Aeron as curtly waiting right behind her.

“Done with your pretty little sob story yet?” the elder jeered, knocking a single finger against the younger’s red cheeks. Crystal easily brushed her finger away. “What’s the verdict of your emo corner time?”

“Let’s fill out the paperwork…and then go to the gym right away as soon as my trainer card is done!” the gifted girl firmly stated, a small confidence building in her gut. However, Aeron simply sighed, shook her head and jabbed her finger into her student’s gut to deflate her.

“Come on, then…don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

* * *​

The greenhouse dome rose high above their eyes, transparent yet reflecting the sunlight off its glass surface. ‘Sunrise City Gym’ had been etched in above the entrance for one to clearly read. Ba-dump, ba-dump. Crystal’s heart raced faster at the site of the massive battling arena. With each passing second, she flipped the brand-new trainer card over in her hand. Her picture, armed with a giant smile, graced the front of the light-blue and white card, along with the ID number ‘5301445’. The back held her scrawled, loopy signature- the signature that sealed her fate to being that of a Pokemon trainer. She nervously glanced over to Aeron; unlike the girl, she stood tall, firm and calm. Her muddy brown eyes darted over, and the elder forced a smirk.

“I can see you shakin’ in your sneaks there, kid. You alright?” she mused playfully.

“Don’t call me, me kid,” Crystal stuttered. “I-It’s a lot bigger than I remember it being, that’s all…”

“Well, it is normal to be nervous first match. I’ve been there…” Aeron returned her gaze to the building. Next to the tidily kept entrance stood a formidable wood sign that had been artistically crafted. “‘Sunrise City Gym, Leader Sylvia Syrakos. The Angelic Fairy of Grass Types!’, huh…” she read out loud, thumbing her chin gently. “Sounds like great fun. Let’s get in there.”

“M-maybe I’m not ready after all, haha, hahaha…” the younger chuckled weakly, abruptly turning around and taking a few steps towards the Pokemon Center. It wasn’t long before her mentor had inched forward to grab her and pull her back by her backpack. “Nngh.”

“You’re really gonna Feline out? Uh, no…no you…” Eru found herself distracted and unable to finish her sentence; as though someone had tapped her on the top of her head, she glanced upwards and rubbed at her scalp. She blinked as a drop of moisture landed on her nose. At once she wiped it away. It was Crystal’s turn to notice as the raindrop landed on her arm. Small parts of the bare ground suddenly darkened, turning light for a moment, before another drop fell and made the earth wet. The gentle sound of rain began to pitter-patter on the glass dome. Aeron cursed beneath her breath, pulling Crystal harder towards the gym.

“Hell if you think you’re gonna sprint to the center before we get down-poured on. Hell no, I’m not gonna babysit you and your hypothermia,” she grunted, redirecting her to the gym. “Now get in there, before we both get soaked to the bone. It’s picking up very quickly…”

“Aeron,” Crystal whined, but had no choice; as the fire trainer had noted, the slight drizzle soon escalated into a steady stream of rain. Before she allowed herself to become drenched any further, she quickly opened the manual doors to the gym and ducked inside. Aeron wasn’t too far behind.

A blast of warm, slightly muggy air greeted the two trainers as they entered. The lobby was tidy, decorated with a vast number of potted plants and general flora. Spherical lights hung from above their heads, illuminating the entranceway to the gym. Nervously the blonde began fiddling with her hair, twirling it around her fingers several times until her mentor batted at her hand and chided her for such a habit. Aeron took a few more steps forward, eyes thoroughly scanning the light green lobby.

“…huh…no receptionist? Forgot that smaller gyms don’t have a waiting line for this sort of thing…” she mentioned under her breath, striding over to a sign secured behind thick glass. “Let’s see… ‘please ring for receptionist at your convenience. We will be with you in less than a minute to register you for your challenge. We ask that you leave any flammable items or Pokemon unnecessary for the challenge behind with the receptionist.’ Oh, bull- you aren’t going to have me leaving three of my Pokemon behind that easily…” she scoffed, before allowing her eyes to dart around for another moment. “Ah, there’s the button. Go on, champ-in-the-making, press it.”

Crystal bit her lip and rose her hand to her hair, but not before Aeron could bat it down within a split second. Uneasily the gifted girl sluggishly made her way over to the receptionist’s desk. A kelley green button the size of her palm patiently shone on the desk, inviting her to press it. Not even a smudge could be seen on its sleek surface. She gave one last futile glance to Eru, pleading not to go through with this; the fire trainer rolled her eyes and gave a shooing motion towards the button. Again the newbie glanced at the button, and with everything in her gut saying otherwise, she depressed it.

The sound of chimes echoed throughout the room. The party questioned the noise, with Crystal nearly leaping at the unexpected sound and Aeron raising her eyebrow. The chimes died down, leaving the peaceful music of rain falling down on the building to their ears again. Not a soul could be heard approaching through the halls, nor was anyone coming from the gym, as Aeron proved with a peek inside. Restlessly the younger trainer began pacing, fiddling with her hair once more. The elder groaned, slapping her hand away one more time before diving into her gargantuan bag. Within a second she had removed a hair elastic, and she forced it into her student’s hair.

“Just…stop fiddling with your hair, it’s driving me freakin’ crazy,” she groaned. “…don’t tell me you can’t even put your own hair up, because then I will cry. Because that’s just ridi-…oh.”

Her words ended as steady footsteps drew closer. Within a split second, a tall and slender lady with an apron and a pair of gloves folded over her arm smiled at the two visitors. She folded the apron over once more, before settling it down on the desk and greeting the two.

“Welcome to Sunrise City’s Gym. Can I help you today?”

“Uh, er…”

“Yeah, this nervous one here wants to start her challenge today,” Aeron gently shoved Crystal forward. Panicked, the young girl stumbled forward, barely catching herself on the desk before shooting a worried glanced back.

“Ah, I see,” the receptionist chuckled gently before straightening out. “…you can relax a little, hun. Everyone’s really nervous when they step into their first gym.”

“Ah, yeah,” Crystal dumbly responded. She began playing with her trainer card and the hair elastic once again, flipping them over in her hands several times.

“There’s no shame in a first challenge. We’re all here to learn. May I please see your trainer card?”

With that, the blonde nearly dropped her ‘lifeline’. She found herself extremely reluctant to hand it over. With a final glance Aeron’s way, she turned the card over. At once the receptionist typed away, fingers punching in numbers at light-speed. Within a moment she handed the card back, though her eyes were still glued to the screen. She hummed, taping her fingers upon the spotless desk, before she beamed.

“Alright, it appears you are all registered and set to begin your challenge. …Sir, I take it you are some sort of friend to the girl?”

“You could…say that, I suppose.” Eru gave a knowing glance towards Crystal.

“Well, I hope you understand the protocol of the gym as it stands…”

“Yep, I know my rights. Spectating in the specified area given for friends and family members of the like.”

“I must also ask that you forfeit any unnecessary health hazards with this specific gym’s protocol, including but not limited to fire Pokemon baring an open flame, Pokemon knowing Fire-type moves in general, lighters, cigarettes-”

“None of which I possess, ma’am,” Aeron arrogantly cut her off with a swat of her hand. “Rest assured, I would never put a cancer stick near my lips, even if my life depended on it…”

The receptionist frowned slightly at the arrogant nature of the trainer, yet decided to drop it at once. “I hope you realize what would happen if we found out, sir…”

“Yeah, yeah, fined to high hell. Look, let’s get this kid in there before she decides to faint first.”

Crystal was more than alright with the constant badgering between the two females. Sweat beaded up to the size of bullets on her face before shooting down to the earth below her, much like the rain began to pound away outside. She couldn’t very well explain it, yet butterflies threatened to spurt out from her mouth at any given moment, or drag her down to the ground unconscious. I…I don’t even…why am I so ner…

“Miss…Hikara, was it?” Immediately Crystal leapt at her name being called. Panicked, she glanced around, before the kind receptionist returned her gaze. “I’ll show you to the battling grounds in which the challenge will take place on. I shall explain the rules of a Pokemon Gym, if you would like, whilst we are headed to the arena.”

The blonde played rapidly with the hair elastic loaned to her. She pleadingly looked to Aeron for some sort of help with the matter. Noting the panicked expression the girl was in, the elder simply stared straight at her, a look of nostalgia plastered curiously over her face. However, she gave a small ‘hmph’, before walking over.

“Guess I have to cry now, since you’re completely incapable of anything…” the fire trainer scoffed, taking the hair elastic from the younger and moving to do her hair for her. Crystal spun around, holding her long hair reluctantly with fury replacing her panic.

“A-Aeron!”

“Might wanna run down everything with this one, ma’am. She’s completely clueless to this entire thing,” Aeron signed, retreating from the girl and pacing herself off towards the left hall. “See ya in a bit, champ…”

“W-wait, Aeron, where are you…where is she going?!” The inexperienced trainer turned meek once again, rubbing her hair at once through her fingertips. The receptionist gave a small sigh, perhaps to herself, before heading through the vestibule before them.

Lush greenery soon shaded the woman and Crystal as they made their way into the gym; all sorts of fauna, flora and trees blinded the new trainer to green whichever way she turned. The air was warm, with a touch of humidity. Various sprinklers poured makeshift rain down onto the plants while the rain roared on the roof. Glancing up, she caught a brief flash of lightning. The sound of a constant trickling caught her ear; she soon allowed herself to lock her eyes with a crowd of various grass type Pokemon. They had gathered around the main centerpiece of the jungle; constantly water spewed up from a hoard of stone Lotad, along from two Lombre and one Ludicolo dancing ceremoniously at the top of the fountain. They completely ignored the approaching footsteps of the admission’s officer and the challenger.

Despite all there was to distract her, Crystal very well knew to strain and listen to the words provided to her. “As I’m sure you already know,” the service lady began, calmly strolling along, “The Beghta Pokemon League prides itself on its battle system. So much, in fact, other regions willingly refer to us as ‘the High Council’ of the Pokemon World Leagues. Granted, it may make battling a touch more difficult, but there are more intensive battles and stronger trainers as a result.

“In a Gym battle, you and you alone are responsible for any choices you may make. However, we have a strict items policy at this gym, a policy many go by. A maximum of three items may be used at any time during a gym battle. You are also subject to follow by any rules that the Gym Leader may impose on you, such as time limit, singles or doubles match style, how many Pokemon may be used, et cetera. However, a gym leader is also forced to use the same amount of Pokemon, and each of the Pokemon must have a tie to the specified element that the Gym Leader controls. In this case, Miss Sylvia specializes…” she hesitated, motioning around the green as they began to emerge in a large clearing somewhat off to the side at the exit of the dome. “In grass types, as you can see. Please keep this in mind for your battle…it is all the help I can truly offer.

“…we have reached the battling arena, Miss Hikara,” the receptionist coughed gently as she had to manually stop Crystal in her steps. The girl nearly jumped out of her daze, blinking many times and darting her eyes about.

“Ah…” the young girl muttered, shuddering slightly from a chill, regardless of the warm temperature in the greenhouse-like dome. “T-thank you for the help,” she awkwardly attempted. Her eyes returned to the scene of the to-be battle; it was bare, the grass ironically stripped down to dampened soil. While a few lines had been painted out in the dirt, the true barrier acted where the earth began to grow weeds and flowers. Stationed not too far away from the field were a few trees and shrubs, before the clearing ended with the thick greenery. The preoccupied trainer didn’t even hear the lady’s response, nor did she care she was leaving.

Her eyes finally fell onto a small bleacher area; in the foremost seat rested Aeron, whom casually waved at her. However, as the girl began approaching, she held up her hand, shaking her head. A quick nod off to her side made the challenging trainer spin around.

“Oh…” It was unclear which of the two young ladies on the field had muttered the word. Before Crystal, the second girl that couldn’t have been a day into her teens curiously brought her earth-soiled hand to the slightly tanned skin of her face. Her teal eyes glanced up and down the trainer as she shuffled about in her petal-textured, plain-rose colored skirt. She wore an earthy top, tiny flowers printed onto it with the same pink color. Carefully the young femme stepped forward on her bare feet. Gently she pulled a strand of her dark brown hair back, trying to resituate it under a headband that appeared to be woven of twigs and silk flowers.

“I have to say, it’s been a while since I’ve had the ability to have my gym open…I must apologize for any delay in your challenge, from current events or otherwise…” the young teen girl spoke, giving a shy smile.

“Ah, no, no, it’s okay!” Crystal waved her hands around gently. “I just got here myself…and we had to deal with Team Missile as it is…and wait, did you say ‘my gym’…?”

Crystal could make out a groan from the stands. A quick glance over proved that Aeron had slapped herself upside the face and soon slumped into the bleachers.

“Yes, of course. I’m sorry, again…I am Sylvia Syrakos, First Gym Leader of Beghta’s High Council,” the teen beamed. “I take it you’re here for a challenge, miss…”

“Ah, yes! Sorry…I’m Crystal Hikara,” the girl began to nearly braid her hair as she took a few reluctant steps forward. The gym leader had begun approaching her, yet paused immediately at the name. She rose her fingers to her lips gently.

“…oh! You’re Kira’s little sister, then?”

“You know my sister?”

“Of course!” Sylvia gave a meek smile, before strolling over quicker and offering her hand. “She and I were travelling companions for a while before duty called me back to my post here at Sunrise. She’s my best bud for life. Haha. She talked a great deal about you during our travels.”

“Ah, I…see…” Crystal slowly shook the Gym Leader’s hand. Her eyes fell to her mentor; she was still doubled-over in disbelief as to what she was hearing. Soon, the sky blue eyes shot to the approaching man dressed in a zebra’s tuxedo. He carried with him two flags; the first nearly shone with the home color of victorious red, while the other shimmered with the visitor’s color of noble blue. “Er…”

“Miss Syrakos, I take it you are ready for battle?” the man plainly stated, as though he had recited the line a half-thousand times before.

“Oh, yes… thank you.” With that, Sylvia turned to Crystal. Her small smile didn’t betray any sort of hesitation. “Well, go on. Take your rightful spot in the blue corner, then…”

Once again Crystal found herself unwilling to move. She heard a small cuss from the bleachers; when she glanced over Eru was directing a death glare straight her way. At once the student scurried over to the block marked with a few violets and blue-bells growing around it. Sylvia casually took her spot amongst a bed of young burgundy tulips.

“This is an official Beghta Pokemon League match! Gym Leader Sylvia Syrakos has accepted Challenger Crystal Hikara’s offer to battle for the first gym badge, the Nature Badge. The Gym Leader will now state the rules of the battle, if it so pleases her.”

At that, the two competitors faced each other. Suddenly the meek façade was dropped in favor for a confident voice. “The battle shall be single battle style, maximum of two Pokemon, no time limit. …You don’t mind the conditions, do you?”

“N-no,” Crystal reluctantly found herself stuttering once more. B-but I only have one Pokemon, Dragola…this isn’t…

“The challenger accepts the suggested rules of the battle! Without any further comments, the battle shall commence!” The referee rose his flags. From the bottom of her shirt and from her waist, Sylvia plucked a Pokeball from hiding and maximized it. She awaited for her challenger to clumsily do the same with her singular Pokeball. Crystal presented the orb holding the Dratini before her, using her remaining hand to stabilize the one offering out the Pokeball. Her stomach performed acrobatics as she awaited the first move of the battle.

“Let’s start things off, Pinchy!” The Gym Leader called, and tossed out her ball in a contrasting gentle manner.

“Uhm…let’s give it our all, Dragola!” Crystal found herself hard to put the words together, yet remained as firm as she could. At once the capsule shook and popped upwards in her hand as the Pokemon obeyed her order and was released.

The sound of thunder rumbling in the distance was muffled by the cries of the two Pokemon that had been released. The Dratini bounced happily about, until she made out the figure of the opponent’s Pokemon. Cautiously she tilted her head towards the side, gazing at the bizarre bug before her. Armed with two pincers colored a bright warning orange like the rest of its body, the bug slowly blinked its large eyes playfully at the dragon before it. The two mushrooms growing off its back shook gently as it crawled forward.

Sylvia seemed to be more surprised than ‘Pinchy’. “Oh, wow…is that a…little dragon, are they called?”

“Dratini…” Crystal corrected slowly. “Her name’s Dragola.”

“I have to say I’m slightly impressed you have one so early on! Dragons aren’t easy to train you know…”

“Round one!” the ref rudely interrupted, raising his flags higher. “Dragola versus Pinchy! Begin!” He swooped the flags down, signaling the beginning of the match.

“Alright, Pinchy. Start things off with Poisonpowder. We don’t want to take that dragon lightly, here!” the Gym Leader ordered, having no problem taking the lead. Crystal flinched back at the command. For a moment, she could have sworn she heard Sleep Powder instead. The stench of the Houndoom came back to her as her heart raced harder.

Suddenly the sound of her Pokemon crying snapped her back into reality. “Ah, ah, Dragola!” she nervously shouted, watching as her Pokemon coiled after inhaling the spores. No, I couldn’t…it was too late…she bit her lip and fought to think of something, anything as a retort. “Ah, uhm, Thunderwave it right back! Are you okay?”

Dragola responded by uncoiling her long body, before somewhat sluggishly releasing a sudden shock-wave of static electricity towards her opponent. The move was so quick Pinchy had no chance to evade; his mushrooms quivered as he nearly collapsed to the ground. Sylvia frowned, rubbing some dirt off her fingers.

“An arm for an arm, hmm…?” the Gym Leader wondered out loud, lightly tapping her bare foot. “Okay, then. Let’s see what we can do here…Pinchy! Close the gap when you can and use your Metal Claw!”

Aeron perked up at the attack name, before giving a knowing glance towards Crystal. The girl, however, was more intent on her Pokemon’s condition. The little serpent shivered gently as sweat began to ooze out of her pours from the toxins spreading through her body. A few of her thin scales began to peel off.

“Dragola, if you can, Wrap up its body so it can’t use that Metal Claw!” she reluctantly ordered. As soon as the words had been spoken, Dragola straightened out with a nod of her head. Pinchy moved forward expectantly, yet had to hesitate as electricity ran over his body. The opposing Pokemon used the opportunity to wrap her long body tightly around the Paras. He groaned in pain, struggling as his pinchers were tucked tightly into his body. Crystal smiled very gently at the situation. Granted, Dragola wouldn’t hold out on the situation forever, yet it was a start. Dragola was doing damage and the opponent wasn’t going to be moving anytime soon.

Of course, the grass-type leader appeared unfazed. “Agility combo to Metal Claw! Use your speed to get a claw loose!”

“Wrap it tighter, Dragola! Don’t let it go that easily!”

Even as the Dratini held on for dear life, constricting the opponent further and making the bug shriek out more, Pinchy managed as he was told; his mushrooms shrunk gently as he managed to remove two of his many legs. Quickly he dug them into the ground below, causing Dragola to unexpectantly jerk forward. The bug dashed forward, pushing his claw forward and out into the open. Soon the color de-saturated from his claw, turning a steely gray. Eyes gleaming, he swung down his mighty claw on the dragon. At once she squealed in pain, and giving one last satisfying, reflexive squeeze, she retreated off.

From the broken skin where the Paras had struck, a lavender liquid seeped out of the dragon. “Ah, Dragola!” Crystal cried, nearly ready to dash forward, until she saw Dragola smiling. Bringing her entire body down to the ground, she made sure to sharply eye the opponent as she rolled herself in the sharp soil. Flecks of white were shaved off her body, until finally she crawled out of the old carapace.

“There! That’s much better!” she joyfully beamed to her trainer. The side-effects from poison had all but disappeared. Sylvia bit her lip at the movement.

“Shed Skin, hm…well, still we can take her down! Pinchy! One more time! Metal Claw!” Reluctantly, Pinchy rose to his feet. He appeared weary from battle, the paralysis taking its toll. However, he rose both claws. Again they turned their bizarre silver color.

“Dragola, he’s on the ropes! Finish it off!” Crystal shouted, her heart pounding. Can we really win this…?

Regardless of her trainer’s doubts, the serpent’s violet eyes gleamed. Suddenly she disappeared, shocking both Gym Leader and Pokemon. Pinchy suddenly coiled about violently, spores leaking from his mushrooms as he arched this way and that. Seconds later, Dragola re-emerged closer to the blue corner, huffing gently and twitching gently. Pinchy had tumbled back and lost consciousness.

The judge bit his lip, unsure of what had happened, but after a moment, he rose the blue flag. “Pinchy is unable to battle! Round one goes to Challenger Crystal!”

“Pinchy…! W-what just happened there…?” Sylvia stuttered, back to her meek self. Soon the grass-bug was resting in his Pokeball. “…I guess we’ll have to watch out for that, won’t we?”

“C-Crystal, I feel funny…” Dragola whined, shivering once more.

“Are you okay?” she knelt down to her Pokemon. The dragon gently shook her head, before she doubled over suddenly. “Dragola!”

“It seems that she got the unlucky side of Effect Spore,” the Gym Leader noted. “She must have been affected by Stun Spore when she attacked Pinchy last. …you should recall her now. It must be tough on her to go through two status conditions in such a short time…”

Crystal gulped as Sylvia tentatively pulled out a fresh Pokeball. Her sky blue eyes swiftly fell down upon the dragon once more, but she forced muscle movement and faced the grass trainer once again. “Dragola…are you sure you can battle?”

The Dratini weakly nodded, gazing at her skin. “If I can shed my skin again of the spores, I think I can continue on…”

Sylvia simply looked on as Crystal stood proud and strong, like her Pokemon. With a small sigh, she gripped her Pokeball firmer. “…alright, I did warn you…Chika! You can take it from here!” The orb flew from her hand once again, and from the bright light a pale spring green Pokemon appeared. With a ‘necklace’ compromised of seeds (or coiled vines, Crystal couldn’t tell which), Chika anxiously wiggled her small, jellybean-shaped body and swung around her crown leaf. Her crimson eyes locked on the Dratini, watching her every move carefully.

“Round two! Dragola versus Chika! Begin!”

“Dragola, go in for another strike! Extremespeed!” Aeron perked up, and brought her hand to her mouth nervously at the command. Her eyes darted to the Gym Leader, who seemed slightly taken aback by the attack’s name.

“Don’t give it a chance, Chika! Vine Whip your way out of there!”

The surprisingly thick vines began to uncoil from a few spots on Chika’s neck, yet when the Dratini disappeared she panicked. She brought the vines down and around her own body, crouching so as to brace for the impact. Chika, like her comrade before her, winced and stumbled from side to side as she was struck by the blinding move. As the dragon reappeared in front of her, though, she appeared far less battered than her fallen friend. At once, the vines uncoiled, only to whip forward and down on Dragola several times with great precision. The serpent cried as she could not escape the lashes.

“Dragola! Hang in there, and try one more time!”

“Lure it in, and then end it with Body Slam!”

The command had been made before Crystal could say a word otherwise. Dragola shifted out of sight once more with Extremespeed. Again Chika braced herself with her vines, although more had been shot out. As the Dratini struck from various angles, the Chikorita fought to tightly grip the ground. As the last strike of the Extremespeed sought to make for a critical hit, the vines suddenly rose together in unison. Dragola shot back into reality, ensnared by the Vine Whip. She shuddered and cried as she was forced down to the ground.

“No!”

Before the trainer could manage an order, Chika rose to her hind legs. Still binding the dragon-type with her Vine Whip, she allowed herself to fall flat onto the serpent. Dragola gave a cry of pain that shot straight into Crystal’s heart. The earth nearly shook from the impact. Once again using her vines, the grass type leapt off of the unmoving Pokemon and landed near the red square.

“D-Dragola! Are you okay?! G-get up!” the new trainer found herself stammering.

A small shiver and whine could be heard from the Dratini. Using all of her strength, she rose herself just a few inches. Her violet eyes locked onto her trainer.

“M-Miss Crystal…I…I’m so…rry…”

With that, the Dratini’s head flopped over as her body turned limp.

“Dragola is unable to battle! Round two and game go to Gym Leader Sylvia!”

Crystal simply stared at the scene. How…how could this happen…? D-Dragola…she’s in a lot of pain, and… Silently, she stepped towards her fallen Pokemon. Even though the wounds were not her own, she felt something painful take over her body. She lifted the unconscious Pokemon tenderly into her arms, gazing in disbelief at the poor serpent. She heard some words from Sylvia, yet they were all in disarray and didn’t make any sense to her.

It’s really all my fault this time…

Crystal suddenly began sprinting, leaving the clearing behind her as she retraced her steps to the gym entrance. She heard Aeron shout something after her, yet she couldn’t make it out. Using her shoulder, she burst into the lobby. Without waiting to hear what question the receptionist had for her, she pushed herself out of the building and out into the rain.

She lifted her eyes as her breaths became labored. The hill that ultimately lead back to Dawndew was the only thing she could make out. The downpour had worsened, and lightning arched over head. Without a thing to stop her, the gifted girl soon became soaked as she sprinted for the hill. Cold began to seep into her bones as she simply ran. Too many thoughts ran through her mind as drops of water began to cloud her vision. The piercing of all her inner organs was too much.

Arriving in the clearing, she simply panted, sinking low to her knees. She had lost her first true match. No-one could listen to her cry as the storm drowned her out.

Nooooooo Dragola :(

Protip for Crystal: Next time, ask your pokémon what attacks it is capable of first, so you can at least keep that in mind when battling!

The fact that even one pokémon was taken down though is surely something, especially for the rookie trainer with no actual experience! However, the whole emotive side of things would clearly take over - especially after the whole "I'll do my best!" speech and whatnot... Aeron's gonna find it so hard to separate these two if she's really hellbent on doing that...

Also, whilst emo is a funny way of putting it, considering what she at her age is going through I think it's perfectly normal to see that come through. Especially with the personality she's been given - veeeery high neuroticism...

I also lol'd a little when Dragola moaned that she couldn't TWave a ground type. That was good :D. The naive youth...

BUT YEAH, HOMEY-C NEEDS TO FIND ME SO THAT SHE CAN PUT DOSE FOOS TO BED WITH MY GHETTO SKILLZ!

The Dratini froze at those words, as though she had been hit with another Ice Beam.

Lol that just made my day. Another great chapter :). I loved how Crystal didn't win because in every story the main character always wins :). I loved it keep writing! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back