News 'Roaring Skies' Getting Another Print Run!

This doesn't mean that Roaring Skies will be in Standard Format again, right? It's pretty weird that they're (presumably) releasing one of their most popular sets alongside an all new expansion.

EDIT: Whoops. Already got answered.

Im pretty shure that in roaring skies the EX ratio is 1 in 8 packs. i wonder if instead of an ex being thunderus or gallade there will be more shaymins and Rays? ( i mean more shaymins printed ) Im personaly worried that roaring skies will sell out before i can get to them!

Ok, first off I would like to clear up the misconception that if you don't agree with my opinions you should go and play another game. That is not what I meant at all and I believe that was a huge misunderstanding.
Can you see how I may have come away from your previous post with that notion? Still, I will operate under the assumption you did not mean such a thing and move on; try not to bring it back up yourself...

Also, how was I dismissive?

...C'mon, you walked right into that one. ;) If you do not understand why I found your previous post dismissive, consider your post in light of

1) You telling me I should quit the game and play something else (you may not have meant it, but at the time I said you were being dismissive, that is what I thought).
2) You disregarding my own argument and responding instead to the claim I already challenged. I suspect by what you said after that you didn't even catch what I said.

I simply stated that this game isn't as screwy as people thought. If you have the time and effort to put into getting a Shaymin or two that's great. That didn't make the format unbalanced.

Now, what was it I initially posted in response to your initial assertion of this premise?

You are correct; Shaymin-EX made an already unbalanced format more unbalanced. ;) I get it, there are TCGs with worse formats out there, but please at least entertain the notion that in a TCG like Pokémon already suffering from pacing issues, creating another way to speed things up was not what the TCG needed.

I was not saying that Shaymin-EX made the game unbalanced; I asserted that the game was already unbalanced and the addition of Shaymin-EX exacerbated the problem. Two brief examples are the loss of the first turn rule and the natural imbalance between Pokémon Stages. First turn attacks have long been an issue in this game, but for several years instead of being a source of donks, it was more practical to focus on using that attack to aid in your setup. This left time and often aided in setting up Evolutions. With the game's designers creating more and more attackers who could hit hard first turn, including cards that could be used as main attackers (and not just opening attackers), problems arose because the game mechanics aren't meant for that. Evolution cards need time to Evolve, but with this pacing, they must instead hit the field through shortcuts, possess such strength that they can make a comeback after suffering heavy losses, or both.

Shaymin-EX did not create this state; it dates all the way back to the beginning of the TCG. There have been periods where it has not been as large a problem, indeed where had you asked me I would have insisted there was no problem at all. It has been a problem since at least the BW-era; Shaymin-EX simply made this problem with pacing even worse.

If you had asked me a few months ago whether I thought Shaymin was a problem in this game, I would have said YES. But I realized that its not a problem because people can choose whether they want to take the leap into competitive play.

The competitive scene is a part of playing the Pokémon TCG; casual play is a modification of this, kind of like when you play a video game with house rules like "No using the Blue Shell in Mario Kart!". Sure among friends people could insist "No Shaymin-EX!", and you can politely decline to face some people at Pokémon League, but it isn't like only the top decks benefit from Shaymin-EX; they may benefit disproportionately, but even many mediocre or bad decks are still better with Shaymin-EX.

What is more, do remember that the scarcity of Shaymin-EX is entirely artificial and the fault of TPCi. There isn't some expensive material that goes into the card; it is rare because of a rarity scheme that exists via fiat. The fact that Shaymin-EX is in such high demand is specifically because R&D made it such a useful card; as it isn't an original card - simply a slight nerf of Uxie (DP: Legends Awakened 43/146) - the demand should have been no surprise. Both reflect poorly on a company trying to sell us a product.

Finally, some people have less of a choice in being competitive. Of course, someone can elect not to play, but it is quite a blow for someone who has been playing for almost two decades to have to practically sit the game out until he or she can afford to buy a copy or two of Shaymin-EX. Those playing via the PTCGO may need to focus on competitive play to continue playing; earning in-game rewards to supplement redemption codes from actual purchases. I myself switched to a PTCGO-only player back in 2014. I also already have four Shaymin-EX, obtained shortly after the release of XY: Roaring Skies, so its scarcity technically helps me.

So I would love if you could bring to my attention how I put words in your mouth or dismissed your views. I also brought a basic premise that challenged your argument while challenging you to provide a better answer.

There you go. You may not have meant for your comment about Yo-kai Watch to seem like you telling me to go play a different game because I disagreed with you, but understanding that is how I took it, I would hope it obvious why it made your post seem dismissive. As did you refuting an argument I wasn't making; I stated that Shaymin-EX made an already unbalanced game worse. I also pointed out that just because Pokémon may be better than another, successful TCG, that doesn't mean it is automatically good; you didn't answer either of these things.

Whether you agree with me or not, I hope that finally clears things up.

Can you see how I may have come away from your previous post with that notion? Still, I will operate under the assumption you did not mean such a thing and move on; try not to bring it back up yourself...

...C'mon, you walked right into that one. ;) If you do not understand why I found your previous post dismissive, consider your post in light of

1) You telling me I should quit the game and play something else (you may not have meant it, but at the time I said you were being dismissive, that is what I thought).
2) You disregarding my own argument and responding instead to the claim I already challenged. I suspect by what you said after that you didn't even catch what I said.

Now, what was it I initially posted in response to your initial assertion of this premise?

I was not saying that Shaymin-EX made the game unbalanced; I asserted that the game was already unbalanced and the addition of Shaymin-EX exacerbated the problem. Two brief examples are the loss of the first turn rule and the natural imbalance between Pokémon Stages. First turn attacks have long been an issue in this game, but for several years instead of being a source of donks, it was more practical to focus on using that attack to aid in your setup. This left time and often aided in setting up Evolutions. With the game's designers creating more and more attackers who could hit hard first turn, including cards that could be used as main attackers (and not just opening attackers), problems arose because the game mechanics aren't meant for that. Evolution cards need time to Evolve, but with this pacing, they must instead hit the field through shortcuts, possess such strength that they can make a comeback after suffering heavy losses, or both.

Shaymin-EX did not create this state; it dates all the way back to the beginning of the TCG. There have been periods where it has not been as large a problem, indeed where had you asked me I would have insisted there was no problem at all. It has been a problem since at least the BW-era; Shaymin-EX simply made this problem with pacing even worse.

The competitive scene is a part of playing the Pokémon TCG; casual play is a modification of this, kind of like when you play a video game with house rules like "No using the Blue Shell in Mario Kart!". Sure among friends people could insist "No Shaymin-EX!", and you can politely decline to face some people at Pokémon League, but it isn't like only the top decks benefit from Shaymin-EX; they may benefit disproportionately, but even many mediocre or bad decks are still better with Shaymin-EX.

What is more, do remember that the scarcity of Shaymin-EX is entirely artificial and the fault of TPCi. There isn't some expensive material that goes into the card; it is rare because of a rarity scheme that exists via fiat. The fact that Shaymin-EX is in such high demand is specifically because R&D made it such a useful card; as it isn't an original card - simply a slight nerf of Uxie (DP: Legends Awakened 43/146) - the demand should have been no surprise. Both reflect poorly on a company trying to sell us a product.

Finally, some people have less of a choice in being competitive. Of course, someone can elect not to play, but it is quite a blow for someone who has been playing for almost two decades to have to practically sit the game out until he or she can afford to buy a copy or two of Shaymin-EX. Those playing via the PTCGO may need to focus on competitive play to continue playing; earning in-game rewards to supplement redemption codes from actual purchases. I myself switched to a PTCGO-only player back in 2014. I also already have four Shaymin-EX, obtained shortly after the release of XY: Roaring Skies, so its scarcity technically helps me.

There you go. You may not have meant for your comment about Yo-kai Watch to seem like you telling me to go play a different game because I disagreed with you, but understanding that is how I took it, I would hope it obvious why it made your post seem dismissive. As did you refuting an argument I wasn't making; I stated that Shaymin-EX made an already unbalanced game worse. I also pointed out that just because Pokémon may be better than another, successful TCG, that doesn't mean it is automatically good; you didn't answer either of these things.

Whether you agree with me or not, I hope that finally clears things up.
Holy crap man! Simply trying to respond to this comment has nearly melted my computer:p

Lets see if I can respond to this bit by bit. The Yo Kai Watch statement was not to put ANYONE down. You taking it that way was your own choosing.

I was not being dismissive I was simply providing a counter argument.

I fear that this slight tiff between us has crossed over into more personal territory and not opinion based. Im sorry if I offended you by my comments, however I am trying not to make anybody mad on this site. Hopefully I haven't already failed at that.

Holy crap man! Simply trying to respond to this comment has nearly melted my computer:p

Lets see if I can respond to this bit by bit. The Yo Kai Watch statement was not to put ANYONE down. You taking it that way was your own choosing.

I was not being dismissive I was simply providing a counter argument.

I fear that this slight tiff between us has crossed over into more personal territory and not opinion based. Im sorry if I offended you by my comments, however I am trying not to make anybody mad on this site. Hopefully I haven't already failed at that.

See... now my attempts at levity aren't working for you. XD

Tell you what; I'm just going to drop it. I'm failing at communication, and I've done this way too many times before for me to think it will end well if I push to continue. Have a good week. :)

What if this was an elaborate prank by Pokemon and they leave out Shaymin in the reprint run just to laugh at everyone who rushes through 100+ packs?

In France we need the print of gym set and skyridge. And the reprint of néo sets because the price is horrible.

Shaymin EX is Already 40-55 bucks on ebay now, and amazon. Once the booster packs are back on the shelves, I expect it to go down to 35, which was its normal price a few years ago. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I don't think the price of Shaymin EX will drop any and thats because RS will sell out before most people can get them, which will inflate the price.

Another thing I forgot to consider is the reason they didn't print Shaymin-EX in a box or tin and that is because of the time they put Mewtwo-EX in a tin, they all sold out and the promo went to like 30-40 bucks. The same thing could happen with Shaymin-EX and they may want to avoid that but I seriously doubt they are making drop rates on Shaymin-EX favorable.

Maybe a little. I don't see it doing so massively, though. I can't imagine this sells in enough volume that the number of Shaymin in circulation goes up significantly.

I suspect that the near future will be a great time to buy Trainer's Mail, though. It'll probably go back up, but given that unlike Rayquaza or Shaymin, it's an Uncommon, its availability WILL go up a lot, reducing its price at least in the short term.

Just to let you guys know...I just opened a pack of Roaring Skies from my local hobby store and got a Shaymin Ex out of just 3 packs. So it is definitely obtainable in the new release boxes. They just got the boxes in, so I know it is from the reprint boxes.

Last edited:
Back