Writing Rocket Frontier

Princess of the Dark said:
Well wat happened

Sorry, I've been super busy and haven't been able to get online much to write the next chapter. That and I'm having some major problems with my keyboard (don't be surprised if you see random 7's in some words, that's my keyboard acting up).

Also, after that chapter there was pretty much requested and no-one posted any comments or reviews or anything, I figured no-one was that interested in it and so didn't bother posting the next chapter.

However, I will post the next one asap. It's the first Frontier Battle against Rochelle, it's a good enough chapter, hellish to write (although not as bad to write as chapters 8 and 9 were, and now 11).

I'm currently writing chapter 11. It is killing me, there's so much description involved in it.

Sorry it took so long :)

Chapter 06 ~ Rochelle's Rock Rodeo!​

I sat on my white bed as the sun slowly filled the room. My back was still sore from yesterday. My outfit was ruined. My head hurt. The visions I had been having, at first, they weren’t real. I’d fall unconscious or something. Now it was happening while I was awake. I was seeing things that weren’t actually there. All of it happened physically to my body, but not to anything else. Would it get any better? Why choose me for this? I had so many questions.

There was a knock at the door.

I got out of the bed, still in my pink nightgown, and moved towards the door. I opened it.
Will stood before me, his clothes all changed.

“Good morning!” He smiled as he pushed his green hat up.

He was wearing plain black trousers and t-shirt. On his feet were green boots, his hands sported a pair of green fingerless gloves and, over his t-shirt, was a small green jacket.

“Taking a page out of my book, huh?” I chuckled and motioned to all the green.

He said nothing but laughed.

“You’re awfully happy this morning,” I said. “Good night?”

“If only you knew,” he blushed and turned away from me. “You’d better get dressed; we need to get a move on.”

I closed the door and removed my gown. Well, actually it wasn’t really mine. It belonged to Mimi but she got a new one and gave me this one. It still smelled of her. I placed the gown on the bed and went to my backpack and pulled out my last pair of clothes, which were, funnily enough, also green and black. I squeezed into a green t-shirt and pulled on a pair tight black trousers, which I wore under a pair of green shorts. I also had a pair of green gloves, exactly like Will’s. Odd that, the fact that we were wearing almost exactly the same clothes. Maybe we weren’t so different.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and opened the door.

Will turned to face me and asked, “You just gonna leave that there?”

I turned back and saw the nightgown still on the bed. I ran back for it, grabbed it and stuffed it into my backpack.

“Let’s go!” I yelled and raced out of the centre with Will by the hand.

“Miss? Miss?” A nurse called after me.

I ignored her. We were finally off to meet Rochelle. I was finally going to learn what had happened to my sister. I was not going to stop for anything!
Rushing out of the centre, we just missed this funky looking girl wearing the ugliest dress. Her big creamy cat hissed as we danced out their way.

“Sorry!” Will called back to her.

She yelled something back but I didn’t hear her.

Before long, we were well into the forest.

“Kimi, you gonna slow down?” Will huffed. “I’m exhausted!”

I said nothing and kept moving. I stopped once I heard a thud. I turned around and saw Will on the ground.

What’s up?” I walked back to him.

“I’m tired,” he muttered. “You need to slow down.”

I stayed quiet and sat down on the grass next to him.

“I think, after that at the centre, the Pokémon could use some air.” Will pulled out his four PokéBalls and threw three of them up into the air.

The first ball opened in mid-air, releasing its white energy in the sky. The energy danced in the sky and took the shape of a small purple body, with angry yellow eyes and Dracula teeth. From its body, two large blue wings sprouted at the top, with two smaller leg-wings coming out from the bottom.

The second ball landed on the ground, but was propelled back upwards when the energy was released. The energy bore its way into the ground and vanished. The ground then began to shake and three brown cylinders popped out of the ground. The turned to face me, showing big happy smiles, cheery black eyes and big red noses.

The third ball revealed the creepy Carnivine and all its vines and leafy hands that I saw before. Seeing it again, I felt I would probably get used to it the more I saw it.

The fourth ball, I pressed open. Its energy didn’t go far, just took shape in his arms. It became a small, round pink cutie. It had a little darker pink pouch that stretched right round its feet. In this pouch, it carried what looked like an egg. Its cheeks were red and it had a small tuft of pink hair cropping out of its head.

“Hey there sweetie,” Will smiled down at the little Pokémon and tickled it.

“Happy!” It giggled.

It certainly seemed happy.

I decided that letting out the Pokémon would be a good idea. I reached into my backpack and screamed.

“What?” Will jumped up, clutching the Happiny.

“My Pokémon!” I began to cry. “They’re gone!”

Will and Happiny gasped.

“I must’ve left them at the Pokémon centre!” I sobbed. “God, how could I have been so stupid!” I punched the ground.

“Hey, it’s fine.” Will placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “We can either head back and meet Rochelle tomorrow or we can carry on have them transported, it’s no big deal,” he smiled.

I dried my tears and nodded. He held out his hand and helped me up, supporting the pink sweetheart with his other arm.

“Come on, we’d best hurry,” Will said.

He recalled his Crobat, Dugtrio and Carnivine and we carried on running for Rochelle’s Rumble Rock Range.

It didn’t take too long. The trees were a lot thinner from the centre onwards. We were outta there in no time! We stood in a massive field with a large wooden house built in the middle. From the two back corners of the house, a fence stretched round in a large circle. It was shaped and painted like a big PokéBall; it looked like it was the battlefield.

“Well howdy ya’ll!” a woman with a Texan accent yelled.

She ran towards us from the house. She wore blue denim overalls over a red and white striped t-shirt. Her hair was dark brown, tied in pigtails down to her shoulders, under a straw hat. She wore cowboy boots and had what looked like a rope tied around her waist.

“Hey,” Will waved, “you must be Rochelle.”

“That ah am partner!” They shook hands.

“Hi,” I smiled and nodded to the Frontier Brain.

“So, you guys gonna challenge me, huh?” She laughed and snorted.

“Um, what?” Will asked.

“Don’tcha know hon?” Rochelle looked puzzled. “I fight two-on-two, with ma sister,” she gestured to the house, “Roxi!”

Another woman, looking almost identical except for a wart on her nose, appeared from the house.

“Roxi, this is Kimi and…?” She looked at Will, her eyes wide with curiosity.

She didn’t know who he was. My suspicions suddenly returned. If he was really a guide to the Battle Frontier, why didn’t she know him? You’d think she would, wouldn’t you?

“Will.” He smiled.

“He’s cute,” Roxi’s voice was deep. “Can ah keep him, sis?” She moved towards him, arms outstretched.

I could see the fear in his eyes, the sweat on his face, and the shakiness of his hands.

“Um, I, uh, I’m…” he looked down at the ground nervously.

“He’s taken,” I stood between Will and Roxi. “Back off.”

“Aw…” Roxi moaned.

“Thanks,” Will smiled at me.

“No problem,” I said and added to myself, “lying little nit.”

“Anyways, hons, you two gonna battle us for a Symbol or what?” Rochelle looked from me to Will then back to me.

“I, uh, I can’t,” Will backed away. “I don’t do regular battles, just Contests, actually.”

I couldn’t say I was surprised. Nevertheless, I was annoyed.

“Who’s going to be my partner in this then?” I asked him.

“You don’t even have your Pokémon, you couldn’t battle them anyway!” Will argued.

“Good job I showed up then,” a young female voice declared.

It was that girl we rushed past when we left the centre, the one with the ugly dress. Let me tell you about this knee length dress for a moment - it was blue. Ok, not my favourite colour, but to each his, or her, own. The purple and green floral pattern on it made me hate it. To make matters worse, she wore a green cardigan over it. I mean, honestly, green and blue? You must be kidding. Everything else about her outfit seemed fine though - white pantyhose, black high-heeled dress shoes and the most adorable white brimmed dress hat. I like that hat. That was an awesome hat.

Oh yeah. That nasty big cat with the red jewel and the creepy eyes was there too. It was cream coloured and furry. It had big ears and a little nose. Cute, but creepy. I hated cats.

“Oh my God,” Will’s jaw dropped. “Look at that dress,” he whispered to me.

The girl walked towards me and handed me a belt containing six PokéBalls.

“I’ve been following you since you left, you left these at the centre. The doctor asked me to bring them to you, seeing since I was coming here anyway,” she explained. “By the way, my name is Lisa.”

The big cat meowed loudly.

“And this is Persian,” she said as she petted the cat.

“Okay…” I snatched the balls from her and tied them around my waist.

Lisa turned her attention to Rochelle and Roxi and asked, “if we both battle you, do we get a Symbol each?”

“Uh-huh,” the girls nodded.

“Nice,” she turned to me and smiled. “I’ve only got one more and then I’m off to find the seventh and final Challenge.”

“You must be so proud,” I said venomously.

Her Persian hissed at me, instantly silencing me. Touchy little kitty.

“So, now,” Rochelle clapped her hands together, “let’s get on with this!”

We moved through the almost empty house to the back stadium. For a Pokémon Range, it was bare.

“Here are the rules, loves!” Roxi yelled across the field. “One Pokémon each, first team to lose both loses!”

“Begin!” Will raised up both arms.

Will was to be the referee to for this match.

“Let’s go hon!” Rochelle rolled a PokéBall out into the stadium.

The ball rolled out and burst open.

The white energy from it took the shape of a large creamy horse, with beautiful silver flames dancing around its legs. This fire stretched from the horn on its head right down its back to form a tail too.

“Let’s go love!” Roxi threw her ball into the air.

The ball spiralled back and exploded open.

The white energy from this danced into the shape of brown ostrich type creature with three heads. As soon as it finished forming, the three heads starting pecking at each other, but stopped once they noticed Lisa throw a ball onto the field.

Lisa’s ball bounced along the ground until, while in the air, it opened to reveal a giant blue walrus creature with a furry white face. The air around it froze as it exhaled. It opened its large mouth, showing off its great tusks.

“You have a Walrein?” I asked.

This girl was certainly tougher than she looked.

“Yes,” Lisa smiled. “What are you gonna use?” she asked.

That was a good question. I thought on it for just a second when, all of a sudden, one of the balls on my belt opened by itself. The energy started by forming two red boots. Over them came a tangled mess of green vines over a round, black body. On the body, two bright white eyes opened and the creature jumped and stretched. While it stretched, a group of stars danced around its body.

“Finally!” he cried happily.

“Tangela!” I called out to it.

“Let the battle begin!” Will’s arms fell back down to his sides.

“Rapidash, use Fire Spin on Tangela!” Rochelle ordered.

“Dodrio, use Tri Attack on Walrein!” Roxi commanded.

The fire horse raised up on its hind legs and fired a ring of fire at Tangela.

“Dodge it and counter with Poison Powder!” My voice trembled as I gave the command.

I was so scared. Walrein stood a chance here but Tangela was at an extreme disadvantage.

Tangela raised up on two of his vines, using them to help him jump over the fire. Once above Rapidash, his body began to shake and little speckles of purple powder floated effortlessly down on Rapidash. Once on the horse, they were absorbed into its body. Tangela then landed on Rapidash’s back, burning himself on its fiery back. He withstood the pain and hopped back to his original position.

From one of Dodrio’s heads, a beam of ice shot at Walrein. From the middle one, a bolt of electricity. In addition, from the final head, a stream of fire. All three elements combined into a twisted mass of power.

“Walrein!” Lisa called out to her blue beast. “Stop it with Aurora Beam!”

Walrein inhaled deeply and, as it exhaled, a small beam of rainbow-coloured ice shot towards the Tri-Attack. As soon as it made contact, the Aurora Beam double in size, adding to its power.

The two beams pressed back and forth against each other until the two Pokémon were too tired to do any more.

“Rapidash, let’s try Bounce!” Rochelle smiled.

“Bounce?” I asked.

“Walrein looks tired,” Roxi s******ed. “Dodrio, let’s keep it awake with an Uproar!”

Rapidash ran and jumped way into the air. All I saw was a flurry of fire and then it was gone, absorbed by the clouds.

Dodrio’s three mouths opened and three rings of sounds shot for Walrein.

“Walrein, let’s show ‘em some skill!” Lisa looked confident. “Jump through those rings and use Ice Beam when you’re close enough!”

Walrein hopped through all three of the rings and, it very nearly landed on Dodrio, once near the big bird, it opened its mouth, preparing to fire its freeze ray. Before it had a chance to finish though, the giant fireball that was Rapidash came crashing down on it.

“No!” Lisa cried out and sorted her dress.

“Tangela, quickly use grab Walrein and get it out of the way!” I shouted, desperate to save my partner’s Pokémon.

Tangela’s green vines stretched out for Walrein. They wrapped around it but he couldn’t move the giant creature.

Rapidash landed on Walrein’s back. Using the blue walrus as a trampoline, the fire horse bounced back up and headed for Tangela.

“Walrein, get up and help Tangela!” Lisa continued to play with her dress nervously.

Walrein, using all of its strength, bounded towards Tangela and tackled him out of the way. Rapidash landed on Walrein again, this time bouncing back over to its trainer.

“Dodrio, Drill Peck!” Roxi said to her Pokémon.

Walrein fell to the ground.

We all stood in silence for a long time, staring at the collapse of the great beast.

Lisa pulled out the PokéBall and was about to return Walrein.

“Give it a minute!” Will called out to her. “It’ll be fine!”

She returned the ball reluctantly and looked at her Walrein, tears forming in her eyes.

Suddenly, Dodrio appeared from behind it, almost running over it, and stabbed Tangela with three spinning beaks. After the assault, Dodrio jumped back onto Walrein.

“Vine Whip!” I said angrily.

Tangela reached out his vines weakly and grabbed Dodrio, strangling it and threw it across the field into Rapidash.

“Get up you fools!” Rochelle hissed.

The speedy Pokémon raised to their feet and glared angrily at the exhausted Walrein and Tangela. Walrein got back to its feet, ready for more.

“That’s one tough Walrein,” I smiled at my battle partner.

“Thank you,” Lisa said. “Your Tangela’s not half bad either.”

“Let’s finish this!” Roxi screamed. “Dodrio, use Agility, run around those two idiots!”

Dodrio cried out and ran towards Tangela and Walrein. It spun around them at an incredible rate, kicking up a wall of dust around them. They were trapped.

“Rapidash, finish them off with Flare Blitz!” Rochelle cackled evilly.

Rapidash raised up on its back legs again and took in a deep breath. It held its breath for as long as possible and then released a giant fireball that sped towards our Pokémon. It floated above them for a moment and then came crashing down. Dodrio zipped back to its place beside its partner.

Once the dust had cleared, Tangela and Walrein could be seen, knocked out cold.

“Walrein and Tangela are unable to battle!” Will announced. “Victory goes to the Frontier Brains, Rochelle and Roxi!”

The two women returned their Pokémon.

“Good battle,” they smiled. “Not!”

Lisa and I ran over to our Pokémon while the Brains returned to their house. Will joined us.

“That was a bit harsh,” I complained.

“Yeah, something’s definitely not right here,” Will nodded.

“Like you don’t already know!” Lisa said angrily and recalled her Walrein. “It’s obvious you are not on our side!” she walked away.

“What?” Will ran towards her. “What do you mean?”

“After that second Bounce, Walrein wad done, you should’ve let me recall him!” Lisa got right up in his face. “But you let them brutally attack him!”

Lisa walked away again, going towards the house.

“We’ll fight them again,” I recalled Tangela, “and we’ll win next time.”

I looked towards Lisa. She nodded. I then realised that she was just as determined as I was to win that Symbol.

“Come on,” I said as I ran across the field to the house.

“Where are we going?” Will asked.

He and Lisa ran to catch up.

I crouched just below on of their windows and peered inside.

“What are we doing?” Will asked loudly.

“Ssh!” Lisa whispered and dragged him down below the window.

We all peered inside and saw three girls, identical except for minor details. Like Roxi, the third one was the same as Rochelle, only she had a mole on her neck. They were talking. We could see their lips moving but couldn’t hear them. Rochelle picked up a remote control and pressed a button on it. A large screen rose from the floor.

The screen flickered and the slender shape of a woman in a dark red leather coat appeared. She looked like the woman who attacked me in the forest.

The three of them were talking. The third Rochelle clone nodded and went out of the room. She returned a few moments later with woman with long blonde hair. She was wearing a pink shirt and a turquoise skirt.

“Oh God,” I gasped.

It was Mimi! They had her! It had been them all along!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The next chapter Special! Lisa's Frontier Challenge! will be posted soon. The character of Lisa comes from a fic by a friend on SPPF. I will provide a link with the next chapter if you wanna check it out.

Well, here is the next chapter. This chapter is the first Special chapter to be posted. It focuses entirely on Lisa and her journey through the Battle Frontier, enjoy!

Chapter 07 ~ Special! Lisa's Frontier Challenge

one month ago…

“Finally!” a girl with long brown hair in a blue floral dress sighed as she stepped off a small white boat. She had put away a book, entitled, “Advanced Calculus and Algebraic Equations” into her bag. It had been a long boat ride from the port in historic Charleston, but she was now here to embark on her next Pokémon challenge.

“You can find the closest Frontier facility here,” an old man pointed to a nearby city, “Kylah City.”

The girl in the blue dress, fixing her white dress hat, looked towards the city and smiled, “My first Frontier battle, I can’t wait!”

She ran off excitedly towards the large buildings.

“Oops!” she cried and ran back. “Thank you,” she nodded to the boat owner.

“No problem Lisa,” the old man was already preparing to leave. “Good luck!” he called as he sped out of the port.

“Bye!” Lisa waved. “Now, let’s go!”

She soon found herself surrounded by tall white buildings, all with tinted blue windows. The sky and air was so clear here. It was truly beautiful. After wandering around for a long time, she managed to reach the Pokémon Centre.

“Good day,” a young nurse said pleasantly. “How might I be of service?”

“I’m looking for the closest Frontier facility,” Lisa explained.

All of her Pokémon were fine so she had no need to heal them. All she had done on the boat was relax and work on some math research for a professor at a college near her hometown. She figured her Pokémon would be in some tough battles so they would probably benefit from a rest first.

“The nearest one is right around the corner,” the nurse pointed to a large tower. “It’s the Battle Tower, located right in the centre of our great city, run by the famous Layla DeAmbos, sister to Sam DeAmbos.”

Lisa had heard of Sam DeAmbos, she was the woman who took over all the Pokémon Centres after the Joy family passed over ownership. Her son, a member of the notorious Team Rocket, was among the group who died protecting Team Rocket’s Goldenrod Base in the final battle against two of the toughest trainers in the world, a water Pokémon master and a Contest queen. The pair apparently died in the destruction of the base as well, but there was no official word.

Layla had been on leave from the Frontier Brains when her sister’s son died and returned once she was sure her sister was fine. On what would have been Sam’s son’s next birthday, she apparently killed herself, although murder was never ruled out. Layla, obviously devastated, turned to intense training and quickly became one of the top Frontier Brains.

All of this intrigued Lisa as she enjoyed a good mystery, but she had to focus. She was here to challenge Layla DeAmbos and win her first Frontier Symbol!

Thanking the nurse before she forgot, Lisa dashed out of the centre and headed straight for the tower in the centre of town.

The tower itself was round, starting thick at the base and thinning as it neared a large dome at the top. The dome was, obviously, where the battles took place.

Inside, all there was, was a long winding staircase that went up and up. Lisa bolted up them two at a time until she reached the top.

Inside the top dome was a large circular garden, with two small ponds at either side. White painted lines formed the outline of the battlefield.

Standing just inside the dome, next to Lisa now, was a woman wearing a tight black skirt that stretched down to her feet. Her torso was covered by a fluffy green polo sweater with the sleeves cut off, revealing a tight black shirt underneath. The woman had curly orange hair, which had been hastily tied back and looked desperate for some conditioner.

“Are you here to challenge me?” Her voice was raspy, like she had a bad cough.

“Um, yes,” Lisa hesitated slightly before answering.

The woman pulled out a cell phone from somewhere behind her and spoke into it, “Grant? I’ve got a challenger,” she coughed. “Get up here now!”

“Must I, really?” Lisa could hear him. “I’m a bit busy - hey, that’s not fair, I’m pre-occupied!” he giggled.

There was someone else with him, another boy. Lisa’s eyes widened as she thought of what could be going on. She quickly shook off the thoughts, pretending they never popped into her head, and began to fidget with her blue dress.

“Are you?” the woman began to gasp. “Is that my son with you?” her voice raised.

“Um, no…” Grant said uncertainly.

Someone else took the phone.

“Mum?” the other guy sounded terrified. “I’m really sorry but -”

“Shut up!” Layla interrupted. “Grant, I need you here now and, Will, just go home!” Layla then turned her attention to the girl before her and hung up.

The Frontier Brain stood staring at a very nervous Lisa until Grant appeared. The boy wore a brown coat and blue jeans, with short black curly hair and a beard to match.

“This will be a one-on-one battle between…uh, what’s your name?” he asked the girl.

“Lisa,” she replied.

“Between Lisa,” he continued, “and Tower Taskmaster Layla! Begin!”

“I choose you, Tentacruel!” the Taskmaster cried as she threw a yellow and black ball out onto the circular field.

From the ball emerged a large blue blob with red crystals on either side. A black orb supported this blob and many, many grey tentacles held it up on the ground. Also coming out from the front and back of its black body were two long blue spikes. They looked sharp.

It raised two of its tentacles and shouted, “Tenta!”

“Wow,” Lisa gasped and scanned the Pokémon with her PDA.

From the small device, a voice emanated. It said, “Tentacruel, the Jellyfish Pokémon. With eighty tentacles for ensnaring victims, it prevents escape until the prey is weakened by poison. It alerts others to danger by stridently flashing the red orbs on its head.”

“So,” Lisa smiled wickedly and pulled out a PokéBall, “a Water type?” She tossed the ball out onto the field. “I know the solution to this equation! Let’s get calculatin’! ”

three weeks ago…

Admiring her first Frontier Symbol - the Gain Symbol - Lisa continued travelling the Hanlanger Islands, searching high and low for her next challenge.

Her next big battle was to be found in the depths of the Gyra Jungle, where she would challenge Canopy Collider Seth, leader of Canopy Castle.

“Couldn’t they build this place so it would be easier to get to? If I rip my outfit, I will throw a fit…”

In the middle of all of these trees…well, actually, on top of all of these trees, held up by a dense canopy of branches and leaves, sat a big white castle with a pink roof.

“I assume you are my next challenger?” a deep male voice asked.

Lisa turned around to see a very muscular man wearing an army outfit. He vanished into some bushes and reappeared behind her.

“I’m not like most Frontier Brains,” he smiled.

Lisa turned around, obviously startled by his trick.

“You think you can win?” he sneered.

Pulling out a PokéBall she smiled back, “Oh yeah! I’ll differentiate your function!”

two weeks ago…

Now she had three symbols: the Gain Symbol from Tower Taskmaster Layla, the Secret Symbol from Canopy Collider Seth, and, most recently, the Equal Symbol from Cloud Keeper Skye.

The fourth challenge was just up ahead, against Volcano Vixen Lilly, a master of fire types.

The battle she found herself in took place in a protective dome located deep within the volcano on Spear Island.

Lisa’s Persian was facing off against Lilly’s Ninetales. They had both already lost two Pokémon each - Lisa’s Metagross had lost to Lilly’s Magmortar, which in turn was defeated by Weezing. Weezing had then lost to Torkoal, which Persian was able to finish off.

Lilly currently had the advantage, Ninetales was fresh out whereas Persian was huffing and puffing from the battle with Torkoal.

“Ninetales, Flamethrower!” Lilly was confident she’d win.

The sleek silver fox with nine flowing tails inhaled deeply, drawing in hot air with which to fuel its fire. From deep within its body, something ignited and flames sparked out from Ninetales moving, firing at Persian.

“Quick, counter it with Water Pulse!” Lisa cried, worried she might lose.

Persian concentrated, preparing Water Pulse, getting ready to release it at the last possible second so that it would be more effective.

Just as the flames came closer, Persian shot out a few rings of water, held by a strange energy. They engulfed the flames, completely putting them out, and carried on to Ninetales. The water alone was enough to damage the fox, but the energy within it caused confusion.

“Yes! Try THAT equation on for size!” Lisa cheered.

Ninetales stumbled about, falling everywhere, tripping over its own feet and tails.

“Ninetales, come on baby, snap out of it!” Lilly called to it reassuringly.

Ninetales simply refused to obey and suddenly began whipping itself with its tails. It cried out in pain and snapped out of the confusion.

Lisa smiled, pleased with what she’d just done, commanded, “alright Persian, finish it off with Scratch!”

Persian extended claws from its two front paws and leapt towards Ninetales, cutting it across the face. Ninetales jumped back in shock and shook off the attack.

“Sorry girlie but it’s gonna take a lot more than that to put this one down!” Lilly laughed. “Use Fire Spin, baby!”

“Use Water Pulse, don’t let the flames get you!” Lisa shouted, her voice echoing around the protective dome.

Ninetales and Persian fired rings of red and blue, fire and water. The attacks collided, causing a massive explosion. They had cancelled each other out. Because of the blast, both Ninetales and Persian were knocked back and fell to the ground.

The one that got back up would be the winner.

“Come Persian, I know you can do this!” Lisa called out to her big cat.

It remained silent.

“Ninetales, come on, baby, get up,” Lilly whimpered, tears in her eyes.

Ninetales grunted as it struggled to get to its feet. It was almost fully up when, out of nowhere, a final blue ring of energy-fuelled water knocked it back down. Persian was up!

The silver fox collapsed, its nine tails falling over it, and it did not get back up.

Today…

She couldn’t believe it, she had finally earned her sixth symbol! Lisa was just entering a Pokémon Centre on Juxa Island, when a boy and girl wearing green and black outfits rushed past her. Lisa’s Persian hissed viciously at them as they rushed past, shouting a lame apology.

“Weirdos,” Lisa muttered and went inside.

She handed over her Pokémon for treatment and sat on a plastic blue seat, admiring the six symbols she had earned:

The Gain Symbol, received from Tower Taskmaster Layla at the Battle Tower.
The Secret Symbol, received from Canopy Collider Seth at the Battle Canopy.
The Equal Symbol, received from Cloud Keeper Skye at the Battle Cloud.
The Beauty Symbol, received from Volcano Vixen Lilly at the Battle Volcano.
The Protect Symbol, received from Castle King Kenneth at the Battle Castle.
The Life Symbol, received from Garden Governess Freya at the Battle Garden.

“I can’t believe it, just one more to go,” Lisa gleamed as she looked at the six symbols. “And, once I get that one, I’ll find out where the final Frontier Challenge is.”

“Your Pokémon are all fine, miss,” a nurse handed Lisa back her PokéBalls.

Lisa immediately released Persian, saying, “Walk with me a while, will you?”

Persian said nothing but licked her hand, which she knew meant ‘yes.’

“You know,” the nurse said as Lisa was preparing to leave, “there is a Frontier Facility on this island. Rochelle, the leader, owns a range just a little ways into the forest.”

The nurse pointed to the trees that the boy and girl were rushing in.

“Two trainers, one of whom actually left her Pokémon here, are heading there now,” the nurse continued. “Could I ask you deliver these to her?” she asked, handing over six PokéBalls. “I’m sure you’ll be able to reach her on time.”

Lisa nodded and put the balls into her backpack. She thanked the nurse and, along with her cat Pokémon, she dashed off into the forest, ready to discover what her final Frontier Challenge would bring her.

As promised, here's a link to the fic Lisa is from:

Lurking In The Shadows: Lisa's Ultimate Challenge!

The next chapter, You Never Loved Me, will be posted on Sunday afternoon.

Back